Calling my professor?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

z4lis

Calling my professor?

Postby z4lis » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

So I'm sitting three days away from the due date of graduate school applications, and one of my LOR writers has not turned in anything. I sent him a reminder email yesterday, but still have no response. I'm desperately trying to get someone willing and able for backup, but no luck with them, either. I was thinking about calling him, but he's out of the country so his office phone isn't going to be an option. However, on his official university homepage, he does have his cell phone listed. Is this an indication that he's comfortable with receiving business calls on his cell phone? I'm really not sure what to do.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

Newt

Re: Calling my professor?

Postby Newt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:58 am UTC

He may not get international service on his cell phone, but I'd try it anyway. Yes, the fact that his cell phone is posted in a public place should indicate that it is a business number too. Even if it weren't, you would probably be justified in calling if he isn't fulfilling his agreed-upon obligation.

Even if he submits his recommendation late, it might be fine; I've known people who had late letters that were accepted.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Calling my professor?

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:02 am UTC

The number is listed on the website, and given that this is an emergency, you can absolutely call him. I assume you gave him ample time to complete your LoR?

Personally, I think you should have dealt with this sooner. Like, maybe a month ago.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “School”