Salem Witch Trials: Revelations (GAME OVER)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Adam H

Re: Salem Witch Trials: D2 - Lost Souls

Postby Adam H » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Yeah I credit Tormod's death with my survival.

Xenomortis wrote:I'm reasonably comfortable with Tomord at this point; his claim has been consistent and sounds reasonable.

So... something I don't get is why the actual Jailor was so comfortable with Tormod claiming Jailor. Either Xeno's scumdar was waaaaaay off, or there's some hinky business going on. I could possibly be misreading Xeno's reaction, too. I know the two claimed roles were different, but Xeno didn't blink an eye at the name "Jailer". If I'm "Gaol-Keeper", I'm flipping out as soon as I see anyone claim "Jailer". Cause that's obviously bullshit.

Anyways, Conman got us Tormod so I'm inclined to trust him this time too. A paranoid public cop is reasonably likely, but Misnomer is also flying under the radar. He did leave his vote on Tormod in a tied situation on Day 1 though. Eh.

Suzaku was the deciding vote between Moody and Tormod, and picked wrong. But he's given some good content.

Madge is under the radar, but she voted Tormod Day 1.

mpolo claims he targeted me last night, even though I told him not to back in day 1. But if he thought that my sickness was evil, then I suppose it's a pretty reasonable thing to do.

mpolo wrote:Theory: Perhaps our bad guys "Wicked Infiltrators" have different flavors, and maybe even aren't in a mafia as such. Maybe each of them has the kill or other nastiness on particular nights/days.
mpolo, what made you think of the phrase "Wicked Infiltrators"? You put it in quotes and capitalized it like you got it from somewhere. Like... a role pm? I don't think you're that clumsy. ;)
-Adam

mpolo

Re: Salem Witch Trials: D3 - Divine Providence

Postby mpolo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

I got the phrase from this post viewtopic.php?f=53&t=105684&start=120#p3480873 from our beloved moderator.

As for investigating you, the reasoning is that it seems like the "Sin" tag has nothing to do with the actual role of the player. At least as I am reading my PM. It seems to be an "extra" that was just randomized into the roles. So, I just picked on a whim. I may have to check myself tonight, since the PM makes a big deal about my not knowing my own "sin" status.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Ah, I see it now. I had searched for infiltrator (or I thought I did at least) and didn't get anything. Very good, sir!

Well, I don't know your role pm (or at least what you claim to be your role pm) but that seems like a weird assumption. My role makes very clear that I am very pious, going into great detail, so based on that I'd give it about a 99% probability that DJ picked which roles were sinful and which weren't.

Mod: is the judge town?

Just... curious.
-Adam

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

I think it would be a hell of a gambit for firesoul to play if he weren't town. He does not mention indies when answered the original setup spec questions, but he does mention conflicting town win cons. There's also this:
firesoul31 wrote:...if the witches decline the gambit, then there's a guaranteed townie. So I'll claim judge.

Firesoul - what's your wincon? Or let us know if stating your wincon will compromise you in some way (not a clue how).
I don't mind waiting for the mod to answer, but I think it's very unlikely that judge will be anything but town. Unless the person who is a judge somehow turns into a survivor. That would be a bit... bastardly.

Adam - why was everyone but me a part of your analysis? Or did you just agree with the fact that I'm townie based on the arguments I made? I don't think this makes you less likely to be town, just curious why I was skipped.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

wam

Postby wam » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Mod: is the judge town?

No Comment
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Mod: is the judge town?

...er... okay, Wam got that one.

I default to wam not commenting. I forget whether the OP provides help answering your question. You could always try.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

I'm going to put this out there then: we don't know that the judge isn't a witch. In fact, there's NOTHING to even HINT that the judge is NOT a witch. The best I could find is this:
Djehutynakht wrote:Everyone in this game has a role.

You all have, well, something, for what it matters. But yeah, everyone actually has a role. No vanilla townies (or witches, for that matter).

And, yes, the Judge is confirmed. That's it though. Not another word from me (for now at least).
Whether "the judge is confirmed" means that the judge is confirmed town or just confirmed to be in the game, I'm not sure. I think he meant that the judge is confirmed to be in the game, because no one was asking whether the judge was town.

Anyways, the thing is, if we lynch the judge THEN we will know the new judge is town, because this is explicit in the rules.

The biggest problem with this is that the new judge will lose their old powers (also that firesoul may not be the likeliest scum). However, given that no one has claimed anything (useful), I'm not sure that this is a big deal.

Given that firesoul's content has been lackluster, this does not sound like a bad idea to me. Everyone else actually looks pretty good to me.

dimochka wrote:Adam - why was everyone but me a part of your analysis? Or did you just agree with the fact that I'm townie based on the arguments I made? I don't think this makes you less likely to be town, just curious why I was skipped.
I wasn't trying to hit everyone, just the ones that popped out at me. I realize now that's about everyone except you, firesoul, and conman.

I think that your content has been a bit skimpy, but your voting record looks fine. No vote on Day 1 when it looked like Tormod needed saving is OK, and jumping on Tormod Day 2 is OK as well. Your first post today is quite winey, but it seems like a town-being-silly winey more than anything.
-Adam

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:I think it would be a hell of a gambit for firesoul to play if he weren't town. He does not mention indies when answered the original setup spec questions, but he does mention conflicting town win cons. There's also this:
firesoul31 wrote:...if the witches decline the gambit, then there's a guaranteed townie. So I'll claim judge.

Firesoul - what's your wincon? Or let us know if stating your wincon will compromise you in some way (not a clue how).
I don't mind waiting for the mod to answer, but I think it's very unlikely that judge will be anything but town. Unless the person who is a judge somehow turns into a survivor. That would be a bit... bastardly.

I win when all non-town factions are eliminated.

I kind of agree that my content hasn't been great, but on the other hand, you would be lynching a (for me guaranteed, for you likely) townie. Add the witch's night kill and we get to five dead townies and one dead witch, out of 9/3 at the beginning (I guess), and 4/2 isn't fantastic. On the other hand, you will get much better analysis if I'm the one lynched, so... meh. I sort of agree with Adam H, lynching me might help, or it might not. Still, I do think we should scum-hunt a bit first.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:24 am UTC

mpolo - have you tried visiting conman? maybe cleansing him of sin will fix his vote power somehow? =/ (just an idea I had whilst writing the below)

The idea of the judge not being town is intriguing, but let's have a look at what firesoul's been saying:

Day one:
Between moody, misnomer, and tormod, I'd pick tormod - there isn't really a reason for the judge to claim if we NL.

He said this after two people had voted for tormod (including conman, whose vote didn't count, obviously)

The choice is between Misnomer and moody, and at the moment I'm inclined to lynch moody as the scum know that locking a vote on a person with one vote would do nearly nothing halfway through day 1

If misnomer flips scum then this statement will become suspicious.

Right now, my "vote" is on moody however.

Changes his mind, right after I'd put a vote on tormod so it was moody - 3 and tormod - 2

Yeah, now that the votals are tied I'd be more willing to not lynch moody.

Changes his mind again.

Day Two:

I agree with the reasons to lynch tormod, and will not veto this lynch if it goes through. (Also, tormod, even if town has more night power you could at least help us by knowing targets.)

Alright. I'm going to approve a tormod lynch, and veto others. Heavy FoS on anyone who tries to change a L-1 an hour from deadline.

If he was scum he didn't need to make this statement; then again, if he was scum, an hour from the deadline it was vanishingly unlikely that the lynch would change.

Conclusion:

Seems to me that firesoul has been pretty well against tormod the entire time; not sure if it's bussing or firesoul is town. But firesoul has just been under the radar rather than scummy.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:24 am UTC

Conman was the first person I visited. If he was a sinner before, he is not one now. In the same way, if Adam was a sinner before, he is not one now.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:48 am UTC

Quick one for now:

I don't think that Tormod's death had anything to do with the end of Adam's curse/plague. It was called the three-day plague from when Adam contracted it on day one, so I find it totally unsurprising that it ran for three days. I believe, absent any evidence to the contrary, that it would have ended in the same way and at the same time regardless of who had been killed overnight.

Back with more later this evening.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 am UTC

Given this post: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=105684&start=160#p3486595 I think that our mod has made it abundantly clear that the apparent death was the normal result of the 3-day plague. I suppose there is some small possibility that if the caster were alive, the 3-day plague would have resulted in actual death, but that doesn't seem all that likely to me. More likely would be that a healer of some type intervened, or that there was no possibility of death, only of immense suffering.

I would be suspicious of people trying to put this fully on Tormod, discounting a possible second witch, except that the main one doing so is the victim.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:I would be suspicious of people trying to put this fully on Tormod, discounting a possible second witch, except that the main one doing so is the victim.

I partially disagree. I would think given the setup, the witches would have different powers. I personally think we got rid of the one that casts that kind of plague. The others can probably do something else.

