What webcomics have you STOPPED reading?

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

peri_renna

Re: What webcomics have you STOPPED reading?

Postby peri_renna » Wed May 23, 2012 1:10 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
(I nearly gave up on Erfworld for the same reason, but I'm glad I didn't.)
Care to go into more detail? I read up until the end of the first season and still found it to be a pretentious pile of crap.

(Necroreply to a question addressed to someone else!)

I think what struck me about Erfworld was that it felt like warlords (Parson in particular) really were good wargamers - so the whole how-will-they-get-out-of-this-one aspect was the foremost attraction for me.

That said, at this point I could probably add it to the "stopped reading" list, because the density of the wargaming stuff seems to have dropped a lot, and Shenanigans are Getting Epic.
I try to avoid criticizing people when they are right. If they genuinely deserve criticism, I will not need to wait long for an occasion where they are wrong.
- Eliezer Yudkowsky, "Einstein's Arrogance"

drego642

Postby drego642 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:25 am UTC

Lackadaisy - Amazing comic, but updates so infrequently I usually just ignore it for about half a year then catch up on the 3-4 updates I missed :/

Slightly Damned - Really cute comic, improved greatly artistically since the beginning. Not sure why, but I fell behind. I intend to check back up on it sometime.

TwoKinds - Exactly the same as SD

Sinfest - Only really picked it up one time, honestly can't remember if it ever stuck. Might revisit it sometime.

Catena - Also pretty cute and funny. Followed it my old laptop, lost said laptop and forgot the name of the comic for the longest time. Now I think it's on hiatus or something. :/

EDIT: Just re-read the first post. All of the above are comics I actually like, so they don't fit the thread, though I'd say I did stop reading Sinfest. I might give it another shot, but I remember becoming bored.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:26 pm UTC

This thread has reminded me I've stopped reading Doctor Cat and Hyperbole & a Half, since neither have been updated in over 2.3 PBFs'worth of time.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

Aww, I miss Hyperbole and a Half now.

I stopped reading Dominic Deegan, but someone told me this is the final year so maybe I should truck on through. Another is Notenoughbbq, but mostly because I kept forgetting it exists. Although, the steampunk story isn't as appealing as the original slice of life story.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:46 pm UTC

CAD - so many have mentioned this one, same reasons
VG Cats - Just kinda...lost interest and he never updates, once again, covered by many people
Something Positive - I don't know why I actually stopped this one, probably similar reasons to the next one
Penny Arcade - story got old and tiring

Much like Fellstaff, I miss the Far Side. I miss it so much.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

quantumcat42

Postby quantumcat42 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Penny Arcade - story got old and tiring

Since when does PA have a "story"?

thalia

Postby thalia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:51 pm UTC

CAD
One of these days.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 am UTC

Yeah, CAD. It usually takes a lot for me to drop a webcomic, mostly because if I've been reading something for a long time I'll keep checking it out of habit. Saying that, I dropped it around about the really badly handled stillborn baby arc.
I'm all for trying new things, but christ did he spring that one on an audience directly after feeding them "wackycrazy" for the entire lifespan before that. If it wasn't poorly written to boot, I'm sure I would have stuck around.

I miss Erfworld. After it took a hiatus, changed site and format, I stopped keeping up with it. It turned more into a short story with a panel stucture on top, which I just couldn't get behind (which is weird, because MSPA uses a similar format. A lot can be said for conditioning, I guess.)
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

tms

Postby tms » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

I stopped reading Sinfest. Initially for what ever reason, but then I simply couldn't remember any names associated with it. Now I saw it mentioned in this thread and I still wasn't sure up until I went to the website.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

RMT1976

Postby RMT1976 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Deadheaven. Great art, started to get interesting, then the updates ceased. Got bored and gave up on it.
Mega Tokyo. The gap between the updates got erratic, no note of explanation or reason. Stopped caring.

SnoringFrog

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:27 am UTC

The only webcomic I started reading and then gave up that comes to mind is Girl Genius (I'm ignoring anything I only read for 1-2 days). My friend kept assuring me that it got better as you went along, but after 200+ pages of it I still felt like I was trudging through boring steampunk-y thinks as if they were homework assignments, so I gave up on it.

Other than that, I've either dropped a webcomic pretty much before I started reading it, forgotten about the comic (or just not had time to check it), or kept up with it.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

I hear Errant Story has wrapped up. I think I stopped reading that one somewhere back in the first chapter but I'd probably like to give it a binge now.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:14 am UTC

I think I will stop reading drowtales, after the time skip I first had problems recognizing characters which might have contributed to me not knowing much about the whole situation. It's not that I'm completly out of the story, but sometimes I just don't really know who wants what etc.

quetzal1234

Postby quetzal1234 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:35 am UTC

I think I'm going to drop opplopolis for similar reasons. It would probably make a good BOOK, but in serial form I can't follow the 5 interlocking stories.
WibblyWobbly wrote:If the ratio of the length of the shaft of a 4-iron to the diameter of a blackberry is 3*pi^3 + 2*pi/3 + (2*e-pi)/(2*e*pi), how does that tell me whether I should use a sand wedge or a lob wedge against an opponent holding an apricot?

marsman57

Postby marsman57 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:03 pm UTC

xkcd a few months ago. I decided I was just plain bored with the recycled jokes. Randall runs a good idea occasionally, but in between, meh.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed May 20, 2015 12:51 pm UTC

Scenes from a Multiverse has been on a real kick about social justice warriors these last few weeks. And people who hate social justice warriors. And people who hate people who hate social justice warriors. It's getting tiresome.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:15 am UTC

Huh, A Softer World has gone kaput. I might have contributed to their Kickstarter, but clearly I don't read that comic often enough to be aware of it.

It was kind of neat sometimes. Also rather pretentious, but still kind of neat sometimes.

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”