Making your own quizzes

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Making your own quizzes

Postby Angua » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

So, after learning the names of all the countries on sporcle, as well as the flags and other tidbits of information, I was thinking it is quite a good way of learning facts. So, I was wondering if there was any easy (and ideally free or very cheap) software for making quizzes yourself - eg so I can learn the names and receptors and actions of drugs or something.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

++$_
Mo' Money

Re: Making your own quizzes

Postby ++$_ » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:57 pm UTC

Sporcle lets you make quizzes yourself.

ahazaq2

Postby ahazaq2 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:46 am UTC

Try Mnemosyne.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon May 30, 2011 9:11 am UTC

Thanks - I'll look into it.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Parsifal

Postby Parsifal » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:17 am UTC

It might sound silly, but what's wrong with making flash cards? The benefits of quizzing yourself this way are twofold:

1) You gain the kinesthetic experience of making the cards (if you go in for that kind of learning)
2) When you use them, you can rapidly shuffle out just the ones you get wrong, then recursively repeat this step. This is the fastest way I've yet found to home in on what you really need to be studying.

I used this technique to raise my GRE verbal score substantially. You can also carry a pocket full of flashcards with you everywhere, and they never run out of batteries.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

Because I tend to lose flashcards/drop them, etc. Also, I've got to increasingly prefer making notes on my laptop because it takes up less paper, as well as the fact that they are easily available in the future. They are also easier to search through if you're looking for a certain answer.

That's it really - I have used normal flash cards in the past, but wanted to try this out.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

Double posting with an update http://ankisrs.net/ This allows you to create your own flashcards, download ones that other people have made and uploaded, and remembers how often you've seen them and presents them in a random order, bringing up the ones that you tell it to more often.
GNU Terry Pratchett

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

That one's great for studying Kanji too. And they have an algorithm that makes you memorize the cards more efficiently.

merrak

Postby merrak » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:13 am UTC

Angua wrote:So, after learning the names of all the countries on sporcle, as well as the flags and other tidbits of information, I was thinking it is quite a good way of learning facts. So, I was wondering if there was any easy (and ideally free or very cheap) software for making quizzes yourself - eg so I can learn the names and receptors and actions of drugs or something.

gbrainy might let you add questions (if I recall correctly). If it does it sounds like it would be well suited for what it sounds like you want to do with it.
`/\=======/\"-

Return to “School”