Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

sakekasi
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby sakekasi » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:20 am UTC

I am considering doing a bachelors there.
Also, how is the campus?
Image
Image
GraphiteGirl wrote:
Kewangji wrote:Like, assume I drop my ice cream. This is extra tragic if I'm at a funeral.
There will be an added layer of tragedy if no one sigs this.

deerie
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:20 am UTC

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby deerie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:17 am UTC

Yes. Might even be #2 after MIT, but that's going to depend on what you use to rank schools. It's excellent for CS, though.

The campus is nice, I think. Pittsburgh is safe, but like any city, don't walk around at night by yourself. There's some pretty cheap casual restaurants nearby. When it comes down to it, college campuses are college campuses, so I can't really say much more. There's plenty of green areas, if you care about that. If the campus is a major concern, you should plan a visit if you're able to.

Actually, I just remembered that they recently built a new CS Building. It's called the Gates Center. Guess why.

User avatar
Username4242
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:03 pm UTC
Location: (Previously) Montana State University--Bozeman, Montana.

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby Username4242 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:01 pm UTC

They have lots of gates.

User avatar
Intrepid
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:51 pm UTC
Location: Stony Brook, NY
Contact:

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby Intrepid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Username4242 wrote:They have lots of gates.

and windows... stained glass ones too I bet
(^@^)

User avatar
lu6cifer
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 am UTC
Location: That state with the all-important stone

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby lu6cifer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:03 pm UTC

Intrepid wrote:
Username4242 wrote:They have lots of gates.

and windows... stained glass ones too I bet


Stained with red, blue, green and yellow?
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

sakekasi
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby sakekasi » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:15 am UTC

haha ok im gonna apply there. I hope that its not TOO hard to get into. I might have to early apply.
Image
Image
GraphiteGirl wrote:
Kewangji wrote:Like, assume I drop my ice cream. This is extra tragic if I'm at a funeral.
There will be an added layer of tragedy if no one sigs this.

Brunch
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:15 am UTC

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby Brunch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

EDIT: Wow, I totally read your question in the context of 'should I go there', not 'I go there, but is it good'. My bad.

Short answer: YES.
Long asnwer: It's generally accepted that, depending on how you twerk the ranking parameters, the top CS universities are UC Berkeley, Stanford, CMU, and MIT.

Some good things about CMU CS:
- The resources available to you are extraordinary. The professors are really into their students and WILL help you if you go in and ask for it. Getting undergraduate research positions is so easy (our advisors sends us emails with HUNDREDS of undergraduate and research opportunities throughout the year, and all you have to do is pick one and send an email).
- Career opportunities are extraordinary. It's only been 6 weeks, and we already have had Google, Facebook, Amazon, IBM, Microsoft, and tons of much smaller companies come give presentations about what it's like to work for their company and how to apply for a summer internship. When people read "CMU SCS" on your resume, you'll immediately get shoved to the top of the applicants list. It's not that uncommon to hear of recent graduates getting a six-figure salary straight out of college (although these are the people that usually double major / get exceptional grades).

That being said:
It's hard. Not like "oh I have to work a lot but I can power through it" hard, but like "holy shit what is happening to my brain why have I been in this cluster for the last 12 hours I'm not even halfway done with my weekly assignment for ONE class" hard. Occasionally some people manage to get into SCS even though they don't have a true passion for CS and 'just want to make video games'. Those people fail and/or switch majors.

If you love CS, you'll do fine and will not regret coming here for the academics, and it will be the best choice for you if you didn't make it into the other top CS schools. If you get accepted to more than one, you have to do research to figure out what you're really into. CMU, Stanford, and MIT all have strengths and weaknesses (Berkeley is ranked so high because they have a huge CS faculty, but I don't think it's so great for your undergrad). Let me know if you have more questions.

sakekasi
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby sakekasi » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:19 am UTC

Brunch wrote:EDIT: Wow, I totally read your question in the context of 'should I go there', not 'I go there, but is it good'. My bad.

Short answer: YES.
Long asnwer: It's generally accepted that, depending on how you twerk the ranking parameters, the top CS universities are UC Berkeley, Stanford, CMU, and MIT.

