What webcomics have you STOPPED reading?

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

lorenith

Re: What webcomics have you STOPPED reading?

Postby lorenith » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

8 Bit: Although part of the reason is because I went a while without internet, and just didn't feel up to trying to catch up with it, meaning while I liked it I guess I didn't like it enough

There's a few other comics that were spritey that I no longer read from years ago that I can't remember. (Bob and George was one I think? It was a megaman comic...)

VG Cats: I still check it on occasion, but I didn't stop reading it because of the update schedule, but because the humor is just too off color for me most of the time.

Help Desk: Just stopped one day

No Pink Ponies: Updating schedule, I might get back to it, because the reason it stopped updating was cause the guy was an artist for "Marry Me" which is now over, despite Marry Me being done, last I checked NPP still wasn't getting updated very much even though Marry Me has been done for 3-4 months now.

+EV Stopped updating regularly enough for me to care.

Lots of others I can't remember the name of, all dropped because my interest just died, or the updating schedule was poor

I'm thinking of dropping Dominic Deegan because it just seems...pointless now? I dunno, I don't care about the art style or anything, but the comic is just missing something. Also Anti Hero for Hire, seems to just be meandering along.

Edit: In regards to Sluggy Freelance, I can't really blame Pete for the breaks he takes. Just about ALL of them are due to him being sick, one of his children being sick, or winding down after a convention. As far as I can remember there hasn't been any filler that lasted more than a week or two, although sometimes there are lots of moments of filler with a few weeks of comic in between, this is normally during con season though. I don't think Sluggy Freelance is as good as it once was, but I don't think I'll be dropping it anytime soon either.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Triangle and Robert, only because it ended before I found it and did a complete archive binge. No MS paint comic should be able to convey a backstory THAT EPIC.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:14 am UTC

Oh look, Ian J seems to finally be indicating that he's willing to let someone else finish RPGWorld. How intriguing!
http://www.rpgworldcomic.com/

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

I seemed to have stopped reading lefthandedtoons. I didn't mean to, I just forgot about it one day, and then realised I didn't miss it. A bit like an awkward break-up with a long-term girlfriend.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:16 am UTC

I'm just about to stop Too Much Information, starting around tomorrow. What started as a mildly amusing sitcom with multiple gender-creative characters, plus one male ingenue, has evolved into hot women fighting over the author-replacement ingenue, who now has an angelic alter-ego. Um.

It's just lost my interest. I might check back in a while to see if it's still careening madly around the author's fantasies, but then again there are a lot of other things to check out, too.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:18 am UTC

Yeah, I've quite on Dominic Deegan, I've been forgetting to check it regularly for almost 6 months now, and now I dunno, I can't quite figure out what's going on, and everything seems so bleg.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

Dominic Deegan is fan fiction with no original.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:12 am UTC

I recently stopped Penny Arcade. I can't find any funniness in it, no matter how much I try.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

I never actually got into CAD. People tried, but I couldn't do it.
I kept up with PennyArcade for a long while, but just got bored of it. There were very few gems, and those that weren't were... bad. My roommate recently got into PA and I bash my head against my desk each time he links me one of the comics.
I wish PBF would come back :(
And lastly, Cyanide & Happiness. I liked the humour in my sophomore year. I kind of grew out of it, for the most part. Or maybe it lost its novelty? Who knows.
In any case, I don't like to have many webcomics that I have to keep track of -- it makes my nights easier.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

VG cats

I so rarely saw funny there and their updates happened so inconsistently that I lost interest.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Pit

Postby Pit » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:36 am UTC

I stopped reading Penny Arcade cause it just ended up falling flat for me.

I used to also read this webcomic called Misfile. I read it just when it was starting up, and it didn't update as fast as I liked. Then, when I came back to it, it had gone too far into the plot with too many pages too read, so I ended up not reading it.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:35 am UTC

I never started reading penny arcade, it just never really appealed to me...and the art style annoys me a lot for some reason.

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:36 am UTC

I started reading Superosity; it was OK at the start but then it just got too repetitive. Same with VG Cats, which wasn't that funny to begin with.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:31 am UTC

So... I think 8-Bit Theater just ended.

Am I right? I can't tell... KF
~Kaiser

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

No kidding?

Is it worth going back to read it all? (It will surely be made available in PDF form again somehow.)

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:No kidding?

Is it worth going back to read it all? (It will surely be made available in PDF form again somehow.)

