The Order of the Stick

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sir_Elderberry

The Order of the Stick

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:07 am UTC

http://giantitp.com

Now that the link is behind us, who else here reads OotS? I think it's a great webcomic, on par with xkcd for sure. Considering that most of the webcomics I read (C&H, xkcd, PA) aren't really plot-focused, it makes a good counterpoint to that.

I'm not sure what the spoiler policy is for webcomics, so I'm just going to state this rather plainly:

Plot details follow, discussion of current and past arcs follow. You are warned.
(Exception: Some of us haven't read the published-only books, so maybe those still deserve tags.)

Spoiler:
So, what about the most recent strip? I kind of assumed Roy wouldn't be raised quite that easily, but now I'm intrigued as to what their questions will be. I'm also starting to feel really sorry for Vaarsuvius.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Re: The Order of the Stick

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:27 am UTC

I really enjoyed these last few strips here.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:53 am UTC

Yes, I agree it's rather good. However, I HADN'T READ THE MOST RECENT STRIP!

Thanks for the spoilers, foo'.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:16 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Spoiler:
I kind of assumed Roy wouldn't be raised quite that easily, but now I'm intrigued as to what their questions will be.
Spoiler:
I really don't see any reason to think he will be raised easily. Even if they don't screw up the question asking (I wouldn't be surprised if Red Cloak is given as the answer to "who can raise Roy for us" or something,) it's quite possible inevitable likely that there will be complications.

Sir_Elderberry wrote:(Exception: Some of us haven't read the published-only books, so maybe those still deserve tags.)
Get your act together and read then. Now. Start of Darkness especially, because it is far funnier than it has any right to be.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:30 pm UTC

I know, I know. I can't find them though. Amazon.com doesn't have them, and I don't live near bookstores. In desperation, I turned to piracy, but it seems not even the Internet has them. Gah. One day...

Spoiler:
I really don't see any reason to think he will be raised easily. Even if they don't screw up the question asking (I wouldn't be surprised if Red Cloak is given as the answer to "who can raise Roy for us" or something,) it's quite possible inevitable likely that there will be complications.
Spoiler:
Yeah, this is why I wasn't very confident of their ability to just walk up to the oracle and get a rez out of him. I think where the plot will go kind of depends on the questions. Personally, I just want to know what Belkar asks. Or Celia even. (Assuming Haley does the obvious, "raise roy" question.)

Well. You heard him.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I know, I know. I can't find them though. Amazon.com doesn't have them, and I don't live near bookstores. In desperation, I turned to piracy, but it seems not even the Internet has them. Gah. One day...
Um, anything wrong with buying them from the Giant in the Playground online shop? A friend of mine bought them all from there not long ago (as well as the fantastic game.) I bought mine from my Local Comic Book Shop, so I imagine you could buy from an online one of those, too (hell, you could buy them from mine if you want ...)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:Um, anything wrong with buying them from the Giant in the Playground online shop? A friend of mine bought them all from there not long ago (as well as the fantastic game.)

Second recommendation for buying them straight from the GitP shop. They're really the most reliable source. There're also a few other benefits.
A few years back,
Me: I was hoping you might have copies of the second book to sell here.
Rich: I know, sorry. We weren't able to get it through our publishers in time. It'll be available at our shop next week... If you want to place an order now, I'll make sure to sign yours when I ship it out.

So, yeah, when I got the second book in the mail, it was already signed. I dunno if I'd pester him with it now, but if I ran into him again at another convention, I might ask.

Order of the Stick is my second-favorite webcomic (8-Bit Theater being my first). I've been following it since sometime before they even made it out of Xykon's dungeon at the beginning. KF
~Kaiser

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:Yes, I agree it's rather good. However, I HADN'T READ THE MOST RECENT STRIP!
Thanks for the spoilers, foo'.

Gee, a thread about a webcomic that updates on a schedule talking about the most recent strip? What are the odds of that?

Pardon me if I appear to have no sympathy for your plight, but I see nothing in the logs about this thread being reported for unspoiled spoilers.

Anyhoo... I read the entire archives in a couple of days after playing the boardgame. While it works well as a long narrative, a day-to-day format doesn't seem to help it much, in my head. Which may be why I never got in to it at the begining.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:I know, I know. I can't find them though. Amazon.com doesn't have them, and I don't live near bookstores. In desperation, I turned to piracy, but it seems not even the Internet has them. Gah. One day...
Um, anything wrong with buying them from the Giant in the Playground online shop? A friend of mine bought them all from there not long ago (as well as the fantastic game.) I bought mine from my Local Comic Book Shop, so I imagine you could buy from an online one of those, too (hell, you could buy them from mine if you want ...)

Oddly enough, had you asked me a few weeks ago, yes. I didn't have any way of getting money there over the Internet, and my parents are rather paranoid about such things. (I did have an Amazon.com gift certificate, which is why I mentioned it.) However, I have a debit card now, so that's actually doable. Thanks for making me relook the situation.

Gee, a thread about a webcomic that updates on a schedule talking about the most recent strip? What are the odds of that?

To be fair, OotS isn't on a schedule.

Well. You heard him.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

Yeah, I forgot it's on a "Updates randomly three times a week" schedule, which I don't think is consistent in that. Whoops. Hey, Felltir, I apologize for being overly bitchy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:27 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, I forgot it's on a "Updates randomly three times a week" schedule, which I don't think is consistent in that. Whoops. Hey, Felltir, I apologize for being overly bitchy.

No problem.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Since it's early in the morning of a new strip, I'm spoilering my thoughts on today's strip.

Spoiler:
Woah. Belkar, you tiny fire-breathing avatar of death. How could you? (Well, I see how he could, said oracle was getting pretty annoying really.)

Someone on the GitP forums pointed out that because of the memory charm, it's possible that Haley and Celia won't even remember this to punish Belkar. It kind of depends on how much of the magic stays intact after the Oracle's death.

Well. You heard him.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

I think I'm getting a little annoyed with the Order of the Stick. The jokes of the individual strips are still good enough (well, not consistently, but still) but there just is no end in sight. Everything they do seems for naught and while at some point it seemed like things would start to be wrapped up, we're still here, the plot barely moved since Roy's death.
Spoiler:
For instance, I liked how the whole joke with how Belkar's prophecy played out, but in retrospect I hated the fact that yet another thing that could help them has gone wrong and now they're basically back to square one.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, it's funny, but wasn't this strip supposed to be plot-driven now? Maybe there should be a separate strip called "Belkar shits all over everyone's plans"
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Disagreed. I think what Belkar was doing for most of today's strip effectively proved that the oracle was, in fact, utter crap and had nothing of value to say. Like with any oracle, the answers are too vague and open-ended to be useful.

I mean, he's not even a cleric.

Not sure if he deserved to get knifed, but he had it coming, and the party is better off getting on their way. KF
~Kaiser

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:
Spoiler:
Disagreed. I think what Belkar was doing for most of today's strip effectively proved that the oracle was, in fact, utter crap and had nothing of value to say. Like with any oracle, the answers are too vague and open-ended to be useful.

Then you missed the point.

Spoiler:
That knowing smirk on the oracle's face as he died, and the "worth a try".....

He knew Belkar was going to kill him, from the first time Belkar asked the question. All the crazy vague explanations were just half-assed, futile attempts to save his own life.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Then you missed the point.
Spoiler:
That knowing smirk on the oracle's face as he died, and the "worth a try".....

He knew Belkar was going to kill him, from the first time Belkar asked the question. All the crazy vague explanations were just half-assed, futile attempts to save his own life.

Hm, I must've been more tired this morning when reading the strip than I realized.
Spoiler:
In that case, I'd say the oracle's death was inevitable. No sense blaming Belkar for things that're out of his chaotic evil hands! KF
~Kaiser

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Well, just because the oracle knew he was going to do that doesn't mean he didn't do it on his own free will. Anyway, I can see why some people might be irritated that the past few strips about the oracle are all for nothing now, but remember...we haven't seen the rest of the arc. Nothing says that after they kill the oracle they just leave without any further events occurring. There's a point to this yet. I have faith.

Well. You heard him.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Like, for instance, someone comes to raise the oracle and they say "Hey, look at this dead pile of bones! That's TOTALLY him.

Or alternatively it could advance the characters considerably. Celia and Haley let Belkar get away with killing the gnome guy, because we know they're not very good enforcers, and Haley's slipping over into Neutral anyway. But even they might balk at this and if they don't, Roy saw it, and Roy is decidedly Lawful Good, AND he has the word to activate the Mark of Justice. Maybe the mark can hear him even if no one else can.

But yeah, I'm anxious for Roy to get raised. This is like Haley's speechlessness--okay, let's move on now!

Of course, the epic battle sequence that took place after Haley got her speech back was so completely worth it. I have faith. And it's been updating quite rapidly.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Maybe the mark can hear him even if no one else can.

!!!!!!!!!!!
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

To be honest, I've got no issues with the strip at this point. I know it's been a little slow lately, but at the same time, it has to be slow, what with the party being split up and all. A small encounter usually takes between 1 and 3 strips anyway, split that three (well, actually four) ways and, well, the plot line will seem to move slowly. That said, he's already said that he's got the story arcs in mind, so...

Also, about the most recent strip, god Bless Belkar.

Oh, and go buy the game if you enjoy the strip! It's a lot of fun (and significantly better once you've read the strip).
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:37 am UTC

I'm very happy with it at the moment. Since Roy died we've been in 'first half of the book' mode. Right now it feels like we are getting plot movement.
Spoiler:
Now I have to try to remember look up exactly what that mark of justice did...

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:46 am UTC

New comic is up, and HEEHEEHEE, I was wrong but I was right!

I love this rapidfire updating! Love it!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:21 am UTC

I think OotS has my favorite art of the webcomics I read (although Girl Genius is close). I'm hating how slow the page has been for me lately, but it's not like I don't have a minute or two to wait for it to load (is that just me?).

Spoiler:
I liked the Oracle :( While the vengeance is sort of satisfying, I'd like to see him rezzed eventually.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:04 am UTC

Spoiler:
Oh my god, I take it back, that is friggin' AWESOME

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:14 am UTC

Vaniver: It's not just you. It's slow enough that I've given up and come back to it a day or two later once or twice.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Oracle, you magnificent bastard. See the future? Know you can't change your fate? Just make sure the other guy gets owned afterwards.

EDIT:Mark of Justice explained.

Well. You heard him.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Spoiler:
Oracle, you magnificent bastard. See the future? Know you can't change your fate? Just make sure the other guy gets owned afterwards.

EDIT:Mark of Justice explained.

Thanks for that one, I had a hard time understanding today's strip until I re-read that previous one. Now I can appreciate it in its magnificent punchlineness.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:15 am UTC

I had pretty much the same reaction as Belkar did, at the bottom of today's strip... a few panels of "Wait, what?", before I put 2 and 2 together...

Very well played.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Spoiler:
One thing to note... I think Rich has been pretty unabashed in getting across the whole "Belkar is evil" thing. Not that he's evil in a funny way--which is the assumption a lot of times, and probably what it was at first--but that, when it comes down to it, he really is downright evil and probably deserves to get killed himself.

This might've been coming for a long time as a way to finally kill Belkar.

And, I'm still not sure if Roy will ever get rezzed. KF
~Kaiser

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:51 am UTC

Kizyr wrote:
Spoiler:
One thing to note... I think Rich has been pretty unabashed in getting across the whole "Belkar is evil" thing. Not that he's evil in a funny way--which is the assumption a lot of times, and probably what it was at first--but that, when it comes down to it, he really is downright evil and probably deserves to get killed himself.

This might've been coming for a long time as a way to finally kill Belkar.

And, I'm still not sure if Roy will ever get rezzed. KF

I think Belkar is sometimes evil in the funny sense, like Bender, and sometimes evil in the "Wow, you're...evil." sense, like when he stabbed the gnome earlier. Either way, I doubt he dies. The story just wouldn't be the same without him.

Well. You heard him.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

Order of the stick is BRILLIANT. I love what they did to bel. He totally deserved it.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Mark of Justice: He'll get sicker and sicker until until he'll be incapable of hurting anyone.

Hmm.

Spoiler:
So he's not dead.

In essence, a bunch of this is the PCs trying to do things that won't work, but if they didn't do you'd be very confused.

Hmm!
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html
Didn't he just make an oath on his sword? I guess it isn't as binding as his Dad's, and he did die trying to pull it off.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:01 am UTC

I love that. Likemyorangeballshafling is the best town name ever.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:51 am UTC

Yakk wrote:Hmm!
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html
Didn't he just make an oath on his sword? I guess it isn't as binding as his Dad's, and he did die trying to pull it off.

His dad made a Blood Oath. There was all kind of magicks involved that bound his spirit to it. That's just Roy going "I'm gonna do this!"

Well. You heard him.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:00 am UTC

Jessica wrote:I love that. Likemyorangeballshafling is the best town name ever.

I think it was lickmyorangeballshafling

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:18 am UTC

4=5 wrote:
Jessica wrote:I love that. Likemyorangeballshafling is the best town name ever.

I think it was lickmyorangeballshafling

It is, thus, "No, seriously, give 'em a good once-over".

Well. You heard him.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:22 am UTC

Do you think he just called in a bunch of Kobold buddies to form it, or are they genuinely settled in and are going to live there the rest of their lives?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:24 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:Do you think he just called in a bunch of Kobold buddies to form it, or are they genuinely settled in and are going to live there the rest of their lives?
My guess is that they'll at least change the name, if they stick around.

But it would probably be wisest to not be someplace where Belkar can find and murder them, assuming the party finds a way to lift the curse instead of putting him out of his misery (or prolonging it, they might be cruel).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:30 am UTC

New comic is up, and I'm pretty sure I'm not happy. Too gross.

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”