Do you think what my school teacher said was too much?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

poochyena

Do you think what my school teacher said was too much?

Postby poochyena » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

I believe it is, but i just need people to give their opinion before i start something.

He is the (public)Highschool psychology teacher, and he just generally is a bad teacher, never teaches us or anything(which is sad because i was excited for that class), but anyways, atleast 1 or 2 times a week, he gets on one of his rants, mostly talks about how Obama is a Muslim and is taking over America and taking our guns and other Alex Jones type conspiracies. But i think what he said Friday was too much, here is what he said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prJuf3NT4_4

the first part is disrespectful, 2nd part is very much uncalled for.
i'm thinking of e-mailing the principal and superintendent.
i'd like to here your opinions~

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Do you think what my school teacher said was too much?

Postby Angua » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Hey, he said that you were welcome to tell the principle what he said. I say go for it.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

If politics comes up more than once a week in a psychology course, I don't think the teacher is very good. I think it would be good to email, or maybe have your parents discuss it with the principal.

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

None of that had any place in a high school psychology class. Definitely report them.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

so to make this short

the school does not reply to anonymous e-mails, i sent the video to friend, she spread the video and the video went school viral as in, everyone at the school, and even people that don't even go to the school anymore, knew about and watch the video yesterday, so today, everyone figured out it was me, i was called to the principal office, we talked, most about how i should have talked to him directly and not spread the video and ect. He said that the teacher was talked to and it won't happen again, and i have detention monday for recording during class.

Vangor

Postby Vangor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:43 am UTC

poochyena wrote:and i have detention monday for recording during class.

The teacher was disciplined with a talking to, and you were disciplined with a talking to and detention. Tell the principal you are not serving the detention because this is penalizing reporting of teacher behaviors. The diatribe of this teacher was deliberate, with the teacher acknowledging the possibility of being reported; he knew what he was saying should not have used class time in a public school. Considering this blatant disrespect for the education of his students and administration, I would not be surprised were retaliation to occur, and penalizing you would only further embolden the teacher. Would be arguing with my administration if one of my students had received a detention due to this.

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

The story has now been picked up by not only the local newspaper, but the HuffingtonPost, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/3 ... 92274.html

crazy

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

Hmm your school's football coach teaches psychology (and apparently driver's ed) too? That's kinda bizarre.

darkone238

Postby darkone238 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Wow, that's kinda nuts. The power of the internet :D

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Hmm your school's football coach teaches psychology (and apparently driver's ed) too? That's kinda bizarre.

It's pretty normal for coaches to teach, I think.

Vangor wrote:The teacher was disciplined with a talking to, and you were disciplined with a talking to and detention. Tell the principal you are not serving the detention because this is penalizing reporting of teacher behaviors.
If poochyena had actually reported it, then I'd agree, but it sounds like he handled it pretty poorly by NOT reporting it.
-Adam

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:56 am UTC

Adam H wrote:
Chen wrote:Hmm your school's football coach teaches psychology (and apparently driver's ed) too? That's kinda bizarre.

It's pretty normal for coaches to teach, I think.

Vangor wrote:The teacher was disciplined with a talking to, and you were disciplined with a talking to and detention. Tell the principal you are not serving the detention because this is penalizing reporting of teacher behaviors.
If poochyena had actually reported it, then I'd agree, but it sounds like he handled it pretty poorly by NOT reporting it.

he "teaches" psychology, as in, we get in there, do nothing besides maybe some questions and stuff everyonce and a while, but he has never got infront of the class and talked about psychology.

also, i did report him to the school and superintendent, but i had e-mailed them, and never got a reply after 3 days, so i allowed the audio to become popular.
and yes, i did handle it poorly.

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

At my high school, almost all of the history courses were taught by coaches, along with a psychology course and a math course. I think the only teacher hired mainly to teach and not to coach was the math teacher.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

poochyena wrote:The story has now been picked up by not only the local newspaper, but the HuffingtonPost, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/3 ... 92274.html

crazy

I totally clicked on this thinking, "Oh man, is this another incident like the one I just read about on Huffpo?"
Nope, just the same one. AAAnd you're internet famous. It lasts a few days!
I would argue against detention too.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

poochyena wrote:also, i did report him to the school and superintendent, but i had e-mailed them, and never got a reply after 3 days, so i allowed the audio to become popular.

I retract my previous statement. If you tried to show his boss and you were ignored (I guarantee he checks his work email every 3 days - he's an administrator so it's basically his job to respond to emails), then I think you did the right thing.

