Stupid mistakes on Tests.

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Durin

Stupid mistakes on Tests.

Postby Durin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:10 am UTC

I know this is a plague amongst many of my friends especially in Math or Science classes. We all know how to do the problems and do them and get some answer only to flip a sign or change random values mid-problem or some other silly error. I know it's turned tests I'd get perfect scores on into a middle or low B.

Any stories echoing this awful situation or stories of success overcoming subconscious idiocy?

kevmus

Re: Stupid mistakes on Tests.

Postby kevmus » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:15 am UTC

For math tests, I do the problems twice.

Normally I'm fast enough that I have enough time, otherwise I only redo the harder/longer ones.

If I get 2 different answers, I either redo it again and go with the most common answer, or try to find my error.

The other part is basic error-checking. On a physics test I got the moon's speed to be around 100 times the speed of light. I knew that was wrong, so I crossed out the page and redid it.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:18 am UTC

On a spelling test at the age of 12-13 I spelt the word 'fuel' wrong.
Of course, I managed to get 'hypothesis' right but got fuel wrong.
Ⓞⓞ◯

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:40 am UTC

This is me often, though not exactly flipping signs. I'll know all the theory and be firmly grounded in all the more complicated stuff, only to forget some minor, trivial thing I know intuitively and never even need to think about. I had a class where I forgot which direction the subset symbol works in (this wasn't a class on set notation, it just used it for the question), and on a linear algebra test I forgot whether matrices have their dimensions listed as row x column or column x row. When I'm stumped by something like this I inevitably make the wrong decision, then realize my mistake the minute I leave the room.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:46 am UTC

That's essentially the case for me throughout my education in mathematics. It's always kept me from getting perfects.
My advice is to either concentrate really intensely on each problem, regardless of its difficulty level, and maybe mutter the steps that you're writing down as you do the problem. That has helped me decrease the amount of errors on tests. An alternative is to do so many practice problems to the point where you almost can't make a mistake.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Ventanator

Postby Ventanator » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:04 am UTC

I do that constantly. It's never on the hard problems that you think to go back and check either. It's the ones that are so simple that you think, "I can't miss this!"

Also, it always seems to be something so small that you would never think to correct it without starting the problem completely over again. I hate it.

Two-Fry

Postby Two-Fry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:13 am UTC

Happens all the time. I could start re checking all my tests, but it normally just drops me from a 100 to 95ish, so I shrug and file it under shit happens. I use the time after I finish a test to sort through some random thoughts I have bouncing around my head and stay sane, and to me that's much more valuable that 5 percent on a test.
podbaydoor wrote:^What this person said.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:22 am UTC

The integral of x8/(x+1) .

I came so bluddy close to acing Calc 2 entirely, but I neglected the final +1 in the series. Yes, it was twelve years ago now (eep) and I should probably forget it. But it makes such a good story. ;)

Not quite as good as viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47453 , though. That one finally paid off recently...

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:31 am UTC

I have a genuine gift for rather amusing arithmatic errors(and that time I bombed a test because I went blank on taylor series construction)

The best one I can remember is

100+1+100+8=-2

Then there was the time a graph on my calculator was upside down for no apparent reason, after checking that it was put in the same as everyone else about 5 times I just turned it off which thankfully fixed the problem.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:36 am UTC

I would agree with most people here in that it just comes down to 'shit happens'. I got 99% in my maths exam last year - lost one mark for adding instead of subtracting, and one mark for writing a range of x<2 instead of -2<x<2.

On the rare tests which I get 100% on, I find that it's not always that I check everything over 3 or 4 times - on a calc test for chem, I got 100% even though I just managed to finish it in time, no checking through. Preparing for that was just me doing loads of practise problems and doing them quickly, to simulate the pressure in a test situation. Do that enough times, and you should become better at answering things quickly, tidily, and accurately.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

I miss the small things all the time in math. I'll add wrong, or flip a sign, or forget the gorram +C. It'll usually cost me about 2-3% on the tests I take.

The worst part about these mistakes is that doing these problems again dosen't help -- I'll make the same mistake every time. It's like a mental block or something.

