Manga Thread of Pain

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Thenzon

Re: Manga

Postby Thenzon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:49 am UTC

Spoiler:
Danzo = Madara - Agreed. Makes TOO much sense.

As for Naruto and Sauce-gay, they're gonna have a giant battle, with Sakura possibly returning to her previous horrible role as Orihim- I mean sideline word support. I really hope that doesn't happen, cause Sakura is better the further away from Sasuke she is. :/

Tatsubei Yagyu

Postby Tatsubei Yagyu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:47 am UTC

I'm actually pretty happy with this current discussion of Naruto, along with the opinions and whatnot. Pretty cool ideas.

Spoiler tagging just to be safe <3

Spoiler:
One thing I must bring up, is that I completely and utterly hate Danzou being Hokage at this part. Not in a "oh no, this is bad!" kinda of way, but in a "Jesus Christ what is this bullshit I don't even" kind.

I'm pretty sure it's due to the ridiculousness of how he got the title:

Weird Guy: "YEAH SO WE NEED A NEW HOKAGE, TSUNADE'S OUT OH BOY THIS IS BAD
Shikadad: "Well Kakashi's a pretty cool dude, everyone likes him and he's coo-
Danzou: "KAKASHI'S STUPID THE THIRD WAS STUPID PICK ME I'M PRETTY COOL"
Weird Guy: "Then it's settled!"

Seriously? Politics in Konoha, eh? :|

NOW ON THE TOPIC OF ONE PIECE

Bright Shadows wrote:
Spoiler:
One Piece is finally wrapping up this bloody ID arc. Oda said it would take a year iirc; if he's ahead of schedule that's fine with me.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ONE PIECE HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT GOAL FOR THE PAST ARC AAAAAAAAA [/exaggeration of rage, but still serious, it's been amazing, man]

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:06 am UTC

That weird guy was probably some bureaucrat from the capital of the Fire Country who was depicted as "not giving a shit about who is Hokage". It is noted later that the nominated Hokage must be also endorsed by Konoha's jonins.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

I'm reading the final volume of Fruits Basket, sad to see it end but I've loved it all the way through. Can't wait to read the final chapter.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:59 am UTC

Ok, Ok. New discussion.

Fairy Tail.

GO!

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:07 am UTC

Mangas that I find truly amazing:

Berserk
Ares
Itsumo Misora
Alive - The Final Evolution
Liar Game
Kiseijuu/Parasyte
Historie
Uzumaki
The Hour of the Mice
BioMeat - Nectar

Manga that are worth reading:

Claymore
Zettai Karen Children
The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
Mirai Nikki
Monster
Hikaru no Go
Death Note
Bokke-san

... and that isn't nearly a full list of all the mangas I'm currently following. I'm surprised that very few of these were mentioned by anyone else. Oh yeah, there's one more important category!

Manga you should never ever read (trust me):

Abara
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Narutaru
Bokurano
Eden
Shoujo/Ecchi manga

Edit: Oh, we're talking about Fairy Tale? I think it's an ok manga, but there's no "goal" - the author just thinks of more and more throwaway villains to go along with people's tragic back stories.

Edit 2: Hey, anyone here ever read either Buraiden Gai or Bakune Young?
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:29 am UTC

You dismiss an entire genre in shoujo - eh?

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:21 am UTC

There is nothing wrong at all with NGE thankyou very much.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:There is nothing wrong at all with NGE thankyou very much.

This too. The manga may move at the speed of a glacier with new chapters/volumes but it's an interesting alternative take on the story.

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:25 am UTC

The NGE manga is great!

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

Thenzon wrote:As for Naruto and Sauce-gay, they're gonna have a giant battle, with Sakura possibly returning to her previous horrible role as Orihim- I mean sideline word support. I really hope that doesn't happen, cause Sakura is better the further away from Sasuke she is. :/

I've always believed that Naruto isn't going to kill Sasuke. I think that Sasuke will stop Madara from killing him at the last second after a huge battle then the two will double team him. Although that could just be my inner fanboy speaking......

