Calvin and Hobbes

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sir2you

Re: Calvin and Hobbes

Postby sir2you » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:36 am UTC

1. Lord of the Rings & related works by Tolkien

2. Various Calvin and Hobbes collections

3. The Bible.

Those are the books that I have spent the most time reading, in order. I love C&H. =)
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

SimRobert2001

Bill Watterson Interview

Postby SimRobert2001 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:03 pm UTC

Allright, guys, i KNOW all of us are comic fans, and i stumbled onto this over at one of my other websites. It is a VERY rare interview done through e-mail with bill watterson, on the 15th anniversary of the ending of the Calvin and Hobbes comic. You heard me right FIFTEENTH. I feel rather old now, so lets all enjoy our nostalgia, and post memories of this comic, hrm?

OF all the comics I read, C&H was my alltime favorite. With it, i laughed until my sides were sore, and I've COMPLETELY worn out SEVERAL of the comic books. It is one of the fondest memories of my child hood, and it has never been replaced. I was pissed when it ended, well, bummed, really. I was 12, so I really had no idea what i was truly losing. And now that i look back, I realized that you have ended your print run, but the comic itself never truly ended. It exists on with the fans who made the strip what it was. I can go look back through each of the strips, as an adult, and get something new that i've NEVER gotten as a child. Thank you, Mr. Watterson.

El Spark

Re: Bill Watterson Interview

Postby El Spark » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

By any chance, is there a link to said interview?

*edit*

Yay for Google!
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:36 pm UTC

That one was done when he was still doing the strip. I believe this is the relevant interview.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

Yeah, I went back and changed the link after actually, you know, sitting down and READING the thing. Heh.

/sillyspark
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

SimRobert2001

Postby SimRobert2001 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:59 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:That one was done when he was still doing the strip. I believe this is the relevant interview.

Yes, that is the relevant link, thank you.

Damn, i feel like I should turn in my nerd card for that gaffe. Clearly i can't post online anymore. >.>

Particuarliy in my old age.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:55 am UTC

...Hasn't it only been 14 years, since Dec 1995, the date wikipedia lists as the ending?

How soon after the U.S. Postal Service issues the Calvin stamp will you send a letter with one on the envelope?

Immediately. I'm going to get in my horse and buggy and snail-mail a check for my newspaper subscription.

oh man,
Does anyone else have the urge to track him down and explain webcomics?
Is he just fed up with drawing all together?
No one seems to know what's he's doing these days... besides hiding.

SimRobert2001

Postby SimRobert2001 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Does anyone else have the urge to track him down and explain webcomics?

From what i could tell, he gave up for "artistic reasons." He didn't have anything to give to the characters, and as a result, he retired. He simply has no where to take them if he were to start back up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:...Hasn't it only been 14 years, since Dec 1995, the date wikipedia lists as the ending?

How soon after the U.S. Postal Service issues the Calvin stamp will you send a letter with one on the envelope?

Immediately. I'm going to get in my horse and buggy and snail-mail a check for my newspaper subscription.

oh man,
Does anyone else have the urge to track him down and explain webcomics?
Dude had something to say. Dude wanted to say it with squiggles representing people and a dual reality. Dude said it. Dude made enough money to retire comfortably. Dude retires comfortably, allowing someone else with something to say to fill his particular niche. Dude enjoys painting for shits and giggles.

I mean.. if he wanted to do anything else, he'd be doing it. If he thought he had something more to say, he'd be saying it. Dude's done.

... Dude.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

drghost

Postby drghost » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

SimRobert2001 wrote:Allright, guys, i KNOW all of us are comic fans, and i stumbled onto this over at one of my other websites. It is a VERY rare interview done through e-mail with bill watterson, on the 15th anniversary of the ending of the Calvin and Hobbes comic. You heard me right FIFTEENTH. I feel rather old now, so lets all enjoy our nostalgia, and post memories of this comic, hrm?

i would like that picture if hobbes didn't look confused.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:05 am UTC

keozen wrote:Calvin & Hobbes is great. One of the best strips I've ever read.

I have many favorites. There are also a couple of the "fan" done ones that make me chuckle, such as:

I think this tribute is trying to do the same thing.
Attachments
I wonder if thats Susie.jpg
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:28 am UTC

Now that this thread has been recalled to life, I feel compelled to link this paper from our old resident literary theorist.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:40 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Dude had something to say. Dude wanted to say it with squiggles representing people and a dual reality. Dude said it. Dude made enough money to retire comfortably. Dude retires comfortably, allowing someone else with something to say to fill his particular niche. Dude enjoys painting for shits and giggles.

I mean.. if he wanted to do anything else, he'd be doing it. If he thought he had something more to say, he'd be saying it. Dude's done.

... Dude.
See, I respect that, he can do whatever he wants, definitely.
I just... would find it kind of tragic for the new culture of comic making and distributing, without all the publishers and editors he had problems with, could be going on without him knowing or being familiar with it. I don't think he should be dragged out into the public sphere, but even just as a viewer, webcomics seem like something he might appreciate. (putting things on the internet gets around most of the problems he had with comic making, people trying to make money off your work, restricted formats, etc.)
I mean, he might already know about it, in which case I wouldn't want to bother him, maybe lots of other people already sent letters and stuff, it's hard to gauge how aware the non-internet world is of comics on the internet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:08 pm UTC

While I have nothing to base this on other than my gut feeling, I'm pretty sure that as a cartoonist interested in the future of the medium, he's aware of webcomics and probably reads a couple.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:11 am UTC

Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Zapp

Postby Zapp » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:05 am UTC

SimRobert2001 wrote:Image

Those made my day. Almost made me cry, really. Hell, I think I'm crying... I love Calvin and Hobbes. Watterson masterfully crafted a work of art that spanned ten years, seven of which were regretfully before I was even alive. All ten of which I was unable to read. But I have all the comic books now and have read them each several times. They have gotten me through depressions better than any medicine ever could.

:)

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue May 31, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

For what it's worth, Watterson is a fan of Cul de Sac, and wrote the foreword for the first collection and painting one of the characters.

http://www.gocomics.com/culdesac/
http://johnwilkestooth.tumblr.com/post/ ... of-the-day

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”