Choosing an Area of Research

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Choosing an Area of Research

Postby firechicago » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:11 am UTC

So I recently started a job at an academic think thank. And my boss has said that as I get more comfortable in the job and am able to complete the administrative work that constitutes my job description, he would welcome me taking some work time to develop some issue expertise and maybe start doing some of my own research and writing on the issues. But he said that I should probably plan on focussing on just one of the areas that we do research on in order to develop enough expertise to make a real contribution. Our project has three main areas (and I'm genuinely fascinated by all three. And it doesn't help that I've always, been the type of person who, when asked "Are you interested in a or b?" has tended to answer "Yes." Hence my dilemma.

What should I be considering in choosing a research area that at a minimum I will sink hundreds of hours into, and at maximum could be a whole career?
Last edited by firechicago on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

merrak

Re: Choosing an Area of Research

Postby merrak » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:21 am UTC

I can't say anything about question #2 directly - but I would think that answering question #2 would help you answer the first question. Perhaps find a few journals in your area and see what is current. I don't know about anybody else, but I sort of "fell into" my research area because it was where I found an interesting problem.
`/\=======/\"-

Return to “School”