MS Paint Adventures thread

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Re: MS Paint Adventures thread

Postby Jorpho » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Those were the fan trolls getting immolated thar.
http://cheezburger.com/7121987584

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:08 am UTC

This is the guy who created Nektan, by the way.
Spoiler:
@ Jimmy - I'm single, have paid off all my school loans, my car, and I'm deployed in Afghanistan. Homestuck is one of the few things that brightens my days, and money is meant to be spent, otherwise it wouldn't be a very good currency. Also, I've never actually had a fantroll before, so who wants to name this guy? Also, he might not actually be what I put up to Hussie.
@everyone I am fully aware that Nectan is doomed, doomed, doomed. This was never a thing that was in doubt. Also, while I expected there to be some fuss, I didn't expect all this fuss. On that topic, I am flattered and somewhat astonished that people are making fannart.
At the risk of causing more drama (oh who am I kidding, my first post acknowledging that I was the god tier was specifically phrased to create drama), the original incarnation of Nektan Whelan was done with a fantroll generator, powerpoint and mspaint. As such it was very generic. Several (wonderful, considerate and talented) people offered to help take the basic idea that was Nektan and mold him into a more unique chap. His bio was created over a night's guard shift, and was streamlined into something a little more readable and fitting with known canon. All changes done to the sprite and his bio were either directly requested by myself or rewritten by myself. After initially posting his bio to the troll slum, I wandered about in it, and found that I was not the only one who had thought about using an Irish water deity's name and that particular Neptune symbol for a sea dwelling troll. Since that person's Nectan was there first, I made a few minor alterations. His name is now spelled differently, and his symbol is still one of Neptune, just another one. I just didn't think that *my* Nectan should overshadow theirs.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:30 am UTC

1. How long has he been planning the Pool thing
2. HOW LONG HAS HE BEEN PLANNING THE LUCKY CHARMS THING
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

I hate that there's no convenient index for some of these things.

What was with the mural on the wall of John's dad's room?

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

The burning question I was left with was why (and indeed, how) is John such a fucking moron, but that's probably unanswerable, and moreover will turn out to be a vital key to the plot instead of (or just in addition to) being an incredibly stupid fuckup.

(i didn't want to love meenah but i dooooo)

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I hate that there's no convenient index for some of these things.

What was with the mural on the wall of John's dad's room?

Murals (on the 4th wall) were a running joke, the earliest I know of it, was near the start of Problem Sleuth. http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=4&p=000258

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

Yes, I remember that, but I was thinking of this specific mural. http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki ... d.27s_room says it's Cirque de Soleil's "O". Of course it shows up in http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001971 , but I guess it was never properly dissected.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

The current update-rage makes me a bit weary. Usually I don't have any problem following up on webcomics or other media, but is it just me or is Homestuck becoming a bit tiresome? I heard the comic will be finished within the year, so there's definitely pressure to solve all the loose threads (and really, so far not very many threads have been resolved at all). However pure volume is a poor solution to do this. I think it'd be smarter to make fewer, but more impactfull updates. I'm going to just sit this one out and catch up on a rainy weekend.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

I thought Spades Slick's recent adventures were hilarious... But the thing going on right now with John is a little weird. I think I'll apply my Doctor Who approach and have faith that everything will come together awesomely at the series finale.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:23 am UTC

I like the current pace of updates. Stuff is actually happening! It's even vaguely comprehensive! I'll take this over endless flash-based blathering about alternate universe trolls any day.

I don't know if he's actually trying to start wrapping things up, but I reckon he's at least trying to keep to a schedule for something eventful for the anniversary next week. Although the last-minute introduction of magical rings and other artifacts readily brings to mind the clumsy conclusion of Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Although the last-minute introduction of magical rings and other artifacts readily brings to mind the clumsy conclusion of Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber.

Agreed, I do like the artifacts but they should've been inconspicuously introduced earlier. The whole Neverending Story/AURYN thing going on seems like it'll set up a good ending though.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

I declare the new flash to be epic, full of action and with a spectacular entrance at the end!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

I concur. It was hilarious.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

I don't like brainwashing plots:/

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

Me neither. They either end invariably without serious consequences for the heroes or the villain has to somehow lose the advantage hir gained from the mind-control., so it doesn't completely screw up the power balance. And both simply waste time better spent. *cough* trickster mode *cough*

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

I was with you until "trickster mode", which, the last time it was implemented, was a bloody brainwashing plot, of a marginally different stripe. To each their own.

