MS Paint Adventures thread

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Re: MS Paint Adventures thread

Postby Jorpho » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:36 am UTC

Regarding the most recent set of updates: was the death of Calliope's dream self explicitly shown somewhere, or is this something else that will be revealed later (along with presumably how Caliborn got into the medium with just a cruxtruder)?

3fj

Postby 3fj » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:37 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Regarding the most recent set of updates: was the death of Calliope's dream self explicitly shown somewhere, or is this something else that will be revealed later (along with presumably how Caliborn got into the medium with just a cruxtruder)?

Unless I managed to miss that as well, I think so.

I love these new updates. I'm hoping we find out who's trolling him, and it turns out to be Ms. Paint or something. I also like that we're getting an insight into why he loves multicoloured all-caps so much. I'm assuming it's because he takes on the colours of people he's killed into his text.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:04 am UTC

I would have said it was definitely Ms Paint, until s/he said s/he wasn't his Exile. Because Ms Paint as Caliborn's exile fits quite nicely.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

My money's been on Hussie, from the beginning really, but especially after the last couple pages.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

Today's update was amazing. And why I love this comic so much.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:23 am UTC

Agreed, though today's included the phrase "Skeletal lips" which is still making my skin crawl.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:08 pm UTC

I began reading Homestuck a week ago to see what all the fuzz was about. Now that I caught up to the most recent update, I've risked a look into the forum on MSPA. Ugh, never again. From the sample of topics I read, it seemed like a hostile, more than just slightly immature place.
I like the complexity of the plot, but really only the dynamic complexity with the time loops and all that jazz. However, I think HS could, if it were rewritten, really lose some of the structural complexity. When the ancestors were introduced I just couldn't be bothered to care about them anymore. If some characters would just. stay. dead.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:44 am UTC

raudorn wrote:I began reading Homestuck a week ago to see what all the fuzz was about. Now that I caught up to the most recent update, I've risked a look into the forum on MSPA. Ugh, never again. From the sample of topics I read, it seemed like a hostile, more than just slightly immature place.
I like the complexity of the plot, but really only the dynamic complexity with the time loops and all that jazz. However, I think HS could, if it were rewritten, really lose some of the structural complexity. When the ancestors were introduced I just couldn't be bothered to care about them anymore. If some characters would just. stay. dead.

I mentally place the end of Homestuck at [S] Cascade, plus an as yet unwritten short epilogue. Treating A6 as some unrelated bonus material so I don't get upset about some very poor decisions (third set of 12 trolls, erotic fanfiction, incredibly boring dialogue between the four new people).

The forum is exactly as you describe, split between the people who will praise whatever Hussie or the Team does, and the people who get way too much into it with theorising or shipping.

Do you like the soundtrack?
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 am UTC

There's just too much soundtrack at this point. If there was one person behind it, then maybe there would be something neatly structured, with clever variations on recurring themes made more poignant through repetition. I suppose the advantage to doing things this way is that everyone gets to have their say, but everyone's contribution is also diluted to the point of meaninglessness.

I am deeply fond of this one track, but I don't think it has ever actually shown up in Homestuck (and at this rate it probably never will).

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

The soundtrack is ok. Nothing to swoon over, but a really nice touch considering the medium (I'm used to webcomics being as silent as a winter's night in the Taiga). With one exception: The music of this particular flash is so amazing, I could and have listen to it for hours. I gotta look on which volume it is and throw my money at it.

By the way: What is it with this incredibly defensive somewhat aggressive stance the fans have? I'm perfectly fine with them telling me that HS is the hottest stuff since laser-sliced bread, but I could do without them telling my that my slice is moldy and stinks.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:16 pm UTC

I'm in love with Harlequin in all it's forms (the simplest version is here)

As for the rest of the homestuck community, I don't interact with them. Not on principle or anything, I've just never wanted to poke my head in there. Looks like I made the right decision.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

I might venture that perhaps they need to justify to themselves the amount of time and energy they've invested in in this far, particularly in the face of how thoroughly off-the-rails it has gone?

