MS Paint Adventures thread

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: MS Paint Adventures thread

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:56 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:So you're saying that since the teams only help with the flash animations, there isn't any room for planning/writing help? I suppose that's sensible enough. I'm still not sure it wouldn't've helped, though. ;D

I suspect the other bit is that yes, writing is kindof different, and getting good work out of ghostwriters is a substantially different procedure than getting a good collection of art or music out of similar teams. Especially when so much of the flavor of the comic is predicated on Hussie's (and the various characters') particular "voices" and ways with words.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:39 am UTC

Spoiler:
SLOPPY M4K3OUTS

whaaat is going on?
Spoiler:
Gamzee wrote in his own blood to lure them both onto the roof? so they would... ?
when did Karkat even pick up that comic?

I went back an 'replayed' Don't Bleed on the Suits,
I am so much more confused than before?! How did that even fit into the main continuity?
Spoiler:
Slick Spades = Jack? Slick Spades becomes Jack? Different incarnation?

Jack is Sburbs messed up version of Slick Spades?

The webcomic that broke t.v. tropes.
Except that "webcomic" seems to fall far short of an accurate description.
What do you say about MsPaint Adventures/ Homestuck in particular when someone asks you what you are reading/ laughing at/talking about?

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:57 am UTC

Spoiler:
Spades Slick is the version of Jack that is

A) From the Troll Session
B) From the future

Basically, after the trolls' world got blown up and troll-jack helped them exile their black queen, she turned around and got Jack exiled too, along with his various archagents. Jack became Spades Slick, his archagents became the rest of the Crew, and the black queen became Snowman.

Thus why, at the end of "Don't Bleed on the Suits", Spades/Jack finds a set of monitors in the basement and ends up looking down on Karkat. The characters from the midnight crew interlude eventually ended up acting as time-removed advisors for the trolls the same way the Aimless Renegade, Windswept Questant, and so forth ended up guiding the human kids.

It's also why Karkat thought he recognized Bec Noir when they met briefly. Even through all the prototyping, he recognized it as Jack, he just didn't realize that it wasn't his session's Jack.

They/them

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:37 am UTC

Spoiler:
Between the apparent 'Gamzee vs. remaining trolls' confrontation that's about to occur in the comic and the Snowman on the lime-green banner, I can say that I am very, very excited for the next set of updates.

I may be getting back into this comic again.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:48 am UTC

Has it been explained how the Zillyhoo (hammer) got... to their universe...s?

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

I assumed it was alchemized from the game item set independently in both places.

Also, god DAMNIT hussie..

Spoiler:
you actually made me kindof sad vriska died. What the hell

They/them

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:26 am UTC

Belial wrote:I assumed it was alchemized from the game item set independently in both places.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
My sadness at this event was mitigated by the morality of the Slick/Snowman sloppy hate makeouts and Doc Scratch's reaction to them.

It is so much fun to see something catch the smug omnipotent asshole freak out.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:58 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:
Belial wrote:I assumed it was alchemized from the game item set independently in both places.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
My sadness at this event was mitigated by the morality of the Slick/Snowman sloppy hate makeouts and Doc Scratch's reaction to them.

It is so much fun to see something catch the smug omnipotent asshole freak out.

Spoiler:
That, and also, necessary or not, true or not, I find Doc Scratch's constant "HERE ARE THINGS WHICH ARE GOING TO BE UNDONE IN AN HOUR OR TWO DID I MENTION THEY DON'T MATTER WELL HERE THEY ARE BY THE WAY IT IS ALL ABOUT TO BE UNDONE DID I MENTION THAT OH YEAH OK THEN" narration that was going on for so many, many panels to be... emotionally distancing. :/

But indeed, I have to agree, seeing that arrant liar rattled is always gonna steal the spotlight. ("Omniscient", my ass.) Even from probable potential maybe-deaths in this timeline that may or may not be undone in two hours. Grr, it's just distancing. :(

...Also, I hope this isn't going to turn into another "What, you thought she was dead?? LULZ U R A LUZER STOP BEING A PANSY" twist. It's... getting old. And needlessly hurtful. I'm rather tired of feeling like I'm being incessantly mocked for investing in the characters/storyline. Hopefully that isn't how it is.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:28 am UTC

The trolls' timeline isn't going to be reset, just the Earth humans'.

Also, I do not understand the just/heroic clock metaphor.

Spoiler:
HATE SNOG!

so... are the events we've been seeing in the top window preceding or an alternative to those in Don't Bleed on the Suits?

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:56 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Also, I do not understand the just/heroic clock metaphor.

If I had to spitball at it, I'd say that it possibly has to do with the fact that...