If you ask me, sure. I've always enjoyed 8BT. There are certain arcs where it seems a bit circular, but otherwise I like it. I'd read maybe 5-10 at a time, though, rather than plowing through everything all at once. KF
~Kaiser

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:No kidding?

Ok, scratch that. It was just a bit of a joke on the dream sequence cliche. From 8BT:

Anyway, you were supposed to get mad. Because, wow, what a shit ending, right?

Instead I got a ton of heartfelt e-mails thanking me for years of hard work and wishing me well on whatever comes next. Even from the people who hated the fake ending. Oddly, most folks seemed to think it was a horrible way to end the comic and therefore perfect. Which, really, I should've seen coming. I mean, this is 8-bit Theater afterall.

My joke completely backfired and now I feel like an ass for making a bunch of strangers say very nice things to me. You were supposed to say mean things, y'jerks!
~Kaiser

mohini

Postby mohini » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:25 am UTC

scary go round. I got distracted, fell behind, and never felt like it was worth it to catch back up again. I really liked the art style, though.

8bit, because I'm older than fifteen

I read megatokyo every year or two, when I figure Mr. gallager has written enough to make it worth my time, but the last time I read it, it was so nonsensical that I may not read it ever again.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:59 am UTC

mohini wrote:I read megatokyo every year or two, when I figure Mr. gallager has written enough to make it worth my time
An interesting strategy. That reminds me: do any of the assembled company think the archives of Erfworld are worth another look?

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

I had a more or less identical experience with Megatokyo: I stopped reading regularly, intending to catch up every few months or so, but I just lost interest.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Warpath

Postby Warpath » Wed May 27, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

I've stopped reading Penny Arcade.

I just don't get around to it lately.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:02 am UTC

ScarygoRound - Somewhere it turned from a comedy into a soap. That and the number of story arcs that just disappeared, presumably because the author got bored of them. I still read CAD, but I'm starting to think this of it too.
QC - Pushed to far into a subculture I don't understand/have no interest in.
PublicHealthWarning - The jokes got stale, and the storylines got repetitive.
I'm about ready to give up on VGcats, simply for the lack of updates.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:58 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:ScarygoRound - Somewhere it turned from a comedy into a soap. That and the number of story arcs that just disappeared, presumably because the author got bored of them.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

(SGR rocks).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

LuNatic wrote:QC - Pushed to far into a subculture I don't understand/have no interest in.
It retains it's freshness if you look at it as the webcomic of Stuff White People Like.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:That reminds me: do any of the assembled company think the archives of Erfworld are worth another look?
I did this the other day. Much like the first fifty, the last 100 pages are moderately good art with the occasional clever bit (I did rather like the climactic solution) but all encased in a boring and obscure story. Why oh why do people like this so much?

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:55 am UTC

Dinosaur Comics - It's still as well-written and funny as it's ever been, but the static format finally caugh tup to me. It's a shame. Now I'd just rather read semi-serious blog posts from Ryan North about the topics he has in mind.

Cyanide and Happiness - I liked it for a few months, and then I realized that nearly every strip is the exact same. Somebody does or says something ordinary, and then literal consequences fall upon them in the form of a visual pun. Tee hee.

The Slackerz - The things I used to like about it - its lack of discipline and loose structure - finally took their toll as I hit Point Ennui.

I haven't stopped reading Penny Arcade and XKCD, though I'm honestly pretty close, mainly due to the humor in both strips which is starting to lapse pretty severely.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot Toothpaste For Dinner, which is no longer what it once was. Though I still read his wife's strip as well as Married to the Sea and Superpoop.

EDIT EDIT: So I went back and checked TFD, and some of the new ones were pretty good. Guess I'll start that one back up...

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:58 am UTC

The only comic I recall reading regularly that I've dropped completely is Megatokyo (which seems to be a common theme) - I went through a period of catching up every few months, but it just didn't seem worth it any more with the story getting so silly. Oh, and I no longer read Queen of Wands, of course, because it ended.

Actually, I've not checked Alpha-Shade for months now. It just updates so incredibly slowly I forget about it. With a story that complicated they really need to update about ten times as often as they do to keep things remotely coherant. And I've not read Flipside lately either. I'm still undecided on whether I actually like it, but I'll probably catch up on it again. Then there are comics like Scary-go-Round where I never even finished reading the archives through.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:
LuNatic wrote:ScarygoRound - Somewhere it turned from a comedy into a soap. That and the number of story arcs that just disappeared, presumably because the author got bored of them.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

(SGR rocks).

