Jester Mafia - Game Over: Lurking Clowns!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Re: Jester Mafia - D1: Happy Clowns!

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Elmach wrote:EBWOP:

Wait, if blue is scum, he can be hammered right now.

Unvote
Vote: Freezeblade

This doesn't make any sense. They both have the same chances of being scum. Blue had no other votes on her, and we can't vote for ourselves, so unless scum has 3 people, scummy hammering is impossible.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

The point was that someone had their "default vote" on blue, so his vote was the second, opening the possibility of a sniping by scum.
Image <-- Evil experiment

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

But that was me, and I had switched.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

That would be my bad. I hadn't realized you were the one that started on blue. I thought there was still someone voting on blue.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Can someone hammer one of us or at least say something so we don't use up all two weeks? I know I'm rather being a hypocrite, but at least I've voted.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:23 am UTC

Yes, having voted, I feel like I've done my duty. My thought is that USN was thinking town might be too powerful, which indicated to me that she knew something concrete about town powers. I don't think scum would have come out with something like that.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

I might also add that the long time that USN has had two votes on her has me absolutely convinced of her towniness. If she were scum, another scum would surely have voted her by now. Of course, that's from my point of view, knowing that I am town. I would be an even better lynch target if you want to vote for me, especially since I will otherwise need a replacement on Tuesday.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

I feel the same way about mpolo. I think it's gone on long enough. Hammering at this point isn't even remotely scummy, so if he were scum, even trying to make it seem not like a scummy hammer, it still would have been done a long time ago.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

I don't trust people based on two people claiming the same power (and one I don't share).

Vote: Freezeblade

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:04 am UTC

The main thing is that we need to come to a conclusion here somewhere. Absolute deadline for D1 is tomorrow, and that means that D2 and D3 are already doomed to be only 24 hours.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 am UTC

Votals:
USN - 2 (Freezeblade, mpolo)
Freezeblade - 2 (Elmach, bluebambue)
mpolo - 1 (USN)

Deadline is Thursday March 28th at 2.10pm UTC
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

As I said when we started, I'm going to be offline pretty much completely from Tuesday through Sunday night very late (CET). It would probably be good to call in my replacement.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

dimochka will replace mpolo effective from whenever he posts in the thread. (eight hours or so)
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52 am UTC

SERIOUSLY SOMEBODY HAMMER!!!!

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:48 am UTC

Feel free to submit conditional votes if you're worried about missing the deadlines for D2 and D3.
-Adam

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:32 am UTC

Working on re-reading. However I can tell you that I am comfortable with my vote currently.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

ANGER!!!!!!!!!

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Ok so let's see:

If we have 2 town and 3 scum then the townies must be voting for one another, otherwise scum would be able to join with that one vote on a non-town and hammer (which would mean to me that USN is town, along with me)

If we have 3 town and 2 scum then scum need at least 2 votes to on them to get the third vote from scum. That would mean that it's likely that USN or Freezeblade are scum, and one of the votes on them is scum. Essentially that would give 4 combinations

If we have 4 town and 1 scum then I have no idea, but I feel like votes would go more easily than this.

Now since from my perspective I know that I'm town, if we're in case 1 USN is town. If we're in case 2, USN can be scum but then Freezeblade is also scum, and it would be pointless for me to switch the vote. If we're in case 3, again I have no idea. So there's my explanation for why I'm happy with my vote.

Although I'm sure I missed lots of logical flaws.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 am UTC

YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO DOESN'T NEED TO POST!!!!!!!!

Adam H

Re: Jester Mafia - Game Over: Lurking Clowns!

Postby Adam H » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Game Over! Town wins!

I used the tiebreaker of "whoever pisses me off the most", which scum won by a landslide! :P

So USN is lynched, and USN & mpolo/dimochka win a most unsatisfying victory.

I don't think this game is worthy of any more flavor...

The scum team PM explains the entire setup:
Spoiler:
Adam H wrote:You are all blancs, a.k.a. sad clowns. You really don’t understand why the augustes are so prejudiced against you - you’ve never done anything to antagonize them! But if they are so keen on not letting you escape with them, the only thing to be done is to turn that frown upside down (god you hate that phrase) and pose as one of them. This should be easy enough at first since there’s so many of you, but the trick will be getting that last blanc out. You’ll need to manipulate the 2 townies into thinking the last scum is one of them.

You can talk at all times, beginning now. There’s no nightly NK or anything. If anyone becomes a confirmed townie or confirmed scum, you will probably lose, so be careful. Ask if you have any questions.

Reply to this message for every PM you send in this game, that way I can scroll through all your messages on one screen.

The roles in this game are below. None of you are receiving any other role PM.

Bluebambue:
Scum Redirector: You are a member of the Mafia, with a nightly redirector ability.
Power: Redirector – every night, you will pick two players. All other actions targeting either of these players will be redirected onto the other player, without anyone’s knowledge but your own.
Win Condition: You win if all members of the Mafia are eliminated from the game.