By giving you detention it really does send a strong message that students should not report teacher misconduct. In my opinion that's the most egregious part of the whole thing. If you didn't record his rant, then you couldn't possibly expect the principal to believe that you weren't exaggerating the severity of it. And the fact that you were prepared to record him indicates that he does this sort of thing a lot. Heck, you were totally vindicating for feeling like you had to send it to him anonymously! This whole thing should send up huge red flags for the school administration. How do they know kids aren't being seriously abused!?

Hope your dentention wasn't too bad. :)
-Adam

Yoshisummons

Postby Yoshisummons » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

I sincerely hope you got hi-fives in that detention. I am currently unable to watch the vod but it is understandable on the Principal's ruling about the slap on the wrist detention. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to teach thinking one of the students is recording everything to get payback for a bad test score or whatever. Then the principle would have a bunch of videos to sort through.

Funny, all the coaches at my school taught math.
eran_rathan wrote:Listen to the man with the cone on his head - these are Words of WisdomTM.

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:22 am UTC

huh, did i really forget to update? hmm, anyways (sorry)

Adam H wrote:
poochyena wrote:also, i did report him to the school and superintendent, but i had e-mailed them, and never got a reply after 3 days, so i allowed the audio to become popular.

If you didn't record his rant, then you couldn't possibly expect the principal to believe that you weren't exaggerating the severity of it.

exactly what i thought and why i recorded it.

So i ended up not getting detention since a few days after the audio got popular, i had to stay in the office from 3rd to beginning of 7th period. Why? because someone starting going around saying that i had said i was going to bring a gun to school and shoot everyone...... So i had to stay in the office all day while the principal and teachers sort that all out, which people spreading rumors about how me threatening people isn't new, last year i let a friend borrow the manga Death Note to school, and then people asked about the book, and spread rumors about how i said i had a death note and basically a hit list, the principal talked to me about it, but didn't do anything.

The teacher came back to school yesterday and now teacher geography.

people at school have been very quiet about it, kinda scared to say anything mostly.

oh, and most coaches at my school teach history, one teaches math and another teaches science

oh, and this is what happened to him if you didn't hear: http://timesdaily.com/stories/Coach-sus ... s&town_id=

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:17 am UTC

wow. i hope the people quoted in that article read it later and feel ashamed. talking about how this wouldn't have happened to this poor 'good christian man' if kids weren't allowed cell phones in class.
fuck them.

you know who did the right thing in this situation? You.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

movsx

Postby movsx » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

"I don’t agree with kids getting to take cellphones in class,” Hamm said. “This should never have happened."

I like how he's shifting the blame onto you, as opposed to the teacher.

If an authority figure is misbehaving, one should have the right to record it for proof. If that means taking a cell phone to class, the who cares? Take the cell phone to class.

It's more of a "your psychology/driver's ed teacher coaches" type of deal, I'd think.

Most high school coaches are professional educators and coach for whatever reason. Maybe they like the game, maybe they like seeing the cheerleaders dance around or maybe they want to be the next Penn state coach.

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:43 am UTC

movsx wrote:

It's more of a "your psychology/driver's ed teacher coaches" type of deal, I'd think.

Most high school coaches are professional educators and coach for whatever reason. Maybe they like the game, maybe they like seeing the cheerleaders dance around or maybe they want to be the next Penn state coach.

at my school its more the opposite, most of the coaches only teach because they have to, so you can imagine how great of an education we get in their classes.

Also, i recorded using a laptop(which are ok at my school), so i wasn't even using a cellphone :P

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

movsx wrote:"I don’t agree with kids getting to take cellphones in class,” Hamm said. “This should never have happened."

I like how he's shifting the blame onto you, as opposed to the teacher.

If an authority figure is misbehaving, one should have the right to record it for proof. If that means taking a cell phone to class, the who cares? Take the cell phone to class.
The root of the problem is that the administration doesn't believe the coach did anything wrong. If the rule-makers and the rule-enforcers are out of alignment with each other, then the rule-enforcer's solution is to just ignore rule-breakers. Recordings make it impossible to ignore rule-breakers, therefore recordings are banned.

The administrators should all be fired.
-Adam

kha-khees

Postby kha-khees » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

So essentially Mr. Hamm believes we don't need to know exactly what goes on in classrooms from an unbiased source; We should just go with whatever the teacher says, because you know someone like that wouldn't give an ounce to whatever a kid would say.

chocopancake

Postby chocopancake » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:08 am UTC

I agree, they seem to want to make your behavior out to be the problem and not the teacher's behavior, which is just...ugh. What kind of training does this teacher have if they can move him from a psychology class to a geography class? Is that normal to be able to switch departments like that?

screen317

Postby screen317 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

Keep recording.

Return to “School”