The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vicarin

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Vicarin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:40 am UTC

Meta Mafia @bessie

Spoiler:
For the fruit vendor, having the recipients not claim helps a hell of a lot if scum try to counterclaim it in LYLO. If all the recipients have already claimed, then it's hard to distinguish them, but if one person can list all the people who have received fruit but haven't claimed and the other can't, well...

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:47 am UTC

Meta mafia

Spoiler:
So my reads have been awful, so I bet all you spectators are enjoying laughing at them!

Ps hoping to get away without claiming today but will see.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:39 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
mpolo continues to do really well!
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:41 pm UTC

Meta mafia
Spoiler:
Which means that my four most suspicious would be wam, LaserGuy, jimbobmacdoodle, moody. I think of these, jimbob is the most townie, so I could see going for any of the other three at this point.

Mpolo is almost spot on. He just needs to convince others of his town reads. Still, it's going to be really hard to lynch jimbob.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:21 pm UTC

Meta II
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:Nope, SDK is magic, and nothing will ever convince me otherwise. :mrgreen:

:wizard:

bessie wrote:And happy Fathers Day SDK! (and BoomFrog, LaserGuy, Suzaku, and anyone else to which this applies) So with two kids you get twice as many gifts this year, right? :D

Thanks, and yes! Twice as many as zero is... still zero. I was about to say it was a good day anyway, but it really wasn't. Kiora was freaking out pretty much the entire day (with about 10 minute breaks here and there), I was trying to get some work done on the trailer, so I couldn't spend a whole bunch of time with Oliver either. Even though I'd spent an hour and a half with him that morning, he still came up to me while I was dealing with Kiora and said "Dad! How come you never spend any time with me, ever!?" which is just bad all around. I never got all my work done, which meant I never got to take a break and do what I actually wanted to do that day, which was to finish painting my picture for May. I'm trying to get one done every month this year, and I'm already a little behind. Ended up finishing it last night instead, so whatever.

Uh, but, yeah, being a dad is great! :mrgreen:

PS: Go mpolo, go! You can do it!
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
I feel that in light of this post jimbob and LaserGuy should have abandoned bussing moody today and went for the 'safe' lynch of Mark. If moody does end up getting lynched then it will look great for them but I think it would have been easier to go straight into LYLO and then pile up on one of the TvT trains.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:05 pm UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
Unfortunately, I can no longer be a zombie replacements since I received hidden info.
Hopefully my sheen of scummyness protects me. Hopefully plytho will be night killed. JimBob also cannot be a zombie.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:31 pm UTC

Meta Mafia

Spoiler:
Overnight bus was somewhat expected, and even authorized, but still stings a bit. Madge being canonized as town because she had some mistakes in her setup spec is a bit annoying as she was one of our possibles for the final mislynch.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:10 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:I feel that in light of this post jimbob and LaserGuy should have abandoned bussing moody today and went for the 'safe' lynch of Mark. If moody does end up getting lynched then it will look great for them but I think it would have been easier to go straight into LYLO and then pile up on one of the TvT trains.

Yeah, I agree. With wam and plytho advocating a Mark lynch, this was a very easy option. Getting a scum flip is a huge boon to town, even if it's led by the other scum. Enter Day 4 with nothing but town flips? You don't come back from that.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:28 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
And now it all comes tumbling down. LaserGuy must have felt my brainwaves as I posted that last spoiler. Pretty shady flip-flop there, though. Maybe we can pull this off.

Liri

Postby Liri » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
How safe of a guess is it that mpolo is gonna get NK'd? Or is that too obvious, given his suspicions?
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:59 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
Liri wrote:How safe of a guess is it that mpolo is gonna get NK'd? Or is that too obvious, given his suspicions?

Not sure. mpolo's bang on, which could make him a target, but being right doesn't necessarily mean much if people aren't listening to him. It might be more likely to raise the question of why he was killed in that case since he's not universally seen as town and he's not really trying to lead. I'd be inclined to kill either plytho or BoomFrog if I was in their shoes.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:19 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
God I hope I got it right this time. There definitely was some interesting stuff going on at the end. I kind of feel like wam fell into my (totally accidental) trap with the slip.

Someting people failed to notice is that there's absolutely no reason for scum!me to point out that we were potentially at mylo. If scum!me believed town!mark could be modkilled I should have been doing everything I can to lynch another townie, instead I keep voting mark. So calling me scum for that is opportunistic and makes no sense.

I kind of hope that tiny bit of suspicion helps me survive the night. And if I'm very lucky I even make it to D5 with another result.

I like the fact that diemo proposed to shorten the night, that's usually a good sign for town.

I am confused about the deadlines using different time zones, though.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:46 pm UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
Dragging this out is so painful. I just want to know if I was right already! If this game ends with Madge getting modkilled I am going to be really frustrated.

@SDK: I don't think it's just you losing your touch, this is a very strong headed group. I can usually get the lynch I want (unless I get myself lynched which is rare.)
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:27 pm UTC

Meta Mafia:
Spoiler:
Well, we're still on for perfect scum game #3 in a row for me, at the moment. I think the games almost in the bag, given how both LaserGuy and I are viewed, although it's not guaranteed yet. Moody is likely to bite the dust tomorrow, but then again, I thought that today, and despite mine and LaserGuy's efforts, he still survived somehow! If wam isn't a PR, I think we've got a good shout at getting him lynched, at some point at least. Just need to get somebody else to vote first.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:29 am UTC

Meta Mafia

Spoiler:
Can scum please kill me overnight :( I've got super townie points now, they've got to kill me right?!

I don't want to stuff around with posting on my holiday since it'll be even less effective than normal!Madge, but I'll do it to avoid the modkill after all.

Didn't expect this game to go so long, but I for sure would have signed up regardless.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 am UTC

Meta

Spoiler:
no idea how Mark will.flip. think the lynch was needed as ifhes town would have been an easy mis lynch for scum in lylo.

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:06 pm UTC

Meta (do NOT read)
Spoiler:
BoomFrog wrote:@SDK: I don't think it's just you losing your touch, this is a very strong headed group. I can usually get the lynch I want (unless I get myself lynched which is rare.)

Everyone is trying to lead. I never thought that would be a problem - more people involved, right? The biggest problem the town seems to have right now is that no one is really working together. Everyone's just throwing up their reads and voting accordingly, which I think is due to the complete lack of a town block this game. Scum is playing well, but the townreads should be trusted more than they are (even if one of them might be scum).

PS: Why are people worried that Mark will be modkilled? He posted before deadline... Plus, BoomFrog's opinion on that is totally legitimate - mylo or lylo, doesn't really matter. Just lynch someone useful, and if everyone turns up town, good game.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:45 pm UTC

Meta Mafia

Spoiler:
SDK wrote:Plus, BoomFrog's opinion on that is totally legitimate - mylo or lylo, doesn't really matter. Just lynch someone useful, and if everyone turns up town, good game.

Yeah, unless Mark turning up town is an absolute gamechanger in terms of how people's reads turn out, there's not much saved by not just lynching your scummiest read instead of this hedging against the possible modkill strategy.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:14 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
When was the last time we actually had a modkill due to inactivity on these forums? I was away for a bit, but I seem to remember it not being standard policy. Players were more apt to take matters into their own hands and LAL, as mods were loath to intervene.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:11 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Meta
Spoiler:
When was the last time we actually had a modkill due to inactivity on these forums? I was away for a bit, but I seem to remember it not being standard policy. Players were more apt to take matters into their own hands and LAL, as mods were loath to intervene.

Meta Mafia 2
Spoiler:
Happened in Crossover Mafia last, based on quick searches. Found one in Wheel of Time (the original) next, back in 2016.

(Searched modkill, modkilled, and inactivity. Appears to be imperfect. Missed both "mod-killed" and no space between the player's name and modkilled.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:39 am UTC

Meta Mafia II
Spoiler:
More thoughts. Gotta entertain Sabrar the spectators!

Vicarin wrote:For the fruit vendor, having the recipients not claim helps a hell of a lot if scum try to counterclaim it in LYLO. If all the recipients have already claimed, then it's hard to distinguish them, but if one person can list all the people who have received fruit but haven't claimed and the other can't, well...
I kinda think that in this setup, fruit vendor is like the least desirable role for scum to try to claim (unless scum received the fruit). It can be easily verified; someone gets a fruit every night. A tracker or jailer claim would make more sense, since it’s not easy to verify, and outs a power role that can prevent a kill or identify a killer.

heuristically_alone wrote:Mpolo is almost spot on. He just needs to convince others of his town reads. Still, it's going to be really hard to lynch jimbob.
Haha I say it in almost every game, if mpolo manages to stay alive, he usually figures everything out by about D3.

