How much are you paying for books this semester?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

$0-$199 (but I'm in college)
43%
$200-$299
10%
$300-$399
11%
$400-$499
8%
$500-$599
7%
$600-$699
6%
$700-$799
1%
$800-$899
1%
$900-$999
1%
$1000-$1999
1%
$2000-$2999
No votes
$3000-$3999
No votes
I'm paying so much for freaking books I'm off the scale.
No votes
Not in college/have no need to buy textbooks
12%

Total votes: 112

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

So, I just got the list for the textbooks I'll be needing this semester. Hence the question.

So how much are you paying for books this semester? My guess is everyone's could be summed up in "too much!" but I'm just curious.

Dopefish

Re: How much are you paying for books this semester?

Postby Dopefish » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

I only need a couple books this semester, as a couple of my courses are essentially sequels to earlier courses, covering later sections in textbooks I already have. If I'm really lucky I might even be able to get them at a discount too as I have connections with the publisher. 8)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

Just to clarify, are you asking for the total price for all required materials purchased new from the college bookstore, or the real amount paid/planned to pay, from e.g. online retailers, Craigslist, rentals?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Just to clarify, are you asking for the total price for all required materials purchased new from the college bookstore, or the real amount paid/planned to pay, from e.g. online retailers, Craigslist, rentals?

Well, I was going with what I'm actually going to pay - used, online, and from other people. If it was new from the bookstore, holy crap. I don't even want to think about it.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

When I was a student (2006-2010), I budgeted $600 a semester to buy used books - either online, from the bookstore, or, occasionally if I lucked out, from another student.

Most of my classes were only offered once every 2 or 3 years, or were one time offerings, so it was difficult to find the books to buy from other students. In general, rather than one or two textbooks, I would have 7 or 8 books per class, plus at least $50 worth of printing online materials.

As such, I never sold back my books either because there was no one to take it and the payback became negligible once I went through the trouble of hauling 30 books to the post office on foot.

Lady Macaroni

Postby Lady Macaroni » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

Eight books for the semester, list price ~$260, Amazon for ~$140. 8)
Chaoszerom wrote:Someone hit someone else in the face with a fire extinguisher in the first 100 words, I can't let that slide!

It's a good day to kick some ass.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:41 pm UTC

Lady Macaroni wrote:Eight books for the semester, list price ~$260, Amazon for ~$140. 8)

eight? EIGHT!? I have one text book that's $280 used online!

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

I theorise they're book books (fiction and the like), rather than textbooks.

Textbooks are pricey, 'regular' books not so much.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

Dopefish wrote:I theorise they're book books (fiction and the like), rather than textbooks.

Textbooks are pricey, 'regular' books not so much.

It varies a lot by discipline I think. I haven't really had classes for a few years, but I think the most expensive books I ever had were in the $120 range, new list price.

I am in computer science, but I get the sense that some things like bio fields are even much worse is terms of textbook price (and release behavior). Probably most of my late semesters (after I discovered half.com) were $200-300 or something for 5 books, say. (Just a guess.)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

I've had several required texts with a list price of over $200. Each was for a class in one of the main hard sciences—bio, chem, physics.

Not really sure yet what my costs will be next month. I have a much lighter course load than I've had previously, though, so I expect to spend around $300 total when all is said and done. We'll see; if I can stay under $200, I'll be thrilled.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

raike

Postby raike » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:46 pm UTC

Hmm, I need to buy 4 books, since I already have the fifth one, and the lab manual I need is online...
If I got everything new from Amazon, it'd be just under $400 (two of them are in the mid-100s, and two are about $60). If I can get some or all of those used, I can get it down to half of that, maybe.

Now that I compare my university bookstore's prices with those of Amazon, I see that the price of a new book on Amazon is about the same as a used book from the bookstore. Lovely.
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

clever_username

Postby clever_username » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

I was just over 600, as I had to buy a couple of large textbooks that will be used in this and subsequent semesters, especially physics. My genocide class requires 7 books, too, so that was a bit annoying. I got them from Amazon and they were all less new than used at our bookstore.

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

Mine was close to $600, something like $580 or $590*. I'm pretty sure that a third of it was for physics, and chemistry wasn't exactly inexpensive either.

*Actually, if you don't count the code I had to buy to get into the online physics homework site we're supposedly using, I guess it was more like $520 or $530 for actual books.
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

gavin

Postby gavin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

I generally used abebooks.com and usually got a good deal. I always asked professors if I could get previous editions exclaiming that I need to eat that semester. Usually professors with their names on the books would say I needed the newest, others said it would be fine. I usually went with previous editions either way. I never spent more than $300 per semester with that logic, even when I was in premed and taking advanced science course which I found to have the most expensive books of all. Even exceeding books related to my religion degree. My business degree was the cheapest of all, surprisingly enough.

I'd be interested in seeing what field of study the individuals who spent the most were in.

EDIT: Oh, I also used Amazon, of course. Abebooks isn't always the cheaper and if you can get something for a similar price at Amazon you generally always should because abebooks is sometimes slow as hell. But I'd regularly find a previous edition for $1 plus shipping.

engr

Postby engr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am UTC

I'm in grad school and will only be taking 2 classes this fall. Only one of them requires a book, which I luckily was able to buy used.
Now, 5 years ago, during my freshman year... :shivers:
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. Gilbert K. Chesterton

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:09 am UTC

I'm a freshman (well, tackling some more advanced classes - APs covered the necessary prereqs) CS major, and so far I've had to pay $300 for 3 books (computer architecture, discrete math, java). I have a few others classes that haven't posted any books (hopefully they haven't posted any because there aren't any), so we'll see.

maxh

Postby maxh » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:23 am UTC

Almost 700$, though one of them isn't actually a book, rather a stack of pages that I had to bind myself.

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

I don't know exactly how much I'm spending on books yet, but it'll be somewhere in the $500-$600 dollar range. I hope.

Edit: I have seen the (prices of my ) future (text books). My organic chem books might end up costing $400.
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

raike

Postby raike » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

Now that I've ordered stuff, I got four books for just under $200, with shipping. The only downside is that shipping will take between 5 and 14 days. Pity.
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:23 am UTC

Was supposed to be $150, got it for $85 after a gift card for Amazon was found and I ordered a pound of dice and a couple used CDs to go with it.

EDIT: also, this thread should be locked and everyone's post changed to either "too much" or "more than they're worth", the substitution being randomly chosen.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

B++

Postby B++ » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

I paid $220 for six books. Two of them are regular books and one is actually a textbook, work book, and CD. I bought one book and rented another from my college's bookstore. The rest I got from Amazon.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:24 am UTC

As of now, only 4/6 of my classes have posted anything and I don't have any "required" books. This is very likely to change though as I'm very certain the last two will have books and being Math and Physics classes they will probably cost a decent amount.

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

I'm now in the $600 + range. And I still need to buy lab books. ;_;

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

Apparently the students in the nursing program need damn near $900 in books and an iTouch and a good number of them are useless e-books. If they could be resold, they'd be useful.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

Well, never mind. I moved up a category. I have now spent $707 on books and I still need to buy one more. :evil:

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:30 am UTC

$675

First semester of Freshman year.

;_;

NotlimTheGreat

Postby NotlimTheGreat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:20 am UTC

This semester its only around 350. My first two semesters last year was in the range of 600-1000 each though. I was sort of surprised seeing i didn't have to fork out so much this time around.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:56 am UTC

This is my first semester of grad school. My books are mostly cheap, but there are a lot of them and most aren't any cheaper used. They were about $650 new from Amazon, but I think in the end they'll be more like $400 thanks to rentals.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

This semester was nice to me, only $110.

vulgar_wheat

Postby vulgar_wheat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

Only needed to get five books this semester. Two of them (for computer systems) I got for free from a friend, an algebra text for about 30, a logic text for about 30*, and a physics textbook for 80 (which I could've gotten for cheaper if I had remembered to buy it ahead of time). So five books for about 140, which is pretty nice.

It's pretty nice that almost all of the compsci classes here don't have textbooks. To the best of my knowledge, Computer Systems is the one and only cs class for which I'll have to get a text*. In the past, all the classes were entirely self contained; and from what I know from other people, that's how all the upper-level classes are, too. It's a different story in math, but...

*It's not entirely true. It's very possible to take the class WITHOUT the text; it was written specifically for the course, and the lecture slides are all put online. Still, I found it to give some helpful background info, and... I got it for free.

doinkisaac

Postby doinkisaac » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

Technically, I'm paying $33.18 (used physics book). Factoring in my regular books (I could get from library, but I'll probably buy), and test prep books: $354.96 (includes full price for the physics book). With my textbooks (yay highschool), it's $1042.81 (full price).

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:47 am UTC

Chinese wholesalers are a godsend for textbooks.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:18 am UTC

In college, I never paid more than $250 for textbooks in a term. I bought them from the campus bookstore. The average was probably about $150.

But, to be fair, I was always very careful about which books I bought.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

This semester I'm taking 1 class: it's $50 for the used textbook and around $5 for each case study. In total, it will be around $100. Luckily I'm able to print at work so I save a ton on printing costs as there are around 30 pages of online reading to do a class.

coyotebush

Postby coyotebush » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:03 am UTC

Two used old editions, one rental (first time trying this), and one workbook.
Total: $129.43

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:38 am UTC

17 credits, ~$120. Win. $80 math book (Honors Math 1, multivariable but a level up) and $40 greek book. ComSci books online. All new.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Nat

Postby Nat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

Just one book (Hartshorne's algebraic geometry), not because I really need it for a course, since the library has it, more because I'd like to have it to read in my spare time.

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

I spent probably $600 on books each term my first year at my school. Most people I met seemed to be under the impression that "required" actually meant required and you'd fail if you didn't have it. By now (first term of senior year), I pretty much didn't even get the books for half of my classes, and if I did it would be by going in with two of my other friends. So a book that cost $260 from my school's bookstore, we end up finding the exact same edition on ebay for $50, and splitting that three ways ends up really cutting down on the cost. Now, the exception to this is books that will be useful to me later on in life. I actually purchased the books related to power systems analysis and such, so I'll have those for reference if I need them later on. But there's no way in hell I'm spending $60 on a history book I'll never pick up again after the class ends.

This term, I've spent a grand total of $100 on books for the three classes that require books.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

I started university yesterday and learned that textbooks there aren't mandatory, but are highly recommended and each teacher provided a few suggestions. If I buy them all new I'll spend over 200€ (about 280$ I think), I might end up making photocopies as many students do.

HamonRat

Postby HamonRat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

Hmm... i don't need to buy books. Library all books give us for free. We must buy some pens, pencils and a lot of notebooks. Some years ago we need to but... hmm... 15 or 20 books and in addition some workbooks. Thanks God, that now school give us books for free. :oops:

Return to “School”