My school fails at computer security...

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

cjmcjmcjmcjm

123qqq

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:10 am UTC

Page-topper!

ALSO YOU GUYS, my university doesn't like the Bit Torrent protocol, so the server blocks files with the .torrent extension. This is just fine with me, because our Internet is slow enough as it is without others slowing down my torrents. However, the actual torrent traffic isn't hampered (at least last year). This year, I can't seem to connect to any of the trackers (in Transmission, whatever the latest version is) and I suspect it if because of some sort of traffic filtering. Any suggestions?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

keeperofdakeys

Re: 123qqq

Postby keeperofdakeys » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:01 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Page-topper!

ALSO YOU GUYS, my university doesn't like the Bit Torrent protocol, so the server blocks files with the .torrent extension. This is just fine with me, because our Internet is slow enough as it is without others slowing down my torrents. However, the actual torrent traffic isn't hampered (at least last year). This year, I can't seem to connect to any of the trackers (in Transmission, whatever the latest version is) and I suspect it if because of some sort of traffic filtering. Any suggestions?

It is most likely the port that is used to connect to the tracker (6969 from what I have read). You might try renting a server somewhere, torrenting on that, then downloading via scp/ftp/http.

hintss

Re: My school fails at computer security...

Postby hintss » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:43 am UTC

proxy the connection to the tracker. its somewhere in settings. and assuming you haven't already, only use peers with encryption.

also, how illegal is it for me to take the fred movie and put it on demonoid?

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:47 am UTC

I've been using encryption-only from the start. I'm not about to start paying for a proxy service. If I'm pirating things, I'd rather buy them outright than pay some shady Russians for a "secure server" that'[REDACTED FOR ILLOGIC RANT]
Anyway, in response to your question, it depends on your jurisdiction and whether you get caught.
It seems that the peer listening port always seems to be closed on my system, even though it is randomized on startup

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

hintss

Postby hintss » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I've been using encryption-only from the start. I'm not about to start paying for a proxy service. If I'm pirating things, I'd rather buy them outright than pay some shady Russians for a "secure server" that'[REDACTED FOR ILLOGIC RANT]
Anyway, in response to your question, it depends on your jurisdiction and whether you get caught.
It seems that the peer listening port always seems to be closed on my system, even though it is randomized on startup

I'm pretty sure transmission can use any SOCKS proxy. *checks* yes

correnos

Postby correnos » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:50 pm UTC

My school's computer security is generally pretty good. We have a lot of tech-savvy students, though, and many of the teachers are not at all careful with their passwords. Aside from one event last year where a virus got in on a USB stick (which have since been banned :() and we had to reimage everything, there haven't been any big issues. Well, aside from the fact that some students discovered that Google Translate's web page translation can be used as a proxy, and we can't block it because it's used in language classes...
If you're seeking the bottleneck, look at the top of the bottle.

Laup

Postby Laup » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:52 am UTC

My high school's security was a joke. If there was any security I never saw a bit of it. I was just getting into computers my senior year and had no clue what I was doing so I never messed with school computers. I had a friend who would go home and access the teachers' accounts to change his grades at the end of every semester. It took them a couple semesters to catch on but they just told him he was suspended for a day and a half and not to do it again, which he did of course.

The university I go to has recently been upgrading their security though. It used to be that anyone with a CSC or IT degree had rights to install any program they wanted which was nice for when i didn't want to use the programming software they had installed because it's horrible. If you knew how to reset, turn off, or even type in 192.168.x.y you could have instant access to the wireless router you were currently connected to though. I've set random passwords to the wireless then reset the router while professors were streaming video in class from their laptops. Class usually lets out early and I get a couple high fives in the stairwell. It was even funnier when I was playing an MMO and had connection issues due to so many people using the same router in the library. I would simply set a password "admin" and reset the router then have a good ol' time playing lag free while everyone else is wondering why they can't e-mail their paper to their professor. Yeah, a dick move but hey, get off my internetz.

Now you actually have to log in through the browser to use the wireless and I'm blocked from installing programs on school computers(could be because I'm on probation) and the wireless internet is SUPER slow. They also block torrenting/P2P and UltraVNC so I pretty much have to do homework now.