Elmach:
Scum Roleblocker: You are a member of the Mafia, with a nightly roleblock ability.
Power: Roleblocker – every night, you will pick one townie to roleblock. Your target will be told that they were roleblocked.
Win Condition: You win if all members of the Mafia are eliminated from the game.

freezeblade:
Scum Vigilante: You are a member of the Mafia, with a one-shot public day-kill.
Power: Vigilante – you can kill one of your scummates by posting “Kill: playerX” in the thread. This is a one-shot ability, and you cannot target yourself.

Bonus town role PMs!
USN and mpolo (both received the same role):
Town Cop: You are a townie with a nightly cop ability.
Power: Cop – every night you can investigate one player. You are either Sane or Insane, based on a 50% chance – no other game information was used to pick your sanity. You can target yourself. There are no godfathers or naive millers in the game.
Win Condition: All members of town win when there are less than two townies remaining alive in the game.

From the discussion thread:
Adam H wrote:Jester Mafia
Spoiler:
Scum had complete knowledge of the setup (they were given the town role PMs and they can chat day and night) and they aren't taking advantage of it, so I have no pity. :)

I think this would have been my plan if I were scum: I would have had the roleblocker immediately claim non-cop (vanilla or miller or something), and the other 2 scum claim or breadcrumb cop before the townies can. Then you lynch the one-shot vig on D1 who claimed cop - since he claimed 1st/2nd out of the 4 cop-claimers, he looks best. When he comes back scum, the roleblocker who claimed vanilla probably looks towniest (why would scum claim vanilla since they apparently had safeclaims?). Then on the last day it's 1v2 and the redirector who's still in it has a decent chance of winning, having redirected the townies cop and being able to claim a cop result however he wants.

Or you could just lurk and hope the townies don't vote for each other. How's that working out for you?? :P

Scum team chat (most recent on top):
Spoiler:
Elmach:
Ah, great, I thought that USN was scum and freezeblade was town which was why I didn't say anything *facepalm*

freezeblade:
Curses. Well then I'm quite at a loss.

Adam H:
I'm going to stop you right there and point out that one of the rules is that daykills reset the votals and a deadline extension will be granted if necessary.
K carry on!

freezeblade:
The only way my one-shot is useful is if I'm getting lynched. Otherwise as soon as I vig a scum-mate, I'll never get voted for again. If only there was a way to get a bandwagon on me, I think we'd only need one more town vote to make it happen.

bluebambue:
I'm not very hopeful. We should have thought of all false-claiming that we were cops first. They have too much trust for each other.
I think I'm the most likely target of us scum as I think I have more posts, but I think the best we can do is just talk more and hope something comes up. Maybe we run it out to deadline and then move? In that case it might be best to leave me alive for now as I tend to be on the forums a lot, so will have time in the 24hr days.

freezeblade:
I'm really at a loss here on what to do you guys, The first person to move a vote will look scummy I feel, how should we get town to move a vote?

Adam H:
Correct.

bluebambue:
All copy sanity choices are independent of each other, right? (could have two sane or two insane?)

bluebambue:
If you kill town, we lose since they start with two town and town wins when they're less than 2.

freezeblade:
Public Day Vig again?
I'm not quite sure how to play the kill though. If I kill a scum it's obvious that I'm scum, if I kill a town then I'll get townie points, but will forward their cause. What do you fellow scummies think?

bluebambue:
Hi team,
So I think freezeblade's public vig is the least useful of the powers. I think using it would make it really hard to garner trust down the road. I'm leaning towards not using it unless we can somehow get a 2 - 1 -1-1 votals (or maybe some people not voting) at the deadline and freezeblade can kill someone just before deadline.
This game is going to last a maximum of 3 days and we can't afford to lynch town any of them. I think our strategy on D1 is to avoid manipulation as much as possible. I think it's more important to not manipulate things than to keep around any of our power roles. The fact that the cops are 50% insane really increases our chances, so I don't think any of the PR are vital.

Apologies for my lack of modly maintenance. I should have switched to a regular deadline once I saw what was happening. This thread has been blocked at my work, which made it a bit more annoying to deal with.
-Adam

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

I felt so useless in this game. False claiming should have happened way earlier, but didn't. The longer things stayed stagnant the worse it got. I thought that the jester element would impact everything less than it ultimately did, which was quite a bit.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:01 am UTC

The "Scum were a majority, but didn't lynch whom they wanted to on D1" reminds me of what we saw in Death to the Conspiracy.

In a normal game, it's very easy for scum to follow the lead of a discussion started by townies. In scum-majority games, there's a lot more pressure on the scum to actively behave the way townies would in the situation, and it's harder to figure out. (Some people played very good scum games in DttC, but even a couple of scummers playing a weak game is a big difficulty for the faction.)

(I don't think this game or that one were *objectively* unbalanced in favor of town - if everyone played an ace game all the time, they'd work out. But you can't rely on that.)
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:36 am UTC

Hey, my idea won us the game! Yaaaaayyyy, I did something right.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:19 am UTC

Yeah, I played a poor game.

At least in this setup, the bankable deadlines did not work.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:32 am UTC

We (sort of) won! So this was intended to work as "scum can get one through fairly easily on D1, D2 is 2-2, and town's only real hope is on D3"… I am glad that we townies found each other, though.

Return to “Mafia”