Blatant racism in class

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

iamevn
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Blatant racism in class

Postby iamevn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:20 am UTC

I apologise ahead of time because I am on my phone right and typing this out is a pain so spelling and structure may be a bit broken. I promise to come back sometime in the next couple of days and fix the rambling, ranting mess that is to follow.
Just so you can understand where I am coming from, I am an American highschool junior who is athiest, but my father's side of the family is Jewish and I do think of it as more of a heritage thing than just a religion.

In US history last thursday, we were watching a video on holocaust during which a few people started laughing. Okay that's fine freedom of speech or whatever. Bit dissapointing that they'd laugh at that sort of thing...oh well.
Afterward,when people started to mill about the classroom and the techer was done for the day, they went up to the whiteboard and drew a swastika. A few people stared a couple of people gasped. They were really just looking for attention imho. Next they drew the Star of David next to it which sort of seemed okay. They then circled the swasika several times and began drawing stereotypical caricatures of Jews below it.
Bell rang, teacher noticed and commented that that was "interesting" and class was dissmissed.

A friend and I are going to talk to administration to see what can be done to prevent things like that or at least punish people who would be so insensitive.
That was fairly insulting to me but it was like a pinprick when compared to what happened the next day.

The next day class opened with the teacher asking the class to write opinions on a thought question followed by class discussion of that question. The question was intended to bring issues from WWII to a more modern setting and asked what the US should do if a boat carrying 936 freedom-fighters from Libya showed up on US shores intending to take refuge in the US, accept unconditionally, background checks to 'ensure' not terrorists, or send them back(refering to the St. Louis)? Within minutes of the discussion starting people began to say things like "they're Muslims so how do we know they're not terrorists?" and "Why would we let terrorists into America?" and "Muslim terrorist groups did 9/11, how do we know these people don't want to destroy America?"

Two friends and I spent most of the time interjecting with attempts to provide actual factual information and counter any anti-Muslim argument with analogous situations like comparing these anti-Muslim sentiments with equating all white Americans with the KKK (which was met with people saying things like "How is that even related?") One person started saying how Muslims are terrible because of female circumcision and how "Muslimism" is a violent religion that rewards people for doing things like terrorism.
My friends and I, appaled at the amount of misinformation and general stupidity in the room (abd wanting to punch several persons very very hard), left to go work on stuff in the hall.A few minutes later the teacher came ut and thanked us for being vocal with our beliefs even against such opposition and commented on how she found it to be an appaling discussion thanks, in part, to her having an Arab husband (which she said she would never tell the rest of the class) and how she had wanted to see what people had thought about that sort of issue.

I asked if I could draw the coexist logo thing on the board and the teacher said that it really wouldn't do much but it would be a nice contrast to the day before. So, after we came back into the class and during the few minutes before the bell rang, I did. As people walked past U was suprised to hear them call me things like "faggot" and saying that it was "just a discussion".

[/rant]

Wow that took a long time... I'm going to edit that giant block of text later but until then do you have any stories to tell? Anything that can be done to show that this sort of thing is not okay?

Spoiler:
I personally want to go download on of those decapitation videos, I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one that involved an Arab woman and try to convince the teacher to allow me to show and narrate it to the class while describing how the victim is just another person while the grizzly scene plays behind me and try to generate some sort of compassion since logical analysis and sympathy are out of the question and maybe a shock would help... but that probably won't happen

User avatar
Ventanator
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Ventanator » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:38 am UTC

It's hard to convince people that what they believe is incorrect. I come from rural USA, and I know exactly what you mean. Until I made it to a university, I thought that everyone was just as dull as they people I knew in high school.

(Don't worry too much, they aren't. It will get better, but all you can really do until this is stick with your guns.)

User avatar
harpyblues
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:19 am UTC
Location: Chicago

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby harpyblues » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:52 am UTC

I used to do Day of Silence for my GSA chapter, but yeah. While I'd say my school is a lot more tolerant of LGBT couples than your average public high school (and we actually have couples that feel secure enough to hold hands in the hallway, which is nice), it's still not great. We have a lot of homophobes at school that sometimes harass the LGBT kids and we've also got other forms of bullying, like shunning, that can be just as bad. Apart from raising awareness, there's not a whole lot you can do. Race or sexual orientation or whatever, high schools aren't exactly thriving beds of tolerance, most of the time.