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:06 pm UTC

ianfort wrote:In case you haven't heard, PBS Idea Channel just did a video on Homestuck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLK7RI_HW-E

Jorpho wrote:I might venture that perhaps they need to justify to themselves the amount of time and energy they've invested in in this far, particularly in the face of how thoroughly off-the-rails it has gone?

I guess you are refering to this? :wink:
But yeah, if you like something and others don't like that something quite as much or rather don't make that much fuss about it, that difference is already a spark for conflict. I certainly like HS and it is a lenghty read, but it doesn't score any TOP3 records in either category. And I suppose people express their interests veeery differently. By media consumption I outrank everyone I know by a solid margin and orders of magnitude in some cases. But you won't know that by how I express myself.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:32 am UTC

I only interact with the fandom on Tumblr, and they don't seem too aggressive there... But I haven't been to the MSPA forums.

And no, I wouldn't really say Homestuck is the best webcomic in anything except genre-breaking.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:04 am UTC

Say, I don't suppose there are any worthy parodies out there yet, are there?

Of course it has always had imitators, and I'm sure by now there are great monuments to the burning hatred some people feel for all things Hussie, but are there quality, essentially good-natured parodies yet? Homestuck Slightly Worse, if you will?

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:14 am UTC

There's a lot of 'alternate universe' takes on it. Not parodies exactly, but somewhat worse versions of Homestuck is pretty accurate.
I've only looked into Promstuck, which is the exact same characters doing a lot of the same things, but in high school and more relationship drama of sorts.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:53 am UTC

For some reason the newest fad on Tumblr is Ke$hastuck, which seems to just be drawing talksprites for random musicians...

There's also Prequel, which is kind of an Elder Scrolls/MSPA crossover...?

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:47 pm UTC

Regarding the newest Update:

This a prime example of something about HS that I simultaneously like and mildly dislike. I think this little story-in-a-story-in-a-highly-self-referential-webcomic serves the purpose of giving us a glimpse of Roxy's inner workings. Which I like. Unless it isn't, in which case I dislike a pointless sidetrack that leads nowhere and only induces almost inaudible chuckles. Time will tell.

Oh and talking about fanfiction (of sorts), any recommendations of MSPFA? I kind of enjoyed Heinoustuck, although it's rather short yet.

Edit: Just finished reading Prequel. Good stuff. Thanks, Magnanimous!

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:59 am UTC

raudorn wrote:Regarding the newest Update:

This a prime example of something about HS that I simultaneously like and mildly dislike. I think this little story-in-a-story-in-a-highly-self-referential-webcomic serves the purpose of giving us a glimpse of Roxy's inner workings. Which I like. Unless it isn't, in which case I dislike a pointless sidetrack that leads nowhere and only induces almost inaudible chuckles. Time will tell.

It is a proto-Homestuck, a story Andrew wrote a long time before his other projects. A lot of the style, characters (Eridan, most obviously) and parody elements are from it. Possibly this was the only way he felt comfortable sharing it.

Complacency of the Learned, Rose's wizardfic, took four acts to become story relevant but it definitely was. I think Cascade especially proves that when it comes to tying up loose ends in spectacular plot resolution you can rely on Hussie.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:32 am UTC

Wait, does that mean I have to read that hot pink hot mess?

:/

...I'll just look it up on Tumblr if it becomes relevant, I'm sure there will be ten or twelve posts getting reblogged explaining the references.

(I tried to read it. I just. Couldn't. I like Roxy and I'm interested in her but god damn.)

RE: MSPAFA, I haven't been on that subforum in forever. I did post some of my favorites in here a while back, but I couldn't tell you if the links even still work. Should check back sometime. Just in case it's of interest:
Spoiler:
ameretrifle wrote:Completed:
The Attackening: Revengeance-Fun, cute, action, catboys, Tom Waits fighting cultist zombies-- ridiculous in all the best ways.
Alanna--very well-written dark suspense/fantasy.
Mutewood-- mindscrewy horror classic.
Purpose Quest -- Escape-the-room game!
The Rose Ring-- Fractured fairytale noir-cop story, humorous and horrific by turns. Wow, summaries are hard.

Ongoing:
Her Name Was Alia-- Oddly philosophical adventure about a small dark creature, a girl, and the meaning of life. Great art, too.
Leak-- fun fantasy about an adorable cesium elemental. Also good art.
Complexity 101--a mysterious building filled with ever-more-difficult puzzles. I still want to know what happens ;D
.Memoria-- an amnesiac dark creature and his friendbuddylackeynew acquaintance. A good heart, dark fantasy plot, and a sense of humor that's not afraid to be a bit offbeat.
Lucky Cookie-- hard to describe properly without spoiling some of the plot...Starts off with you trapped in a building. Nicely RPG-y.
A Potted Plant by the Window-- the adventures of a venus flytrap and his spider friend. Fun and sweet. And Vinny is adorable.

That took quite a bit of effort so go and check something out, dammit. ;) And there are probably a lot of good ones I missed, too-- some of these are widely known classics, some are just ones that appeal to my particular taste. Also, I don't have the time to go plunging TOO deep into the archives. >_> (Careers in Religion, Crystal Rave, Threnody...) So, anyone else got a list? And remember to look around for yourself! Even some never-finished ones are worth reading (particularly if the author summarized the direction the story would've taken in the end...). There's textventures and action and scifi and.......

Oh, and Ruby Quest and Storytime of Epicness are a couple notable offsite examples I remember.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:56 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:It is a proto-Homestuck, a story Andrew wrote a long time before his other projects. A lot of the style, characters (Eridan, most obviously) and parody elements are from it. Possibly this was the only way he felt comfortable sharing it.
I'd ask about where to find it, but I already sorely regret having knowledge of Hussie's animal paintings.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:46 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Game_boy wrote:It is a proto-Homestuck, a story Andrew wrote a long time before his other projects. A lot of the style, characters (Eridan, most obviously) and parody elements are from it. Possibly this was the only way he felt comfortable sharing it.
I'd ask about where to find it, but I already sorely regret having knowledge of Hussie's animal paintings.

It wasn't up before now. We only knew about it from a Formspring answer.

tin.au

Postby tin.au » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:36 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qb73egub5qxur0x

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

If I'm reading it right, Engage Trickster mode is the creepiest thing that Hussie has done so far. Hands down. It looks like she's still Jane!regular under there, trapped in a mind-controlled bod (See "WHY", "WHEEEE?, etc.)

Though it's quite possible that's just Hussie's self-deprecation coming out again and I'm reading too much into it.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm pretty sure the fused sprites are still worse. Probably a difficult determination to make, though. May or may not change my mind when I actually see it.

(despite the apologizers being all "OH LOOK IT WAS JUST A JOKE WHY ARE YOU SO FREAKED??" when people were creeped out by tavriska. well look now you tools it was not a one-time joke and not a one-time thing so who's laughing now oh right still you siiigh)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

I like how we've finally moved into sub-sub-acts.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:11 am UTC

3fj wrote:If I'm reading it right, Engage Trickster mode is the creepiest thing that Hussie has done so far. Hands down. It looks like she's still Jane!regular under there, trapped in a mind-controlled bod (See "WHY", "WHEEEE?, etc.)

Though it's quite possible that's just Hussie's self-deprecation coming out again and I'm reading too much into it.

I got a sense of more of an out-of-control-power-trip breach of sanity rather than a mental takeover situation.
Then again, Caliborn looked a little too pleased.

haha, oh man, the new skin tone is all kinds of unnerving.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

3fj wrote:If I'm reading it right, Engage Trickster mode is the creepiest thing that Hussie has done so far.
This can only mean you didn't see the animal pictures. Please do not go looking for the animal pictures.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:14 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:

He reverted it. It's now "peachy". He has two blogs worth of excuses that he didn't do it due to racism pressure, which proves that he did.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:52 am UTC

I feel like that update would've been better if it had also confirmed that normal Jane is a woman of color (something like "oh god why did you turn caucasian"). Trickster mode turning everyone caucasian would still be a nod towards some fans' concerns of whitewashing (and whitewashing in general) and it lines up with Lil' Cal being peachy, and it still keeps the aracial thing going on.

I was actually surprised that some people thought it was Hussie saying "just kidding about keeping everyone race-neutral, Jane's white ahahaha". Everything else about her changed, so...

Anyway, CAUCASIAN made me burst out laughing but I actually really like PEACHY too. She's peachy keen!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

I thought it was originally a sort of fourth wall leaning joke about the previously intentionally indeterminate ethnicity of the characters.

Now it feels like there's an additional meta layer joke at the expense of people who completely failed to grasp the previous joke.

The original CAUCASIAN punchline sort of skirted some borders in that the nature of the trickster status hasn't been explained yet, and could sorta read as revealing that Jane is white, instead of transforming her peach colored. It would be sort of problematic for Hussie to have gone on about the characters not having a specified ethnicity, and then make a joke of them having been white all along, but that's a sort of strained reading of the material.
Jane's clearly not herself, and Jake's horrified reaction further identifies this as out of the ordinary.
Both versions of the joke are made more hilarious by how Hussie draws his white self as squash colored.

haha, oh, there are way more people complaining about accusations of racism than actual accusations of racism. Hussie pretty clearly states that he changed it because of the former.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
3fj wrote:If I'm reading it right, Engage Trickster mode is the creepiest thing that Hussie has done so far. Hands down. It looks like she's still Jane!regular under there, trapped in a mind-controlled bod (See "WHY", "WHEEEE?, etc.)

I got a sense of more of an out-of-control-power-trip breach of sanity rather than a mental takeover situation.
Then again, Caliborn looked a little too pleased.

I think that would make more sense if Jake didn't turn Trickster at her influence too. If it was just a case of being super-fucking godly all the sudden, then I don't get why Jake would also suddenly be a super godly and they'd be in constant OMGBABIESLOL mode.
Jorpho wrote:
3fj wrote:If I'm reading it right, Engage Trickster mode is the creepiest thing that Hussie has done so far.
This can only mean you didn't see the animal pictures. Please do not go looking for the animal pictures.

Probably going to regret this... What animals?

tin.au

Postby tin.au » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

3fj

Postby 3fj » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

I find that far less disturbing, maybe just cause it's supposed to just be a visual gross-out. Different strokes, I suppose.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:59 am UTC

Spoiler:
Dirk is so depressed and fucked up that even becoming a Trickster couldn't cheer him up. Wow.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Spoiler:
Dirk is so depressed and fucked up that even becoming a Trickster couldn't cheer him up. Wow.

Spoiler:
Especially considering that given the explanation/hangover, it was basically magical sugary drugs.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

It seems like... Jack's back!

Okay, lame pun, but awesome knife stabbing ahead! Man the cannons! Ahoy! I'll stop now!

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:

He reverted it. It's now "peachy". He has two blogs worth of excuses that he didn't do it due to racism pressure, which proves that he did.

um actually if you read his blogs you'd know he did it for the opposite reason

people who were all for racial equality and shit like that said absolutely nothing about it but got completely blasted by the homestuck fandom who thought that they would

hussie took the joke down because actual racists started using 'it's just a joke' as an excuse to harass people who never said anything

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Anyway, I love that Dave and Karkat are back. :D

KARKAT: STAND BY. I'M PUTTING YOU ON SPEAKER CRAB.
DAVE: speaker crab
KARKAT: YES. SPEAKER CRAB.
DAVE: man dont put me on speaker crab

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:05 am UTC

I reckon now that it's been established that sprites can explode, somehow Jade will be overcome by dividing the dog and dream-self components of her sprite-self, resulting in Bec chasing around GCat, but of course it won't affect Jack because of reasons. Or something.

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”