The Order of the Stick

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: The Order of the Stick

Postby phlip » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

That gag never gets old.

Never.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

It's good to see V doing something cool without also being an ass/evil at the same time.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

This comic needs to stop ending every strip with a cliffhanger. It's driving me crazy!
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:36 am UTC

Is it just me, or does that page feel like a bit of a cheap way out? :S
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:19 pm UTC

LuNatic wrote:Is it just me, or does that page feel like a bit of a cheap way out? :S

To be fair, he has been building up to the possibility of MitD doing something helpful for the good guys, and it has been demonstrated to be powerful.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

And besides, this is (or at least is likely to be) a rather major character-defining moment for the mysterious creature... it's only fitting that the circumstances be suitably epic.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

I thought it was quite cool that I assumed all along it was some big scary monster that would be powerful due to physical strength or something; and it seems to have magicked them away instead...
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

Well, it's obviously no slouch in the physical department either--remember "Who can hit the softest"?

I'm still trying to think about what it is, exactly, and how much Xykon knows about it. He knows it's powerful, but does he realize to what degree? I think we've discussed the possibility that it is the Snarl before and dismissed it.

Well. You heard him.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

50-50 that it is a coincidence? :)

Ie, someone did a scry-and-teleport rescue after V bashed down the epic-level defences.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:50-50 that it is a coincidence? :)

Ie, someone did a scry-and-teleport rescue after V bashed down the epic-level defences.

Hrm. Possibly. Did V bash down the epic-level defenses, though? I thought he just teleported through them, not actually disabling them.

Oh, guys, enough time has passed that Roy would hypothetically be resurrected by now....

Well. You heard him.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm pretty sure nothing has happened to the cloister spell or any other similar defenses Xykon cast--V's power during the soul splice was simply high enough level to bypass it (the same way Roy could scry on Azure City from the upper plane)
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I'm still trying to think about what it is, exactly, and how much Xykon knows about it. He knows it's powerful, but does he realize to what degree? I think we've discussed the possibility that it is the Snarl before and dismissed it.

I think it pretty much has to be related to the snarl, at least. Possibly an incarnation or a shard of its consciousness.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

Apparently the author has said that we will recognise the creature as soon as we see it, not necessarily from D&D, but we will. Basically, it hasn't been made up which makes me think it's not related to the Snarl.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

I was going to post the same thing, but then I realised that "you'll recognise it as soon as you see it" could easily be interpreted to mean that it's part of the Snarl.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Yeah - I mean that claw tentacle thingy was pretty distinctive, as far as the art in the comic goes - so if it pulls out one of those everyone who's been following the comic will recognize it immediately.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

On the other hand - of the people who have seen the creature and also the Snarl, none of them have seen fit to mention a connection. The lack-of-mentioning seems to me to fit more in with a mundane monster of some sort that everyone knows the name of so they don't see a reason to actually name it. Given the discussion around it, though, I can only assume that it's some high level beastie in that Xykon doesn't want to use him yet. Incredibly Strong, Magical Powers.... I don't know if attentive as a gnat is indicative of it's species or not. Medium to Large creature....

I dunno.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:On the other hand - of the people who have seen the creature and also the Snarl,

Who's that?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:On the other hand - of the people who have seen the creature and also the Snarl,

Who's that?
Indeed, only some of the Paladins would have seen the Snarl.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

And, I don't know the circumstances by which Xykon met the MITD, but as far as I know, he's been, well, in the dark for the entire comic. So none of the characters (save, I would guess, Xykon and Redcloak) know what he look slike.

Well. You heard him.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

He stole it from a circus and the circus bought it from some adventurers travelling in the jungle. So, I guess those adventurers and everyone who went to that particular circus has seen it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

Yeah, the long and the short of it is that Redcloak and his brother, Right-Eye.. Right-Eye especially, would have recognized the Monster in the Dark as being Snarltastic and/or relating to the Dark One were the MITD related to that deity as well... (I say Right-Eye especially as Right-Eye seems to have spent the most time with him and actually looking at him. Or her. Whichever)