Interesting. jimbobmacdoodle’s been having quite a game. Everyone is forgetting that jimbob’s never been lynched as mafia (except for Trial of the Pariahs but he was town most of the game), HOWEVER, jimbob does get mislynched as town (Newbie New Year, Crossover, Impromptu).

I feel that Town really missed their opportunity on D3 to control this game. The votes for moody were there; wam was voting defensively, Mark needed guidance, and Madge and mpolo should have voted for moody but there was no one in there really pushing hard for them to vote. For some reason BoomFrog wasn’t leading town like he should have been, and jimbob was, um, probably not motivated to ensure a moody lynch happened.

heury!Frog wrote: @SDK: I don't think it's just you losing your touch, this is a very strong headed group. I can usually get the lynch I want (unless I get myself lynched which is rare.)
Welcome to my plytho world. :P

@Deva, those two games are the only two inactivity modkills I remember without going back to 2015.

@SDK: What the heck are you saying, that you didn’t get any fathers day gifts???? :shock:
SDK wrote:My daughter wants me!
SDK wrote:My son can’t get enough of me!
Sounds like you did OK. <3

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:16 am UTC

Meta Mafia

Spoiler:
bessie wrote:
Vicarin wrote:For the fruit vendor, having the recipients not claim helps a hell of a lot if scum try to counterclaim it in LYLO. If all the recipients have already claimed, then it's hard to distinguish them, but if one person can list all the people who have received fruit but haven't claimed and the other can't, well...
I kinda think that in this setup, fruit vendor is like the least desirable role for scum to try to claim (unless scum received the fruit). It can be easily verified; someone gets a fruit every night. A tracker or jailer claim would make more sense, since it’s not easy to verify, and outs a power role that can prevent a kill or identify a killer.

I'm thinking more along the lines of an aggressive counterclaim in an attempt to just finish off the game seeing as it's LYLO. Seems likely that people would believe jimbob is town over wam at this point, so if there wasn't another way of confirming wam is the vendor, then he'd be in serious trouble.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:42 am UTC

Meta mafia

Spoiler:
so this is getting bad. The only read I have that I'm confident of is Madge.

So town
Madge
Wam

Unknown
Boom
Jimbob
Laser
Mpolo
Moody

So 3/5 chance of getting this right

So I have a plan from the fruit giving that has given me some info.

So n2 I sent boomfrog a pineapple which was jimbob fruit. Hoping to see a jimbob nk if boom thought he was town pr. As we have not had one 3 options

1. Boom is town
2. Boom and jimbob are scum together
3. Boom is scum.but decided it wasn't true.

Given how this is going I am wondering about 2....

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
jimbob not registering any surprise at wam being fruit vendor is telling in my opinion though I have the benefit of knowing his alignment already. Also him not understanding why withholding the claim is the correct thing to do is strange but this could also come from town!jimbob in other circumstances.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:59 am UTC

Meta Mafia II

Spoiler:
Well, that makes two out of three PR that LaserGuy and jimbob guessed (fb being jailer and wam being fruit vendor). plytho turning out to be the tracker is a bit of a bonus since, if it goes that far, we'll be able to kill N4 whereas before we'd planned on maybe skipping.

If we pull off a win, all glory to LG and jimbob on whose coattails I have ridden.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:31 pm UTC

Meta mafia
Spoiler:
You mean when you win, moody.
So, my reading of plytho was right, but I have wam in my scummy pile, which means I am incompetent here.
No, mpolo! Trust your reads! This means you found the scum team!
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:03 pm UTC

Meta mafia
Spoiler:
Yeah, that looks pretty bad. I need to figure out how to play this game.

The one good thing I did appears to have been pointing out Madge's town-slip.

Wam being the fruit vendor is also pretty good for town. That's two of the relatively scummy looking townies cleared (although moody seems to be making an attempt to push madge anyway).