Also, my main gripe around now is more how I am thoroughly sick of John and his stupid face and his complete blindness to reality and his being an awful friend and an annoying person and his continued importance to people (because he's the best friendleader who ever failed to actually lead anything and is actually not a very great friend) and to the plot (for no reason we've yet been made aware of other than he's enough of a stupid jerk to do stupid irresponsible jerk things). Granted, it's Homestuck, I'm sure there will be half a dozen reasons for it all five or six plot twists from now, but at the moment, I am so damn sick of his stupid ass.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Yeah, that was what I meant, trickster mode being a stupid time-wasting brainwashing plot. Sorry for the confusing grammar.
Anyway, my main gripe is that the entire mess of plots and threads is starting to wear ever so thin and more importantly: The pace is just so unbearingly slow. I don't want people talking about what they will be doing, other people talking about what they think other people will be doing and even more people doing things that don't solve or progress anything.1 Wasn't the arrival of the comet supposed to force the progression into hyperdrive? I want Homestuck to end and I want it to end properly, not getting gnarlier and turning into a spaghetti-like ball of half-assed story threads. There's only so much value you can squeeze out of a concept. Any you want a nice wash of lemon juice to end the work, before the lemon is dry.

Anyway, rant is over. I guess it's good that I care about Homestuck enough, that this makes me slightly agiated over it.

1 That stagnation started long before the comet arrived.

Edit: And now I realised the funny phrasing "the arrival of the comet". Thanks, Avatar, for ruining my vocabulary.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Oh, well in that case, I'm with you all the way.

(stupid trickster mode, i guess we got some cherub psychology out of it and calliope got more complicated but i am glad it is over and it i hope it never happens again)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:02 am UTC

I hope the final battle will be a Problem Sleuthian absurdly long sequence that keeps getting more ridiculous. If it's just one flash (even a long one), I'll be a little disappointed.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:35 am UTC

I'm afraid it will probably be more incomprehensible Flash. Perhaps another pointlessly long video game sequence.

raudorn wrote:Anyway, my main gripe is that the entire mess of plots and threads is starting to wear ever so thin and more importantly: The pace is just so unbearingly slow. I don't want people talking about what they will be doing, other people talking about what they think other people will be doing and even more people doing things that don't solve or progress anything.1 Wasn't the arrival of the comet supposed to force the progression into hyperdrive? I want Homestuck to end and I want it to end properly, not getting gnarlier and turning into a spaghetti-like ball of half-assed story threads. There's only so much value you can squeeze out of a concept. Any you want a nice wash of lemon juice to end the work, before the lemon is dry.
I had really been hoping that with all this time away, Hussie would come back swinging with a tightly-plotted story moving efficiently from one point to the next, but... I guess that's not going to happen.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

He posted 19 pages in the past two weeks.

I guess he kind of set himself up for that rate of output to feel unsatisfactory.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:29 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:He posted 19 pages in the past two weeks.

I guess he kind of set himself up for that rate of output to feel unsatisfactory.

To be fair, though, volume of pages is not the exact same thing as plot progression. I haven't seen complaints here that he's not updating enough, I've seen complaints that the plot isn't moving quickly enough, and those simply are not at all the same thing.

...Unless you're not reacting to the thread, but complaining that you personally feel that rate of output is unsatisfactory. In which case, yeah, really did kinda set himself up for it, didn't he?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:40 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:He posted 19 pages in the past two weeks.

To be fair, though, volume of pages is not the exact same thing as plot progression. I haven't seen complaints here that he's not updating enough, I've seen complaints that the plot isn't moving quickly enough, and those simply are not at all the same thing.
Precisely. The volume is fairly impressive, but he seems to be in no greater hurry to get things done.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:22 am UTC

So now this is a thing:
http://cheezburger.com/7677235200

It's cool that Namco is supporting all these webcomic authors. But I for one shudder at the thought of playing a dating sim with dialog written the way Homestuck has been written. Maybe it'll work out if he has a decent editor working with him.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:22 am UTC

I shudder at the thought of playing a dating sim, period. Maybe if the dialogue was written by Clive Barker or something.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:It's cool that Namco is supporting all these webcomic authors. But I for one shudder at the thought of playing a dating sim with dialog written the way Homestuck has been written. Maybe it'll work out if he has a decent editor working with him.