Some good things about CMU CS:
- The resources available to you are extraordinary. The professors are really into their students and WILL help you if you go in and ask for it. Getting undergraduate research positions is so easy (our advisors sends us emails with HUNDREDS of undergraduate and research opportunities throughout the year, and all you have to do is pick one and send an email).
- Career opportunities are extraordinary. It's only been 6 weeks, and we already have had Google, Facebook, Amazon, IBM, Microsoft, and tons of much smaller companies come give presentations about what it's like to work for their company and how to apply for a summer internship. When people read "CMU SCS" on your resume, you'll immediately get shoved to the top of the applicants list. It's not that uncommon to hear of recent graduates getting a six-figure salary straight out of college (although these are the people that usually double major / get exceptional grades).

That being said:
It's hard. Not like "oh I have to work a lot but I can power through it" hard, but like "holy shit what is happening to my brain why have I been in this cluster for the last 12 hours I'm not even halfway done with my weekly assignment for ONE class" hard. Occasionally some people manage to get into SCS even though they don't have a true passion for CS and 'just want to make video games'. Those people fail and/or switch majors.

If you love CS, you'll do fine and will not regret coming here for the academics, and it will be the best choice for you if you didn't make it into the other top CS schools. If you get accepted to more than one, you have to do research to figure out what you're really into. CMU, Stanford, and MIT all have strengths and weaknesses (Berkeley is ranked so high because they have a huge CS faculty, but I don't think it's so great for your undergrad). Let me know if you have more questions.


I'm still in high school. I want to know if I should go there.
Image
Image
GraphiteGirl wrote:
Kewangji wrote:Like, assume I drop my ice cream. This is extra tragic if I'm at a funeral.
There will be an added layer of tragedy if no one sigs this.

User avatar
Solt
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:08 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby Solt » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:39 am UTC

Do bears shit in the woods?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

etotheix
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:28 pm UTC
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby etotheix » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:59 am UTC

Three of the smartest people I know are at CMU (one is actually in their CS program), so I think it's pretty good. It is a relatively difficult school to get into though, harder than a place like RPI or Purdue, but easier than MIT or Harvard.

User avatar
cjmcjmcjmcjm
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 am UTC
Location: Anywhere the internet is strong

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:38 am UTC

I know someone at CMU for CS. He complains about drunk ME's in his hall disassembling refrigerators and filling the hall with freon. I told him to have fun and enjoy college and he told me that he was coding and hates people for being a distraction from the coding. Yes, he loves CMU
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

User avatar
Intrepid
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:51 pm UTC
Location: Stony Brook, NY
Contact:

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby Intrepid » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I know someone at CMU for CS. He complains about drunk ME's in his hall disassembling refrigerators and filling the hall with freon. I told him to have fun and enjoy college and he told me that he was coding and hates people for being a distraction from the coding. Yes, he loves CMU


Hey that sounds like me, every time I have a huge programming assignment my fellow CS majors decided to play human vs. zombies in my hall.
(^@^)

Pezander
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby Pezander » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

... Yes!

I am currently in the school of computer science, and it has one of the best teaching atmospheres I have ever encountered. Pittsburgh is (in my opinion) an awesome city, and the cost of living in the areas around the universities is very afordable.

not good at these things
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: Is carnegie mellon a good cs university?

Postby not good at these things » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I know someone at CMU for CS. He complains about drunk ME's in his hall disassembling refrigerators and filling the hall with freon. I told him to have fun and enjoy college and he told me that he was coding and hates people for being a distraction from the coding. Yes, he loves CMU


Lol, I keep hearing of MEs doing crazy stuff while drunk. I know I had been a bit tipsy once but all I did was fix the bathroom lock for one of the rooms on my floor because they were about to call campus police and I was like "NOOooooo...". Also I have a hubcap now.

But yeah, our CS was just ranked #1 recently (tied with MIT and some other place? I forgot the article). They keep the class sizes small, around 300 from what I last heard and it is hard, I mean all the majors here are considered hard but CS is something. We have the Gates building which CS students love and the work does get to the point where you're sleeping in it. Basically the school has the motto "My heart is in the work" which means this better be something you love or you won't last, whether it be music, engineering, theater, or CS if you don't have it as your passion you won't be able to do the work.

Freshman year won't be so bad, more of a time to get organized and such but it's still no cake walk. You'll be challenged no matter who you are, there is no one ever saying that CS here is an easy degree. Oh, and CS kids get a damn lot of job offers, hell me just taking some CS classes get some CS job offers because people hear "Carnegie Mellon". People get offered top cash and a lot of companies look to CMU.


Return to “School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests