Lecture-induced narcolepsy

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

RobertWK

Lecture-induced narcolepsy

Postby RobertWK » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

I'm having some trouble in my academics and the serious problem is that during lectures my brain totally shuts off and I fall asleep. Also anything academically difficult or challenging has been causing the same effect. I'm also have some trouble retaining information.

I've been getting enough sleep at night (I don't feel tired throughout the day), and my diet has been alright. I've started exercising at least once, twice a week, but it still seems to happen.

I don't want to go through two or three more years of having this problem.

Aside from modifying my intake and adding supplements, I've considered ingesting maybe 1, .5, or .25 mg of nicotine on a regular basis to encourage new memory retention and focus despite it having toxicological effects.

Any advice or ideas? I'm probably missing a whole bunch of information but I don't know what other information to include without feedback. Has anyone else had this problem?

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Re: Lecture-induced narcolepsy

Postby apricity » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:35 am UTC

I definitely suggest going to a doctor. I've had problems with fatigue recently, and my doctor tested me and found that my levels of iron and B12 were low and might have been causing it. Sure enough, I upped my intake of foods with iron and B12 and I feel normal again.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

RobertWK

Postby RobertWK » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

A doctor is definitely in my future, but I'm concerned that this happens only under these specific circumstances: doing challenging homework, trying to focus on a lecture/difficult problem, etc. Should I seek a neurologist? A general practicioner? A nutritionist? I don't have any insurance restrictions on what type of doctor I can see.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

Considering you don't yet have any reason to believe that it's neurological or nutrition-related or any other specific thing, start with a GP.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:12 am UTC

Start with a GP.

Also, don't try nicotine supplements - it's extremely addictive, and I'm not sure if it would be that helpful even if the addiction problem wasn't something to worry about. If anything, go for caffiene, but I would definitely see a GP first.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

RobertWK wrote:A doctor is definitely in my future, but I'm concerned that this happens only under these specific circumstances: doing challenging homework, trying to focus on a lecture/difficult problem, etc.

I've had times like this. My problem seemed to be some kind of fear of failure (and by "fear of failure" I don't mean (only) failure in the eyes of the rest of the group or the teacher, but fears such as "what if I try hard to understand this concept and just can't?"); maybe you have a problem such as mine. If yes, try and overcome it. It helped me.
And yes, as soon as you actually manage to complete a task, or make yourself work on a particular task for a few hours during consecutive days, you'll probably get more motivated and your problem might cease.

Oh, yeah, besides that - there's something in this short day regime that tends to induce sleepiness. :?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:40 am UTC

Much the same happens to me. It has led to some great embarrassment during meetings. I wish I knew the underlying neurological reason – the brain flooding with serotonin or something? I wouldn't jump right to conclusions about "fear of failure".

As per the last time this came up, an electrical shock pen helps somewhat.

You can also try taking copious notes.

markop2003

Postby markop2003 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

Make sure those supplements include iron, most student diets don;t contain enough. Also look at the slides online before the lecture if possible to work out whether you even need to be there, sure sometimes lecturers add in things taht aren't on the slides but most of the time they stick to them pretty strictly so if you already know everything they're going to cover you may as well not turn up.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote: I wouldn't jump right to conclusions about "fear of failure".

Well, I only proposed a possibility. I'm quite sure that was the problem with me. Unfortunately, it wasn't the only problem (the others remain mysterious), so I still have narcolepsy problems even when not fearing failure or whatever.

Return to “School”