Eh, as someone who is unafraid to criticize Andrew Hussie, and as someone who has played/read LPs of a fair number of dating sims, I've got to say IMO it would be an improvement.

...And now I just want to link to the Bro Strider/Grandpa Harley fangame. Which is actually pretty awesome.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Eh his dialogue can be okay, as long as it isn't one of the long rambling ones, which only shows how weird a character is. Though Hussie seems to love that.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:46 am UTC

The rambling dialogue is why one of my favorite characters is glasses.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:32 am UTC

PeteP wrote:Eh his dialogue can be okay, as long as it isn't one of the long rambling ones, which only shows how weird a character is. Though Hussie seems to love that.

Sure, but consider the competition here. El Psy Congroo.

...The more I think about it, the more it seems a match made in heaven/hell. I don't think there's any complaint I've seen about Hussie's style that isn't in VNs, dialed up to 11. Weird typing quirks, nyan? Such is the will of Steins;Gate. Crazy time travel/parallel worlds? Even if you don't count alternate game paths, a ton of the most popular VNs explicitly deal with time loops and parallel worlds and shit. Fourth wall madness? Try Ever 17. Killing off characters? Hahaha, oh yeah. Overly lengthy dialogue? Eh, maybe not as often, but I'll take it over clunky creepy first-person any day. I guess I haven't seen quadrants implemented yet but it's not the furthest stretch of the underlying mechanics/tropes.

...Anyway, the last few panels have made me really miss WV (and PM, and AR...). Sure, he's there, but he's completely mute, and serving only as a foil, when we know damn well he can type and that there are keyboards on that thing. Yeah, he has mayoral aspirations and likes making towns out of cans, but he also nearly got killed and spent untold ages wandering a desert planet and led a fricking revolution, which failed miserably, and of the few people he's met since, two are dead and one is missing. And now he's on this ridiculous ship with a bunch of strange children, a couple of whom were royalty to him at some point. And what do we get from all this? Can town mk II. The exiles have always been underused, but god damn.

Evil Jade is this weird combination of obviously herself (with her own memories and mannerisms and motivations) and brainwashed-evil that doesn't really make sense to me yet. And I find the glitch stuff more and more tedious, and I barely liked AR before he became fused with Equius (I still think the fused-sprites are kind of horrifying abominations unto god and I hate that they exist because it's just wrong as fuck on about half a dozen levels, and I never liked Equius much, and the combination of their obsessions is just, I skimmed the fuck over that because no). I've got to agree that the plot needs to move faster, because I realllly want different things to be happening.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:30 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
PeteP wrote:Eh his dialogue can be okay, as long as it isn't one of the long rambling ones, which only shows how weird a character is. Though Hussie seems to love that.

Sure, but consider the competition here. El Psy Congroo.

http://whynasu.tumblr.com/ this competition? (Okay I like nasu even if he repeats the words "this chair" for a whole page, but his sex scenes can be weird at times.^^)

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:48 am UTC

That's enough! I can't take anymore of your shitty story! It's so ugly and stupid and it's making me so mad!

Is this John talking about Caliborn or Hussie talking about himself? I can't tell.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 am UTC

For some reason I decided to check in today, and something seems to be happening.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:21 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:For some reason I decided to check in today, and something seems to be happening.

It seems like there will be regular updates again. Today/yesterday there was another longish flash with lots of stuff happening (Act 6 Part 6 Intermission 3 or something), so the comic's picking up momentum again. The problem being, that I have no clue what in the world is going on. I completely forgot what was happening and why who is where doing what to whom. Wasn't there something with a comet? At least I remember John (?) zipping around the multiverse or something. I really don't want to read the entire comic again, I suppose I have find a synopsis somewhere.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:10 am UTC

If you can find a coherent synopsis, please do post where you found it.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:05 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:If you can find a coherent synopsis, please do post where you found it.

This is a pretty good summary. http://www.reddit.com/r/homestuck/comme ... pening_in/

It feels so weird to get updates in my RSS feed again.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:32 am UTC

One thing that I'd completely forgotten about that that thread reminded me of: Holy shit, Dad's still around.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:23 am UTC

Dad's going to be the only character alive at the end. He'll be like Hodor sitting on the iron throne.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:33 am UTC

It's back again.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu May 07, 2015 6:57 am UTC

Bah, I barely know what's going on anymore. Maybe I should just give up.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu May 07, 2015 7:27 am UTC

I'm like 80% sure I know what's happening. At any rate, the current conversations between the kids are really fun.

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”