It's all about the food

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

It's all about the food

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:12 am UTC

I am now the lead baker at Beloit College, in Beloit WI. So, all of you college attenders, what are your favorite desserts in the dining hall? How willing are you to try new or slightly odd stuff?
And if any of you are attending Beloit, feel free to stop by and ask for Becky the baker.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

screen317

Re: It's all about the food

Postby screen317 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:14 am UTC

At UCLA we had a well-known "brownie goop" which was essentially a half-cooked tray of brownie mix.

In general, people had their favorites of the recurring desserts (chocolate chip cookies are always popular), but many would try the various cakes and "exotic items." People are definitely willing to try new things (it's college, after all!), in my experience.

raike

Postby raike » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:23 am UTC

At Pitt, every so often in the central dining location ('Market'), there'd be various pies or cobblers (this was two years ago--I've since moved off-campus). Being a lover of pie, I'd gorge myself. Usually, if something looked unfamiliar but smelled good, I'd try it (the good smell was pretty important to me, not sure about others though), but there wasn't all that much variety to begin with...
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:36 am UTC

I don't think our dining halls have ever had cannoli but as I don't have a meal plan, I could have easily missed them.

Cannoli are really fantastic.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:22 am UTC

There was a rumor at Carnegie Mellon that every day a doughnut went unsold the cafeteria staff would add a different color of sprinkle to it to entice the freshmen and warn the upperclassmen.

engr

Postby engr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:45 pm UTC

Butterscotch scone and chocolate croissant.
I do not recall having them at Pitt, but at VT they have them at some locations, and I really love both.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. Gilbert K. Chesterton

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:04 pm UTC

Been out of school for a long time, but:

Crepes
Curried Apple Dessert Pizza
Strawberry Cheerio Crispy Treats (instead of Rice Crispies, use Strawberry Cheerios, and slightly less marshmellows)
Apple Pie (that doesn't taste like it was bought at a store)
Chocolate Mint Bars
Cheesecake

sam_i_am

Postby sam_i_am » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:03 pm UTC

I lived at a family member's house when I attended college, so I've never eaten at the dining halls, but I've always liked various cookies which my grandmother made with a base of nuts such as almonds or pecans

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:55 pm UTC

Also of note.

Please taste-test any "new to the menu" items before you put them out for students.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:23 pm UTC

probably have several people taste test the new menu item, as one person may like things that most do not, or something like that.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Pingouin7

Postby Pingouin7 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:00 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:There was a rumor at Carnegie Mellon that every day a doughnut went unsold the cafeteria staff would add a different color of sprinkle to it to entice the freshmen and warn the upperclassmen.

That's simply genius.
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:50 am UTC

Thanks all. It's been 16 hour days trying to keep up with the voracious mobs. I guess that the speed with which the desserts are eaten is a good sign.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:27 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Thanks all. It's been 16 hour days trying to keep up with the voracious mobs. I guess that the speed with which the desserts are eaten is a good sign.

Yes, it is. Where I go, the chocolate chip cookies are legendary, and during peak mealtimes, people will line up when they see new cookies being put out, and the tray will be empty within 5 minutes.

Damn those cookies are good...
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:30 pm UTC

All I know is things with pumpkin in them make me happy. Speaking of which, it's a rainy day and that tea room near campus has pumpkin bisque again. *salivates*

Also, if you have a good pumpkin bread recipe...

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

Not exactly on-topic, but my sister chose not to go to a school with the specific degree program she wanted because the food sucked and there wasn't enough vegetarian options there.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

screen317

Postby screen317 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:03 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Not exactly on-topic, but my sister chose not to go to a school with the specific degree program she wanted because the food sucked and there wasn't enough vegetarian options there.
Well somebody sure has their priorities in line.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:39 pm UTC

Degrees can be had from many places. Food is a thrice-daily, essential part of life. I see no problems here.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Return to “School”