Proper clothes for student teaching?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

pernero

Proper clothes for student teaching?

Postby pernero » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

I start student teaching next October (High School Physics). I'm looking to buy a new wardrobe and I want suggestions for what kind of clothes would be appropriate for a student teacher. I'm relatively young (20) and not quite tall (5'9") so I want clothes that distinguish myself from the students while looking professional, but not overly professional.

Thanks!!

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Re: Proper clothes for student teaching?

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:14 pm UTC

Hmm, I'm assuming where you teach doesn't have a uniform policy but even so, a brightly coloured shirt/polo shirt without tie and just trousers might make you look teachery but approachable if that's what you're going for, but I'm awful with fashion advice so maybe just take the opposite of that?

Just don't do what one of our younger teachers did and try and distinguish yourself using suspenders because regardless of how they look, you will forever be known as "Guy who wear suspenders" and little else.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

EmilyR

Postby EmilyR » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

I think it really depends on the school, when I was in school all the male teachers wore suits, and I suspect that even in schools that don't require staff to wear suits the men would still be expected to be in shirt & jacket.

thicknavyrain wrote:Just don't do what one of our younger teachers did and try and distinguish yourself using suspenders because regardless of how they look, you will forever be known as "Guy who wear suspenders" and little else.

*pauses* *puzzled* ahhh yes... American. Suspenders are different this side of the Atlantic. However over here a guy who wears suspenders would also very quickly become known as "Guy who wear suspenders". :)

Avoid clever/fun/comedy clothing of all sorts, bright/cartoon/whatever socks, ties etc will always just get you mocked by your students. If you want to be dapper-yet-approachable then a well cut suit & tailored shirt are all that's needed. Don't try to be cool!

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

EmilyR wrote:
thicknavyrain wrote:Just don't do what one of our younger teachers did and try and distinguish yourself using suspenders because regardless of how they look, you will forever be known as "Guy who wear suspenders" and little else.

*pauses* *puzzled* ahhh yes... American. Suspenders are different this side of the Atlantic. However over here a guy who wears suspenders would also very quickly become known as "Guy who wear suspenders". :)

I'm from London! :D I guess I'm not a real englishperson.
I meant the thingies that hook onto your trousers like overalls [Braces], not the form of tights. Holy hell that'd be weird...but cool if you're into it.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Ventanator

Postby Ventanator » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:17 am UTC

Wear a nice shirt with a tie and a vest, or a jacket without a tie (or a tie but without the top button done). Also wear casual kakhi pants or nice jeans. This should let you look nice without looking stupid. I tend to not like polo shirts as much, but they can look nice too.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:43 am UTC

The male teachers at my school usually wear jeans or casual pants, and polo or button shirts, and they accomplish the "formal-but-approachable" image
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:32 am UTC

My old roommate taught Kaplan courses, often to people significantly older. His attitude was he didn't want to dress like he had something to prove, but didn't want anyone to be better dressed than him.
Err on the side of formal your first day, and get an idea of how casual you can go? I wouldn't suggest wearing tattered jeans and an AC/DC shirt your first day, but maybe later.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

Slacks (khaki is fine), a tucked in polo with a belt. But the teachers at my high school all dressed pretty casual so you might want to sub the polo for a real button down shirt. Tie maybe? but I would have the top button unbuttoned and the tie loosened a little the dress it down.

Yreval

Postby Yreval » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:16 am UTC

Male teachers at my school (public, USA) all wear button down shirts. Some, but not all, wear a tie as well. You may be able to get away with jeans, but I'd suggest khakis or slacks.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:47 am UTC

I would definitely wear 'nice pants' and not jeans for student teaching. You can take a cue from what other teachers are wearing, but remember, you are training to be a teacher and you want students and parents and the faculty to view you as professional, so I wouldn't tone it down too much. You may even want one REALLY professional-looking outfit in case you are allowed to sit in on parent conferences or important meetings (with the added benefit of using it for interviews later on). OH! Concerning shoes, make sure they look nice (you might even be able to pull off a nice pair of sneakers) but are comfortable to wear and stand in for long periods of time. You may want to break them in prior to your teaching start. I would suggest making sure they are not too expensive though, because you'll wear through them pretty fast.
(I'm totally assuming you're male by the responses already posted, and the more specific fashion advice I have is for females. Apologies!)
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:52 pm UTC

One nice thing you do have going for you is that you are male.

With that, show up your first day dressed as nicely as you can (suit if you own one, at least a button down shirt and tie). It's always better to overdress. If it turns out you're way overdressed, just remove your jacket, or take off your tie (remember to unbutton the top button if you're taking off your tie), and whoosh! You're now appropriately dressed.

Just one note: please, please, please wear an undershirt if you are going to wear a semi see-through shirt. When in doubt, wear one. I would suggest a t-shirt style, opposed to a wife-beater style. It looks so much less nasty, and it helps with sweat-stains. (Sorry, one prof I have right now wears wife-beaters under his white shirts and it looks really tacky)

Also, when wearing black pants, you must wear a black belt and black shoes. You might be able to get away with very dark brown shoes, but it typically looks pretty bad. With khaki pants, you can go with a black belt and shoes, but it looks much better if they're brown.

Like studyinserendipity, I think you could get by later with a nice pair of sneakers - maybe like this: http://www.skechers.com/shoes-and-clothing/men/styles/casual_shoes/product/urbantrack_-_resource/blk/ , but keep them dark and keep them clean. Also, I'd go with dress shoes my first day.

a7d07c8114

Postby a7d07c8114 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

I'm in high school myself, and from what I've seen, my male teachers usually go with khakis and button down shirts. My history teacher (who's pretty casual about everything) often wears a tie, although he didn't today and sometimes he wears a polo (other than the National Honor Society polo on special NHS occasions). I don't think a jacket is necessary, only our supervisor of History and World Languages wears a jacket among the history staff. My calc teacher usually goes with button-down shirt, tie optional as well. Even my assistant principal skips the jacket at least 50% of the time. Belt is pretty much always worn in all cases.

The most casual I've seen a male teacher get is with my freshman year track coach who also taught sociology, he would usually go by the above rules but in winter he was also known to wear a sweater-vest over the shirt. And he'd roll back the shirt sleeves (regardless of season). And he was pretty awesome, so maybe you can make that your look as you settle into the job.

Footwear-wise, nice shoes first day (maybe first few days) on the job, but nice sneakers might become more acceptable as time goes on.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:43 am UTC

Sweater vest.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Blarnay

Postby Blarnay » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 pm UTC

Last edited by Blarnay on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

zwei

Postby zwei » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

if you can pull it off, dress like sheldon (big bang theory).

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

Always:
Khakis or dress pants
A buttoned-down shirt or at least a collared shirt
(An undershirt to prevent sweat stains or see-through)
Shoes or at least nice sneakers

Preferable:
A tie with your buttoned-down shirt. This is not overdressing; this is looking professional.
Keeping your clothes ironed and clean

Never:
Jeans
A T-shirt
An untucked shirt

Unless you're wearing a suit in a school where teachers wear T-shirts, the students will not view you as overdressing. You will have behavior management at the forefront of your priorities, and dressing professionally is a good way to help yourself out in that department. Besides, the last thing you want is to get confused for a student.
Spoiler:

ftarp

Postby ftarp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

There is one particular teacher from middle school whose typical outfit I remember... jeans, sneakers, and a Wikipedia t-shirt. I suspect you'd be better off wearing a button-down shirt your first day, and observing what the other teachers wear. The aforementioned teacher didn't look particularly out of place, minus the endorsement for Wikipedia. At my high school, though, he'd be terribly under-dressed.

Return to “School”