Realistically I want to hear from misnomer, mostly I get a more townie vibe from the rest of the people on Tormod's lynch.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

OK, I like all the discussion today. I'm convinced firesoul is town (thanks Madge), and mpolo, madge, dimochka all look fine.

The most likely scenario IMO, even assuming Conman is paranoid, is for Misnomer to be scum. Everything else requires someone to have bussed crazily hard or something else odd going on.

Vote: Misnomer
-Adam

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:I would be suspicious of people trying to put this fully on Tormod, discounting a possible second witch, except that the main one doing so is the victim.
I disagree. The main person putting this all on Tormod isn't Adam, it's dimochka - it's almost as if he knows more about the plague than he should. Even his argument that bussing Tormod would be a stupid scum move (losing a scummate and giving back a town) falls over if you accept that the three-day plague was going to be over in three days anyway.

I'm not going to vote now, as it's late at night and there's still time, but I'll sleep on this and if I don't feel different in the morning you can expect me to vote tomorrow.
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Madge wrote:@ConMan - is there absolutely anything in your role flavour that might suggest your voting behavior is weird? Also, is there anything that suggests that your accusation power may actually be a public cop?

No and no. The voting thing is not mentioned anywhere in my role PM, hence why I've been assuming it's an external factor (also because it seems to be unconnected to any of my actual abilities), and the public accusation is described exactly as it looks - I name someone, they get publically, anonymously accused at the start of the next day.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:Moreover, had I in any way been Tormod's scumbuddy, this would be a terrible move to make. Lose a team member and give town back a member. And I started the suspicion and bandwagon, as mentioned.

Vote: dimochka

"If I were scum, I would not have done x or y because that would hurt scum" is something of a classic scumtell. On initial appearances it would appear to display townie cred, as it 'makes sense' that a player whose actions would hurt scum would be town. Unfortunately, it's a fatally flawed line of thinking. In the first instance, it assumes that scum will always take the most obvious route, failing to account for the inherent advantages of pursuing a non-obvious course of action. Secondly, it fails to account for scum stupidity/miss-steps: "I wouldn't have started a bandwagon on x" is a classic example of this, as scum might well put down what they believe is a distancing vote only to discover to their horror that they've actually triggered a bandwagon.

In any case, such comments are generally scum tells as they overwhelmingly tend to be made by scum. In pointing out the 'stupidity' of their actions from a scum point of view, they indicate that they have analysed their own actions from a viewpoint of trying to appear non-suspicious. This is something town players generally don't do, as they already KNOW that they are not suspicious (and indeed, tend to be rather shocked when somebody else suggests they are - the key point is that they do no pre-empt such suspicions however). But as scum are constantly fearing that their actions will, upon analysis, look suspicious, they constantly self-assess their own posts and actions and think of ways of spinning it to appear non-suspicious. Hence their posts include comments on why it wouldn't make sense for them to be scum.

Long story short, this is an established scum tell, so I'm voting for dimochka.

Moving on, I believe our judge to be town. As I recall, the mod had to intervene after the start of the game to remove the judge's ability to veto their own lynch. If we had a scum judge, then we would effectively have had an unlynchable witch on our hands, a role so blatantly overpowered that I cannot imagine that it would not have been spotted during the setup design phase. An indy judge would be possible I guess, but I can't personally see how it would fit with the flavour.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:24 am UTC

mpolo wrote:Given this post: http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=53 ... 0#p3486595 I think that our mod has made it abundantly clear that the apparent death was the normal result of the 3-day plague.

For clarification, the "(Supposed) Death" thing was not to indicate that the death was supposed to be fake. It was placed in this way so that one could either interpret that Adam's death was prevented, or that it was supposed to be fake from the start. I'm not going to say which is correct, due to mod neutrality.

Although how horrible would it have been if you guys had buried Adam alive? (said for pure flavor. Don't take seriously. Though now I'm getting ideas...)

I'm not going to do a formal Votals right now, but if my memory is correct it's essentially a three way tie between mpolo, Misnomer and Dimochka.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:38 am UTC

uh is there like 1.5 hours left?

first of all,
vote misnomer

This is in 3 parts.
1. OMGUS
2. Saving myself from lynch
3. How does your argument even make sense? That's such a stretch... I've been very consistent in what I said, and I fully do believe that the curse was cast by Tormod. Moreover, I do think that you are likely to be a witch as well. I haven't seen much content, and your late vote on tormod easily acts as distancing and not much else.