Out of curiosity does anyone know if this site is legitimate?
I found it by clicking a link on TvTropes and I'm curious if it's being watched by any ISPs, gives you a virus, ect.....
I know it looks fairly good, but I'm very cautios with stuff like this as I know someone who got a "warning" after downloading some stuff off TPB.
I'm looking for a decent online manga site as they're a bit hard to get over here and I've relied on someone (who lived in Taiwan for a few years and collected them while over there) to lend me them. Unfortunately i'd really like to read a few mangas that they don't have and I can't get them for a reasonable price over here.
Signatures are for chumps.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

I've used onemanga once or twice to look at titles which aren't licensed, it's pretty good and I've never had any problems.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

Thanks, if anyone else uses it i'd appreciate the info as well.
Also, I know it's already been metioned but Death Note is a fantastic manga. It's got a great plot and the characters are, for the most part, excellently written. I may not have read many manga but it is definately my favourite by far.
Last edited by Box Boy on Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Istrom

Postby Istrom » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:08 am UTC

I pretty much use onemanga for all the manga I read, which includes Naruto every week. I imagine if anything were to happen to me it would've by now.

Bleach Exile is pretty good too.

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:09 am UTC

Death Note IS great. Up until
Spoiler:
L dies.

After that a lot of its charm and Psycho-analysis stuff leaves it.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

This Colour = spoilers.

Spoiler:
Current manga's read;
Bleach - I love the start, it's pretty great up until around the time they introduce the idea of Ban Kais. After that though there is WAY too many ass pulls in it and too many cases of the characters being healed after every battle, and the way Rukia reacts when she is rescued by Ichigo annoys the Hell out of me. also, a lot of the comedy and charm that the earlier series had is lost, and the plot seems to introduce new concepts randomly (The aforementioned Ban Kais, Ichigo's dad being a shinigami and Vizard to name a few (although I like the Vizard))
It seems to be getting better though, it's still got a bit to go to regain it's origional greatness but I'm liking it more each chapter.

Deathnote - As a few more people have said, it was better before L died and Mello & Near appeared. To me, it was still good, but not as good as before. Besides that I've got no other complaints.

Love Hina - Firstly, I don't find manga characters attractive so I didn't read it for the fanservice ( >.>).
Secondly, I. LOVE. THIS. MANGA.
I bloody thought that it was hilarious at times, it kept my rapt attention, the question of who Keitarou's "promise girl" was kept me guessing and I genuinely was touched at parts.
Now for the bad part, as soon as keitarou's incestuos sister was introduced, the quality just went out the window. I hate ass pulls, and in the last few chapters they exploded in number like crazy. Also, the ending was unsatisfactory as I want to know what happened to the new girl and I felt that it should not have skipped three years.
I like to pretend it ended after Naru and Keitarou got together and into toudai.

Manga's I'm reading/going to read;

Naruto - not much to say yet, I'm only starting shipuden as I know what happens in the begining.

Full Metal Alchemist - Haven't started yet.

Claymore - Haven't started yet.

One Piece - I gave up, I just don't like it.

So, anyone know any other good mangas similar to these ones? i'm looking for some new ones to look at as well (completed or continuing, I don't care)

EDIT: Gah, spelling!!!
Last edited by Box Boy on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:52 pm UTC

Well if you liked Love Hina, try Negima by the same writer.

Also try Eyeshield 21 if you fancy another shonen fix. And for the love of god start the FMA manga!

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

Thanks.
I've been meaning to start FMA for a while, I'm reading it after Naruto.
Also, wow, my spelling is rather poor in that other post. Sorry >.<

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:57 am UTC

Box Boy wrote:This Colour = spoilers.

Spoiler:
Current manga's read;
Bleach - I love the start, it's pretty great up until around the time they introduce the idea Ban Kais. After that though there is WAY too many ass pulls in it and too many cases of the characters being healed after every battle, and the way Rukia reacts when she is rescued by Rchigo annoys the Hell out of me. also, a lot of the comedy and charm that the earlier series had is lost, and the plot seems to introduce new concepts randomly (The aforementioned Ban Kais, Ichigo's dad being a shinigami and Vizard to name a few (although I like the Vizard))
It seems to be getting better though, it's still got a bit to go to regain it's origional greatness but I'm liking it more each chapter.