Spoiler:
Vriska's death was kindof time-sensitive. Depending on when she got aced, she could've been either justly executed (after her murders or just before she went off to face jack, when terezi killed her) or heroically sacrificed (after she went to face jack and redeem herself) and it was just a matter of timing. Meanwhile, John died at a point in his story that fit neither template, thus why the clock was square in the middle during his revival

Spoiler:
so... are the events we've been seeing in the top window preceding or an alternative to those in Don't Bleed on the Suits?

Spoiler:
They come after. Note jack's missing eye and robotic arm.

They/them

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:The trolls' timeline isn't going to be reset, just the Earth humans'.

They're really that discrete? Thus far the two timelines have seemed to be either tangled or a downright loop. I find it hard to visualize a reset of the kids' timeline having no effect on the trolls' at all. But, what I can visualize has nothing at all to do with the plot. >_> Unless the "Veil" is isolated from all outside effects...? Bluh, we'll see.

Oooh, also:
Spoiler:
If this is all secretly meant to make Spades Slick sympathetic, shit, it is working. XD GET THOSE GODDAMN CLOCKS, YOU CRAZY VICIOUS GANGSTER BASTARD. WOOOO! FIGHT THE POWER!!!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:33 am UTC

It's explained
Spoiler:
here and the following 3-5 pages. The trolls' timeline is affected, but not reset.

I'm going back through trying to figure out Jack/Spades/Bec Noire's chronology...
Here (in Act 3) he is as Jack Noire, not missing an arm and an eye dealing with John's Dad
Here is Spades Slick dealing with Problem Sleuth (in Secrets)
Midnight Crew is also what John sees when he [ur=http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002012]logs on to the website[/url]
Here is his explanation of events preceding the Don't Bleed on the Suits intermission: he "already offed CROWBAR (7), MATCHSTICKS (11), and QUARTERS (14)" but "No one knows what LORD ENGLISH looks like"
Here is Spades, injured, recognizing Karkat
There's also Spade's meeting with Lord English (with robot arm and white eyepatch, seen here (starting here) and again through the narrow fenestrated wall which also seems to feature the aformentioned offing of MATCHSTICKS (11), and QUARTERS (14)

Also, the one eye-one arm thing is pretty weird

And that's as far as I can get tonight.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

Spoiler:
cephalopod9 wrote:I'm going back through trying to figure out Jack/Spades/Bec Noire's chronology...
Here (in Act 3) he is as Jack Noire, not missing an arm and an eye dealing with John's Dad

While the rest of the points you chose for your timeline are troll-session Jack (aka Spades Slick who eventually becomes the guiding exile for karkat), this one is human-session Jack (aka the Sovereign Slayer, aka Bec Noir). Bear in mind that they're separate people, just spawned from the same template.

There's also Spade's meeting with Lord English (with robot arm and white eyepatch, seen here (starting here) and again through the narrow fenestrated wall which also seems to feature the aformentioned offing of MATCHSTICKS (11), and QUARTERS (14)

That's not Lord English, that's Dr Scratch. Who might be Lord English, or might not. Spades seems to assume he is, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Also, I think Hussie said something about that coin summoning quarters from any point in time/space, so him being dead doesn't really preclude him from showing up later.

They/them

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:42 am UTC

Belial wrote:That's not Lord English, that's Dr Scratch. Who might be Lord English, or might not. Spades seems to assume he is, but that doesn't really mean anything. [/spoiler]
I realized that after I posted, don't know why I got the names confused.

Edit>

It's good to keep in mind that the entire series is basically one giant trolling. (Have you seen what he's done to 'shipping'? there are now chars involved.)

Also, Karkat is sort of my favorite. Him and Terezi. They are the best.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

Terezi's my favorite troll. <3 Though Karkat is a close second, especially in cosplay form.
Spoiler:

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:47 am UTC

By the way, this has been a thing for a while and I hope you've all seen it before.

Spoiler:

In other news, I am impressed by the number of crazy things that are beginning to happen as we get closer to the end of the story.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:51 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:By the way, this has been a thing for a while and I hope you've all seen it before.

Spoiler:

Okay, that was frickin' awesome. XD

firinne

Postby firinne » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:56 pm UTC

Hey, any xkcd forumites doing Homestuck Shipping Olympics? It's the last day of signups, and even though the challenge is hardly underpopulated, I wanted to fish around for a more diverse pool of participants. Plus there are still some fairly small teams hanging around, and you know how much the universe loves one-in-a-million chances and so forth.

For those who haven't heard of it, it's a multishippy pairingfest that's running until the end of September. Requirements are pretty relaxed; one fanwork of any kind submitted to any one of the three main rounds. Team list here and signups here.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:13 am UTC

firinne wrote:Hey, any xkcd forumites doing Homestuck Shipping Olympics? It's the last day of signups, and even though the challenge is hardly underpopulated, I wanted to fish around for a more diverse pool of participants. Plus there are still some fairly small teams hanging around, and you know how much the universe loves one-in-a-million chances and so forth.