Firesoul - it's up to you if you want to reject the lynch and give us more time, but I honestly do think this is the best lynch and more so the right lynch to make.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:39 am UTC

EBWOP: nvm it's 6.5 hours. well it doesn't change my opinion but at least we have more time. unfortunately i will just barely be awake at that point so won't have time for more replies.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:54 am UTC

Unofficial Votals:

mpolo - 1 (ConMan)
Misnomer - 2 (Adam H, dimochka)
dimochka - 1 (Misnomer)

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:01 am UTC

You were right first time, deadline is in 5 minutes.

As I said yesterday, I'm suspicious of dimochka for pushing too hard on the link between Tormod's death and Adam's recovery. I agree it's possible, maybe even likely, that Tormod cast the curse/plague/thingy, but I still think the insistence that xyr death ended it looks like too much knowledge. I kind of agree with Misnomer that the 'I wouldn't be so stupid' line just makes it look worse.

So, as promised:

That ties the votals, meaning it's judges call. I'm going to trust firesoul to make the judgement on this one.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:28 am UTC

Is it really deadline?

To at least break the tie.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:29 am UTC

If that was allowed. If not, please disregard.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:46 am UTC

Final Votals:

Dimochka - 3 (Misnomer, Suzaku, Mpolo)
Misnomer - 2 (Adam H, Dimochka)
Mpolo - 1 (ConMan)

Not Voting: Madge, Firesoul31

"Dimochka! Dimochka!" cried Misnomer and Suzaku in the late afternoon. "He is surely a Witch! Look at how he slinks around here, acting suspiciously and coaxing us into evil!"
"Misnomer!" say Adam H, joined by Dimochka, pointing accusatorially at one of the duo voting for him. "It's Misnomer that's been the one leading us astray! Sure, there was the vote for Tormod, but that could have all been a ruse! We can't trust them, and the rest of you know it!"

in the corner, ConMan hiccupped "Mpolo!" for the third day in a row, although even he seems to have started to ignore himself by this point.

Finally, out of the three undecided, Mpolo stood up. "I choose Dimochka," he says. "I'm not sure who to trust, but I definitely do not trust him"

"Well then," Firesoul says, rising up. "I guess we take this to the Judge. Judge, whoever amongst us you might be, please submit to us through the bailiff you decision".

Dimochka has been voted to be Lynched. This decision will now be relayed to the Judge, who will proceed to give their ruling.

Also, as a note: Mpolo's vote was a bit over technical deadline, but my deadlines have never been very solid.

Therefore, if the Judge decides to reject Dimochka's lynch, I may consider a very short extension to revote. If it is accepted, lynching will proceed as normal.
Last edited by Djehutynakht on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:48 am UTC

Also, Until any further notice, the thread is Silent... as the grave

In any case, I probably won't be writing up a Night Post until tomorrow night, so either night will last from Halloween through the weekend, or a possible revote will last Halloween-Friday and the weekend until Tuesdayish.

Djehutynakht

Re: Salem Witch Trials: N3 - Witching Hour

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:11 am UTC

Night 3 - Witching Hour

A scene from the execution of witches

My apologies for the time it took to get around to this:

-There was a small question on deadlines and votes and such. In the end, I've decided that since I've had hazy deadlines in the past, I would allow votes to be passed. Whether mpolo's vote was validated or not the result would not result in a serious change.

Anyways, I hope that you all enjoyed your Halloween! I, for my part, decided to be a hardcore mafia moderator and took the train up to explore Salem itself. The graveyard was fun to visit... and some of those Puritan gravestone inscriptions are hilariously morbid.

In any case, I had fun in Salem. There were tons of witches, just to let you know. Better step it up.

Anyways, enough with me wandering around Salem on Halloween. On with the main event!

As the jury waited for the bailiff to return the Judge's ruling, there was some infighting amongst one another. Dimochka for his part heatedly contested several last minute votes, which his accusers likewise threw back at him to accuse him of Witchery. However, could he really be blamed? This was his life on the line!

As however, they continued to argue, the notes from the Judge came back. He decided, even if there was hypothetically a tie, he would go with Dimochka. That being said, he accepted the Jury's decision in condemning him.

"Hear ye! Hear ye!" court bailiff Djehutynakht shouts. "The Jury of the Court of Oyer and Terminer has voted to convict Dimochka of witchcraft, and by extension, sentence them to pains of death!

"Most Right Honorable Judge, do ye sanction this ruling, or do you declare a Mistrial?"