Deathnote - as a few more people have said, it was better before L died and Mello & Near appeared. To me, it was still good, but not as good as before. besides that I've got no other complaints.

Love Hina - Firstly, I don't find manga characters atractive so I didn't read it for the fanservice ( >.>).
Secondly, I. LOVE. THIS. MANGA.
I bloody thought that it was hilarious at times, it kept my rapt attention, the question of who Keitarou's "promise girl" was kept me guessing and I genuinely was touched at parts.
Now for the bad part, as soon as keitarou's incestuos sister was introduced, the quality just went out the window. I hate ass pulls, and in the last few chapters they exploded in number like crazy. Also, the ending was unsatisfactory as I want to know what happened to the new girl and I felt that it should not have skipped three years.
I like to pretend it ended after Naru and Keitarou got together and into toudai.

Manga's I'm reading/going to read;

Naruto - not much to say yet, I'm only starting shipuden as I know what happens in the begining.

Full Metal Alchemist - Haven't started yet.

Claymore - Haven't started yet.

One Piece - I gave up, I just don't like it.

So, anyone know any other good mangas similar to these ones? i'm looking for some new ones to look at as well (completed or continuing, i don't care)

Negima is fantastic, best manga out there, if you liked Love Hina, and if you like Bleach, you will ADORE Negima.
FMA is awesome too.
Naruto becomes gradually worse as it goes along. IMO only good arcs are the first 2.
One Piece I like, but it does take a little while to get good. If you like it still at the end of the Arlong arc, keep reading. You wont be disappointed.
And as for Bleach, its so much better from the start til the end of SS arc than it is from the start of the Arrancar arc to the current chapter. If you hate Ass-pulls you are going to LOATHE Bleach when you get up to date. Just as a warning.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:07 pm UTC

Thenzon wrote:Naruto becomes gradually worse as it goes along. IMO only good arcs are the first 2.

Yeah, I might stop reading it. It's not that the quality is gone, it's that I can't imagine a single coherent idea as to why Naruto still considers Sasuke a friend and doesn't just give up already.
Thenzon wrote:One Piece I like, but it does take a little while to get good. If you like it still at the end of the Arlong arc, keep reading. You wont be disappointed.
I got a to that bit, but gave up half way through as I had less time to read manga and I needed to read only the ones I liked a lot. i might replace Naruto with it though.
Thenzon wrote:And as for Bleach, its so much better from the start til the end of SS arc than it is from the start of the Arrancar arc to the current chapter. If you hate Ass-pulls you are going to LOATHE Bleach when you get up to date. Just as a warning.
I'm actually up to date at the moment and it's getting a bit better, I'll admit the way Ichigo transformed into a monster through me off, but since there is still a possible explanation besides the writers wanting to make him stronger I've let it go. Meh, it's fairly good either way.
Thenzon wrote:Negima is fantastic, best manga out there, if you liked Love Hina, and if you like Bleach, you will ADORE Negima.
Hmm, it's got a lot of good things said about it so far, I'll give it a try. I'm going to go read the first chapter now.
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:Hmm, it's got a lot of good things said about it so far, I'll give it a try. I'm going to go read the first chapter now.

If you like it by the time they go to Kyoto, you will love the rest even more, cos Kyoto is when It begins to get shounen elements added to it.
I think... havent read the start in a while.

harpyblues

Postby harpyblues » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:02 am UTC

No love for Togashi's stuff? *le sigh* Fine, y'all can miss out on Yu Yu Hakusho and HxH, but that's a shame. Now if the bastard would only get off hiatus for once, then I'd be happy.

BTW, onemanga is way, way safer than just about any large manga reading site out there. It's a lot cleaner in terms of viruses than, say, mangafox (which is kind of like 4chan in terms of reading sites). Mangafox doesn't bother to have ad filters or anything to stop viruses. Plus, early manga is good.
michaelandjimi wrote:But these are zombies of cuteness!

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:48 am UTC

Manga you should never ever read (trust me):

Abara
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Narutaru
Bokurano
Eden
Shoujo/Ecchi manga

You picked like the three most depressing manga out there NGE, Narutaru and Bokurano, so I'm guessing you don't like sad stories.

