Highschool math course for CS & programming

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

corpsen999

Highschool math course for CS & programming

Postby corpsen999 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:13 am UTC

I'm hoping to get a degree in computer science (specifically programming) and I was wondering which types of math courses I should take.

Currently I'm in tenth grade academic math. Academic means that as I progress I'll be.learning concepts that I'd use in university (theoretical concepts). I could change to applied math which would teach me practical concepts for college.

Which do you guys think would be more useful for computer science and programming?

Hecate

Re: Highschool math course for CS & programming

Postby Hecate » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

I'm not certain how it works where you are, but in my province the "applied" math program is simply a Basically Decent name change for what used to be called the "general" or "basic" math program. Personally, it baffles me that they would change the name to applied math (especially as someone doing an applied math major) since that name implies (to me, at least) that it is just as academically rigorous as academic math but with a focus on problem solving in addition to theory; the fact that it is essentially the old basic math comes off as an unintentional slight against applied math. But that's not particularly important.

In order to give you a definitive answer, I'd have to see the curricula for academic and applied math where you live. It is my understanding that many places have adopted the "applied math" title for courses that are below the standard math curriculum academically, and I wouldn't want you to take applied math only to realise later that it is unsatisfactory preparation for university.

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:58 am UTC

From what I have seen in University brochures, you usually need calculus/vectors (MCV4U) and advanced Functions (MHF4U). This means that you should take Academic (as opposed to Applied), then the "university" math courses. Universities also usually want University English courses (ENG3U & ENG4U) as well. (of course this assumes you are going to University)
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Science is to Civil Engineering.

What kind of Programming degree are you hoping to get? Do you like abstract mathematics?

How important is social status to you? How good are your marks? Do you have a strong work ethic? Can you afford 4+ years of living without income and accumulating debt, with the possibility that you'll fail out?

What kind of programming do you want to do? How certain are you about that? Why do you want to become a programmer?

All of the above questions will help, but none will help enough.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

Take every math course you can.

Return to “School”