Sinfest

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ishindri

Sinfest

Postby Ishindri » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:59 am UTC

http://www.sinfest.net/ (may not be safe for work)

I discovered it a few days ago, and have spent most of the intervening time indulging in an Archive Binge (well, and playing Morrowind too). I quite like it, I get a very Calvin and Hobbes-esque feeling from it (if much more adult). What do you all think?
All is well. We are not like the others.

Exotria

Re: Sinfest

Postby Exotria » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:04 am UTC

The updates are daily, and all high quality. Of course, the Sunday ones are best, with the full color and everything. I'm surprised it doesn't have a bigger following. It's definitely worth adding to your RSS feeds.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
niolosoiale wrote:So which side of the fence would you say I'm on? Why?

The confusing one. I think you should pick a different fence.

masher

Postby masher » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I like Sinfest; especially the dog and cat ones...

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:53 am UTC

his art has remained inhumanly consistent and sometimes he takes a couple months off but otherwise he updates every day exactly on schedule.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Tatsuya Ishida is the ninja of the webcomic world. His work is great but only a select few know it ever happened.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

I just found Sinfest thanks to a comic posted in one of the other threads (I think it was the Women's thread) since then I have binged myself on the archives and I have made it through over 800 of the comics already. My favorite ones are usually the ones with God mocking Satan, or Slick and 'Nique questioning God. The four strip "High" segment (starts on 08/02/2006) I found hilarious, having... um... "known" a few people who smoke.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:59 am UTC

I love this comic. Probably my favorite non-XKCD webcomic.

Also, it updates more often than I can check it, so I get multiple comics at once. SCORE!
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Postby EstLladon » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

It was the first webcomic I ever read. Now I'm reading 30+ of them. But it was the first.
From Russia with math.

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

I love sinfest. Percy the cat and Monique are probably my favorite characters, cause I can see a bit of myself in each of them. It's a delightful social commentary! I love the god hand puppet things! Whee!

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:18 am UTC

It's great, and I took the time to go through the whole archive (though not without some webscraping). I now read it daily.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

Wow, this comic is incredibly cute. I've only read a few, but I already love the characters. And yes, very big Calvin and Hobbes vibe. I need to read the archives, but it probably has three times the amount of content that Achewood has (and that took me forever to read).

It's definitely adultish, but not what you'd expect from the name.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Swordsoul

Postby Swordsoul » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

I find this comic incredibly condescending. Sorry.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

I love Sinfest. I only read it about once every month, and everytime I go back to read the updates it makes me feel a little bit happier. It's developed more of a political edge over the last year or so, without that feeling like a bad thing. But yea, I highly recommend reading it, it's wicked awesome, even if you disagree with its politics it's quite funny.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Zindaras

Postby Zindaras » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

I like Sinfest. It's one of the few comics I try to read every day. But in recent weeks/months his work has been very feministic. Which isn't bad but it's just not something that works all the time, just as xkcd works really well because it's not math jokes all the time.

I do love the whole Fuchsia/bookworm budding romance, though. It's very touching without being overly sappy.

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”