SAT Scores

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Pick one!

1550-1600 / 1600
6%
1430-1540 / 1600
16%
1310-1420 / 1600
11%
1190-1300 / 1600
5%
1070-1180 / 1600
1%
0-1060 / 1600
0%
2350-2400 / 2400
6%
2170-2340 / 2400
17%
1990-2160 / 2400
11%
1810-2150 / 2400
7%
1630-1800 / 2400
2%
0-1620 / 2400
1%
We don't have SATs in our country, but I want to see the results anyway...
17%

Total votes: 675

joeframbach

SAT Scores

Postby joeframbach » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:21 pm UTC

Show-offs!

Editted because I wanted to know the results

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

On the old 1600 test:

800 verbal
660 math

1460 total.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

Goes to wikipedia to find out what a SAT is, and how to recompute results from us non-us countries

EDIT: Ok, in the Netherlands, you simply get accepted into whatever college or university you want.* Unless it's medicine or dental healthcare, then there's a "Lottery" Where your grades decide the odds of getting in. (numerus clausus) Score 1 for having enough spots

Also, Dutch education is almost completely payed by the government (I pay rent + university + food from government money) Score 2 for providing everyone with an education.

Still, I'll do some work to figure out which percentile i'm in.

* Yes, you don't get judged by what university you attend, just by grades and resume. Still, there is some preference for some over others. Engineers from Delft > Engineers from anywhere else, says the world.
Last edited by Alcari on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

Sat 1:

670 Math (Ow)
690 CR (Blech)
730 Writing (Ehhh)
2090 Total <- This gets me into the ballpark for quite a few reasonably good places according to most of the people I've talked to.

SAT 2:
700 Math IIC (Yech)
750 Physics (ehh)
690 (Lit.) (Ehh)
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:30 pm UTC

750 Verbal / 690 Math

I missed 2 analogies. =\
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

SAT is a math and verbal test that high school students take that colleges use as a metric when they decide whether or not to accept you.

I think it is lame that the SAT company (is it College Board? I forget) has a monopoly on standardized testing for continued education. It's stupid to have to pay >$100 each time the test is taken.

I took the SAT twice, my combination of best scores was
800 math
650 verbal

I'm a backwards Belial. It is too bad I didn't start liking books until college :(
It's OK to be social, just don't tell anyone about it.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

I think it is lame that the SAT company (is it College Board? I forget) has a monopoly on standardized testing for continued education.

The ACT competes in some places.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:33 pm UTC

I think it is lame that the SAT company (is it College Board? I forget) has a monopoly on standardized testing for continued education.
I actually prefer it being a private corporation to it being the government. If it's the second and it sucks, good luck fixing it. [edit]Like the rest of the primary education system.

My verbal was 800 and Math was either 790 or 780 on the old one. *shakes fist at that one math question*
Last edited by Vaniver on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:43 pm UTC

Belial wrote:

Ah. I didn't know the ACT was seperate. I was always under the impression that the ACT was easier and was what people took if their SAT wasn't high enough (no real evidence behind that impression but that's what I gathered from teachers' comments).
It's OK to be social, just don't tell anyone about it.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:44 pm UTC

warhorse wrote:
Belial wrote:

Ah. I didn't know the ACT was seperate. I was always under the impression that the ACT was easier and was what people took if their SAT wasn't high enough (no real evidence behind that impression but that's what I gathered from teachers' comments).

Nah.

SAT = Coasts

ACT = Midwest

Between you and me, the ACT is probably easier though. From what I've heard.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

deadly penguin

Postby deadly penguin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

I've taken the ACT and a practice SAT (PSAT). I liked the ACT better since it didn't involved half-guessing the definition of a no-longer-used word with non-existent context clues.

Though the ACT has an "optional" writing section which I completely bombed D:

ACT=27 (writing part 5...out of 12 :/)

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

I can't remember exactly.

Verbal was very high and math was very low. That's why I went into computers, having something around to do math for me.
...the whim of a hat.

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:59 pm UTC

Well I'm still in highschool, and Canadian, so I'm not going to take the SATs. My average in grade 10 is hovering around 85%, which means 90-100% in english, math and physics, 80% in history and some abysmal grades in french because I keep missing exams.

