Second BS or Attempt to get into MS Program

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

RugbyEng

Second BS or Attempt to get into MS Program

Postby RugbyEng » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:31 am UTC

Basically, I got a BS in Kinesiology, decided PT wasn't for me and that going back to school was my best option. I enrolled at the community college and took 2 semesters of math, physics, and engineering classes with the idea of pursuing a BS in ME. I will be starting my first semester at a state school and have now found out I'm required to take 3 semesters of a foreign language and a couple other extraneous classes. It wouldn't be a big deal except they will extend my studies by another semester and I'm turning 24 in a month, obviously, I'd like to be done ASAP. My question is, should I continue down the BS path or attempt to get into the MS in ME or Applied Math after this semester? They would take the same amount of time to complete and I'd have the benefit of a MS degree. I already e-mailed the school to see if the MS plans are feasible, I'm just looking for some opinions/advice.

Right now, my plan is to see what the grad programs say. If they say I only need a couple courses and the GRE, I'll apply and take them this summer and hopefully be enrolled by the fall. Otherwise, I'll just stick to the BS route. This probably seems like I answered my own question but, I'd still like some more opinions.

lucrezaborgia

Re: Second BS or Attempt to get into MS Program

Postby lucrezaborgia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

Some schools offer intensive language courses over the summer that encompass all three semester requirements.

Are the other courses bullshit courses that you can fulfill using online classes?

RugbyEng

Postby RugbyEng » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:08 pm UTC

Maybe, one is a culture class and the other is an upper level science elective. You would think my first degree would cover the upper level class, but somehow it doesn't. As far as the intensive foreign language courses, I think the University offers a refresher course that crams two semesters into one. If I took that it may help a tiny bit, but you know how engineering is, every class must be completed in a rigid order and I can't have German I eating into my time. Honestly, I just don't want to have to take these classes, I'm ready to get a worthwhile degree and start working/move out of my parents house (living). I looked into transferring to where I got my first degree but, doing so would result in me completing my degree in the same time span, due to several of this semester's classes not transferring (engineering ethics and Stat for engineers). Also, I can't get into their ME program yet because I haven't taken Chem II, which I'm dreading, but planning to take this summer depending on what the graduate schools say.

I've been checking my e-mail relentlessly, hoping that one of them responds with something along the lines of "just take linear algebra (or fluids) and the GRE and you can get in."

I hadn't though about the online stuff but it might still be difficult to do because of the engineering course load.

lucrezaborgia

Postby lucrezaborgia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:39 pm UTC

Who are you basing this information off of? Have you had a college actually give you a transcript evaluation or are you basing this off of the requirements you see in the catalog?

RugbyEng

Postby RugbyEng » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:05 am UTC

Yea, I have the degree audit information. Because, it is a liberal arts school the general ed reqs are slightly different. Since they neglect my e-mails maybe I should try and schedule an appointment to make sure I have all the information correct.

I mapped out a BS in Applied Mathematics and found I could complete it after Spring 13 (math would definitely entertaining, difficult, and thought provoking). I'm wondering if this course load looks like too much:

Summer 12: Foreign Lang, Linear Alg
Fall 12: Analysis 1, Intro Comp Sci, Mathematical Modelling, PDEs, Foreign Language
Winter 12/13: Online culture class (some BS class I can crank out an A)
Spring 13: Analysis 2, Comp Methods for Engineers, 2 other Upper Math electives (maybe stochastic processes and something else), Foreign Lang
Summer 13: Upper Level Elective (maybe phys 3, or fluids, or econometrics) something that will be interesting and look good on the resume

That Spring 13 looks rough but probably doable, just no social life for a couple months.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:36 am UTC

RugbyEng wrote:Basically, I got a BS in Kinesiology, decided PT wasn't for me and that going back to school was my best option. I enrolled at the community college and took 2 semesters of math, physics, and engineering classes with the idea of pursuing a BS in ME. I will be starting my first semester at a state school and have now found out I'm required to take 3 semesters of a foreign language and a couple other extraneous classes. It wouldn't be a big deal except they will extend my studies by another semester and I'm turning 24 in a month, obviously, I'd like to be done ASAP. My question is, should I continue down the BS path or attempt to get into the MS in ME or Applied Math after this semester? They would take the same amount of time to complete and I'd have the benefit of a MS degree. I already e-mailed the school to see if the MS plans are feasible, I'm just looking for some opinions/advice.

Right now, my plan is to see what the grad programs say. If they say I only need a couple courses and the GRE, I'll apply and take them this summer and hopefully be enrolled by the fall. Otherwise, I'll just stick to the BS route. This probably seems like I answered my own question but, I'd still like some more opinions.
Doesn't it depend on exactly what you want to do afterwards? Do you have some kind of vague plan in mind? Maybe some potential employers who can advise you as to what educational qualifications you should be looking for?

RugbyEng

Postby RugbyEng » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:51 am UTC

^^That's a good point and I have thought about it. I really can't be sure, all I know is I want to do something "technical." I'm definitely more interested in the math side of Engineering. Examples would be, I'd rather use Matlab than CAD, I'd rather do CFD or integration and test than design, I hated materials and statics but have a feeling fluids and transfers will be more my speed. I feel like the two degrees have some overlap and I think I can always pursue an engineering masters part time after a BS in mathematics if I feel it would fit me better.

After looking at some job postings, it seems like I can get a very interesting job with a math degree as well as with ME. Both fields have their aspects that interest me and those that don't. So I guess I should pick the most efficient major.
I really don't want to tell anyone if I change my major and I don't want to get crap from my parents. I feel like I've made up my mind on what really interests me, now I need to decide on the best path to get me there. It seems like in the end, math will give me many career paths. Hopefully, this will be the right choice, thanks for tip BTW (thinking about what I really want to do in the end).

Return to “School”