freaking out bout graduate school

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

some1lesscreativestolemyname

freaking out bout graduate school

Postby some1lesscreativestolemyname » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:21 am UTC

ok heres the deal, i had a terrible 1st year in college, (2.5 gpa), solid 3.8/4.0 in my 2nd year, with harder courses, and i feel fairly confident i can keep up these grades (or higher hopefully) over the next 2 years. Im thinking of grad school in applied math(double majoring in physics and comp. sci, with a bunch of extra math courses), have some research experience in computational physics, and computational biology(worked with profs), might have my name on a research paper by the end of this year, buuut how bad does that 1st year gpa look? does it completely kill my chances at top schools, where should i consider applying to?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: freaking out bout graduate school

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:42 am UTC

Adjusting to your first year in college can be hard for any sort of person. What's important is that you overcame it and put it behind you for the rest of your undergraduate career. No, it does not kill your chances at top schools. Go after that research experience, and if you decide you really like research, keep doing it as much as you can. Grades are something that you stop getting once you leave school. Research is not. If you can really shine in that arena you will be a very attractive grad school applicant.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:20 am UTC

An awful lot is forgiven regarding your first year (or even two) of undergrad if your grades have an upward trend and you have good letters of recommendation (plus research experience but that's already been mentioned). Right now your focus should be on continuing to maintain a high standard and you should have a good shot.

One suggestion though, if you find yourself slipping again then drop one of the majors or the extra math courses to focus your efforts on one. A 3.8 average in 2 majors is awesome, but at the end of the day most schools would prefer a higher average in one subject than mediocrity in two, especially when you have your first year to consider.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

Short version for grad school admissions:

GPA, Experience, Recommendations, Test scores. Pick 3.

Newt

Postby Newt » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:46 pm UTC

I'd rephrase that as :

Sufficient test scores? y: Grades, Letters, research experience n: Application summarily dismissed.

vihita patel

Postby vihita patel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:39 am UTC

Hi, at the end of the day it's the trend that matters. If you have had an upward trend, you should be fine regarding to the grades. Also, make sure you get very good recommendation letters from the professors that know you personally and get lots and lots of hands on experience. Experience is the key to everything. As long as the grades go, there are ways around it. Graduate schools usually take a holistic approach. As long as you have a good GRE score, good experience, good recommendation letters and an upward trend you should be fine.

Return to “School”