GRE Scores: The Poll

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

What were your GRE Scores?

Verbal: Less than 400
No votes
Verbal: 401-500
No votes
Verbal: 501-600
7%
Verbal: 601-700
18%
Verbal: 701-800
24%
Math: Less than 400
No votes
Math: 401-500
No votes
Math: 501-600
2%
Math: 601-700
7%
Math: 701-800
42%

Total votes: 55

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

GRE Scores: The Poll

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

I know we are all smart kids with way too much ego. Also, that many of us will take the GRE. I just took it, and I want to know how you did.
Don't you want to know too?

More Data!

530/650 here. Not too bad for my first time. :oops:
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

letterX

Re: GRE Scores: The Poll

Postby letterX » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

It was my impression that the scale for the GRE was basically broken. There is a ridiculous spike in the distribution at the upper end: I had two 800s*, and was still at something like 93rd or 95th percentile over everybody. This is my theory on why I hear that most grad schools basically throw away your general GRE scores.

* I claim that this isn't bragging, since apparently 5% of everybody else also got at least one perfect score. Silly test...

joy

Postby joy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:42 am UTC

I would imagine those who engaged in an xkcd message board would be in the upper end of the distribution... :)

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:14 pm UTC

Yeah, someone I went to undergraduate college with scored less than 1,000 and still made it into a program. I forget what the program was.

I would say that they won't count for much for people with experience but straight out of undergrad I think it counts more (and we still seem to be doing better than average).
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

letterX wrote:It was my impression that the scale for the GRE was basically broken.

It is widely known that the GRE is the worst of the grad school admission tests.(As opposed to the MCAT, GMAT and LSAT etc.) I have heard of people taking the LSAT to get into programs outside of law, simply because it has a better ability to judge the applicant in any area than the GRE.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Korandder
Location: LoadingReadyRun Australian Astrophysical Observatory

Postby Korandder » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:45 am UTC

I think I got about 620 on verbal and 800 on quantitative. I also got about 860 on the physics subject test which I think is much more of an achievement.

Thinking that I was going to go to an American school I studied long and hard for the subject test. However I ended up only applying to an Australian school (which I am currently attending) who were completely uninterested in the GRE. The reason I only applied to one school is that I got the offer from the Australian school before I had to apply to any schools in North America. Since it was a good offer and the school seemed really great I decided to take it rather than waiting and seeing if any North American schools took me. Also it meant I did not have to do any more applications.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

letterX wrote:This is my theory on why I hear that most grad schools basically throw away your general GRE scores.

Throw away? No. Not in my experience working in graduate admissions. The scores simply aren't as important as people tend to think, no matter which test you're talking about. They're used to assess a student's ability to handle the level of coursework demanded by the program. An exceptionally good standardized test score can show that ability on its own, but a mediocre one isn't really definitive at all. In any case, if the program you're applying to is at all competitive, you need to show a lot more than just the ability to handle that level of study. Think of the GRE and other standardized tests as fairly loose "qualifiers" in that the most definitive a GRE score will ever be on an application is when it's abysmal enough for the reader to toss the application without even reading any further. And even at a top-tier school, that only happens very rarely.

There are situations, of course, when the rest of your application is seen as about as good overall as someone else's application, and the test scores may be used as a tie-breaker when nothing else puts one application above the other. But in those cases it's really not the test score that's earning one student an offer, and the other a rejection; it's the sad fact that space in any decent program is limited.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

It took it again Friday and scored 670/670, which I think puts my verbal score above the 80th percentile. Hopefully, since that was my goal.

It is really hard to find something I trust when it comes to what a decent score is. I am now a good 300 points over someone else who was accepted to the school I want to go to so I should be okay.

DorkRawk

Postby DorkRawk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

I just took my GRE on Saturday and I am incredibly happy to be done with it! I feel pretty good about my score and now I don't have to feel guilty about not reviewing GRE stuff whenever I have some free time.

Congrats to everybody who's taken it so far and best of luck to those who haven't taken it yet!

Return to “School”