Favorites (In order of awesomeness)
One Piece - Oh god one Piece, I just love it. I'd say its by far the best of all the mainstream ones.
Berserk - It just moves along way to damn slooooooooooow
Negima
Detective Conan - If you don't like the status quo a lot, then you probably don't want to read this. about 707 chapters, and hardly any movement on the main plot, but its very good, and updates weeklyish.
FMA
Battle Royal - like lord of the flies on crack. And blood.
Gantz
Fairy Tail
HxH - Would be higher up, but its chapters come so infrequently... Sigh.

Awesome non-manga
Haruhi (The light novels)
Lucky Star (The Anime)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan (THIS IS THE ANIME THAT WILL PEIRCE THE HEAVENS!)
Flying_CookieTM

Snowflake

Postby Snowflake » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Flying_Cookie wrote:Detective Conan - If you don't like the status quo a lot, then you probably don't want to read this. about 707 chapters, and hardly any movement on the main plot, but its very good, and updates weeklyish.

I'd imagine alot of people from xkcd would enjoy Conan. Besides the author coming up with a new way to kill a person every chapter, it's really intelligent.

Oh, Movie 13's getting released sometime this month. I can't wait!
Death is permission to open freely as love.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Snowflake wrote:
Flying_Cookie wrote:Detective Conan - If you don't like the status quo a lot, then you probably don't want to read this. about 707 chapters, and hardly any movement on the main plot, but its very good, and updates weeklyish.

I'd imagine alot of people from xkcd would enjoy Conan. Besides the author coming up with a new way to kill a person every chapter, it's really intelligent.

A few plot issues that bother me are that (1) all the murderers are ever so imaginative in their killing methods than statistically likely, (2) many of the victims leave clever clues when they're about to die from blood loss, (3) nobody ever found out that every time Kogoro is sleeping, Conan's somewhere close by with his back facing everyone. :-P Other than that, it's a nice brain-teaser type series.

Lyra Ngalia wrote:The good thing with Death Note is that it's complete. Fullmetal Alchemist, on the other hand... I seriously get excited at the beginning of every month thinking "yay, new chapter coming soon!"

Oh yes, because I stayed up two whole nights reading Death Note... or was it three?

And the Full Metal Alchemist cliffhanger every month drives me crazy.

Any CLAMP fans? Haven't seen it mentioned. I liked xxxHolic and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. Unfortunately TRC got rather confusing and sappy near in the end, but at least 2/3 of it is quite nicely done.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

I've never read any Clamp, but I suspect that if I ever did Tsubasa would be my most likely port of call.

Got new Ouran High School Host Club to read when I have time :)

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

Ouran High School Host Club is such a pimpin' series :-P

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

modularblues wrote:Ouran High School Host Club is such a pimpin' series :-P

From what I have heard of it that sums it up pretty well.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:10 am UTC

Ouran's ok--I get tired of all the omake and nonsense plots though---find them dull.
Rice Puddin.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:47 am UTC

modularblues wrote:Any CLAMP fans? Haven't seen it mentioned. I liked xxxHolic and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. Unfortunately TRC got rather confusing and sappy near in the end, but at least 2/3 of it is quite nicely done.

I love CLAMP's work. I have almost everything they released in the US (some of it is more difficult to get than others). Of their current work, I really like xxxHolic but TRC never really did it for me the way their other work did. I think I liked the CCS characters the way that they were that the TRC versions never had a chance for me to like them. Once TRC became borderline incomprehensible, I gave up on it, something I have been glad for since it crossed that border. I hope that TRC has a great ending, so I can once again be motivated to read it.*

* I'm really sad that I need to be motivated to get through something by CLAMP. Usually it requires a great deal of motivation for me to put down something by CLAMP, such as not eating all day or needing to go to work.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Oh me yarm, has no one mentioned Kindaichi - Shounen no Jikenbo? (金田一―少年の事件簿)
If you like Conan, its a must read!/see!
Its available in manga, anime and live-action (2 seasons), with a special episode (that is some sort of equivalent to a movie)
I spent my whole childhood chasing that series.
Unfortunately, you cant get them on the internet via ftp or internet, it has been totally controlled by copyright laws, but you might be able to get them on torrent.