I hope they manage to lynch moody today. Then mpolo and boomfrog need to find each other to still have a chance.

SDK wrote:A good way to win the game is to work with players like me Day 1 and Day 2, then lynch me Day 3 if I'm somehow still alive and haven't achieved results. Day 2 is okay, I guess, though I'm of the opinion that a chance for glory (catching me as scum) should never come ahead of winning the game.
It didn't come ahead of winning the game. Like I said, I really wanted to win.
SDK wrote:I hope you pull it off, but not because I'm impressed with your play. The thing I'm most surprised about is that you managed to get so many town to follow you - only one of the three scum was on me.
I was pretty surprised as well. I don't think I've lead town before. I'm not sure how I did it but I don't like how it turned out. The thing to take away from this is that I need to learn to read before I try to lead!

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:30 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:SDK: What the heck are you saying, that you didn’t get any fathers day gifts????

The wife and I don't really do gifts for each other. Oliver gets some small things from us, but the vast majority of his (and our) gifts come from other family members. We have more than we need already, and try our best to keep it down.

plytho wrote:I was pretty surprised as well. I don't think I've lead town before. I'm not sure how I did it but I don't like how it turned out. The thing to take away from this is that I need to learn to read before I try to lead!

I guess I'm just too scary. Catch one minor thing (I hope you agree it was minor at this point...) and everybody clings to that since they think I'll never slip up again. A bit silly, but maybe understandable. Amy seemed to think from GoJoe that I was the correct lynch too (even though she knew I was town), so it's not just you!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:33 pm UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
I was ready to applaud JimBob's excellent end of D3 "I am definitely not the fruit vendor" play. But actually it seems that it was sincere.

I'm finding it really hard to swallow that wam is town, but this is excellent for us. It means one of laserguy and JimBob is scum which is interesting. It's probably laserguy, but I'll have to reread. I've been giving JimBob a complete pass since receiving a pineapple N2. Oh! I just figured it out. wam was testing me to see if I would kill JimBob. That's actually quite clever. So the best thing I can do with this information is to show wam that I am town. I think that means I should just spill the beans right now.

Edit: Arrgh... but that means it's pure coincidence that Madge received JimBob's favorite fruit. /headexplodes

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:45 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
SDK wrote:I guess I'm just too scary. Catch one minor thing (I hope you agree it was minor at this point...) and everybody clings to that since they think I'll never slip up again. A bit silly, but maybe understandable.
Yeah, it was exactly that.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:10 pm UTC

Meta Mafia II: The Reckoning
Spoiler:
BoomFrg [sic] to avoid tagging wrote:[...] Still I doubt LaserGuy and JimBob are both scum [...]
:shock: :? :( :cry:
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:37 am UTC

Meta Mafia

Spoiler:
Wow, if town actually manages to pull this off, that would be incredibly amazing. Can't get too hopeful right now, but it's looking up.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:34 pm UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
moody's lack of reaction should be an absolute dead giveaway here.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:07 am UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
*gasp* It's going to be me! I'm going to be the decider at endgame. I never thread the needle to be exactly in the middle of the road. Wam and Madge are the next two NKs, and moody and mpolo are the next two lynches. (maybe laserguy, still need that reread.) And then I have to decide between laserguy and jimbob.

Scum have a good chance to win this game. I really need to get JimBob and LaserGuy to trust me (whichever one is actually town). That at least brings us up to 50% plus my scumhunting abilities.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:37 am UTC

Meta Mafia

Spoiler:
BoomFrog noooooooooooooooooooooooo

Liri

Postby Liri » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:01 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
Arghhhhhh mpolo and wam have it, come on BoomFrog!!!

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:07 pm UTC

Meta mafia
Spoiler:
I feel really bad about accidently reading spoilers and not being able to sub in.

If I were in Laserguy/Jimbob's shoes, I would start hard bussing each other. And mpolo would probably be lynched first still.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:44 pm UTC

Meta mafia

Spoiler:
I am lost here. I think moody mpolo jimbob is right but based on my reads so far that means a boom Madge laser team!

Also sabrar hope you approved of the fruit plan!

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:34 pm UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
Yeah, the fruit plan was ingenious given the circumstances.

I think I'll finally be able to read jimbob correctly after this game. :)

Return to “Mafia”