Roun

Postby Roun » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

On a SAT test that I just took a month ago:

Critical Reading: 690
Math: 780 (DAMMIT, ONE QUESTION!)
Writing: 580 (I think they just randomly assign the essays scores. My essay was brilliant!)

Total: 2050/2400

Though, my first pick for college doesn't look at the writing portion. So really, 1470/1600

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

It depends on what way those percentages are rated. Are they the percentage of questions you answer correctly? or are they adjusted?
Example, if I score a 6 out of 10, I pass. however, to get that 6, I need to answer at least 70% of the questions correctly.

Yes, that is damn confusing.
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

I do not remember a score, but I am pretty sure anything I ever did would have been rated 'Awesome'. So I'll go with that.

deadly penguin

Postby deadly penguin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:11 pm UTC

Alcari wrote:It depends on what way those percentages are rated. Are they the percentage of questions you answer correctly? or are they adjusted?
Example, if I score a 6 out of 10, I pass. however, to get that 6, I need to answer at least 70% of the questions correctly.

Yes, that is damn confusing.

I think they use percentiles, so it's based on how everyone else did on the test (well it is for the ACT, and I think it's the same for the SAT).

Jarrad

Postby Jarrad » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

I got;

Critical Reading: 740
Math: 550
Writing: 630

I think the Math score looks worse than it is. I didn't actually get any math problems wrong. I've simply never been very fast at doing math so I didn't finish.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

I don't remember the breakdown, but my overall score was 1410.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:22 pm UTC

I got a 2200 on the new SAT, which I believe comes out to about 1460 or 1470 on the old one.

34 on the ACT. Whoo!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

I got around 600 on both, less in math. ::shrug:: 1150 one time 1200 the other.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

Compared to you guys, I suck at life.
600 Verbal, 680 Math

WhiteWizard42

Postby WhiteWizard42 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

yay showing off!

i was contemplating putting in my scores from when i took it in 7th grade, but that would dump me into the 1430-1540 range (how mundane). instead, i voted for what i got last october:

770/800/780
Never argue with a fool, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:27 am UTC

Bah. I got a 1480, but I failed to realize how unimpressive that is one these fora. I need to go gloat around some stupid people some more. Oh the other hand, I do take a perverse kind of pride in the fact that I did not study one single second for the SATs, never took the PSATs, and didn't even get much sleep the night before.

Oh, and for the record, I got a 780 English and 700 math. I probably could've gotten a much better math score if it weren't for my lack of a decent grounding in geometry. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever really learned geometry. I learned trig, and a few odds and ends dealing with circles and tangents and whatnot, but not much. Oh well.
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:58 am UTC

1500 even on the SAT I tests, 790 verbal 710 math. I've always been a good test-taker, but actually, in some of the groups I hung out with, my score was low.

I got a 1200 when I took the tests when I was 12. *laughs* I didn't really know the material--I'm just very good at tests.

When I took SAT IIs, I got 800s math and english... for a third, chosen the morning of, I took chemistry. My only chemistry class had been two years before with a teacher who was always hung over and didn't actually teach us much, and I wasn't particularly good at it. I got a 660 or something like that.

Standardized tests primarily test ability to take standardized tests. I dislike them even though they work well for me personally.
This is not a reference to anyone's junk.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:05 am UTC

[Tyler Durdan]

YOU ARE NOT YOUR SAT SCORES!!

[/Tyler Durdan]

Standardized tests only measure how good you are at taking standardized tests. There is intelligence involved, but it is not the end-all be-all. I think people put too much personal meaning into such numbers.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:07 am UTC

Standardized tests primarily test ability to take standardized tests. I dislike them even though they work well for me personally.
Standardized tests only measure how good you are at taking standardized tests. There is intelligence involved, but it is not the end-all be-all. I think people put too much personal meaning into such numbers.
:roll:

Of course it's a flawed metric of intelligence/ability. No one thinks that it's perfect. That doesn't mean it isn't one of the best metrics out there, though.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:12 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:That doesn't mean it isn't one of the best metrics out there, though.

Says who? The fact that you can take a course from Kaplan and raise your score by a good amount shows that it's not as good of a measure as you'd think. There's a lot of people who believe that it enforces a meritocracy since those with affluence can afford to take all the prep courses and raise the scores. So how accurate is that of raw intelligence?
- Lani

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:17 am UTC

Says who?
Can you name three better metrics (of intelligence/academic ability)?

If not, wouldn't that make it one of the best?

The fact that you can take a course from Kaplan and raise your score by a good amount shows that it's not as good of a measure as you'd think.
Only if you are of the view that knowledge (and it is a test of knowledge, as well as intelligence) is fixed throughout someone's life.

There's a lot of people who believe that it enforces a meritocracy since those with affluence can afford to take all the prep courses and raise the scores.
Those who can devote time to improving their intelligence will test as more intelligent? Shocking!

So how accurate is that of raw intelligence?
It's not a test of raw intelligence. It was designed to predict how well someone would do in college, which is a combination of intelligence and academic ability (I shouldn't have dropped off the word "academic" when talking about it before). So, it's not supposed to be a test of raw intelligence, and it not being a test of raw intelligence thus does nothing to discredit it.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:Those who can devote time to improving their intelligence will test as more intelligent? Shocking!

I agree with some of your points up there, but the courses discussed here aren't devoted to improving intelligence, they're tailored specifically to the test and, if they bear any resemblance to review materials I've seen for the test, probably don't have much lasting value as general education. Certainly less value than a class devoted to improving intelligence or knowledge in the relevant subjects.

You know this. Quit being like this every time you get in an argument.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:37 am UTC

Up here in Canadia everybody's so smart we don't need ta test 'em!
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:39 am UTC

Actually... it's supposed to be a predictor of student success in college, on the theory that grounding in the subject matter was the important piece of that.

According to a couple of my professors, there is no measurable correlation at all. High scores does not mean a greater chance of graduating in four years.

I scored pretty darn high and I'm currently on year 10 of the 12-year-plan for my BA. The test isn't very good at doing what it's supposed to do, and a lot of schools are moving away from it entirely.
This is not a reference to anyone's junk.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:54 am UTC

Well I was just going to anonymously brag up top with the poll, but since others are doing it:

SAT I:
Math - 800
Verbal - 800

SAT II:
Math IIC - 800
Biology - 7-something (I no longer remember the exact score)
One other one - 800 (I know I had to take 3, and I know I got 800's on two of them but not bio, but I don't remember what the other one was)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Eh, I know a lot of people who got extremely high scores on standardized tests just because they took a lot of practice tests and were familiar with the format of the test. I think the tests are a very good measure of how well you take the tests, and that's about it.

I never took the SAT, but I took the ACT for college admissions and whatnot. I ended up with a 32 composite (out of 36). My "reading" score was the lowest. My "English" score was the highest. (I missed one question, and it was probably about semicolons.)

They have to measure your brain somehow, and I guess these multiple choice tests are the best they can do. :roll: I'd like to think tessuraea is right about the schools moving away from this method, but I wonder what effect that would have on the university admissions process.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:58 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:Up here in Canadia everybody's so smart we don't need ta test 'em!

QFT!
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:12 am UTC

Ren wrote:
Twasbrillig wrote:Up here in Canadia everybody's so smart we don't need ta test 'em!

QFT!

QFT!
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:24 am UTC

28 on the ACT.. wherever that fits.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:25 am UTC

I don't think I could "convert" a SAT score for myself, in sunny Queensland we use a slightly more complex and lame system for university entrance. If you take enough subjects that entitle you to it, you get stuffed under a bell curve and you recieve an Overall Position (OP for short). I did lousy because I picked all "uni entry" subjects over stuff I was actually good at.

The closest thing we have to the SAT is the Core Skills Test, I scored an "A" on that, but heavens only knows what that means.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:37 am UTC

1550/1600

I was angry, because on every practice test I ever took, I got a 1600. Flippin' test was easy. I'm quite sad now that they've dumbed it down, because it was already a pretty piss-poor indicator of having a brain, since I am BY FAR not the smartest person I know. (I also scored a 160 on the Mensa scale.) Sure, I learn stuff fast (and have this strange ability to skim over a tutorial document, extrapolate with things that I already know on the subject and immediately take over telling someone else how to do it) and take a totally different, bonkers, ass-backwards way at applying that knowledge, but I know people DOZENS of times more brilliant than I am who scored pretty lousily on these sorts of metric.

mrcheesypants

Postby mrcheesypants » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:58 am UTC

Wow, I now feel less of a geek.
630 math
560 verbal
450 writing.
ACT: 28
Yes, I suck at timed writing.

Return to “School”