Another one that I was crazy for in my childhood was Kare Kano ~his and her circumstances~
I absolutely recommend the anime though, the manga didn't manage to bring out the feelings as well as the anime did.

Of course I did read other manga/watch other anime, but most of them have already been mentioned, so I won't repeat it.

Nowadays I go onto mangafox, and then search for new completed titles under options : romance no shoujo ai no shounen ai no yaoi no yuri and mystery no shoujo ai no shounen ai no yaoi no yuri

I sometimes take note of shounen, but only if the art and the skill in regard is interesting
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

mieulium wrote:Oh me yarm, has no one mentioned Kindaichi - Shounen no Jikenbo? (金田一―少年の事件簿)
If you like Conan, its a must read!/see!
Its available in manga, anime and live-action (2 seasons), with a special episode (that is some sort of equivalent to a movie)
I spent my whole childhood chasing that series.
Unfortunately, you cant get them on the internet via ftp or internet, it has been totally controlled by copyright laws, but you might be able to get them on torrent.

Another one that I was crazy for in my childhood was Kare Kano ~his and her circumstances~
I absolutely recommend the anime though, the manga didn't manage to bring out the feelings as well as the anime did.

Oh yes, I remember coming across Kindaichi as a 6-year-old and becoming morbidly fascinated by the blood and gore and the convoluted detective work that was beyond my comprehension then.

I watched the Kare Kano anime :-) It is very adorable, though it kind of ran out of steam toward the end when they lost part of their creative staff :-P

Anyone read/seen one or more of these (mostly seinen) series and enjoyed the experience?

The Drops of God / Kami no Shizuku / Les Gouttes de Dieu by Tadashi Agi (story) and Shū Okimoto (art)
Bartender by Araki Joh (story) and Kenji Nagatomo (art)
Master Keaton by Hokusei Katushika (story) and Naoki Urasawa (art)
Ikigami by Motoro Mase

Medical / Psychological

Iryū - Team Medical Dragon by Tarō Nogizaka (story & art), Akira Nagai (original creator), and Mie Yoshinuma (medical supervisor)
"Psycho Doctor" (or rather... psychiatrist...) Kai Kyosuke by Tadashi Agi (story) and Shū Okimoto (art)
Liar Game by Shinobu Kaitani

Sci-fi

Serial Experiments Lain by Ryutaro Nakamura (director)
Pluto by Naoki Urasawa, partly based on Osamu Tezuka's Tetsuwan Atom

Horror

Franken Fran by Katsuhisa Kigitsu
Ludwig Kakumei by Kaori Yuki

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:25 pm UTC

So just in case anyone here has bad enough taste to continue reading Bleach (like me)...

Spoiler:
Oh my god Aizen still hasn't fucking killed any of the good guys, grow some balls Kubo.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:58 am UTC

Robstickle wrote:So just in case anyone here has bad enough taste to continue reading Bleach (like me)...

Spoiler:
Oh my god Aizen still hasn't fucking killed any of the good guys, grow some balls Kubo.

No one has really died died in Bleach. What do you expect?
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:58 am UTC

mieulium wrote:
Robstickle wrote:So just in case anyone here has bad enough taste to continue reading Bleach (like me)...

Spoiler:

No one has really died died in Bleach. What do you expect?
How does death in Bleach even... work?

Aren't they all ghosts already?
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

notzeb wrote:How does death in Bleach even... work?
Aren't they all ghosts already?
They're either reincarnated or gone forever, depending on the method of death.
And yes, if any of the humans were hit with a strong enough attack they'd have their bodies AND souls destroyed, killing them for good.
Also, I guess we all know why Wonderweiss appears to be disabled now. Genetic experimentation.
On a Hollow.

*Facepalm*

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

Bakuman. Awesome. Not better than Death Note but still awesome.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

Amie wrote:Bakuman. Awesome. Not better than Death Note but still awesome.

This.