Edit: Female circumcision isn't even an excluseively Muslim practice. It's more a North African culture thing in general, and you get plenty of the more local religious groups, as well as Christians, that practice it. But, yeah, people won't bother researching right when they're looking to scapegoat.
michaelandjimi wrote:But these are zombies of cuteness!

User avatar
katethegreat
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby katethegreat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:05 am UTC

That is appalling. Sometimes I wonder when watching the news who can actually believe the "Obama wasn't born in the US" and "building a mosque will threaten us all" stuff, the stupidity and ignorance necessary astounds me. And... now I know who those people are I guess... :?

Sorry that you have to sit through all that. :(

iamevn
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby iamevn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:04 am UTC

Oh god I just realized that I left out the worst comment.

"i don't want muslims to come into america. I think we should divide the country into two: peope who want a safe america and people who want to let terrorists into our country. And then we'll see how you like it. You'll see! You'll see how you were wrong if you pet muslims into the government."

(this is after we had learned about the KKK not two months ago, and are just covering WWII)
I have no clue why I didn't remember this in initial rant, probably because it is so idiotic that I cannot understand how someone would think that.


I kinda blame the media of today for spreading misinformation instead of facts.

User avatar
Meteorswarm
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am UTC
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

iamevn wrote:"i don't want muslims to come into america. I think we should divide the country into two: peope who want a safe america and people who want to let terrorists into our country. And then we'll see how you like it. You'll see! You'll see how you were wrong if you pet muslims into the government."


While your classmates are horrible, this idea has (amusingly) been floated by the other side: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesusland_map

(and for those too lazy to click):
Spoiler:
Image
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

User avatar
PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters
Posts: 2915
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:05 am UTC

One thing to remember is that your classmates are mostly repeating stuff they hear at home. If they leave your town at all they will have to change somewhat at real life intrudes on their ideas.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

I've been driving around to various small towns in the Midwest in the last year. While admittedly anecdotal, the same story I hear over and over again is that they won't leave their town. Maybe for a couple years to attend State U. But then they'll be back. My sympathies, though. There are probably more thoughtful, tolerant people than you think, but the fear of being ostracized or publicly shamed is very strong. I stayed silent far too many times.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Jahoclave » Sun May 01, 2011 1:10 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I've been driving around to various small towns in the Midwest in the last year. While admittedly anecdotal, the same story I hear over and over again is that they won't leave their town. Maybe for a couple years to attend State U. But then they'll be back. My sympathies, though. There are probably more thoughtful, tolerant people than you think, but the fear of being ostracized or publicly shamed is very strong. I stayed silent far too many times.

Yeah, especially down here in the Springfield area it can be quite awful. And more anecdotal stuff from student writing; they've never even been exposed to a world outside their small town. Hell, I'd almost like to have an Obama presidency test--I'm pretty sure they'd actually flunk on the basis of reality. They don't even have the capacity to separate fact from fiction. I suppose in the future I could help by giving them a list of websites they aren't allowed to use--and then list the preponderance of sites from infowars to the drudge report.

That said, the conservative right at the moment is a huge hindrance to education. It's not a matter of actually looking at facts and making informed opinions as it is being told the truth from on high. Plus, the huge use of the banking model of education helps reinforce that model.

Sorry, I'm ranting, but college freshman shouldn't suck so much.

So yeah, I wouldn't be too sure they'll change any.

User avatar
Mokele
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:18 pm UTC
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Mokele » Sun May 01, 2011 1:41 am UTC

You know what strikes me about this story?

I was taking a college elective in Comparative Religion. In the fall semester of 2001. In the south.

The reactions of the students *then* were far more moderate and less venomous than those described in this post.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby podbaydoor » Mon May 02, 2011 3:40 am UTC

Remember, the OP's story takes place in a high school. College will have a different mix of people, especially electives.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

collegestudent22
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby collegestudent22 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:11 am UTC

I have a big problem with this thread. Not the issue of racism; that's despicable. The idea that this kind of thing can only happen in "small town America" or even commonly occurs there is the issue - it's just as discriminatory to assume that the "country bumpkins" are all racists as the actual racists. I grew up with parents in the military, and everywhere I went this sort of thing happened. It was just more obvious in smaller towns. You'll understand when I explain it.