Fun stories about stupid math mistakes:

On a matrix test in eighth grade, I missed a problem, but my teacher only wrote (-1). So I looked at the problem, but I couldn't figure out what the mistake was. Finally, I asked: apparently 2*3=7. :D
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

grapefruit1

Postby grapefruit1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:21 am UTC

The worst is when you actually DO get the right answer, but fill in the wrong one on the bubble sheet. That's cost me many a 100%.
"If someone asks you, 'Are you ticklish?', it doesn't matter whether you answer yes or no. They're going to touch you."
- Demetri Martin

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 am UTC

Only thing I can think of is that recently on a Genetics test I wrote that AaBb x AaBb would result in a 1:1:1:1 ratio, which is AaBb x aabb, not a dihybrid cross. It screwed over the rest of the question, and I it was a silly mistake, but that wasn't a good day for me besides. Then I reminded myself it wasn't a huge deal.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:48 am UTC

See: my math grades
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:08 am UTC

Pulled a nice one off today

On a test that various kids from school take(state competition, mostly for fun no awards I know of)

If you flip 6 fair coins what are the odds of exactly 1 tail and 5 heads

I wrote 5/64
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Havekk

Postby Havekk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:25 am UTC

Recently in my Calc class I was finding an anti-derivative. It was something like [imath]6x^5+4x^3+2x+3[/imath] or something like that. My answer: [imath]x^6+12x^4+x^2+3x[/imath]

Yeah I multiplied the coefficient by the exponent like I was using the power rule to find the derivative, then took the rest of the anti-derivative correctly.

Also on another recent test I was taking an integral with the limits from 4 - 10. So when I was subtracting the anti-derivatives I should have subtracted the function at 4 from 10. For whatever reason I wrote 2 instead of 4. Yeah, totally wrong answer :/
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt
~Mark Twain

Twitter

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:52 am UTC

There was a question on last year's physics test that showed a line. Question 1: measure the length of the line. I got it wrong. Everything else, 100%. total 98%. And it wasn't something like the answer being 7.2 cm and I put 7.2 m, or mm, or 72 cm, but I put something wildly wrong. Like 12.4 cm.

Havekk wrote:Recently in my Calc class I was finding an anti-derivative. It was something like [imath]6x^5+4x^3+2x+3[/imath] or something like that. My answer: [imath]x^6+12x^4+x^2+3x[/imath]

I think that's not a stupid mistake at all, what I find difficult is getting used to the dividing by exponent PLUS ONE, not just the exponent.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 am UTC

kernelpanic wrote:I think that's not a stupid mistake at all, what I find difficult is getting used to the dividing by exponent PLUS ONE, not just the exponent.

Then think of it as dividing by the new exponent. Like, [imath]n+1=m[/imath], so you're really doing [imath](x^m)/m[/imath].

I don't know if that will help . . .
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:32 am UTC

So I should really listen to my own advice. Had a total panic attack yesterday in my maths test, took me forever to answer a question, and I said that -8pi - 3pi = -9pi.
I then proceeded to use an entirely wrong angle in cosine rule (sort of but not really follow-on from that) and forgot to square root the answer.
Then there was a good old sign confusion, and me saying that (2,0) was in fact (0,2).

Fortunately, they all added up to 4 marks lost, and that was it.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:03 am UTC

Secateurs wrote:-8pi - 3pi = -9pi.

That's a very, very stupid mistake. That happens to me all the time. Most of the marks I lose come from things like this, not from not understanding the question.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:44 am UTC

Well, yeah, that's where most of my mistakes come from--the most basic errors (usually boring and stupid like "16-4=-20" or ending up with [3+6x]/15y). Almost as bad is when you should really know what to do to solve the problem, but it just escapes you.
Guys you should totally register for this and join the xkcd team! Rath358 started us off and we're kinda small so the more people who join us, the better for our team and, hopefully, for humanity!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:00 am UTC

boring bore wrote:Almost as bad is when you should really know what to do to solve the problem, but it just escapes you.
But the worst is when you immediately start dashing off to weave a dreadfully intricate solution when there's really a much more direct and straightforward way of arriving at the intended result.

