How is xkcd drawn

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

How is xkcd drawn

Postby firsttenormtv » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:30 pm UTC

I was wondering how Randall Munroe draws xkcd. all of the characters always look the same, does he draw it by hand or does he use some kind of program?
firsttenormtv

Re: How is xkcd drawn

Postby Random832 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

firsttenormtv wrote:I was wondering how Randall Munroe draws xkcd. all of the characters always look the same, does he draw it by hand or does he use some kind of program?

They're hand-drawn, though some comics do have details added in later (like stuck pixels in http://xkcd.com/395/). The frames appear to be perfect rectangles added after scanning, but before resizing - though some in the past have not been. At one point they were drawn on grid paper, which was not cleaned up after scanning.

The characters look the same all the time because they're stick figures!
Random832

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:52 am UTC

<LE4dGOLEM|Interview> There's a notable change between your early comics and your newer works; You started out drawing in what looks like just ordinary coloured pencils, what do you use now?
<xkcd> Actually, all the color is added by special effects -- they were just ordinary noncolored bic pencils. Now, I use those same cheap ass-pencils but then I ink over everything with Micron pens (I used to use Pitt ones, which I like better but which don't support the thin line widths I have now). It's all done on paper, then I scan and edit it on a computer.

EDIT: I think at the Google talk he said he draws them REALLY BIG before shrinking them down and messing with them.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
Spoiler:
Nullcline wrote:What a colossal waste of stupidity.
fjafjan wrote:I got quite a lot of "batter" left
natraj wrote:skydiving is p fun (in this respect it is almost exactly unlike centipedes)
doogly wrote:Oh, I like everything!
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby Jesse » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:11 am UTC

You missed the stage in the process where everything gets stolen.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:49 am UTC

I was kinda under the impression that he had one of those 'hand-held laptop tablet PC thingamebobs', then just did it all in MSPaint or equivalent software with a professional touch-screen stylus or something. I guess he's keeping to the 'real' webcomic artists' style of pencil and paper. Hmm interesting.
Position vacant: new signature. No experience necessary, apply within.
User title GET.
Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Assuming the process hasn't changed since he lived here, he draws all the elements he needs out on sketchbook paper (albeit not necessarily in the proper format), scans the paper, and manipulates them in GIMP or Photoshop or something (I never asked) until they're laid out correctly and cleaned up adequately. And adds any computer-generated elements he needs at that point.

And Dobble, he does in fact have a tablet, kinda sorta. Fujitsu lifebook. Becomes a tablet when properly coaxed.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Wondrej » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

I thought its made similar to this. but well maybe to draw XKCD in hand is easier

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dqzYumQEIrY

parts 1 2 3
there was a light, then earth, then human, then simpsons, then futurama and then... sudenly xkcd apear!
Wondrej

Postby ishikiri » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

There is an interveiw somewhere (possibly in the early blog posts?) were he explains what bits of kit and software he uses. There are pictures of him in a train carrige in the interveiw if anyone remembers reading it.

Basically what Belial said.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.
ishikiri

Return to Comics/Graphic Novels