For those who haven't heard of it, it's a multishippy pairingfest that's running until the end of September. Requirements are pretty relaxed; one fanwork of any kind submitted to any one of the three main rounds. Team list here and signups here.

I've been considering it, but, I'm not much of a shipper, and less of a fan anymore, and I hate deadlines and teams and especially competition and the fandom scares me and I have other stuff I should be working on and... :(

...bluh. :/ Guess I know what I'll be fretting over for the next couple hours. >_<

firinne

Postby firinne » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:24 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
firinne wrote:Hey, any xkcd forumites doing Homestuck Shipping Olympics? It's the last day of signups, and even though the challenge is hardly underpopulated, I wanted to fish around for a more diverse pool of participants. Plus there are still some fairly small teams hanging around, and you know how much the universe loves one-in-a-million chances and so forth.

I've been considering it, but, I'm not much of a shipper, and less of a fan anymore, and I hate deadlines and teams and especially competition and the fandom scares me and I have other stuff I should be working on and... :(

...bluh. :/ Guess I know what I'll be fretting over for the next couple hours. >_<

Awww, it'll be okay. I haven't really been a huge participant in ~fandom events~ anywhere ever, but from everything the mods have said (and the way things have played out so far), it's all been very hugfesty and opposite-of-cutthroat. Course the popular ships will probably win because they have more members, but personally I'm doing it for fanwork-motivation and rarepair-promotion.

I dunno how this balances out against the the stuff you should be working on, and the weight of your negative experiences, but either way I hope you don't actually fret too much over this! It's just a silly funtiems thing, no biggie.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:41 am UTC

I know. I was considering it for a while because I like prompts (sometimes I can actually write those in one sitting rather than hammering at something ridiculously long for months), but, I think I've really been hesitating because the whole setup doesn't work for me at all. And I'm really not feeling like much of a fan these days at all. I've been angsting because I feel I ~should~ get all social with the fandom, but, fuck that.

Good luck!! :D :D

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:43 am UTC

I haven't even bothered to get into fanfiction... Reading fic is usually a nice bonus to a series, but there's enough canon to comprehend already. ._.

Has anyone seen any Homestuck cosplays? My friends who went to Otakon said there were a lot of great ones.
Spoiler:

(And some of these are really well done, imo.)

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:51 am UTC

Lol at sweet-bro and hella-jeff.

I am cracking up at the team comm/blog names.

Did any of the groups still need members?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

This is getting out of hand.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:This is getting out of hand.

Spoiler:
You mean the whole 'I'm sorry I gave your universe Cancer' thing?

firinne

Postby firinne » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:24 pm UTC

I only just got the double meaning of the latest update. Durr.

ameretrifle wrote:I know. I was considering it for a while because I like prompts (sometimes I can actually write those in one sitting rather than hammering at something ridiculously long for months), but, I think I've really been hesitating because the whole setup doesn't work for me at all. And I'm really not feeling like much of a fan these days at all. I've been angsting because I feel I ~should~ get all social with the fandom, but, fuck that.

Good luck!! :D :D

Yeah, fuck angst. Thanks (thangkst?) for the luck transfusion!

cephalopod9 wrote:I am cracking up at the team comm/blog names.

Did any of the groups still need members?

Punning is a noble art form, I'll have you know.

Yeah, several did, but IIRC none of them were gutwrenchingly close -- just one- or two-member teams, mostly.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:56 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
... Somehow it makes perfect sense that the universe has DNA.

And I'm betting John is significant somehow, since his nickname is no longer made of nucleotides.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:38 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:

Spoiler:
Huh? No, I mean the elaborate cosplay and sweeping fanfic competitions.

It's just not that good. I feel that this can be stated objectively.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:56 am UTC

Of course it's not that good, it's fanfiction. Especially when romance and sex get brought into it: horrors.
But it's inevitable, and the degree to which it was wonderfully anticipated within Homestuck itself makes it more than entertaining on multiple levels.

Or did you mean Homestuck itself? It depends on how your judging it, but it's a pretty impressive, and difficult to classify, work.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:26 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Or did you mean Homestuck itself?
Yeah.

The only thing missing is for Mr. Hussie to start injecting his political opinions. Considering that at this rate it's probably not going to end before next year's elections, that seems increasingly possible.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:39 am UTC

Then again, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magnic isn't that great either... (*Magic (I type the word "magnanimous" way too often.))

I think people are obsessing over Homestuck because 1) Problem Sleuth was awesome, 2) it's very avant-garde (not just the plot, but the execution--see House of Leaves), and 3) wide variety of characters appeals to a bigger audience. Just speculation.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:26 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Of course it's not that good, it's fanfiction. Especially when romance and sex get brought into it: horrors.