It's like you're faced with this giant brick wall with a door in it, and you need to get to the other side. And you look around on the ground and find all these little bits of what looks like a ladder. So you start picking up the bits and putting them together, and some of them seem to fit to produce something even more ladder-like, but it doesn't seem to make a ladder tall enough to reach over the wall, so you start taking them apart again and putting them together in different ways, and then five minutes before the deadline it finally occurs to you to check whether the door is unlocked.

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:21 am UTC

Yep, that's happened to just about everybody before as well. Gotta give you credit for making your own analogy; most people would have just linked to the "I'm An Idiot" comic. You were sort of doing what you were describing there! :P
Guys you should totally register for this and join the xkcd team! Rath358 started us off and we're kinda small so the more people who join us, the better for our team and, hopefully, for humanity!

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:41 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:But the worst is when you immediately start dashing off to weave a dreadfully intricate solution when there's really a much more direct and straightforward way of arriving at the intended result.

This happened to me recently in my Theory of Computation class, sort of. I won't bother explaining the details, but there's this thing called a Context-Free Grammar and this thing called a Push-Down Automata. Logically, the two are equivalent, meaning that any CFG has an equivalent PDA, and vice-versa. CFGs are pretty simple to create, whereas PDAs are a lot more difficult, especially when you're doing it on paper and can't really do any debugging on them. CFGs and PDAs both take a string of text as input, and return whether or not the string meets a particular criteria (you would say, whether or not the string is in the language defined by the CFG or PDA). One possible example would be a language that consists of binary strings that are palindromes.

The last question on the test was two different languages we had to create PDAs for. Or so I thought. It seemed like a lot of work for the amount of time we were given for the test, and I just barely finished it before I had to turn it in. When I got the test back, it turned out the problem was ACTUALLY just to design CFGs for them. The TA was impressed with my work, but only gave me partial credit. That's more an example of doing the intricate solution, finishing it, and getting marked off because you didn't do the more direct approach. Which is fair, since the question wasn't "solve this problem," it was "build a CFG that solves this problem," but it was still frustrating.

The Happy Genius

Postby The Happy Genius » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:55 am UTC

I regularly make stupid mistakes, they're usually only a couple points, no big deal in the future scheme of things. Like my chem quiz I got back today, -1 point for not writing units, the only point I missed on the exam. I've never strived for 4.0, so little mistakes don't bother me, I look at em, go 'ooooooooh, damnit' and move on.

I've always chalked it up to my brain doing many many many things at once, it's bound to get something mixed up once and a while, but the overall percentage is pretty good.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:14 am UTC

Not realizing the back of the sheet had a bunch of questions until about 20 minutes before the end of the test was a pretty bad one. Still managed to finish it on time and get a decent grade, so I guess it worked out in the end.
Quack!

PCal

Postby PCal » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:13 am UTC

Yep do that all the time. On my AP econ test i just took some how i got 10/4=2.25 but as long as I know the concepts I'm using on the test i don't really mind losing a point for 1 miscalculation.

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:04 am UTC

Do you guys really only lose 1 or 2 points for each dumb mistake? I would've thought that if you'd gotten the right answer but had written it the wrong way or only slightly corrupted it, then yes, that could in some cases only be 2 or so points off, but I was under the impression that getting simple arithmetic wrong and having a wrong answer as a result would merit a full question's worth of point deduction.

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:53 am UTC

No, in maths usually we only get 1 or 2 marks off (depending on how large the mistake is/how many marks the question is out of) and the teacher marking it gives 'follow-through' marks, so that we get credit for knowing how to get to the answer. They're slightly harsher in physics, but screwing up an answer in physics can have much larger implications than in maths :P.

Mind you, this is high school, not uni. I'd guess that markers at a higher level would be more disposed to mark the entire question wrong.

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:15 am UTC

I'm in the 9th grade, getting most of my radical ideology from my math teacher. It's not that he takes off full points every time we make a slip up; if he did, the whole class would be in pretty deep trouble grade-wise. But he does seem intent on at least somewhat preparing us for next year's teacher, who will not be so forgiving as he is.

