Flashpoint, or, A giant DC "What If?"

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Flashpoint, or, A giant DC "What If?"

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu May 12, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

My favorite comic (The Flash) has been pushing this for a little while now. The first first issue of this event came out yesterday, and it shows an interesting world, where spoilers follow:
Spoiler:
among other things, Aben Sur is the Green Lantern still, Thomas Wayne is Batman, after Bruce was killed in a back alley, Atlantians sank western Europe, the Amazons conquered Britain, among other things

I know its mostly cheap tricks and an excuse for a big crossover event. But since it seems to be absolutely self-contained, I think I will continue reading it. Anyways, any thoughts on these things? Obviously more will follow as more issues come out.
418 I'm a teapot

Endless Mike

Re: Flashpoint, or, A giant DC "What If?"

Postby Endless Mike » Thu May 12, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

I haven't read it yet, and I'm not terribly interested because DC (or Geoff Johns, specifically since he's been writing Flash) hasn't done a particularly good job of making Barry interesting.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu May 12, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:My favorite comic (The Flash) has been pushing this for a little while now. The first first issue of this event came out yesterday, and it shows an interesting world, where spoilers follow:
Spoiler:
among other things, Aben Sur is the Green Lantern still, Thomas Wayne is Batman, after Bruce was killed in a back alley, Atlantians sank western Europe, the Amazons conquered Britain, among other things

I know its mostly cheap tricks and an excuse for a big crossover event. But since it seems to be absolutely self-contained, I think I will continue reading it. Anyways, any thoughts on these things? Obviously more will follow as more issues come out.

sounds interesting, i rather enjoy DC's Elseworlds/multiverse stuff, more so than their mainstream offereings on the whole, i will be sure to check that out once it hits TPB

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

I have just finished reading the flashpoint title "Grodd of War" and need to talk to someone about the insanity that was the issue, mainly dealing with the fact that
Spoiler:
Grodd seems to be in a suicidal state of ennui. Can't think of a better way to describe Grodd's utter disregard for his safety.

It opens with a landscape and thoughts that are great, which again needs to be spoiled
Spoiler:
"Aquaman sank half of Europe and is the most feared man in the world. I killed half the population of the world and no one knows my name. Location, location, location"
this book has me very excited about what happens next.
418 I'm a teapot

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”