When I was in 3rd grade in New Mexico, I was being bullied by a kid. This came to a head when we were playing some touch football - the bully decided to tackle me. No biggie, he's just a jerk, right? Wrong, he continued to slug me while I was on the ground. I'm just a nerd, so I do the only thing I can think of - fight back. Both broke the rules, so we are both disciplined. However, he is punished with in-school suspension for 1 day, while I get out-of-school suspension for 3 days. A bit unfair, especially as I was just defending myself, so my parents go in to talk to the principal, hoping to at least make it so I can still get credit for assignments. They are told, with me in the room, flat out "He [the other student] is just a poor, black kid." For reference, no one is "poor" here - the school is on a military base and only has children of military families that live on base (with all the services provided for these people) attending. The assumption of poverty and the requirement for special treatment was based entirely on his race. Note that this is a white principal that is not consciously racist - in fact, he probably thought he was going out of his way to NOT be.

Another example, in 9th grade in California, another student was placed randomly on our soccer team in PE class. It was merely a matter of counting off "1, 2, 3, 4" and all the "1"'s on the first team, you know the drill. Anyway, this kid, while standing right next to me ant the rest of the team, told the teacher: "I don't want to be on a team with crackers and spics." (the kid was black, for the record) The teacher responded, not with disgust for the ethnic slurs and discipline for this clearly racist kid, but with a casual switching of the kid to another team, as if that was ordinary behavior to be encouraged.

Those are just the two most overt instances I experienced. And while the plural of anecdote is not (empirical) data, it does illustrate my point very well. When I was in small towns, especially in the West, I experienced very little racism on any group's part. (Part of this may be due to the fact that there are fewer minorities in states like Wyoming. Lack of experience means that diversity is not an issue either way.) However, when I was in the more liberal parts of the country (California, New York, etc.) I saw more of an acceptance of racism, but ONLY if it was the minority that was being racist (which seems a little racist, doesn't it?). In the South, racism was more common, but I wouldn't say it was often overt, or even generally common - just a bit more common than elsewhere. (In my experience, roughly 95% of the people were not racist, but about 5% - of all races, generally - were racists, consciously or not.)

Jahoclave wrote:Hell, I'd almost like to have an Obama presidency test--I'm pretty sure they'd actually flunk on the basis of reality. They don't even have the capacity to separate fact from fiction. I suppose in the future I could help by giving them a list of websites they aren't allowed to use--and then list the preponderance of sites from infowars to the drudge report.

That said, the conservative right at the moment is a huge hindrance to education. It's not a matter of actually looking at facts and making informed opinions as it is being told the truth from on high. Plus, the huge use of the banking model of education helps reinforce that model.


This thread also seems to be trending towards assuming that conservatives are somehow less educated and more racist. A preposterous notion, given that it was the Democratic party that held slaves, fought to keep slaves when the Republican Lincoln was elected, instituted Jim Crow, demanded to be recompensed for their slaves after the Civil War, and segregated the military (Wilson). They further fought against the civil rights movement, only passing a law when public opinion forced them to (and then left it to the Republican Eisenhower to enforce). And yet, somehow, the conservatives are the uneducated, racist bumpkins!? Someone needs to learn their history. (I say this as a pro-life Libertarian, for the record.)

User avatar
KestrelLowing
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm UTC
Location: Michigan

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon May 02, 2011 12:43 pm UTC

You have to remember that at one point, the republican party were not conservative - for example, they wanted to abolish slavery. The name has stayed the same, but the roles have changed.

collegestudent22
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby collegestudent22 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

I don't think so. The Republican Party has become more socially conservative, and the Democrats more socially liberal. This means nothing in terms of racism, though. There wasn't some kind of mass exodus, where all the racists in the 1950s switched to the Republican Party - and some of my examples were relatively recent (Eisenhower in the 1950s, for example). The difference is what foundation the values are built upon. The Republicans (as a party) tend to have more Biblical principles guiding their philosophy, meaning that equal rights for different races makes sense to them, but gay marriage doesn't. The Democrats (as a party) seem to be either (A) whatever the Republicans don't want or (B) whatever is most convenient to the powerful in their party (no transfats? banning salt from restaurants in NYC? etc.). Libertarians, like myself, tend to be guided by the principle of "do whatever you want as long as you don't hurt someone else".

