The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vicarin

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Vicarin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:03 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Oh boy, people townreading me for asking certain mod questions. That can't possibly go wrong at all :twisted:

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:34 pm UTC

Madge wrote:B99

Spoiler:
pyp was underused: wam only asked for one character (which I gave him!) and plytho asked from a choice of 3, only two of which were in the game, so he randomly got one of the other two.

That said, because the show has 9 "main characters", when Mark signed up we needed to think of a tenth character to include. After watching the existing 5 heist episodes "for research", I realised that Cheddar the Dog had appeared in several Halloween episodes and was a good candidate. We wrote up a role (ok, Sabrar came up with a role), and then decided to give it to BoomFrog using the logic that since it's a pyp, BoomFrog would totally have chosen this rolename if he was familiar with the show.

Also, we have SO MANY weird roles. it's great.

I'm nervous about the Heist element. I'm hoping it will work successfully and not fall flat.

Spoiler:
I'd seriously considered signing up for the game. Had I done so, Cheddar (the Dog) would have been at the top of my pyp list. Glad to know that great minds and all that. :D

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:05 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
What a weird start to the game. Bleh, not having day chat is so annoying, am jelly of how much strategizing was going on last game.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:00 pm UTC

B99
Spoiler:
Thinking about best way to balance Sash targeting. I think we probably all have an ability that targets but is otherwise relatively inconsequential. We might all have the message ability. I'd like to fish for this so that if it is true, we can all coordinate and punish those that deviate from the plan. But I don't want to indicate that I have it in the event that I'm wrong.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:20 pm UTC

I've now got a modified plan for a small-game Bond.
- 007 needs to stay in it of course.
- Evil overlord is the lynchpin. Henches for support if the numbers are appropriate.
- All players start with a number of NPC agents/minions depending on the size of the game.
- Agents/Minions can be assigned and team up to investigate, guard, or assassinate targets. Your idle ones guard you.
- If your guards are all dead and another NK is still inbound, then you're eliminated from the game.

No lynch vote or instant PKs; everyone is under cover secret agents and/or in a secret lair.
A stalemate should not be possible.
It is possible for everyone to die on the same night. Technically even N1 if people go assassin-happy and neglect to post guards.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:41 pm UTC

B99
Spoiler:
Ugh the forum is slow tonight..
I'm waiting for Sabrar or Madge to answer my question as it's somewhat related to the slip.

I'm also not entirely sure it's an actual slip, it just really makes a lot more sense for scum than for town to say that.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:50 pm UTC

B99
Spoiler:
wam said the following wrote:However, I would be surprised if we didn't have multiple cops of varying sanities.

I also think 7-2-1 or 6-2-1-1 are likely but given the base material and the in game flavour multi -ball is possible. However given sabrar is one of the mods I don't think 6-2-2 would have passed the sabrar test.

Multiple avriously sane cops was an initial thought of mine but we didn't end up going through with that.

I wanted 6-2-2 HARD but you're right, Sabrar didn't allow it.

I wonder who wam thinks the 10th character will be, given he got the "obvious" 9 right?
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
So, that answer to plytho's question sure is interesting to me...

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:46 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Thankfully, there does seem to be a fair bit of suspicious behaviour by a bunch of people so far, so I can voice pretty legitimate concerns. If I was town, I'd be SO ANNOYED if the person who had the Sash was town and hadn't claimed yet, but works fine for me here :twisted:.

Let's see, if this is 7-2-1, going to need 3 mislynches to go through without extra kills. Hmmm, this could take a while. Of course, I'm suspecting that there's an SK, although that could put town at LYLO after 1 night. Probably too punishing?

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:56 am UTC

B99
Spoiler:
Vic even though you're scum, you're still one of my favorite people <3

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:54 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Well, that sucks. I feel like I'm about to get under some pressure here. First time since Fridge where I was lynched (as scum). Right, gotta find and prove actual scum. I'm still quite confident about vic. Keeping Mark at the bottom of his list feels so scummy. Like he's afraid to commit to a scum read on me. Now that Zen is after me he'll probably join.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:04 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
After the beatdown I suffered in WoT3 for putting any emphasis on the 2nd wincons I'm expecting plytho to be strung up by a bunch of people. Hopefully.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:28 pm UTC

Brooklyn 99

Spoiler:
So annoyed at my spoiler fail. Was just starting to get into this game. And I always like being scum. Was hoping Vic and I could improve on our last team performance!

