Lockers? Bah!

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

xepher

Lockers? Bah!

Postby xepher » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:44 pm UTC

Purchase hiking backpack. Stuff all books in it. Give combination to someone else.

Much better. =D

sikyon

Re: Lockers? Bah!

Postby sikyon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:13 pm UTC

Carry pencil in pocket. Bring some folded sheets of paper in your pants to take the occasional note. Don't buy/bring textbooks.

MUCH better. =D

Postby 123 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

Borrow everything you need from a friend every day for every class. Perfect. :D
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that won't stop me from secretly hating you

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:21 am UTC

1. Never use locker.
2. ?
3. Profit!

Slavaa
Location: A certain Island, named after a certain Prince Edward

Postby Slavaa » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

Purchase hiking backpack. Stuff all books in it. Sell combination to someone else.

Much better. =D

TommyTumnus

Postby TommyTumnus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:55 am UTC

This was pretty much standard for the high school I went to--it was a large school with a very spread out campus, which for my first three years there, was undergoing massive renovations.

Yeah, nobody used their locker.

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:43 am UTC

cargo pants FTW

I wear them a lot.

but then, I'll proabably have to bring my netbook. hmmm...

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:41 am UTC

Had an OED, a bottle of whiskey and a spare raincoat in mine... Oh to be 13 again!
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

letterX

Postby letterX » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:17 am UTC

Wow. Prepared for all situations.

Squid Tamer

Postby Squid Tamer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

I would absolutely do this if my school allowed backpacks to be carried around during the day. But of course they don't.

Boring sexism complaint:
Spoiler:
Hundreds of girls get around this rule by buying huge purses and carrying around their books in them. Many even get away with buying one-strapped backpacks and calling it a purse.
Guys who try to carry a bag are told that they're not allowed to carry a backpack and will be punished if they do it again.

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:37 am UTC

Squid Tamer wrote:I would absolutely do this if my school allowed backpacks to be carried around during the day. But of course they don't.

Boring sexism complaint:
Spoiler:
Hundreds of girls get around this rule by buying huge purses and carrying around their books in them. Many even get away with buying one-strapped backpacks and calling it a purse.
Guys who try to carry a bag are told that they're not allowed to carry a backpack and will be punished if they do it again.

1. WUT???!!!
2. pockets

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:08 am UTC

1. Be adjunct faculty
2. Have office
3. Fuck carrying shit.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:14 am UTC

1. Eschew lockers after about grade 9.
2. Carry all books and whatnot in a big ass-shoulder bag.
3. Allow this to carry over to bringing home groceries in a big ass-shoulder bag once adulthood achieved.
4. Always use the same shoulder.
5. End up with protruding discs in one's neck that are now threatening to damage the nerves running down that arm.
6. Regret not using lockers/shopping bag with wheels.

/old cranky biddy is old and cranky
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:19 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:1. Be adjunct faculty
2. Have office
3. Fuck carrying shit.

when I was library TA, I would actually leave my stuff in the library, for up to 4 periods at a time

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:51 am UTC

1. Go to school which only has lockers for ~10% the students.
2. ???
3. Profit

That's what I'm doing.

Seriously though, ever since I got a locker and started using it (in combination with a backpack, I make sure I always have the next two lessons' worth of books in there) I've been faster getting to school (having a locker means being able to leave books at school overnight which means not having to carry so much to school every day) which means I can sleep or visit the fora in the morning.

Lockers are good things (unless of course you can make money from selling your locker).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:56 am UTC

I got a big band locker with a friend and we kept books in there. Since I was in the band room every 2 or 3 classes, it was horribly convenient to just grab stuff then.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:39 am UTC

My high school didn't allow backpacks in class. This was before 9/11 so it wasn't anti-terrorism mumbo-jumbo. I guess the argument was that they obstructed aisles and caused kids to trip all the damn time. Though that was only because they filled classes past capacity and the rooms were old as hell and tiny and crammed with too many desks (and no air conditioning, that's how outdated my school was).
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Kromix

Postby Kromix » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

Squid Tamer wrote:I would absolutely do this if my school allowed backpacks to be carried around during the day. But of course they don't.

