The Eternals - Neil Gaiman

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Dakun
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

The Eternals - Neil Gaiman

Postby Dakun » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

Has anyone else read this? Read Von Däniken's book Chariots of the Gods on which this is losely based?

Not that I subscribe to this particular origin of life theory - but Chariots is a very interesting concept, and Eternals (a 2006 graphic novel) is Fantastic...

-Jamie
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

User avatar
JayDee
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 am UTC
Location: Most livable city in the world.
Contact:

Re: The Eternals - Neil Gaiman

Postby JayDee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:07 am UTC

I quite enjoyed Gaiman's miniseries - John Romita, Jr. did a fantastic job on the art. The two page dream scene in the first issue was what convinced me to pick it up. I haven't bothered with the new ongoing, though, or the original Kirby series.

It's so rare to hear Von Däniken mentioned and not being ridiculed. Is he really the big precedent for 'Aliens gave technology to people'?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

User avatar
Dakun
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

Re: The Eternals - Neil Gaiman

Postby Dakun » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:08 am UTC

The 2006 graphic novel (not miniseries I don't think...) also starts with the Celestials returning in Mark Curry's dream at the start... not sure if they are the same thing, but the whole book was just fantastic in it's art and very entertaining in the storyline.

From the introduction to the Graphic novel I have:

"The alien visitation was Von Daniken's thesis, but not his invention. Truth to tell no one seems to know who came up with it... Sometime in the forties however, a fellow named Jack Kirby read about it in some magazine, and it intrigued him"

In 68 Von Daniken published the book "Chariots of the Gods? - Unsolved Mysteries of the Past" in an attempt to PROVE this actually happened. I think that's why he was / is ridiculed. He puts out of a lot of ideas that are interesting, or hard to explain, or in fact nearly in-explicable... which is fine, but claiming the "Gods" of our myths, and the reason Egyptians / Mayans / Easter Islanders, etc had their technology was alien intervention, is a leap of faith that most aren't willing to take.

Regardless - I think it's a possibility that the 'god' of creation could have been some alien race, just as easily as I can believe in an all-powerful being and an afterlife.... no proof for either one, so both are interesting.
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

User avatar
JayDee
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 am UTC
Location: Most livable city in the world.
Contact:

Re: The Eternals - Neil Gaiman

Postby JayDee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Dakun wrote:The 2006 graphic novel (not miniseries I don't think...) also starts with the Celestials returning in Mark Curry's dream at the start... not sure if they are the same thing.
Yeah, it's the same thing. Seven part miniseries later collected into a Trade Paperback / Graphic Novel.

I've always loved the idea of gods and angels and so on being explained by extra-terrestials. By the time I was a kid, there were plenty of books on the subject. Aztec myth especially - carvings of gods look just like men in space suits! Maybe I should give Däniken a shot. I doubt it is anymore worthy of ridicule than all the stuff I read when I was young.

I'm not sure how I felt about the Eternals being part of the Marvel Universe. I got the impression they would work better as a stand alone thing, in a world with no other capes. While I liked the scenes in Gaiman's Eternals well enough - it had some of what I think are my favourite Civil War / SHRA tie ins / shout outs - it doesn't seem right to have both a giant Celestial and the X-Men there in San Fransisco.

I did really like how casual Ikaris was about the Intelligent Design thing. "Oh no, this isn't just something I believe, I remember it. I was there when it happened."
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

User avatar
Dakun
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

Re: The Eternals - Neil Gaiman

Postby Dakun » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
Dakun wrote:The 2006 graphic novel (not miniseries I don't think...) also starts with the Celestials returning in Mark Curry's dream at the start... not sure if they are the same thing.
Yeah, it's the same thing. Seven part miniseries later collected into a Trade Paperback / Graphic Novel.


Ah - the Graphic Novel has 7 Chapters, so makes sense :)

JayDee wrote: I've always loved the idea of gods and angels and so on being explained by extra-terrestials. By the time I was a kid, there were plenty of books on the subject. Aztec myth especially - carvings of gods look just like men in space suits! Maybe I should give Däniken a shot. I doubt it is anymore worthy of ridicule than all the stuff I read when I was young.


I think you should - just his first book (Chariots - i heard the later ones got really compulsive / strange) He mentions stuff like the Aztec god drawings, Easter Isle, Egyptian Pyramids, Nazca Lines, and a lot of bible theory stuff. It's 40 years old now, and I haven't done the research to see if any of his stuff has been disproved, but it's fun to look at this from a perspective that attempts to 'prove' the theory.

JayDee wrote: I'm not sure how I felt about the Eternals being part of the Marvel Universe. I got the impression they would work better as a stand alone thing, in a world with no other capes. While I liked the scenes in Gaiman's Eternals well enough - it had some of what I think are my favourite Civil War / SHRA tie ins / shout outs - it doesn't seem right to have both a giant Celestial and the X-Men there in San Fransisco.


Agreed, doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's funny when they step in and are like "You can't fight it, you can't even hurt it, it's not an alien spaceship, it's a god type stuff" or when Iron man makes them 'pick sides' in the Marvel Civil war and they are like "If you saw two groups of children arguing over a corner of the playground, would you get involved?"
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: The Eternals - Neil Gaiman

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

The Eternals, as originally created by Jack Kirby, were intended to be off in their own universe unrelated to the Marvel U. Well, editorial at the time decided that wasn't good enough, so they were eventually shoe-horned in, so they've never really fit in too well.

User avatar
Dakun
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

Re: The Eternals - Neil Gaiman

Postby Dakun » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

Has anything been published since the Graphic Novel / Compilation?

~Jamie
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: The Eternals - Neil Gaiman

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

There's an ongoing series being published, written by the Knaufs, I believe, with art by Daniel Acuna (whose work is very well-fitting). It's interesting, but not as good as the mini.

~Jamie

User avatar
KOSMOSX7
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:58 am UTC
Location: New York, NY

Re: The Eternals - Neil Gaiman

Postby KOSMOSX7 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

I haven't read Eternals. I'm not sure if it's worth reading. I'm only here because this is the *one* active thread where the OP's managed to spell Neil Gaiman's name correctly.

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: The Eternals - Neil Vaughan

Postby Jesse » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

Not anymore. Bwahaha. -Jesse

User avatar
KOSMOSX7
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:58 am UTC
Location: New York, NY

Re: The Eternals - Neil Gaiman

Postby KOSMOSX7 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:53 pm UTC

Heh, I sure asked for that one.

Too bad it's over now. And methinks the genius who came up with substituting "omniloathe" for "hate" deserves a cookie.

EDIT - ...oh wow, "omniloathe" is from 8-bit? How I miss the days when that comic was still (sub)culturally relevant!


Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests