How much are you paying for books this semester?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

How much are you paying for books this semester?

$0-$199 (but I'm in college)
43%
$200-$299
10%
$300-$399
11%
$400-$499
8%
$500-$599
7%
$600-$699
6%
$700-$799
1%
$800-$899
1%
$900-$999
1%
$1000-$1999
1%
$2000-$2999
No votes
$3000-$3999
No votes
I'm paying so much for freaking books I'm off the scale.
No votes
Not in college/have no need to buy textbooks
12%

Total votes: 112

Felixworks

Re: How much are you paying for books this semester?

Postby Felixworks » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:03 am UTC

$0. My books altogether cost ~$500, but the program I'm in pays for my books. Yay.

raike

Postby raike » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 am UTC

I forgot about this thread!
My books just arrived yesterday - except for one which I'm getting at the university bookstore because it includes some on-line subscription thing for homework that's apparently required.
So, $70 for three books off of Amazon, all of them used and in decent condition - one math book, two economics books. The other book, an economics text, will probably be around $130, since used books don't come with the subscription :x - so, $200 this semester - not too bad.
It's a good thing I've a copy of the sole electrical engineering textbook I need this semester - that would've run me well over $100, even for a battered used copy.
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:24 am UTC

raike wrote:an economics text will probably be around $130, since used books don't come with the subscription :x - so, $200 this semester - not too bad.

Ugh. Subscriptions and e-books. What a useless bunch of crap.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:28 am UTC

Zero. I'm expected to work off lecture notes in all my classes.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

I just looked and both the Modern Phy6 and Inorganic Chem books are about $200 new and current edition. Not doing that; ordering old edition, even if it makes studying impossible.

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

raike

Postby raike » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:15 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I just looked and both the Modern Phy6 and Inorganic Chem books are about $200 new and current edition. Not doing that; ordering old edition, even if it makes studying impossible.

Why would having an older edition of a Modern Physics book and an Inorganic Chem book make studying impossible? I can't imagine that the material's changed (at least, at the undergraduate level) in the last few years enough for the prose and problems to be outdated (do correct me if I'm wrong on this point).
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:31 pm UTC

I'm only taking four classes this semester and I'm trading some of my old textbooks for one I need this semester and one book is really inexpensive so I spent about $160 this semester for textbooks. Not bad, in my opinion.

fearless

Postby fearless » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:00 pm UTC

I normally pay the equivalent of just under $400. (I live in Africa so $400 is actually a lot more in terms of PPP) The bulk of it goes towards buying a set of books that I use in my open book exams. They get updated annually so I can't buy it second hand or sell it to someone else.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:30 pm UTC

raike wrote:
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I just looked and both the Modern Phy6 and Inorganic Chem books are about $200 new and current edition. Not doing that; ordering old edition, even if it makes studying impossible.

Why would having an older edition of a Modern Physics book and an Inorganic Chem book make studying impossible? I can't imagine that the material's changed (at least, at the undergraduate level) in the last few years enough for the prose and problems to be outdated (do correct me if I'm wrong on this point).

It's not so much studying class notes that would be difficult, just doing HW from the book (if any) would require a little more legwork. I was being dramatiq (see how hip & Kool® I am?).

coyotebush

Postby coyotebush » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:28 am UTC

6 books in total, plus a clicker and a calculator, all used, for some $191. And I expect I'd be able to sell any of them again for about the same price I paid.

(edit: got a scientific calculator today)

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

paid just over 100$ for books this new semester. bought the international edition of my Spectroscopic Analysis text for 70$ + 3.99$ shipping, and I'm splitting the cost of my Psychoparmacology text with my roommate, so each of us pays 30.15$. all my other texts are being used again from last semester's course work for the second half of hte course.
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:39 am UTC

$365 for 6 courses (18 credit hours) worth of books. Borrowing one book from a friend who took the same course last semester.

EDIT: I should add I'm not paying this out of pocket. But the books I'm using cost that much.

eaglewings51

Postby eaglewings51 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:17 am UTC

I put myself in the 300 - 399 category. That's strictly textbooks. Actually, including materials (I have to buy a DSLR camera), I'll probably actually be up to $1000. I don't buy my textbooks from my college bookstore. Bookstores RIP YOU OFF! I buy all my books off Abebooks or Amazon. It's way cheaper, sometimes by as much as 60%.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

So far I spent about 160€ on my books, which I mostly found with a discount on the internet, not counting one I photocopied because it was only needed for one month in which we were only going to cover half the book. However there are more subjects I haven't started yet because the semester ends at the end of january so I'll probably need more. Plus the second semester and two more years... I'll probably try asking my cousin if she can lend me anything since she's in her final year of a similar course.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:19 pm UTC

I have spent exactly £0 on books and am not expecting to spend any money on them this year let alone this term.

But then, I'm doing physics and at my uni the course is taught from the faculty's printed notes/handouts rather than a textbook and there's at least one copy of the few recommended books there are in my college library, departmental library and the university library.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

boXd

Postby boXd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:29 pm UTC

I, too, spent no money on books this semester. Thankfully, I live in a house full of people who've done the same courses, and they're all happy to loan me some books. :D

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:08 pm UTC

I only have the price for two of my three textbooks for the upcoming term (we take 3 classes a term, and have 4 7-week terms).

So far I've payed $94 for two of the textbooks. It was amazingly cheap. My diffeq's textbook was less than $30 new on amazon...

And I have no idea if I'll even need a textbook for robotics...

I'll add my vote when I know what textbooks I need for D-Term.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

villadelfia

Postby villadelfia » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

40 EUR.

I bought the 2 books that weren't overpriced (that is, < 30 EUR) and pirated the rest.

My parents earn 3 EUR too much to get a scholarship, and I simply can not afford the books.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:01 am UTC

Nothing, because I'm graduating!

Kevin88

Postby Kevin88 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

My books were about $700 for the first semester. These books are so expensive. As soon as you professors put up the list of books you need, then search on barns and noble or amazon or any website that sells used books. Used books are so much cheaper. Make sure you know what your professor wants because I bought books before classes started and we didnt use half of them for one particular class. Good Luck!

Return to “School”