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8915
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Bakemaster » Mon May 02, 2011 11:48 pm UTC

Why is it that Libertarians, like yourself, tend to be constitutionally incapable of not talking about how smart Libertarians are and how wrong everyone else is, no matter what the topic of conversation was originally?

But really, great job saving this thread from politics with your mad history skills.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

collegestudent22
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby collegestudent22 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:09 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Why is it that Libertarians, like yourself, tend to be constitutionally incapable of not talking about how smart Libertarians are and how wrong everyone else is, no matter what the topic of conversation was originally?


Why is it that you took a mere explanation of the differing political philosophies as such a statement?

But really, great job saving this thread from politics with your mad history skills.


The perception of racism is inextricably bound up in politics. Without defining racism based on your own politics, you end up with a result that even mentioning race in any kind of weighty conversation is racist, because it implies that skin color makes a difference in some way. Thus, the NAACP is just as racist as the KKK (although obviously non-violent) because it sets apart the "colored person" as different.

User avatar
Kizyr
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 am UTC
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Kizyr » Tue May 03, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

Yeah, this makes me glad I graduated high school in 2001 before Sept. 11th.

This is unfortunately unsurprising, but I gotta honestly, seriously commend you for continuing to speak out there. I might've tried to do the same were I in the same position (I'm Muslim, by the way) but, there's still a likelihood it would've either descended into just a bunch of yelling or me crying and running out of the room. KF
~Kizyr
Image

User avatar
Kurushimi
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Kurushimi » Tue May 03, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

collegestudent22 wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:Why is it that Libertarians, like yourself, tend to be constitutionally incapable of not talking about how smart Libertarians are and how wrong everyone else is, no matter what the topic of conversation was originally?


Why is it that you took a mere explanation of the differing political philosophies as such a statement?

But really, great job saving this thread from politics with your mad history skills.


The perception of racism is inextricably bound up in politics. Without defining racism based on your own politics, you end up with a result that even mentioning race in any kind of weighty conversation is racist, because it implies that skin color makes a difference in some way. Thus, the NAACP is just as racist as the KKK (although obviously non-violent) because it sets apart the "colored person" as different.


While I don't contest most of that you said here, I must say that under no reasonable stretch of the imagination is the NAACP as racist as the KKK. Just the implicit assertion that skin color makes a difference in some-way doesn't make them as racist as the KKK. If you want to make an analogy, make one that makes sense.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26453
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 03, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

Kurushimi wrote:Just the implicit assertion that skin color makes a difference in some-way doesn't make them as racist as the KKK.
Especially since skin color undeniably does make a difference, even if only because other people incorrectly believe it should.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8915
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Bakemaster » Tue May 03, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

Libertarians be all, "Fucking context, how does it work!?"
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26453
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 03, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Now now, no need to insult *all* libertarians by saying they're like collegestudent22. I've met a few who actually understood how people work.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8915
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Bakemaster » Tue May 03, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

A true libertarian would defend to the death my right to insult all libertarians! Sure, maybe in your ivory castle there's "no need" to defend the soul of our nation by exercising every right, with no regard to utility or common decency, in order to prevent an egregious atrophy of liberty in the musculature of the people. I'll just be over here, doing freedom chin-ups and sovereignty squats while you kneel down in front of eminent domain, unzip its fly and give quarter to soldiers, Greg!.

This has all been much too silly. Libertarianism has nothing to do with italics! And those euphemisms don't make sense!
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

Well, I've definitely discovered what I'll use for my stripper persona!
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

collegestudent22
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby collegestudent22 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

Kurushimi wrote:I must say that under no reasonable stretch of the imagination is the NAACP as racist as the KKK. Just the implicit assertion that skin color makes a difference in some-way doesn't make them as racist as the KKK. If you want to make an analogy, make one that makes sense.


I'd say placing the entire race in the "victim" category, whether to be denounced or farmed as "ballot cattle" by preaching revisionist history to the uneducated, is racist. In addition, the mere existence of the organization, fighting for the advancement of blacks (but only if they are Democrats - remember the ruckus over Clarence Thomas's appointment to the Supreme Court) when they clearly have legal equality, is to fight for the advancement of blacks OVER others. Although, to be fair, I should have pointed to the New Black Panthers - they fit better with the past incarnations of the KKK (which is probably what y'all thought when I didn't clarify it) because of their more violent form of racism.

