Good HCI grad programs (hardware emphasis)?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Alan Chatham

Good HCI grad programs (hardware emphasis)?

Postby Alan Chatham » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

Hi,

So, I'm looking into graduate programs (both Masters and PhD) in Human Computer Interaction (HCI). I've got a small list so far of programs that look interesting (MIT, Stanford, Yale, UCSB, University of Washington), but I'm wondering if anyone here has experience/has done this search as well? I'm somewhat of a non-traditional CS student; I only minored in CS (with a major in Economics), but I have spent the past year developing new video game controllers, so I feel confident that my passion lies in HCI. This does also mean that my interests like primarily in physical computing/tangible interfaces/hardware as opposed to research in the 2-D GUI/WIMP space, which makes for an interesting limitation. Anyone know of some more good programs?

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Re: Good HCI grad programs (hardware emphasis)?

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:04 am UTC

I accidentally read the title as if it was talking about hydrochloric acid programs and was confused
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:43 am UTC

I am actually looking into that as well, though more specifically Industrial Design and Visual Computing. Georgia Tech and Carnegie also have some interesting research projects in that field going on.

Though I think particular the field its best to look in Masters programs. Because its a more applied discipline, work experience counts more.
(^@^)

DorkRawk

Postby DorkRawk » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

Just saw this thread. I'm an HCI masters student at DePaul in Chicago (so that's an option).

I know that Carnegie Mellon has a fantastic HCI program. Iowa has a pretty good program, too.

Return to “School”