"Follow-through" marks seem pretty awesome! I wish our school used them.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:58 am UTC

Do US exams not give follow-through marks? UK GCSE and A-levels always do.

So on a five mark question you would lose one for the mistake, and (only about half of the time) another for getting the wrong answer. We also have 'UMS' scaling, whereby "100%" could actually be 95% or 90% depending on how well people did. The examiners set a cutoff; anything above gets full marks.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:Do US exams not give follow-through marks? UK GCSE and A-levels always do.

So on a five mark question you would lose one for the mistake, and (only about half of the time) another for getting the wrong answer. We also have 'UMS' scaling, whereby "100%" could actually be 95% or 90% depending on how well people did. The examiners set a cutoff; anything above gets full marks.

Not sure on individual teachers, but the AP tests which can give college credit while in high school do this for the free response part of the test. If you make a mistake like 1+1=2 they take off a point then grade the rest of the problem as if you hadn't messed that step up.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

I once answered a math test problem with f(t) = and a function in terms of x. Had I swapped out all the x's with t's, it would've been completely correct. Instead I ended up with one point short of a perfect score.

On another math test, I had a completely perfect paper before I started to check my work. With about a minute left, I reached the easiest question on the entire test in my double-checking, and began to doubt myself because I made an arithmetic error when re-doing the problem in my head. So I changed it at the last minute from the correct answer to an incorrect answer. Once again, one point short of perfect.

Then came one occasion on a science test. On one multiple-choice question, the answers were written on the test like this:

Code: Select all

A        C
B        D

Having watched too much Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, I immediately interpreted them as:

Code: Select all

A        B
C        D

The answer was one of B or C (don't remember). I knew it, but marked the opposite one. You guessed it, one point short of perfect.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

Secateurs wrote:Mind you, this is high school, not uni. I'd guess that markers at a higher level would be more disposed to mark the entire question wrong.
This, I can tell you is very false. I have let students go without taking off any marks for very minor mistakes, and have gotten let off for very minor mistakes from profs as well. I mean, I am not going to care if you have a single typo in a 1 page proof.

Anyways, for math, I am amazed at the amount of people who do not sub in the values they solved for. It helped me got away from many mistakes. Another thing to try is to sub in obvious or random values (like x= 0).

Lemminkainen

Postby Lemminkainen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:20 am UTC

A current professor of mine has a policy which he states simply as:

"No credit will be given for incorrect answers."

Needless to say, this can be quite agonizing. I believe that my whole class laughed on hearing me shout "FUCK!" upon realizing that I had lost a letter grade because of a sign error.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:30 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:If you make a mistake like 1+1=2

But... but... it does...

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:32 am UTC

kernelpanic wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:If you make a mistake like 1+1=2

But... but... it does...

:shock: :oops:

I think this warrants a discussion on how hilarious it is that I made a mistake in describing in a mistake and the irony of of a mistake being the correct answer.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:04 am UTC

Usually those kind of mistakes can be avoided by analyzing the problem before solving it.

Ie. Figure out what range the answer can be in, what units the answer are supposed to come out in and what the sign is supposed to be.

if I'm supposed to find a enzymes rate constant I know it's supposed to be a positive number, I know the units must be M^-1 s^-1 and I know the upper limit is roughly 10^9

Knowing that, most results of stupid mistakes can be ruled out.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:09 am UTC

I was doing boolean algebra and I accidentally dropped a bar off of one of the variables because it blended in with my erasures.
And I'm -2.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:46 am UTC

I got halfway through a question (the sort of question that you do 4 of in a 3 hour paper) on a physics finals paper, and had this sudden awful realisation that it said "transverse", not "longitudinal".

Restart job. I came out shaking from working so fast.

Years earlier, on my O level Woodwork practical exam (yes, I'm dating myself here) I got two of the bits of wood confused and only realised after I'd started cutting. I spent the next 3 months hoping I'd screwed up badly enough to get a U, which then wouldn't be on the certificate at all, as opposed to a D or E.

I got an A, so goodness knows what everyone else did :)

Return to “School”