In other words, as the modern KKK is mostly non-violent, and only pushed legislation that gave the upper hand to whites (say affirmative action, but for whites), would it not still be racist? Given that all races have true equality under the law - and have for a few decades now - does not the NAACP do the same, only the other direction? That is not to say that it wasn't needed during the time of the civil rights movement, but now it is a relic of a past time - and a racist one at that.

User avatar
Kurushimi
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Kurushimi » Tue May 03, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

My statement was saying "the NAACP is just as racist as the KKK" is a ridiculous statement. Nothing you said up there contradicts that.

Now, on your point that the NAACP is racist. Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. NAACP does not hold this belief. The NAACP is not racist.

To the question whether the NAACP has given advantages to people that do not require or deserve them based on their race, then yeah probably .

To the question of whether the NAACP has given advantages to people who do require and deserve them, then yeah probably .

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26453
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 03, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

This thread is not about how racist different organizations are.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

engr
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:08 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby engr » Mon May 09, 2011 3:27 am UTC

I once saw kids drawing swastikas with markers on tables. In a high school class. Nerdy, advanced-math-and-computer-science kids. Jewish kids. In Israel. I kid you not.
Now that I think about it, I think it was one kid who was drawing it, others were just kind of laughing. Perhaps they just liked the whole "forbidden" thing? I don't know.

collegestudent22 wrote:I saw more of an acceptance of racism, but ONLY if it was the minority that was being racist (which seems a little racist, doesn't it?)


Well, it all makes perfect sense, since American liberals tend to believe that minorities cannot be racist (unless whites are the minority, then they can). They define racism in terms of power, and whites are always in power while non-whites are always oppressed. So any white person is racist and any black person is not a racist, by definition. It does not matter what their views are, or how they behave, or what their incomes and jobs are. It does not matter which one of them has power (physical, power of employer-employee relationship, etc.) A white guy will always be a racist, and a black guy will never be one, by definition.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. Gilbert K. Chesterton

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8915
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Bakemaster » Mon May 09, 2011 4:30 am UTC

Man, those damn engineers, always making bullshit generalizations. When will they learn?
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
fimzo
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:48 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby fimzo » Wed May 11, 2011 2:28 am UTC

Wow, that's terrible. I'm in a junior high in St. Paul, and I've never encountered something like that. In my history classes, when we talked about the Holocaust, KKK, etc., nearly everyone in the class was appalled, with the opposite reaction from what the students in your class had.

One thing I have noticed is that many of the black students at my school are in lower classes and think they can accomplish less, or have less opportunities to do more, because of the stereotypes about them. And this leads people to more strongly believe these stereotypes to be true, which further imprints this.
-Fimzo

ingeniera
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 6:30 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby ingeniera » Wed May 18, 2011 6:42 am UTC

Huh, that really does suck. Most people aren't like that though, or at least such that I've found. I grew up in Texas even, but a big city that wasn't Dallas so there's that too.

I guess I face some racism. Or something, I get like odd mexican jokes from friends in college and I notice my professors tend to pick me out a bit more though maybe I just sit up front too much or something. I don't really notice it much and am not offended.

Back home I get more crap depending on the side of town I go to. Like just getting pulled over for nothing because I'm dark skinned and on the north side of town (which is entirely wealthy white people). Or getting followed around stores, which is damn annoying. People assuming I don't speak english, or that I'm stupid, or just other bullshit.

I guess if there's that in the real world I'm less bothered by it in classes. My classes are focused on math and physics of some sort so discussions about race never come up.

collegestudent22
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby collegestudent22 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:16 am UTC

engr wrote:A white guy will always be a racist, and a black guy will never be one, by definition.


Hence, if a white guy were to do stand-up comedy using similar race-based stereotype jokes to Dave Chappelle or Carlos Mencia, or any other minority comedian, he would not be labelled a funny guy, but a racist.

fimzo wrote:One thing I have noticed is that many of the black students at my school are in lower classes and think they can accomplish less, or have less opportunities to do more, because of the stereotypes about them. And this leads people to more strongly believe these stereotypes to be true, which further imprints this.


I wonder if this would partially explain why inner city schools aren't as effective as other schools? Hmmm. Maybe there are some studies done somewhere. Probably not, though, because race-based studies can easily be labelled as racist....

