How many grad school applications?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

danreil

How many grad school applications?

Postby danreil » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

I'm currently in the midst of applying to grad schools for a PhD in chemical engineering. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how many I should submit. Obviously I can't apply to like 30 because of time and money, but I'm just worried with low rates of admission I might not get into any even if I'm qualified. I was planning on doing 4 good ones (top 20 programs with two in the top 10) and 4 that are probably in the range of like 30-50 in terms of ranking. My credentials probably aren't good enough for an M.I.T. or Berkley without a great deal of luck but I should be competitive for mid range good schools in the 10-20 range of ranking.

For anyone who's gone through it, how many did you apply to?

DorkRawk

Re: How many grad school applications?

Postby DorkRawk » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:38 pm UTC

I'm going through the PhD application process right now, too. Counting "reach" schools (schools like MIT and Berkeley that would be awesome to go to if a little luck goes my way, but I'm certainly not counting on) I'm applying to 9 schools. I got to this number more by looking closely at the specific research areas of all the schools that looked "about right" I've talked to other people who have applied to somewhere between 6 and 10 schools. Basically, everybody who applies is pretty smart so you need to apply to a few schools to make sure that you get in somewhere.

ahazaq2

Postby ahazaq2 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

Just out of curiosity, what type of factors/stats would make someone competitive for an MIT/Berkeley?

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:26 am UTC

ahazaq2 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what type of factors/stats would make someone competitive for an MIT/Berkeley?

Research track record (e.g. publications), GPA, profs' recommendations. Internships at reputable and relevant companies also help. Particularly with good recs from former bosses. I can't put a number for GPA because it's dependent on difficulty of courses, grading culture, etc.

Unless your stats are so stellar and/or your profs love you so much they want you to stay, plan on going somewhere else for grad school. Academia seems to frown upon people who stay in the same place for too long...

Return to “School”