Quick'n'dirty version of MITD : Lived in the jungle(ish? Forest? Swamp and just happened to be on some dry ground? I forget, not that it's necessarily indicative of the MITD's species), captured by game hunters, sold to a circus, Right-Eye and his kids saw the MITD at said circus, Redcloak later met him, even later Xykon shows up and says something to the effect of "Good Lord are you ugly! Come with me, I've got plans" to the Monster, fast-forward to Now.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:45 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, the long and the short of it is that Redcloak and his brother, Right-Eye.. Right-Eye especially, would have recognized the Monster in the Dark as being Snarltastic and/or relating to the Dark One were the MITD related to that deity as well... (I say Right-Eye especially as Right-Eye seems to have spent the most time with him and actually looking at him. Or her. Whichever)

What I'm not getting (and this is what I was trying to get at before) is - when did any of them see the snarl? I'm not talking about the rift or the gates, but the snarl itself - the thing that reached through one of the rifts and stabbed someone in that one scene.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

It's true that nobody has been shown to see the Snarl and live to tell the tale, but I suppose we can assume that at least Redcloack has studied its nature.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

I presumed that due to the nature of Redcloak and his gaining of knowledge from his God, the Dark One, who has been instructed as to the nature of the Snarl as well as the gates, that Redcloak would be capable of recognizing what's what. I could, however, be mistaken.

As best, though, I figure the MITD is a mobile gateway. But I think that's still putting too much on it. I think it's just a mid-range creature with more physical power than usual, like some sort of djinn maybe.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:51 pm UTC

"If I ever see you with more eyes than assholes, I'm going to shove one in the other and give your cloak to that hobgoblin." Is now one of my favorite OotS lines ever. Xykon's so cute when he's angry.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

So it looks like Roy's really coming back. And in a limo on the Highway from Heaven, no less. But if V's misadventures have an effect on Roy's alignment status, I'm going to be upset.

Also, S. Rogers? Hilarious.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Hrm. So is Roy's dad...plotting?

Well. You heard him.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

McCaber wrote:So it looks like Roy's really coming back. And in a limo on the Highway from Heaven, no less. But if V's misadventures have an effect on Roy's alignment status, I'm going to be upset.
Yeah, I wasn't real sure what the implications were of that. If it would somehow affect his alignment, or If they just wanted to inform him, because he's good, and V is a member of his party and he may have enough influence to keep V from sliding any farther, or what.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

Well, they gave him a hard time for Belkar's actions, but Roy knew how evil Belkar was. He doesn't know how evil V is or could be. Yet. So, I would hope that it wouldn't count against him.

Well. You heard him.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

If the fiends are able to take control of V at any time (most people on the forums over there believe this to be the case), it could also be for a warning about the present danger this could be for the rest of the party.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:If the fiends are able to take control of V at any time (most people on the forums over there believe this to be the case), it could also be for a warning about the present danger this could be for the rest of the party.

I would go back and try and determine their Exact Words, but only one of them is lawful, so it doesn't guarantee anything.

Anyone want to take a bet on how long V spent racking up Frequent Sinner Miles? It doesn't immediately seem to be more than...eh...half an hour, max? Less, probably. Between V teleporting to Xykon and him getting back is about ten minutes, as demonstrated by the Resurrection.

Well. You heard him.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

She teleported, killed the mama dragon, lost a soul splice, teleported, epic teleported the fleet, teleported, ran out before Roy got resurrected, teleported, lost both soul splices, lost to Xylon, teleported.

... that is a lot of teleporting. I suppose 4 casters, all of whom are reasonably likely to memorise a teleport spell, might have a few up their sleeve.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:30 am UTC

Yeah, and it'll only be up to the point where the last Soul Splice was gone, right?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:38 am UTC

Yakk wrote: I suppose 4 casters, all of whom are reasonably likely to memorise a teleport spell, might have a few up their sleeve.

Don't forget that one was a sorcerer.

Well. You heard him.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:25 am UTC

Ah, of course! It's all been an ingenious plan to have the fiends return in Strip #666, amirite?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:29 am UTC

I just read through 665 again, and caught Elan's "You're invisible!" line. How did I miss that the first time?

Well. You heard him.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 am UTC

I caught it but quickly brushed it away, it wasn't until you reminded methat I got it.
Good joke :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:54 am UTC

I totally did not pick up on that joke until you pointed it out. That is hilarious!
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

So the total debt incurred with V's deal with devils is 44 minutes, 16 seconds. No harm done, right?

(And Jorpho was one strip off. 667 ain't too bad though, it's like right next to evil.)
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

You realise that most likely the demons will not get to torture V in the abyss for that time but instead mind-control him just at the right moment so they can get hold of the gates or something. 44 minutes is a freaking long time if you think about it like that.

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”