Nat
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Nat » Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

engr wrote:I once saw kids drawing swastikas with markers on tables. In a high school class. Nerdy, advanced-math-and-computer-science kids. Jewish kids. In Israel. I kid you not.
Now that I think about it, I think it was one kid who was drawing it, others were just kind of laughing. Perhaps they just liked the whole "forbidden" thing? I don't know.

I don't think that really counts as racism, sounds more like they were complaining about hearing way too much about the holocaust by not taking it seriously.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 18, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

collegestudent22 wrote:Hence, if a white guy were to do stand-up comedy using similar race-based stereotype jokes to Dave Chappelle or Carlos Mencia, or any other minority comedian, he would not be labelled a funny guy, but a racist.

I'm not very surprised you are unable to see the hilarity of this statement.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby podbaydoor » Mon May 23, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

collegestudent22 wrote:
fimzo wrote:One thing I have noticed is that many of the black students at my school are in lower classes and think they can accomplish less, or have less opportunities to do more, because of the stereotypes about them. And this leads people to more strongly believe these stereotypes to be true, which further imprints this.


I wonder if this would partially explain why inner city schools aren't as effective as other schools? Hmmm. Maybe there are some studies done somewhere. Probably not, though, because race-based studies can easily be labelled as racist....

Do you live under a rock? Studies of how people are affected by their stereotypes have made it out into general pop culture, besides appearing all over academic journals. Have you even tried googling this? 5 seconds is all you need, in fact less time than it takes for you to type posts like that.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

collegestudent22
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby collegestudent22 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

I was referring not just to stereotypes, but the race angle. Mostly because the modern stereotypical black man is not one stuck in the inner city. Generally, the stereotype is that of a "gangsta rapper". At least, where I am from, anyway.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26453
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby gmalivuk » Mon May 23, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

Gangsta rappers all live in the 'burbs now, do they?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Jahoclave » Wed May 25, 2011 4:45 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
collegestudent22 wrote:
fimzo wrote:One thing I have noticed is that many of the black students at my school are in lower classes and think they can accomplish less, or have less opportunities to do more, because of the stereotypes about them. And this leads people to more strongly believe these stereotypes to be true, which further imprints this.


I wonder if this would partially explain why inner city schools aren't as effective as other schools? Hmmm. Maybe there are some studies done somewhere. Probably not, though, because race-based studies can easily be labelled as racist....

Do you live under a rock? Studies of how people are affected by their stereotypes have made it out into general pop culture, besides appearing all over academic journals. Have you even tried googling this? 5 seconds is all you need, in fact less time than it takes for you to type posts like that.

Hell, I wrote an essay on that my first semester in grad school.

And college: the anti-white bias you are seeing, tis only an illusion.

User avatar
Vellup
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 9:16 pm UTC
Location: With other Vellups

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Vellup » Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

Gosh, your class is hardcore. The most "extreme" racy thing I've ever saw in high school was when some asian students wrote something in Korean on the board. Then one of the other students wrote under it in English, "I ate a dog." Call me insensitive, but I honestly thought it was funny, and the students who had written the Korean letters brushed it off, acting half amused about it themselves. I mean, maybe asians aren't the best example to use in this sort of argument, but mentioning that would be racism in itself, right?

Perhaps it's because I live in Arizona which is quite diverse compared to a lot of the United States, but racism has never seemed that big of a deal to me, and at least in public, different people seem to intermingle just fine. In my opinion, it's people who still live under the delusion that racism is a bigger problem than it really is, which leads to conflicts such the overreaction to our recent "immigration law" as people tend to put it. In college for example, I am required to take a class in "diversity," such as on customs on Africa or Latin America, because for some reason, Russian History doesn't cut it as "foreign" enough. Go figure.

collegestudent22
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby collegestudent22 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:And college: the anti-white bias you are seeing, tis only an illusion.


It was no illusion. It was quite overt and obvious. But, by all means, go ahead and deny the racism if it is against whites. (I mean, it didn't happen to YOU, did it? Must never occur, right?) We've done the same for years with affirmative action and other policies.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8915
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Blatant racism in class

Postby Bakemaster » Fri May 27, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

collegestudent22 wrote:by all means, go ahead and deny the racism if it is against whites.

Thanks for giving permission, whitey.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc


Return to “School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests