more Christian Comic Books

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

lockleyg

more Christian Comic Books

Postby lockleyg » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

Does anyone know of good sources for Christian comic books?

I do know of some, which my christian gift store (faithgiftstore.com) has. These ones are mainly from Kingstone Comics. I am looking for ones that are currently available, not stuff that is now out of print.

Thanks. :mrgreen:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
LockleyG
quote: keep your stick on the ice!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Endless Mike

Re: more Christian Comic Books

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:38 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:http://www.chick.com/default.asp

Yeah, he said Good.

If you're going to be like that, get out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:09 am UTC

Anything by Doug TenNapel. He's a fantastic artist, first-rate storyteller, and solid sense of humor. I don't remotely agree with any of the conclusions that he comes to in his comics (I'm an atheist and he can be very abrasive in his personal blog) but he's a very good bet for artistic quality. Also, he's the creator of Earthworm Jim and Sockbaby.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

lockleyg

Postby lockleyg » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

Thanks for your replies, I will check them out.

DustinKoski

Postby DustinKoski » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

Do you only want overtly, directly Christian and espousing Christian values, or would you be open to stuff that discusses christian values or is christian only in its symbolism?

meliescomic

Postby meliescomic » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Yeah, Doug Tennapel is the way to go, especially Creature Tech (probably his most spiritual work, and very accessible as well). If you want to try his work before you buy it, Ratfist is online for free.

I don't know if it's Christian per se, but 1/0 (one divided by zero, Google search it) is a very interesting comic that vigorously defends and explores the idea of a creator.
I'm drawing a whimsical comic book in the style of the great silent filmmaker Georges Melies. http://www.georgesmeliescomic.wordpress.com

meliescomic

Postby meliescomic » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

Ooh! Also, Mike Allred's Madman. It's not totally explicit but Allred is a very religious person and the subtext of Madman is very much about the importance of morality, the reality of God, consequences of ideas and stuff like that. The ending of the story was pure Mormon, too. I don't think you'd pick it up from just reading one issue (I used to dismiss Madman as "empty stylish pop"), but there's some DEEP stuff there. Also probably okay for all ages (no cussing etc.)

Tennapel's Black Cherry is a very dark, very NOT all-ages Christian comic that may be offensive (lots of cussing etc.), but is very heartfelt and thought-provoking.
I'm drawing a whimsical comic book in the style of the great silent filmmaker Georges Melies. http://www.georgesmeliescomic.wordpress.com

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Anything by Doug TenNapel. He's a fantastic artist, first-rate storyteller, and solid sense of humor. I don't remotely agree with any of the conclusions that he comes to in his comics (I'm an atheist and he can be very abrasive in his personal blog) but he's a very good bet for artistic quality. Also, he's the creator of Earthworm Jim and Sockbaby.

Geez, I feel pretty dumb... I've read a bunch of his stuff (Earthboy Jacobus was my favorite) and only barely picked up on the fact that he's a Christian author. Well, for what it's worth, while I do not hold some of the positions some of his characters have, he writes and draws particularly high quality comic stories, and I would recommend them to just about anyone.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:45 pm UTC

I read Creature Tech only after I had gone through his blog and forums, so it's likely that my impression of his work was colored by my perception of the author.

He's the only one I know of that creates very good original Christian-influenced material. The only other comics that I've encountered were various comic book versions of Bible stories. I'll say that the Manga Bible gave me a really good laugh when I came across it in the Focus on the Family bookstore.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Return to “Comics/Graphic Novels”