Dason

Postby Dason » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:40 am UTC

Laup wrote:I've set random passwords to the wireless then reset the router while professors were streaming video in class from their laptops. Class usually lets out early and I get a couple high fives in the stairwell.

"Oh hell yeah you just wasted my money!" *High Five*. :roll: You know you don't have to go to class. Don't ruin it for everybody.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

In that same vein...

Laup wrote:It was even funnier when I was playing an MMO and had connection issues due to so many people using the same router in the library. I would simply set a password "admin" and reset the router then have a good ol' time playing lag free while everyone else is wondering why they can't e-mail their paper to their professor. Yeah, a dick move but hey, get off my internetz.

Hey, you. Listen.

I hate you.

Screwing over other people just so you can get your rocks off on a stupid game isn't cool and it isn't something to brag about. It turns out that the quotation is "with great power comes great responsibility" not "with great power comes great responsibility to be a douche to your fellow human beings".

Like Dason said: You don't have to go to class or even to college. Don't ruin it for the people that actually care.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Laup

Postby Laup » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:03 am UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:In that same vein...
Don't ruin it for the people that actually care.

Bleh, there are about 20 buildings on campus all of which have wireless. And if they were smart enough to connect to the wireless the first time they should be smart enough to connect to one of the overlapping routers for that area.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:29 am UTC

"God, I only kicked one of your legs. Why are you complaining? You have another one left..."

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:12 am UTC

hintss wrote:
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I've been using encryption-only from the start. I'm not about to start paying for a proxy service. If I'm pirating things, I'd rather buy them outright than pay some shady Russians for a "secure server" that'[REDACTED FOR ILLOGIC RANT]

I'll let one of my friends who runs a server from his house to set up a SOCKS proxy along with his FTP server over Fall break. Maybe I'll simply get my own intertubes for the house I'm living in this semester

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:02 am UTC

Laup wrote:Bleh, there are about 20 buildings on campus all of which have wireless. And if they were smart enough to connect to the wireless the first time they should be smart enough to connect to one of the overlapping routers for that area.

Yeah it's not like they were doing anything important. You on the other hand had some serious WoW to play...

Seriously. Just stop trying to justify it because it's not going to work.

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:22 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
hintss wrote:

I'll let one of my friends who runs a server from his house to set up a SOCKS proxy along with his FTP server over Fall break. Maybe I'll simply get my own intertubes for the house I'm living in this semester

wasn't there a thread in help desk about how to proxy connections over ssh?

minno

Postby minno » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:44 am UTC

At my school the login system is:

Username: First name + last 3 digits of student ID (public information) + last 2 digits of graduating year.
Password: Student ID number.

The first thing I did after this system change was to change my password, but I doubt that many other people did. I could get just about anyone in trouble by using their account, so they're lucky I'm not malicious.
If you fight fire with fire, you'll get twice as burned.

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:18 am UTC

ours is:

username: *grad. year**8char-lastname**firstname*
password: *user ID*

student ID easily accesible online

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:43 am UTC

We had:

username = first initial + last name
password = last name

The insecurity was obvious enough that most people ended up changing their password.

CounterPillow

Postby CounterPillow » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:55 am UTC

Well, when it is about computer security in my school, they just fail. Really, really hard.
Like every school I've visited so far, they have Macs. If you haven't noticed yet, MacOSX is a UNIX-like system, which is pretty cool because I am more or less used to them and the school IT usually isn't.
So, every computer has a few accounts locally, like one for students, one for teachers and so on. This is in fact pretty stupid in terms of people "vandalizing" since it can't be traced back to who actually did it. MacOSX would be capable of logging the user into a remote server.
Now, all of this isn't _that_ bad. But I was kind of curious when I discovered that I could edit the crontab on a computer. (Sorry guys, that */5 * * * * say "Penis" was me.)
So, when this worked what else did? It also seemed like every computer was running ssh (or in other words: scare people with the funny text to speech function).
Now that all is pretty questionable but now this will blow your mind:
A classmate of a friend of mine recently discovered that the root password on ALL the computers was "123456". This means, everyone from inside the network could ssh directly into any computer as root and go nuts.

Of course, we haven't told our school IT yet, but we're not out for damaging anything. Just having some fun.

ManyPopes

Postby ManyPopes » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

I have had so much fun breaking my school's computer security. Since I started I have been finding exploits but now as I'm half way through the last year I have found some extremely useful stuff including bypassing installation restrictions and resetting admin passwords.

Our school uses RM Tutor 4 which is very good at what it's made for, pretty much every old trick is blocked by them and when you think that you're onto something, you soon find yourself with an error message telling you your account does not have access etc.

Fortunately though, some tricks managed to get through.

Firstly, we managed to install programs using Java File Manager, which wasn't blocked because .jar isn't the sort of thing that RM sees as dangerous. Using this me and some friends were playing Halo CE on lan. Eventually though some non-computer people found the shortcut to Halo.exe, played it in lessons infront of teachers and it was soon blacklisted by the admins. Ofcourse, the admins didn't know how we installed Halo so Java File Manager is still working and lets us do what we want.

Secondly, I myself managed to reset Admin accounts local to machines using Ubuntu and a password reset tool called chntpw. This was quite a breakthrough until I realised that the admin accounts weren't connected to the rest of the network or the internet. My friend is going to buy a usb dongle for internet access and we will hopefully be able to view the schools cctv cameras which we found quite a long time ago.

So overall, my school's computer security is very good, just not good enough against someone like me. 8)

melaman

Postby melaman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

In my school where i finished 3 years ago,there was a friend who had all the (supposed hidden passwords) on the computer and he could start up the computer and look at virtually anything.so we would all head in to the library during free classes with him,make sure there was no teachers around and sit there for almost an hour watching what we liked.we were only 15.so,no i would have to say the security aint good

hintss

Postby hintss » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:05 am UTC

2 things about me:

1. I like yanking cables randomly (but I usually figure out which to pull first
2. I've been described as the smart hacker kid who also keeps trying to kill anyone.

anyway, so this comic was about me finding out that the admin password for the school library management system was "password": http://excellentnonsense.blogspot.com/2010/05/epic.html

and I'm thinking of making a file that spreads to all the computers in the school with a large batch file. like call it "facebook-unblocker.cmd" then have the user give it their computer login and their facebook login, upload the logins to a file in the student share, and have it figure out a proxy to use from another file on the student share. That woy, I could change the proxys when they get blocked.

and have the copy of it in the student share deleted/reuploaded with every run. time for mass evilness... :twisted:

SWGlassPit

Postby SWGlassPit » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:11 am UTC

What you are proposing to do is a rather serious crime. As in, punishable by up to 10 years in federal prison. Seriously, stop with your mischief and your black hat crap. It doesn't make you cool, it makes you a douche.
Up in space is a laboratory the size of a football field zipping along at 7 km/s. It's my job to keep it safe.
Erdös number: 5

hintss

Postby hintss » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:39 am UTC

SWGlassPit wrote:What you are proposing to do is a rather serious crime. As in, punishable by up to 10 years in federal prison. Seriously, stop with your mischief and your black hat crap. It doesn't make you cool, it makes you a douche.

yeah, but I'll just justify it with nonsense to myself.
then, fine, I'll just make it spread everywhere, without claiming to do anything/taking passwords/etc. which reminds me when my friend and I had a REALLY long batch file, we never typed it in, but it was like 3 pages long.

also, windows users are the only ones that I think would actually click it...

now to go google the LAN tech's name...

oh, as a sidenote, I like to think of myself as a grey hat, I just hate IT for banning me over a logout script I had in my "My Documents" folder.

WillShowalter

Postby WillShowalter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:22 am UTC

hintss wrote:oh, as a sidenote, I like to think of myself as a grey hat, I just hate IT for banning me over a logout script I had in my "My Documents" folder.

You're not a grey hat or a black hat; at the most you're a script kiddie.
William Showalter
IT Field Technician and full time Student
CCENT
Comptia A+

Dason

Postby Dason » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:28 am UTC

SWGlassPit wrote:What you are proposing to do is a rather serious crime. As in, punishable by up to 10 years in federal prison. Seriously, stop with your mischief and your black hat crap. It doesn't make you cool, it makes you a douche.

I would just like to second SWGlassPit on that note. Also:
hintss wrote:oh, as a sidenote, I like to think of myself as a grey hat, I just hate IT for banning me over a logout script I had in my "My Documents" folder.

Oh you got banned because of a logout script? How interesting. I wonder if you've mentioned that once or twice or maybe you've mentioned it so many times I've lost count. I'm sorry but I'm just sick of seeing you complain about being banned while in the same post plotting something really stupid.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

hintss wrote:
and I'm thinking of making a file that spreads to all the computers in the school with a large batch file. like call it "facebook-unblocker.cmd" then have the user give it their computer login and their facebook login, upload the logins to a file in the student share, and have it figure out a proxy to use from another file on the student share. That woy, I could change the proxys when they get blocked.

Okay, now what happens if someone else finds this list? If they do anything twisted (from petty things like adding them to spam lists to serious crimes like impersonating them or a lot of stuff worse), it's quite largely your fault.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:30 pm UTC

I just read all the posts here within about an hour and I don´t even know HTML :shock:
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

ManyPopes

Postby ManyPopes » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:28 pm UTC

Heh.. I need some lulz to place in the startup folder. Ideas? I already have an error message which says "meow".

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

Your name, student id, grade, and physical description.

That's a good place to start.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

That doesn't sound like a good place to start at all.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:39 am UTC

A batch file that runs

Code: Select all

sudo rm -r /

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

So we have command prompt, exe running ability, etc, at college, gotta love it.

They block everything but ports 80 and 443, so I hooked up SSH to port 443 on my VPS and can now tunnel out and bypass all the filtering and port blocking, which is always fun.

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:01 am UTC

Cue wrote:So we have command prompt, exe running ability, etc, at college, gotta love it.

They block everything but ports 80 and 443, so I hooked up SSH to port 443 on my VPS and can now tunnel out and bypass all the filtering and port blocking, which is always fun.

I used FTP to an outside server once. oh, that was me installing phproxy. I wonder why you can even make a proxy server from school. and today, I found out that you can avoid paying for prints by right clicking on WBalance in the taskbar and clicking exit. Why can't they go low tech and charge people when they pick up a print??

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:51 am UTC

hintss wrote:
Cue wrote:So we have command prompt, exe running ability, etc, at college, gotta love it.

I used FTP to an outside server once. oh, that was me installing phproxy. I wonder why you can even make a proxy server from school. and today, I found out that you can avoid paying for prints by right clicking on WBalance in the taskbar and clicking exit. Why can't they go low tech and charge people when they pick up a print??

It would not stop people from printing random pages, and it also wastes man-power.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:41 am UTC

NO MORTAL CAN STOP ME FROM PRINTING 462 COPIES OF MY BUTTHOLE WHEN I SO FEEL THAT DESIRE!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

hintss wrote:and today, I found out that you can avoid paying for prints by right clicking on WBalance in the taskbar and clicking exit. Why can't they go low tech and charge people when they pick up a print??

Then they realize it's not running, and check the print logs along with the app log to figure out who used it first after shutting it down. :wink:
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Ouch.jars

Postby Ouch.jars » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

At my school:
User name: last digit of the year you started at the school in + first initial + surname, up to 8 characters
Password: "password", by default. In our first times using the computer rooms, we were made to change them though.
ouchjars: putting the "pie" in "sapience" since '08

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:39 am UTC

Ouch.jars wrote:At my school:
User name: last digit of the year you started at the school in + first initial + surname, up to 8 characters
Password: "password", by default. In our first times using the computer rooms, we were made to change them though.

they suggested changing the password at the begening of this year, after most of the people used their student ID as a password since second grade. Additionally, most people got into the habit of using their student ID as their password on other sites...now if only I had their email addresses, I could hax their facebooks :P

as a sidenote, facebooks 1337speak setting is a lot betterer than most other site's 1337speak settings.

ftarp

Postby ftarp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:11 am UTC

My school network has a "Hand-in" folder which is supposedly write-only, and all the files are hidden. A friend and I discovered that if you type the filename into the address bar on Windows Explorer, the file opens. The best part is, it even lets you save the file. This wouldn't be a problem, if teachers didn't always demand formulaic filenames (01[first 6 letters of your last name].BAS, etc.). We even told our CS teacher, who told us he could see the "Modified on" date and the last user to modify the file. And yet, we still haven't been caught correcting our assignments a day after we handed them in.

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:27 am UTC

i found the LAN tech's office. you can tell by the stuffed penguin.

Return to “School”