MS Paint Adventures thread

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Re: MS Paint Adventures thread

Postby Jorpho » Fri May 08, 2015 1:53 pm UTC

How exactly did Davesprite even die? Is that something that happened offscreen in an alternate timeline? (Or did it happen onscreen in a timeline that is now still not alternate? Does death have even the slightest meaning for anyone anymore?)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:30 am UTC

Golly. Suddenly this comic has gotten kind of deep. I wonder if Hussie really planned it out this way at the beginning? I feel like he's actually trying to work through personal problems of his own.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:41 pm UTC

Welp, guess it's all over now. I haven't watched the last vid yet, but I'm rather surprised to note that it has built up to something only nine minutes long.

I am a bit surprised that it hasn't even managed to penetrate the trending topics on my Facebook page. Clicking around reveals that the world seems to have largely moved on in the face of the lack of updates. The mighty Kickstarter has gotten nasty; accusations are flying about that the studio hired to do the job –The Odd Gentlemen – went and spent a large proportion of the funds developing the new King's Quest game. I don't feel bad about not chipping in on that one.

It's kind of sad to see something in which so many people had invested so much time and attention go out with such a whimper. Maybe it's just me, but it feels like the end of an era – as though there will never again be anything quite like this. I for one won't be suggesting anyone actually try to read the whole thing through form the beginning.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:16 pm UTC

Wait, what? It's finished? Crap, now I really have to go look for a summary because no way in the seven hells am I rereading 600k words to get up to speed to what is actually happening. I mean I lost interest some time ago, but now that an ending is there (or just in sight?), the completionist in me is shaking of layers of dust and demands that I at least check out how this ball of spaghetti was resolved. I pretty much expect a Gordion Knot kind of solution.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:22 am UTC

The penultimate act or intermission or whatever is of a somewhat higher standard than the forgoing, as I mentioned above. But I'm afraid the ending as it stands, while an animation of rather decent quality, leaves too many unanswered questions. Hopefully it won't be a full year before the epilogue turns up.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu May 12, 2016 4:29 am UTC

I think part of my problem was the long awkward teenage stretch of enforced bleh that was a ton of act 6. Obviously intentional, but it did its job a little too well, so it wasn't a particularly fun read. (I had blocked the 'trickster mode' incident out of my mind completely. Small mercies.) Now that I'm past it and things are happening again, I'm finding it a lot more re-readable.

...Still not caught up to where I was, though. I never went back after the gigapause. It's kind of weird, rereading, because I was pretty into it at the time; and because it is particularly good at having characters who actually change to some degree. Which was frustrating at the time, when your preconceived notions of the characters were fucked with, but a little easier going back to as a more finished work. Of course, it's also pretty fucking overwhelming reading in one chunk ("jesus christ, another flash game?? i'll neeeever fiiiinish"). Not sure what approach is better, really. Reading it in smaller chunks would probably be good, if you're the type who can avoid binge-reading (I'm not so great at that). A feed doling out a few pages at a time would probably be good for that; you'd avoid the update hiccups of the initial posting while still getting more manageable chunks. Ah well.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:11 pm UTC

I can hardly believe it. Act I (of 4?) of Hiveswap was released a month ago.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/29/16222 ... nture-game
http://store.steampowered.com/app/62394 ... WAP_Act_1/

Has anyone here actually played it yet?

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”