Fundraising

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

nehpest

Fundraising

Postby nehpest » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:50 am UTC

I imagine lots of us do fundraising-type stuff at school. Be it for clubs, class trips, senior projects, or just because the school needs a new air conditioner, students do a lot to generate money for our activities. For my part, I somehow wound up being the fundraising person for a club at my university, and ideally I'd like to figure out how roughly two dozen undergrads can raise the ~$10k we will eventually need for our project.

So, I have a specific question: has anybody had success running a silent auction in a university setting, and if so would you please give me some advice? Alternatively, can you recommend other methods that have brought you success? Any advice would be awesome, and rewarded with internets and metaphorical cookies.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

Newt

Re: Fundraising

Postby Newt » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:00 pm UTC

I'd read through some auction theory papers(or maybe a survey) that have empirical components if you really want to run an auction(or probably just the abstracts/findings); it was a popular area of research for microeconomic theorists/experimental economists over the last couple decades. For large charitable auctions, it's my understanding that it would be suboptimal to do the auction silently; a lot of the charity racket is playing off people's desire to seem generous(although this appears to be primarily a motivator for women). OF course, you're probably not running a big enough auction for this to be a practical approach; it would still be useful to look into the advantages/disadvantages of silent auction formats(e.g., first price, second price, all pay).

Incidentally, someone presented a job market paper on charitable fundraising here last year;

http://www.econ.pitt.edu/graduate/jmpage.php?uid=99

I haven't looked too closely at it; it seems to be mostly game theory with an experiment thrown in. The conclusion is in the abstract; announcing a fundraising goal raises donations.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

I appreciate the paper, Newt. Seems I have some reading to do.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

Newt

Postby Newt » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 pm UTC

I personally wouldn't read more than the abstract, introduction, and conclusion unless you're really interested in the paper's findings/subject matter.

A quick search of "charitable auctions" in google scholar turned up some papers that seem pertinent, including "Silent auctions in the field and laboratory". A caveat there; it's published in a journal that is neither a top 'general interest' journal or field journal; a quick 'ranking' search listed it below "The Scandinavian journal of economics"; it may be a variant or partial survey of papers which were published in field journals, though.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:43 am UTC

Well, when we did it, granted we have a rather good relation with the university bookstore. We basically had all the items displayed prominently in the bookstore and sheets attached to each item where people could write in their bids. Then they could pay through the bookstore--meaning they could use those lovely credit card things. Then the bookstore just cut us a check.

We did have fliers and such posted around campus, but it was also a promotional thing to get people into the bookstore. So if you have some shop or something like that on campus, it at least offers them an incentive of getting people into the store.

Return to “School”