It was good for a long time, then I just couldn't be bothered anymore to read it. I can't even remember when it was, but it probably was about the time that I realized that Shelly was just a redhaired robot saying the same thing over and over again.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:55 am UTC

It's being replaced by somethign new in September.

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

I stopped reading Awkward Zombie (funny strip mostly about nintendo stuff) because the author went on haitus. I stopped reading abstract gender when the author deciding to quit making it, and I stopped Venus envy when it got dark/author haitus / new art style I dislike.
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

I recently stopped reading Wondermark. The humour in most strips just didn't do it for me. I'm also entertaining the idea of quitting SMBC, although I'm not sure yet.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

aurumelectrum13

Postby aurumelectrum13 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:23 am UTC

I've stopped reading new Bunny comics because they aren't funny anymore. They're just kind of...random? And not random-funny like the older ones. I still go back and read them sometimes.

JCM

Postby JCM » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:27 am UTC

Bob and George. It kind of got dull after it ended.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:13 pm UTC

Three blinking years in the making, but Breakfast of the Gods finally came to an end today:
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/poyorick ... pter=10960

Take a gander, won't you? I reckon it's a rare individual who can know all the characters off the top of his head, but it's rather clever nonetheless. And it's not overly long, either.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:12 pm UTC

Somewhere in the mountains of detritus here, there is a small piece of paper with approximately 30 abbreviations on it, representing webcomics I used to read about 8 years ago. Once a week, I would go through that list and check to see which ones had updated, and for those that had, read the updates. At some point, I got lax in that, and I stopped reading ... pretty much all of them. However, since then I picked up a small number of those, and a bunch of new ones. And since then, I have given up on another one or two.

In particular, GPF. I made it all the way to "To Thine Own Self", although frankly it was losing me way back in "Surreptitious Machinations". I haven't given up on Megatokyo, but its RSS feed doesn't seem to work well with my reader so I just have the Twitter account friended and on the rare occasions it updates I'll follow the link. I think I'm getting close to giving up on that, too.

Some of the comics I just didn't pick up again include (working mostly off memory here): Sluggy Freelance, Sinfest, Errant Story, Freefall, User Friendly, Bob the Angry Flower, Bruno the Bandit and Real Life.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Maple_fish

Postby Maple_fish » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:39 am UTC

I recently fell off VGcats too. Think Scott's got too much on to even make a new comic every month or something

*edit* and Dr McNinja. Just one I'd completely forgotten about...

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:30 pm UTC

Sluggy Freelance. I loved it for so long, and then the whole thing happened with Bun-Bun being a pirate in the...ether? I didn't understand it and I lost track of who all the brand new characters were.

General Protection Fault. The whole sequence with the alternate-dimension in the Mutex or whatever it was completely lost me.

Nukees. I just got tired of it.

College Roomies from HELL!!! Again, I lost track of what the hell was happening.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:36 am UTC

Maple_fish wrote:I recently fell off VGcats too. Think Scott's got too much on to even make a new comic every month or something

When he does get around to making new comics, they're usually not too bad. I have VGCats and Super Effective in my RSS reader so I don't have to worry about remembering to check every couple of months.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon May 17, 2010 12:22 am UTC

I'm honestly getting bored with xkcd. It doesn't seem so awesome anymore. Still think this is one of the best fora on the net though.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat May 22, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:An interesting strategy. That reminds me: do any of the assembled company think the archives of Erfworld are worth another look?
Erfworld is the only wargaming comic I've read which actually has a cool story and tactics; every other wargaming comic I've read has been jokes about miniatures. I really, really didn't like the internet culture references, but stuck with it because I used to read Partially Clips by the same author, and eventually it won me over.

Jorpho wrote:I did this the other day. Much like the first fifty, the last 100 pages are moderately good art with the occasional clever bit (I did rather like the climactic solution) but all encased in a boring and obscure story. Why oh why do people like this so much?
Hm. Well, probably because it's what we wanted our games of HOMM3 to be, and they weren't?

Joeldi wrote:I'm honestly getting bored with xkcd. It doesn't seem so awesome anymore. Still think this is one of the best fora on the net though.
It's worth keeping in your RSS feed but I do agree the magic is gone. It's hard to keep a non-story related comic full of magic for years and years, though.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”