Flavour is great Madge. Would have guessed wench or the vulture for the 10th. Glad I called the mod argument right! :twisted:
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:49 pm UTC

B99
Spoiler:
someone wrote:Also congrats to Sabrar for coming up with an answer more vexing than "no comment".
As a mod I take my small pleasures wherever I can. :wink:

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:44 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
I'm a goddamn townslip machine.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:36 pm UTC

wam wrote:Brooklyn 99

Spoiler:
So annoyed at my spoiler fail. Was just starting to get into this game. And I always like being scum. Was hoping Vic and I could improve on our last team performance!

Flavour is great Madge. Would have guessed wench or the vulture for the 10th. Glad I called the mod argument right! :twisted:

B99

Spoiler:
The Vulture was my default #10 but I felt it would be hard for someone to live down having such a scummy rolename; same with Wunch.

Let me know if you have ideas for nightfall/daystart flavour as I'm beginning to realise how daunting it's going to be to write flavour without revealing who does what, which isn't fair as flavour is meant to just be fun.

We need a replacement for Brooklyn 99 ASAP. Please PM me and/or Sabrar if you can do it. (Bessie may not be available)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:40 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This game is going to be so damn messy now, wow. Well, hopefully this gets me seen as pretty townie.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:44 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
That statement by BoomFrog trying to turn Mafia against each other is hilarious.

Joke's on him, I've already asked enough mod questions that I'm pretttty sure that the reason why it's possible, but not guaranteed, to share the Sash victory is because there's someone out there that if they end the game holding the Sash, everyone gets a Sash victory (it's apparently possible for me to share the victory with my partner, but not while either of us actually has the Sash). Wild guess: that person is the Indie, and they're starting with the Sash. Of course, I now want them to die ASAP because we can't have Town playing efficiently now, can we (in fact, the overlapping wincons might explain the 7-2-1 setup balance with a fairly neutral indie by getting some town infighting?). Ideally, they do so by not claiming, because I don't want to have to dirty my hands and then end up with the Sash showing who did it.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:39 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Colour me confused why everyone's losing their minds about (essentially) finding out why the sash is a "real" win condition.

Are people legitimately scared of being killed for not playing to win? When is the last time that happened? As long as people aren't flagrantly refusing to seek the sash (and then, really, only at the end of the game), or trying not to win with their main win con, I don't understand why it's a thing.

Did people not realise that a bunch of stuff followed from "sash being equivalent to the standard win condition"?

I can see people not realising we'd put a rule in to keep the sash in possession of a living player, but once we clarified that, you think it'd follow that you need your "main" win in order to get the "bonus" win also (barring a role like e.g. survivor existing which can share the main win with town), so the sash shouldn't interfere with your main win.

Either way it's creating some great D1 intrigue which I am always behind.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:57 am UTC

B99
Spoiler:
The whole premise of a person not claiming sash = scum is wrong. Even if I had the Sash, I wouldn't claim it. I want it for myself. The main goal of the give-it-to-indy plan was to fish out where it might be and to see who is playing this double game.

That being said, I've been focusing so much on finding the colluders that I've left myself prime night kill target. I need to figure our a way to live tonight..

I'm probably going to Knight Mark as I think that is where the sash is most likely to be and I think he is also a prime nk target. My secondary suspicion for where it might be are between jim and mpolo so I'll probably message one of them.

I'm not voting anyone other than plytho at this point. I think he and Boom are scum. And there's something off about Vic. Would lynch him third if game hasn't ended from the first two. I wonder if anyone is intentionally scumming up their play in order to keep scum off their back at night.

jim is strange but I've noticed a pattern of scum jim is townie and town jim is scummy so I'm trying out playing with my read reversed this game.

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:12 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Phew, I feel like I can breathe a little again. I'm really happy I tracked down my town games to answer LaserGuy. I just noticed now that the two good references he mentions to BoomFrog (stellaris and meta) are the two where he's the one making that same read on me :D

I was actually aware of that pattern. I guess I'm a slow starter and people tend to remember me on cruising speed.

I'm also happy I was right about the wincons.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:38 pm UTC

B99
Spoiler:
I'm looking forward to watching Zenii's head explode.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 am UTC

B99
Spoiler:
I wonder how a game would work with town in the minority. Cause it honestly feels like there's multiple scum sets in this game. I'm not reading anyone as obv town...

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:27 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
I'm just posting here to possibly increase Zenni's paranoia.

Scum are doing well if that's how he's thinking :)

(Or town's doing badly. Or at each other's throats?)

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:40 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
So, pretty happy with the situation so far, no worries about either wagon going through (unless there's a dreaded THIRD WAGON). Going to have to just stick with plytho and see what comes up overnight I guess.

