Online High School Experiences?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

P13808

Online High School Experiences?

Postby P13808 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:01 am UTC

I'm highly considering going into an online high school--Connections Academy--and was wondering if any forumers here have any input on such. My psychological doctors say no because I need the social interaction, but then I've read that studies show home schooled kids do just fine socially and that would probably apply here as well. I think the increased course selection is beneficial as well as a better environment(being out as a transsexual in a conservative-filled school isn't always nice) where my peers aren't causing me problems. Plus, hey, it's a new experience. But then I'm freaking out over it and thus looking for input from others thus I turn here.

Alex-J

Re: Online High School Experiences?

Postby Alex-J » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

I don't know what study you read or what you considered, but I think "home schooled kids can grow up to lead a normal" applies to kids who still interact with their peers (through sports, activities, or just meeting up with others) and who already have healthy peer interactions. When your doctor is already concerned with your social skills/interactions this could cripple you farther. (feel free to ignore this if you don't believe it apples to you for some reason)

If you think you school is highly conservative you could try attending another in your town. Even if your whole town is fairly conservative you may be surprised on how different some areas can be.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: Online High School Experiences?

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Being home schooled doesn't generally mean that someone is just sitting at home studying on their own or being given lessons by a private tutor/their parents. Home schooled kids very often take their lessons in groups and have quite a bit of social interaction, only on a more intimate scale and environment relative to conventional schooling.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Return to “School”