Boring sexism complaint:
Spoiler:

man purse, http://thesatchelpages.com/
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:46 am UTC

put your heavy, $3000 instrument in it's locker.
MUCH better.
uhhhh fuck.

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:30 am UTC

cello? bass? guitar?

Sharkie

Postby Sharkie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:52 am UTC

hintss wrote:cargo pants FTW

I wear them a lot.

but then, I'll proabably have to bring my netbook. hmmm...

Cargo pants are definitely made of awesome. I wear 'em everyday. Much more convenient than a purse.

I actually liked having a locker because I had too much stuff to fit into a backpack. I got some locker shelves to keep it organized, but didn't spend enough time lingering there to ever get around to decorating it. Anyone decorate their locker with anything cool?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:32 am UTC

I liked my locker because it was the only place I could keep the foam weaponry we bought from the local Tesco one lunchtime and brought out for various gladiatorial fights. My friend carefully cut out the boobs from the page 3 models in The Sun and by the end of term had the whole inside of his locker door plastered in little disembodied boobs.
That was really fun.
Ⓞⓞ◯

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:13 am UTC

hintss wrote:cello? bass? guitar?

Good quality brass instruments (particularly the lower and therefore larger ones) can easily cost that, they're also pretty heavy so I'd take a guess that Midnight is/was a brass player.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
hintss wrote:cello? bass? guitar?

Good quality brass instruments (particularly the lower and therefore larger ones) can easily cost that, they're also pretty heavy so I'd take a guess that Midnight is/was a brass player.

Maybe a bass?
double epsilon = -.0000001;

smilesrandom

Postby smilesrandom » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

I am surprised at how many people refuse to use a backpack...

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

A back pack is not feasible when your classes for one day require at least 3 large textbooks and 3 large ring binders. I would've lost feeling in my arm carrying that around.
Ⓞⓞ◯

nash1429

Postby nash1429 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:A back pack is not feasible when your classes for one day require at least 3 large textbooks and 3 large ring binders. I would've lost feeling in my arm carrying that around.

I killed one pack by overstuffing it, then got a slightly smaller one and carried a textbook or two in my arms. At this point when I go backpacking the pack actually seems lighter than what I have had to carry around for school.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:A back pack is not feasible when your classes for one day require at least 3 large textbooks and 3 large ring binders. I would've lost feeling in my arm carrying that around.

When I was at college I would sometimes get hell-days where I'd have all 5 or 6 of my classes back-to-back. I definitely invested in a heavy duty backpack (Jansport hiking backpack with what looks like bubble-wrap padding in the straps). It's a great investment unless you can get ebooks for all your classes (that'd be better).

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

me: online textbook+netbook+school wifi+stuff you'd expect IT to have in their laptop bags

lets see if I'm still banned this year

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

I probably won't even use my locker this year because of my school's stupidity. For my freshman year, they started this 9th grade academy (which, me and a few other friends broke the team system by being in Chem for 9th grade, but that is another story). So, they have all the freshman homerooms together, and your locker is near your homeroom. But, you then get a new homeroom teacher in 10th grade, which you are supposed to keep for the rest of high school. You keep the same locker. Luckily for me, my locker was right on the path I take to go to homeroom. However, this year, homerooms were switched around, and mine is right the band room, where I have to go to drop of my instrument.
So, if I want to use my locker I'd have to either go all the way to the other side of the school from where we come in, drop off my instrument, go back to the other side, go to my locker, and then go back across the school to homeroom. Or, I could go to my locker first, but then I would have to deal with about 500 people trying to get down one hallway at once, who seem to be incapable of walking any faster, and then the people that tend to stand in front of other people's lockers and talk.
I'll probably just use my band locker as a locker instead. It's much more convenient, especially because I am in that room for two periods every day.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

MisterCheif wrote:I'll probably just use my band locker as a locker instead. It's much more convenient, especially because I am in that room for two periods every day.

Band lockers ftw. The regular lockers at my school are only about 8 inches wide and deep, so I can't fit my tennis racket or certain textbooks in mine. Not to mention, the lockers are assigned badly, so that 250 students in 500 lockers (per hallway) are assigned assigned lockers in clumps. Ten occupied lockers in a row, then ten unoccupied. It's pretty horrible.

So, I use my band locker instead. Fits my trumpet, tennis racket, and a few binders / books. Plus food, and other stuff.

Plus, with my band locker, I get to use my own lock, not the built-in, rarely-functional school locks.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

Band locker--rocks. I didn't have a locker for band, but we all had wall slot thingies where we could put our instruments. I played tenor sax so my thingy was large enough for backpack, books, and other sundry items.

hintss

Postby hintss » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:10 am UTC

they just gave me a locker number and a combination. no idea where it is.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:13 am UTC

Oh wow, that's made me laugh. There's a prize in it if you ever find it.
Ⓞⓞ◯

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:44 am UTC

I have nightmares sometimes where I have a locker in a very large school (and classes too). And I have an important term assignment in the locker to turn in, but I wander around and can't find it (or if I can find it, I forgot the combination). And I keep getting distracted by people so I forget that I was looking for it. Then I remember and try to look again, and then I remember that I have a psych class that I haven't been to even once all semester, and the final is tomorrow...

ugh. lockers.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

Try taking Salter's Chemistry. What you just described is my books for one lesson. I never used my locker, back when I had one. I put some PE shorts in it in year 7, then at the end of year 11 noticed it had chewing gum in the lock and was un-openable. That's how much I didn't use it.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:05 am UTC

The really cool kids do as I did: Achieve status as part of the 'technical crew', and recieve copy of key to storage room for various technical stuff (lighting board, speakers, mixer mainly). Use the storage room as a walk in locker.

If you're really lucky, the school will have more than one storage room, and won't mind if you move everything out of one into the other(s), and run CAT5 cable into it, as well as extension cords. By the end of high school, the 'tech crew' (which consisted of me and 1 other person) had basicly converted a storage room into an office, with a computer with internet access, and a couch, and a minifridge, and a microwave. It was sweet. 8)

Of course, at university I just carry around my bag with 1 clipboard in it for everything, as well as my lab glasses. Now the only 'lockers' I have are for my chem labs. Although they're actually drawers, with presupplied... erm supplies, and the only reason they need to be locked is because you're responsible for the contents (despite the fact almost all of the same supplies are available around the lab itself either in unlocked drawers, or just lieing around). (Not refering to actual chemicals, mainly glassware and such.)

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Re: Band Lockers

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:20 am UTC

I was a percussionist, so I didn't have the full size band lockers. However, we could use the drum room as a giant locker for all our purloined stuff.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Tyaust

Postby Tyaust » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

I don't even use my locker anymore for storing my books and what not. All it is good for is holding my jacket and lunch. Luckily I only have one textbook plus my work book for math this semester along with my binder and various, light weight art supplies so I can just carry everything in my Led Zeppelin messenger bag. I carry my messenger bag with me everywhere because the lockers at my school have these nasty sharp edges on the inside that tear right through the seams of my bag if I try to put it in my locker which lead to me having to do some emergency sewing last year.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

Turns out they gave us new lockers without telling us, and didn't change the combination on our old lockers. So, first day of school, I go to my old locker, put my lunch in, and then go to homeroom. I find out we're getting new lockers, and so I have to run all the way down the hallway to get my lunch before some freshman took it (as those lockers were given to freshman.) So it turns out I don't need to use my band locker for that after all...
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Return to “School”