Targeting night powers should be interesting, not sure who on earth the strong PRs are. Ah well, random can always do something! Also, if I manage to get the Sash off someone, then I guess I can point out how anti-town they are tomorrow. On that note, probably not going to kill one of the unclaimed people, too risky to have the Sash end up on me and then looking stupidly guilty. Have to use my PR claim power to do so. Or, not target any of those three and then declare anyone who does scum! OPTIONS :twisted:

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 pm UTC

Sorry guys, been busy. I'm available as sub for any of the games, or as player for a game that is NOT a turbo. Feel free to PM me if you need an extra person, otherwise I may not check proactively.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:04 pm UTC

Hi dimochka! How have you been?

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:25 pm UTC

B99
Spoiler:
Dammit, getting thrown into D1 late is the worst. It's like D1 except I have half as much time to read it all. Sorry Vicarin, I probably won't bring my A game into this.
—◯-◯

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:15 pm UTC

plytho wrote:Hi dimochka! How have you been?

Good! Started a new job almost 5 months ago (wow, it's been 5 months? That's crazy...), which required a move back to NY. Things are going well there, just keeping me very busy. How are things with you? And how's the forum going?
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 pm UTC

I'm doing great. I'm going to be a dad in a couple of months. :shock: still feels weird to say that. The forum is chugging along nicely, one game at a time.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:28 pm UTC

B99
Spoiler:
Hah! Zenii forcing me to claim rather then me outright claiming came off much better. I won't be lynched. LaserGuy is the swing vote.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:59 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Uuuugh why does being scum require do much work? I don't wanna reread all of jimbob's posts.....

:P

On the subject of actual reads, plytho's play has been awfully weird, so I wouldn't be surprised at him being Indie. Also stand by Mark acting super weird.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:07 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Note for anyone flavour-blind in future mafia games: Boomfrog got the dog's name wrong. He got it close, but wrong. Nobody seems to have picked up on it.

I don't know what this means. It probably means nothing.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:40 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Full PMs as a safe claim? I wish...

Well, can't complain too much seeing as everything is NAI anyway. And it looks like town in general doesn't get a disadvantage for holding the Sash unlike me, so I know to not claim that now. That could have been really ugly.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:05 am UTC

B99
Spoiler:
Vic wrote:You want her to make a read of your read of JimBob's read of moody's (now bessie's) read of Mark's question and retraction, and then you're going to form a bessie read off that?

:lol:
Boom wrote:That's Mafia, baby!

ded

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:35 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Jeez plytho is desperate to kill me. I mean, he's right, but not from the reasoning he's tried, it's been all over the place.

Hopefully he just goes down like Cassandra.

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:00 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Crazy game. I'm glad it's night soon. I need a break :D
Once again I temporarily get to feel like a genius for getting it all right.

The tie breaker rule is harsh. I was tempted to vote Vicarin at some point but that would basically add two votes to my tally.

So confused by Chester. Did Madge get it wrong? Did BoomFrog? Madge may be slightly more likely, I think BoomFrog would do his homework and get it right.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
I didn't get the damn dog's name wrong! Here's the role PM:

Madge wrote:Image
Cheddar
Woof! Woof woof woof! Yip! Woof. Woof woof. Woof woof woof!

Woof woof! Arf!

Grrrrrr!!!!

You are a Loudener
Win Conditions:
  • You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.
Abilities:
  • Woof!: The player you target will become “loud” the following night. (It will be publicly revealed, in moderator bold, who their rolename targeted in the day start notices).
  • Heist: If you target a player who possesses the Sash, you might get to steal it from them.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:15 pm UTC

B99:
Spoiler:
Hi guys!

Not got around to posting in here yet, but I am a town roleblocker, which doesn't work on certain specific styles of abilities (i.e. things like passive abilities). I've probably tunnelled too much on BoomFrog. I don't really know what set my scumdar pinging on him, but I've tried to put together my thoughts on him in thread as best I can.

Sabrar, you are probably finding it hilarious that multiple people have started adopting your new approach for reading me: if you read me as town, then I am scum, but not the other way around. I can't wait for my next scum game, where I'm just going to try to play scummy and confuse you all :lol:

I really am struggling to keep this game in my head. This many pages on D1 is too many for me, hence why I haven't done full re-reads of everybody. It's just too much to handle. My town reads are largely based on gut points, and a couple of memorable things like mod questions. If neither BoomFrog nor plytho are scum, I'm going to be so lost...
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:23 pm UTC

B99
Spoiler:
jimbob wrote:Sabrar, you are probably finding it hilarious that multiple people have started adopting your new approach for reading me: if you read me as town, then I am scum, but not the other way around.
Yeah, that's funny as hell. However I think I know the reason for this while they seem to be just following the pattern but not understanding the cause.

jimbob wrote:One obvious option to me is that scum or an indie have a kind of reverse heist ability: they get the sash if the wearer targets them.
And jimbob continues to guess stuff correctly (almost), this is suggested as a false-claim for the SK.

Return to “Mafia”