BKV's Saga controversy

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Christo

BKV's Saga controversy

Postby Christo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:48 am UTC

This either hilarious, horrible, or both.

Apparently Apple is refusing to sell the twelfth issue of Brian K. Vaughn's comic series Saga, because there are two tiny images of gay sex. Keep in mind, this series has shown plenty of sex between bizarre aliens with TV heads. It's shown naked spider-women being shot to a bloody pulp. If memory serves, the first line is delivered by an alien in labor who yells to her hubbie: "Am I shitting? I feel like I'm shitting."

And yet, the idea of two dudes getting it on is beneath them? One of the funny things to me is that one of the dudes could be a lady with a dudish hair cut, and if that argument was made, apple might be OK with it.

For the curious, here's a link to the image in question. Be warned, you may have to study the image for a second or two to even find the part dubbed "indecent." http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/9649234i16005/prv16005_pg2_1365538772.jpg

And just for context's sake, here's an image two pages later that they're not at all bothered by: http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/9649234i16005/prv16005_pg5_1365538772.jpg

That's right. You're allowed to explode violently, but not sexually.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

tomandlu

Re: BKV's Saga controversy

Postby tomandlu » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:18 am UTC

As an update to this, Apple had nothing to do with the decision, now reversed (and BTW read Sage - it's wonderful). Apparently, Comixology decided that the panels would be rejected by Apple and made the decision unilaterally.
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”