The General Non-Internet Comic Thread

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Zarq

The General Non-Internet Comic Thread

Postby Zarq » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

A thread for general discussion of comics and graphic novels. I don't know how much interest there is for this. I know a lot of people used to read comics, but I don't know how many still read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a lot of interesting sci-fi comics starting in the next couple of months.

There's Collider (started last week)

Spoiler:
It started small: temporary gravity failures, time reversal loops, entropy reversals. With much fanfare a new government agency was formed with a mandate “to prevent and protect.” Its official title: The Federal Bureau of Physics. Humans, if nothing else, adapt to the changing parameters of their existence. What was extraordinary soon became ordinary, a part of people’s daily lives. They move on and do what people have always done: survive. But even that new status quo is now under threat. Things are getting worse, and it falls to Special Agent Adam Hardy and his FBP team to figure out what’s going on, before it’s too late…

Trillium (starts this week)

Spoiler:
It’s the year 3797, and botanist Nika Temsmith is researching a strange species on a remote science station near the outermost rim of colonized space. It’s the year 1921, and renowned English explorer William Pike leads an expedition into the dense jungles of Peru in search of the fabled “Lost Temple of the Incas,” an elusive sanctuary said to have strange healing properties. Two disparate souls separated by thousands of years and hundreds of millions of miles. Yet they will fall in love and, as a result, bring about the end of the universe. Even though reality is unraveling all around them, nothing can pull them apart. This isn’t just a love story; It’s the LAST love story ever told.

Trillium is an 8-issue series that combines rich historical adventure and mind-bending science fiction into a sprawling, unconventional love story by Jeff Lemire (SWEET TOOTH, CONSTANTINE, ANIMAL MAN).

God Is Dead

Spoiler:
Like a thunderbolt from heaven, the epic launch issue of GOD IS DEAD is here! East of West and Fantastic Four author JONATHAN HICKMAN launches a fierce new series that stomps where others fear to tread. Mankind has argued over the existence of gods since the dawn of time. In modern eras it’s been fashionable to mock religious believers with taunts of scientific testimony and fact. But when the gods of old begin to reappear on earth and claim the domain of man for their own, the world is thrown into a state of utter anarchy. Now Horus walks the streets of Egypt, Zeus has taken over the Sistine Chapel, and Odin is coordinating the dissection of the earth among the returned deities. Mankind held sway over the world for thousands of years and their hubris over that time has made them powerful but when faced with the divine, can mortal weapons put an end to the second coming of the gods?

Black Science

Spoiler:
Former member of the anarchistic order of scientists, Grant McKay has finally done the impossible; he has deciphered Black Science and punched through the barriers of reality. But what lay beyond the veil was not epiphany but chaos. Now Grant and his team are lost, living ghosts shipwrecked on an infinite ocean of alien worlds, barreling through the dark realms, long forgotten, ancient and unimaginable. The only way is forward. The only question is how far are they willing to go to get home again?

Join writer RICK REMENDER with superstar art team of MATTEO SCALERA and DEAN WHITE, for this face-melting science fiction epic, the spiritual sequel to FEAR AGENT.

and of course the new Sandman series.

I don't know whether to love or hate this. It certainly won't do my wallet any good.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Joeldi

Re: The General Non-Internet Comic Thread

Postby Joeldi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:57 am UTC

Well, I discovered Saga. Collider and Trillium sound fantastic. But I just cant deal with consuming comics an issue at a time. Rather read the whole thing as close to all at once as possible.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

Yay, a general print comic thread!

Wait what, what are those comics I have never heard of them. Oh well.

Meanwhile in Euro/Franco-Belgian front:

The new Blacksad ( for those who have not heard about this, behind the wikilink a rather adequate article) album (Blacksad: Amarillo) got out fairly recently. Read the translation (to my natural language) lately: Guardino's art continues being most awesome, and Canales' writing has somewhat improved from the previous one (though still not as good as in the first ones). Recommend'd wholeheartedly.

A new Asterix (this one doesn't need introduction I hope) was published internationally with great fuss: Asterix et les Pictes. Uderzo has finally given up ruining his characters after the terrible WTF horribleness that was Le ciel lui tombe sur la tête (Asterix and the Falling Sky), and this questionable duty has been transferred to next generation. Actually, to be frank, Ferri's story isn't that terrible, just incredibly mediocre, and Didier Conrad can clone Uderzo's style incredibly well (which is a shame, Conrad's quite good I think). Do not recommend unless you're one those 'gotta get 'em all' collector style fans.

The film adaptation of Quai d'Orsay by Blain & Lanzac was released. Apparently wasn't that great a success, which is a shame too: the comic (parts 1 & 2) is a masterpiece of political satire (dealing with French international politics and especially a certain minister of foreign affairs, set during the years preceding the U.S. invasion of Iraq.)

I'm told Manu Larcenet's Blast part 4 will be published in 2014 by Dargaud. High expectations for this one, as it will be the final episode and finish the series (which I have trouble classifying. A long story very shortly: a seriously overweight man is being questioned by police, concerning a death of a woman, and recounts (unreliably) his weird escapades. Thus far, the comic's been what one'd call a piece of great literature.)

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:28 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:Well, I discovered Saga.

Would you (or anyone) be able to shed some light on how good it is? I have had someone tell me that I should read it, but I already know about the Cold War, and I'm vaguely worried that this will just be "Cold War in spaaaaaaaace" from how it's been described.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:
Joeldi wrote:Well, I discovered Saga.

Would you (or anyone) be able to shed some light on how good it is? I have had someone tell me that I should read it, but I already know about the Cold War, and I'm vaguely worried that this will just be "Cold War in spaaaaaaaace" from how it's been described.

It is nothing like the Cold War. For starters: there's fights between the 2 parties. And there's no Mutually Assured Destruction either. Plus, it doesn't focus on the war at all, it focusses on the lives of 2 deserters.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:29 am UTC

All true - I've read the first issue now, and I'm starting on the second one soon. The person who put me on to it basically framed it as being about how the planet and the moon export their war because they'd spin out of orbit if they blew each other up - it's really actually not about that at all, that's just the background.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”