Have a Gradate Assistant now what?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gametaku

Have a Gradate Assistant now what?

Postby gametaku » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:04 am UTC

Somehow I've managed to not only get into graduate school, but also get a graduate assistantship. Now part of what I'm required to do is tutoring, which seems easy enough. I also have class support and I'm curious if I should send the professors in charge of those classes an email, asking about what they specifically want or should I just speak to them before their class. neither has a schedule, and I will not be on campus till the day school starts, Monday.

KestrelLowing

Re: Have a Gradate Assistant now what?

Postby KestrelLowing » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:25 am UTC

gametaku wrote:Somehow I've managed to not only get into graduate school, but also get a graduate assistantship. Now part of what I'm required to do is tutoring, which seems easy enough. I also have class support and I'm curious if I should send the professors in charge of those classes an email, asking about what they specifically want or should I just speak to them before their class. neither has a schedule, and I will not be on campus till the day school starts, Monday.

First, make sure you spell it Graduate! :mrgreen:

But I'd certainly contact the profs ASAP. Like, go! Email!

gametaku

Postby gametaku » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:50 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:
gametaku wrote:Somehow I've managed to not only get into graduate school, but also get a graduate assistantship. Now part of what I'm required to do is tutoring, which seems easy enough. I also have class support and I'm curious if I should send the professors in charge of those classes an email, asking about what they specifically want or should I just speak to them before their class. neither has a schedule, and I will not be on campus till the day school starts, Monday.

First, make sure you spell it Graduate! :mrgreen:

But I'd certainly contact the profs ASAP. Like, go! Email!

Ok, thanks I wasn't sure if it was proper to email them or not.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:05 am UTC

Really, I find it pretty alarming that they've decided you should be tutoring and have not seen fit to tell you what they want you to be doing. Are you the only one with an assistantship or something?

gametaku

Postby gametaku » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:29 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Really, I find it pretty alarming that they've decided you should be tutoring and have not seen fit to tell you what they want you to be doing. Are you the only one with an assistantship or something?

No, there are other assistantships. As I said in my first post the tutoring itself seems fairly simple. During my hours that i have tutoring I'm required to be in a specfic room and hope that no one shows up so I can work on my own stuff help any students that show up.

The class support part is a bit more vague as from what I can find it could include answering questions the students have well in class, and labs which means my hours are done in class, or I could have to do grading which puts my hours outside of the class room. Or some mixture of both, and other work.

merrak

Postby merrak » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:11 am UTC

gametaku wrote:The class support part is a bit more vague as from what I can find it could include answering questions the students have well in class, and labs which means my hours are done in class, or I could have to do grading which puts my hours outside of the class room. Or some mixture of both, and other work.

This sounds like the experience I had when I was a TA. You don't get much direction until the very first day. Certainly send an email and gather as much info as possible - but I'd be ready to jump into just about anything. I still remember my first day. They gave me a pen and said "go teach this recitation class."
`/\=======/\"-

Return to “School”