Recommend me an awesome graphic novel

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Re: Recommend me an awesome graphic novel

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

They do, they're called Trade Paperbacks or Trades. This is a discussion that has been had a brazillion times and nobody really cares anymore so we are all calling them funnybooks.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:08 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I was reading a lot about Cerebus the Aardvark on TVTropes and Wikipedia the other day. Seems to fall rather short of the "awesome" classification, though.

Anyone here ever try to tackle this thing? It sounds like quite the mindscrew.

I found the first volume in the library the other week. (They have many of the later volumes too, but not all.) I'd heard a lot about Dave Sim's, er, shall we say, unconventional ideas, and how he spent a lot of the later issues shoehorning them into Cerebus. But the first volume is before all that, thankfully, and is worth reading.

It starts off as basically just a spoof of barbarian stories, but with the inherently hilarious :wink: concept of a the main character being a grouchy badass who just happens to be a funny animal (see also: Howard the Duck, who appeared ). It's all amusing enough, but there are two particularly funny characters: Foghorn Leghorn soundalike Elrod, whose appearances are always highlights; and the Cockroach, who's used to parody various superheroes. There is a lot of that: there's a fun take on Robin's origin at one point, and one villain is a telepathic sorcerer called Charles X. Claremont. :mrgreen: I hear there's a brilliant Sandman spoof in one of the later issues, which Neil Gaiman said was "easily the best parody of Sandman anyone's ever done, as various members of the Cerebus cast of characters become Snuff, Swoon and the rest of the Clueless. It was wickedly funny, and had the author of Sandman curling his toes when he read it."

The first first few issues look a little weird, but he soon nails down Cerebus' design, and after that the art is good; even this early in the series he's using interesting panels - there's one story where Cerebus is unconcious and spends basically the entire issue against a black background, which still manages to be visually interesting.

So yeah, this first volume, at least, is worth reading.

mosc wrote:Anyway, I'll continue to try and find Sandman 1. Not surprisingly, it seems to get sold pretty quick and they don't like stocking lots of them because 2 through 9 are usually still sitting on the shelf. Maybe I'll break down and order it.

I wish more libraries and bookshops would, in general, stock more copies of the first entries in a series (whether prose novel or comic) than of the later volumes. Surely it would only help get more people hooked on a series, and therefore help their sales?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:If you pick up a Mainstream 'Graphic novel' you will get the feeling it is seven or so comics stuck together because that is precisely what it is. DC/Marvel/Vertigo/everything is written and released in issues. The reason Watchmen felt bigger than that is because it was written with the novel part in mind, and thus was able to have a clear beginning and end without tying into a further continuity.

Watchmen was no less written for the single issue format than DKR was. Hell, the entire "Fearful Symmetry" chapter only really works as it intended when viewed by itself. DKR's entire connection to continuity was "there's this guy who dresses like a bat and beats up criminals and he's made a few enemies over time and eventually retired and now he's back!"

Mosc, Sandman vol. 1 is available on Amazon if you're in the US, and most likely other countries, as well.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

Watchmen, while written for single issues, was conceived as a NOVEL, with a clear beginning, middle and end. Whereas Batman trades are written as stories within a larger continuity, that tie in things form outside, and leave itself open to be followed on by the next story coming along.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Well, just noticed this thread spawned a whole subforum but wanted to post my update here anyway. I finished the Watchmen and found it a much more interesting introduction than The Dark Knight was. Watchmen felt more like a narrative where The Dark Knight felt much more like a traditional series of comics. Beyond it's dark tone (which wasn't nearly as dark as I thought it would be from numerous expressions), it was really just ~7 batman comics glued together.

If you want to kick it up a notch or seven, pick up From Hell. Damn comic is dense. If you've seen the movie, I'll break it down where it differs - 90% of the plot and character development has been removed with a hatchet, and they've slapped in a silly romance and idiotic drug addiction.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Watchmen, while written for single issues, was conceived as a NOVEL, with a clear beginning, middle and end. Whereas Batman trades are written as stories within a larger continuity, that tie in things form outside, and leave itself open to be followed on by the next story coming along.

I'm talking about The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, specifically, not an average Detective Comics or Batman trade. DKR was conceived and executed no differently than Watchmen with the minor exception of using existing characters (which Watchmen was conceived as, albeit executed differently). It has a clear beginning, middle, and end and wasn't really intended to be have anything to do with any existing continuity other than some basic stuff that's not terribly important to the story.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

Oh right, that 'The Dark Knight'. Consider me corrected then.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
Jesse wrote:Watchmen, while written for single issues, was conceived as a NOVEL, with a clear beginning, middle and end. Whereas Batman trades are written as stories within a larger continuity, that tie in things form outside, and leave itself open to be followed on by the next story coming along.

I'm talking about The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, specifically, not an average Detective Comics or Batman trade. DKR was conceived and executed no differently than Watchmen with the minor exception of using existing characters (which Watchmen was conceived as, albeit executed differently). It has a clear beginning, middle, and end and wasn't really intended to be have anything to do with any existing continuity other than some basic stuff that's not terribly important to the story.

If that's true, then they just failed at it. Dark Knight Returns was a great collection of comics but the pages were simple illustrations and the story brutally linear.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

Why does a story have to be non-linear to be considered a graphic novel? I can list plenty of linear graphic novel stories are not just a bunch of comics glued together (as you like to put it). I'm not claiming it's the work of art that Watchmen is, but it's considered nearly as important to the medium.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

Because I haven't read a novel yet that didn't pay with foreshadowing or some form of literary frame or other non-linear storytelling tool...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Okay...regular monthly books do that all the time. Frank Miller's not exactly the deepest writer in the business, but he doesn't try to be.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

This seems to have swerved from a recommendation thread...but I'm going to recommend something anyway--just to break with tradition.

Blue Monday by Chynna Clugston. I'm not sure whether to call it an OEL--because it's not really mangaish aside from some stylistic aspects. It's about a bunch of highschool kids in the 90s, and that's about as descriptive as I can get. There's lots of Buster Keaton references. :P After a pretty long hiatus there has been new serials, which I'm waiting for a collected trade for.
Rice Puddin.

Bondidude

Postby Bondidude » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

The Boys - This Is Going To Hurt and Get Some

I'm not big on super heroes. For the most part, I find them to be pretty boring. Apparently, so does Garth Ennis, except in his case you'd call it more of a blind hatred for them. This has been evident in his work in the past, through The Pro and some of his work on other books. With The Boys he turns off the blinders and releases a harsh look at what super heroes would be in the real world. They're corrupt, evil and without boundaries. Besides, who would stand up to them?

Who watches the Watchmen?

The Boys do.

Not for the weak of heart, it is classic Ennis in that it's full of ultra-violence, gore, nudity and language. It starts out with a bang, start slowing down a bit, but as of the latest issues it looks like a helluva trip we're on.
"Chess is such a difficult game. Sooo many pieces." - Rivers Cuomo, Chess

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Anyone heard of how loathsome? A friend of mine told me I should read it, so I bought it. And I can't wait to give it a read. Just wondering if anyone else had read it.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:14 am UTC

I just wanted to say, that I just finished reading Death: the high cost of living, and I almost cried.

Read it. Now.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:05 am UTC

Anybody said Jimmy Corrigan: the Smartest Kid On Earth yet?

ignis fatuus

Postby ignis fatuus » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:20 am UTC

I wouldn't say this is a literary classic, or even technically a graphic "novel", but I'd definitely categorize Capacity by Theo Ellsworth as 336 pages of awesomeness! The stories are really fun and often silly but the art is the best part: it's really distinctive and full of wonderful details. It took me a long time to read because I kept getting lost in individual pages.

bpatrick

Postby bpatrick » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:47 am UTC

No one's mentioned Love and Rockets? Comics' highest achievement. Better than Watchmen. Jaime Hernandez is a genius. I also like Daniel Clowes, Chris Ware, Adrian Tomine - for comics out of the ordinary. Paul Pope is really good. Ivan Brunetti. Really, you can't beat L&R.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:41 am UTC

The recent Homestar Runner Halloween cartoon led me to look up Scud: The Disposable Assassin, which sounds pretty nifty.

I am also intrigued by The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. (At a Halloween event many, many, many years ago, I got a Gladstone comic that included "The Prize of Pizzaro". I read that thing so many times over the years.)

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:50 am UTC

I just read We3. It is quite good.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

Pit

Postby Pit » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

ChocloManx wrote:I just wanted to say, that I just finished reading Death: the high cost of living, and I almost cried.

Read it. Now.

I'm a big fan of Death: The High Cost of Living (and most of any Sandman comics with relation to Death, mostly cause she's my favorite Endless).

I suggest Mouse Guard (*squee* ~ They're progressively coming out, and they're a really great read).
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

McCaber wrote:I just read We3. It is quite good.

It's also one of the more depressing comics I've read. :(

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

My wife bought me Sandman 1 for Chanukah thanks to this thread. I'll let you know how it goes...

Enderb

Postby Enderb » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

Batman: The Killing Joke

Loved it, lays a great foundation for Joker related works, and, the Joker is awesome.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

I bought Absolute Sandman vol 1 this weekend. I shall report back when I finish the heavy sob. :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

From PM's..

eternal luna's looking for some comic to analyze for her English class dealing with the concepts of Othering and/or Belonging.

As she admits that she's not too up on the Comic scene, self-contained stuff would be for the best, and she'd prefer stuff that told it's story more through art than walls of text.

So far I've mentioned We3 by Grant Morrison, Orbiter by Warren Ellis, Marvels by Kurt Busiek (yeah, the one painted by Alex Ross), and User by Devin Grayson.. though that one's likely hard to find these days.

I'm wondering if the miniseries of Black Orchid that Neil Gaiman did would also work...

Anyway, anyone else have any thoughts to add?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

How loathsome...
wait, high school or university? I can't remember...
if university, then how loathsome. High school teachers may not like graphic novels about gays, lesbians, trans, drugs and BDSM...

Fables maybe?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

Honestly, I'd stick with Marvels and We3.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Fables maybe?
Eh, I figure that's a bit epic for what's required. It's just getting going by the end of the first trade, and 1001 Nights of Snowfall does kinda require knowledge of the characters, so...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:55 am UTC

Yeah. I'll accept that.

Wait, first trade of y the last man is pretty othering. I mean... yeah.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:09 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm wondering if the miniseries of Black Orchid that Neil Gaiman did would also work...
I think it might. Othering / Belonging would describe one of the themes quite well.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:18 am UTC

Indeed. I think Luna's going with We3..for now. Think she'll look in to that one too.

He says, as if she isn't capable of mentioning it herself.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:23 am UTC

I do not mind in the slightest. Thank you, people. I'll be after the other ones for entertainment after this.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:14 am UTC

Just finished the Watchman - Loved it.
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:45 am UTC

Dakun wrote:Just finished the Watchman - Loved it.

I know it's not good to post just one word, so I won't. But seriously, it's called "Watchmen". No "the" and in plural. There's... more than one. :)
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:
Dakun wrote:Just finished the Watchman - Loved it.

I know it's not good to post just one word, so I won't. But seriously, it's called "Watchmen". No "the" and in plural. There's... more than one. :)

Watchmen* But seriously I think I was a bit out of it when I posted that, as I had just finished reading The Eternals. Watchmen was great also, but I was planning on NOT mentioning that, since everyone else already has.

-Jamie
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm UTC

Just bought the first 4 issues (i.e. graphic novel collections) of both Fables and Y: Last Man. Lovin them.
But theres still some deep dark part of me that cries every time I read a graphic novel, saying "nothing is better than Watchmen, and may never be!"

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:12 am UTC

Transmetropolitan was better than Watchmen, so boo sucks to you.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:53 am UTC

From what little I know of Transmetropolitan, I'm a little surprised the movie hasn't already been made.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:01 am UTC

I'd've thought fans with homemade bowel disrupters and chair-legs of truth would be the reason a movie would not be made.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”