Bad GPA, finished course, but still want to research. How?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

mieulium

Bad GPA, finished course, but still want to research. How?

Postby mieulium » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

So. My third year GPA was low, I had fifties, and I am scheduled to get a supplementary exam soon (i'm guessing i failed my last module) to graduate. I am graduating from a Biomedical degree, with a concentration on biochemistry. I applied for a postgrad diploma for next year (a postgrad diploma which is catered to people who did not meet the grade for honours), and I am really skeptical about being able to get the place.

So my question is, what can I do in order to further my studies? My entire whole course has been research based, and thus I do hope to continue in that area.

This is what I have thought of: If I get the place, I stay. But if I don't get a place, would be advisable to take a year off to do GRE's and get research experience with a company? I have read from places that if I have prior experience (the current and only experience that I have right now is taking part in a PhD's project as part of my module) it should help balance my poor GPA. Also, what research experience is needed? Does that include internships, or must it be really a research topic based one?
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Bad GPA, finished course, but still want to research. Ho

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

I would strongly suggest taking a few years to work in he field to bolster your cv. Your chances of getting into a graduate program with poor grades and no research experience or work experience is strikingly lower than if you do something to distinguish yourself. In my program, only three of my ten classmates came straight from undergrad, and they all had substancial senior research projects completed.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

Another option is to apply for MS programs and use that time to increase your GPA before then applying for a PhD. Heck you should probably do this even post a year of work to show you've shaped up.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:44 am UTC

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but, to confirm, ms? Masters?
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:10 am UTC

mieulium wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys, but, to confirm, ms? Masters?

I came here just to make this incredibly insightful comment: Yes.

blackened45

Postby blackened45 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:39 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I would strongly suggest taking a few years to work in he field to bolster your cv. Your chances of getting into a graduate program with poor grades and no research experience or work experience is strikingly lower than if you do something to distinguish yourself. In my program, only three of my ten classmates came straight from undergrad, and they all had substancial senior research projects completed.

agreed. you really need to have field experience, you'll need that inside school, and it's a plus on your CV. it'll be a good point having experience.

also, since you have field experience, it'll be quite easy taking research since you already know things first hand.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:49 pm UTC

I spent three years working as a tech in a pretty prestigious lab, and when I got to graduate school was a bit surprised to discover that was actually the norm. Start getting your resume out to labs all over the place, ask your current professors if they know of any openings, do whatever you can to be a tech. It's quite common for techs to treat the position as a stepping stone; if you have poor grades and no experience doing research, I'd say your chances of getting into a grad program is effectively zero.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “School”