I have a hard time finding new Manga I enjoy because some of it is just flat out weird. Like off the wall, "I can't stand this", weird. But Bakuman, I stumbled across purely by chance, and only after I had read all (43 at the time) of the chapters, did I learn that it was written by the authors of Death Note. I always look forward to it.

Also tracking Naruto, One Piece, Bleach. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the Kenshin manga in a legible format. When I first read it, it was before it was released in the US, so the scanslations were terribad. Some other ones are interesting like Bastard!. If you've ever seen the anime you know they ran out of money after just 6 episodes, which means it ended on a horrible cliffhanger and will probably never be finished. The manga, however, is fairly long and full of all sorts of crazy.

Even though this thread is old, I saw Mighty Jalepeno posted a Fist of the North Star picture. Hulu.com has all 153 episodes of that up, subtitled no less, and I've been watching it sporadically. I should probably check out the manga for it though, I bet it's really good.

Lastly, the Dragon Ball manga was a fun read also. Having been a moderate fan of the original anime, but disappointed at how much filler and editing they injected into it, I sought out the manga and enjoyed it quite a bit. What's really fun too is the re-release of the anime under Dragon Ball Kai, which is cut down to 100 episodes from the nearly 300 it was before, and it follows the manga much more closely, picking up at the beginning of DBZ.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

I have read a lot of the series mentioned here already, such as Ruronori Kenshin, One Piece, Bleach, and Katekyo Hitman Reborn. I enjoy these series quite a bit.

One series that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure", a shonen Manga series that pushes the boundries of awsome continuously. I love this series for it's amazing artwork and creative storylines. Although the online translation of part 4 of the series is mediocure at best, and it's difficult to figure out what's going on at times, but if you're willing to put up with this then you'll get to see crazy awsomeness such as multi-page beatdowns, a time stopping vampire, exploding people, a fight sequence in Zero-Gravity, and whatever the hell this is.

Spoiler:

In short, I love this series for the awsome.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

On the latest development pertaining to Aizen's nigh omniscience in Bleach,
Spoiler:
Okay, blatant asspull aside, this could work out pretty well for the story if done right. It could explain away Ichigo's incredible power-ups, inability to die in combat and generally some of the more obvious plot holes.
Really though, if Tite Kubo does this right, I'll forgive him for all past transgressions.

Also, does anyone else find
Spoiler:
ISSHIN BLOWING AIZEN THROUGH MULTIPLE BUILDINGS WHILE GIVING HIM THE MIDDLE FINGER AWESOME?

New Manga I've started to follow, Freezing.
Spoiler:
The basic premise is as follows: Beings from a different dimension, called Novas, have started a war with mankind. To counter this threat, mankind has manufactured tissue called "Stigmata" and branding it into their bodies, a new breed of female warriors was born. An academy called "Genetics" that trains female warriors called "Pandoras," who can wield special weaponry and armour, was formed to train these warriors. Taking a younger boy as a partner, the two fought as a pair of combatants. These boys are also the only power on earth that have the power to dampen the Nova's freezing effect.

One of the main characters, Kazuya Aoi decided to en-roll in this school because of a promise with Kazuha, his sister, an outstanding Pandora who died in battle. There he meets Satellizer El Briget, nicknamed "The Untouchable Queen" due to her solitary demeanour but also the top student of the academy whose battle simulation streak was undefeated, until he came and distracted her mid-combat.

The story is only twenty chapters in and has an irregular update on most sites so don't expect it to be anything fast paced.

Comments
Art: 10/10
The characters are all recognizable and well drawn, the backgrounds are detailed but don't detract focus from the main event (so to speak) and there are next to no inconsistencies between panels or pages.
Story: 9/10
I can't call it entirely unique as it has certain elements of EVA to it (Novas = angels, their ability to paralyse people with a strange field = AT Field and Pandoras/Limiters = Angel Human hybrids, etc...) which is a bit jarring at times, but overall the pacing is very good, the characters are developed well for the most part and the forty page a chapter format means that there is plenty of time to have fights without having to use the "One fight takes a few dozen chapters" format of many standard shonen. Thankfully, this also isn't a standard shonen.

I'd recommend it to all of you to at least check out the first chapter.

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”