There's some out there that's considerably better than the comic. But some of it might have a little ~romance~, so I won't link to anything that might give you cooties. :P

While things don't really need to be "that good" for cosplay and fic competitions, I agree that the fandom, is, rather disproportionately virulent. XD

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:31 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:I agree that the fandom, is, rather disproportionately virulent. XD

On the one hand, I want to disagree with this because my own experiences within the fandom have been overwhelmingly positive and whenever I hear suggestions that Homestuck or the forums are bad I feel like I should dislike them both too.

On the other hand, I have seen one to many instances where a member of the forum has levied a complaint or criticism of the comic only to find themselves attacked, denounced and harassed by about 2/3d's of the forum population, regardless of how well thought out, potentially valid or in some cases legitimate that complaint may be. Given my otherwise positive experiences within the forums, I become incredibly upset whenever I'm confronted with one of these clusterfucks as they represent a particularly nasty side of the fandom where expressing an opinion that isn't 100% positive towards the comic is somehow a bad thing (although I've noticed that nowadays a lot of people seem to have severe problems with anyone who doesn't share their opinion to a 'T').

So I can totally see why you hold that viewpoint as I'm fairly sure that our experiences with the fandom have been entirely different.

Magnanimous wrote:Then again, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magnic isn't that great either... (*Magic (I type the word "magnanimous" way too often.))

I think people are obsessing over Homestuck because 1) Problem Sleuth was awesome, 2) it's very avant-garde (not just the plot, but the execution--see House of Leaves), and 3) wide variety of characters appeals to a bigger audience. Just speculation.

I can agree with this assessment; in my case it was #2 and #3 that drew me in (although it was more like I really liked the plot in the former case).

And finally...

Spoiler:
Is anyone else totally not surprised that Doc Scratch had a 13-year-old girl locked up in his house?

Edit

1) I put way to much time and effort into this post.

2) Aradia you are amazing.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:49 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:
ameretrifle wrote:I agree that the fandom, is, rather disproportionately virulent. XD

On the one hand, I want to disagree with this because my own experiences within the fandom have been overwhelmingly positive and whenever I hear suggestions that Homestuck or the forums are bad I feel like I should dislike them both too.

On the other hand, I have seen one to many instances where a member of the forum has levied a complaint or criticism of the comic only to find themselves attacked, denounced and harassed by about 2/3d's of the forum population, regardless of how well thought out, potentially valid or in some cases legitimate that complaint may be. Given my otherwise positive experiences within the forums, I become incredibly upset whenever I'm confronted with one of these clusterfucks as they represent a particularly nasty side of the fandom where expressing an opinion that isn't 100% positive towards the comic is somehow a bad thing (although I've noticed that nowadays a lot of people seem to have severe problems with anyone who doesn't share their opinion to a 'T').

So I can totally see why you hold that viewpoint as I'm fairly sure that our experiences with the fandom have been entirely different.
Oh, no, that isn't what I meant. Instead of virulent, I should've said, strongly attached? Maybe passionate? Though yeah, I have a tumblr now and have been witness to much batshittery as well. >_> But yeah, I agree, there's a whole lot of great people, too. Does it outweigh the crazy? That's totally subjective, and personally, I'm not sure I can say! I just tend to lurk at the edges because a) my interest has been, variable, recently anyway and b) crazy fandom squabbles stress me out, even if most people are on the right side of it.

Spoiler:
Is anyone else totally not surprised that Doc Scratch had a 13-year-old girl locked up in his house?
Spoiler:
Thoroughly unsurprised. Fucking Pedocue.

Also, fuck yeah Aradia. Throw those chairs! :D

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:58 am UTC

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:02 am UTC

@ Ameretrifle - That's cool, then.

And in regards to your Aradia based sentiment, several different types of awesomeness are going down tonight.

THROW THE TABLE NEXT!!!

Also, Mag, I've seen that before (I think) and yeah...

Still cool.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:31 am UTC

Ooh, on the topics of the latest update and gifs:
Spoiler:

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:58 am UTC

Last edited by Magnanimous on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

Spoiler:
And then Scratch casually took away her breathing privileges.

Don't let him do that, Aradia...:cry:

At the very least, we still have your awesome GIF, Ameretrifle.

And the question of where that spaceship is going and why.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:42 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Obligatory rendering of The Last Supper (warning, huge)
503 Service Temporarily Unavailable... Also, are all the trolls unicorns?

Does anyone know what "got tiger" is? I think it's probably limited to the Form Spring, but I'm curious if I missed something.
Also
Spoiler:
Did Hussie ascend togod-tier?
Is he Fedora Freak? I don't think so, but also, why is PipeFan bright blue?

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”