The Judge's response has come back.

The veto has not been used. Execution shall take place as voted upon.

Immediately following this procedure, the bailiff went immediately to shackle Dimochka to lead him to the gallows tree. After the outburst with Tormod he'd be taking no chances. It seemed that everyone was getting more desperate. More panicked. More frenzied. There had even been talk during the day that the Judge himself could be a member of the wicked coven! Trust was low, and even amongst the calm and pious Salem townspeople the will and urge to live was beginning to take hold.

Dimochka began to shake at the shackles, trying perhaps to wrench free. "You cannot do this!" he says with conviction. "We have killed too many of the innocent of Salem! You cannot do this again! You are sinners! All of you! These witches are a punishment for your evil! You've gotten one but at what cost?! You let them control you, and they can! For you all are the truly wicked! Release me! Release me!"

Dimochka continued this tirade throughout the village until they had reached the Gallows tree. When there, it was practically dark already, so they made quick to prepare a noose.

As the noose was about to be fitted over Dimochka's head, it was as if something hit him. He reeled back.

"No! Not this time! You people of Salem are a cursed, cursed lot! Hanging the innocent and the righteous! It is no wonder witches can skulk around your lot! Repent! Repent for ye shall all die! And ye witches... wherever you are out there feigning faces of innocence and shock, they will be coming for you too. You are cursed to take each other out! Don't think you'll escape! The flames of Hell wait to scorch you all"

"Oh shut it you wicked fiend," the one with the noose says. "Going on a tirade shall not save thee from thy fate. Thy deception is moot! Resign thyself to thy fate."

He tried to put the noose around Dimochka's head again, but Dimochka resisted with vigor.

"No! Not again! Never again ye demons! You shall pay! You shall all pay!"'

With surprise Dimochka lept from the Oxcart and headed for the nearest Juror, attempting to strangle them with his shackles. The rest of the Jurors were taken aback, but leapt to stop him. Dimochka fought with a mad frenzy, clawing and swinging his shackles like a madman!

One of the jurors drew a saber. Dimochka turned and leapt at them too. But, it was too late. With a desperate thrust, the juror impaled the mad Dimochka on his sword. His eyes got large. He gave one last howl of anger and anguish. However, with some conviction he managed to pull himself off of the blade! Clutching his now bleeding abdomen, a slowly dying Dimochka ran off with speed and frenzy down the hill and towards the nearby woods.

"Stop him!" a Juror called. "The Witch! He is escaping!"

The jurors began to chase after Dimochka, but suddenly the wind picked up to devilish speeds! Hats flew off, and the winds acted so strong against the jurors they could barely stand up, never mind making headway following Dimochka, and there was what seemed like a huge, supernatural scream as a crack of thunder lit up the sky. It began to torrent dreadfully. The Jurors called to one another. It was already dark. Any traces of the moon were obscured by clouds. As the last shadows of Dimochka's injured body slipped beyond the treeline, the jurors gave up hope of catching him. The storm was too strong, and they knew the witches would soon strike. So, with fear and caution, they headed for their houses and bolted down tight.

The church bells tolled. Witching hour was not far off.

It is now Night 3
Night Three will end on Tuesday, November 5 around 06:00:00 UTC (2 a.m. EST)
The thread is now silent. Please submit all night actions by PM. Thank You.

Djehutynakht

Re: Salem Witch Trials: D4 - 6 Angry Puritans

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:51 am UTC

Day 4 - 6 Angry Puritans

Image: An extremely awesome shot I got of the Salem Burial Ground on Halloween Night 2013.
No idea how that red showed up, but it works really well.

I'm a day late on this. Oh well. Today should be fun.

As dawn spread over Salem Town so did the sound of metal and wood as villagers unbarred doors, unlocked locks, unchained windows, and took down every other means of defending themselves throughout the night against dangers both natural and supernatural. Last night's lynching had gone horribly wrong, and an injured, yet very fierce and ferocious Dimochka had fled the scene into the woods in the black of night, a strange and powerful storm preventing his pursuit. The lynching mob hurried back, spread the word, and each house already bunkering down for the storm, took extra precautions against this crazed and wicked man who had escaped divine justice. The extra vigilance may have made a tougher time for forces wicked and good in Salem town, but the cover of wind and thunder kept them hidden as they carried out their tasks.

The first thing after the morning prayer was that the Jury and their Judge, six puritans angry at themselves for their folly, and for the threat still possibly amongst them, went to work forming a search party to find whatever had happened to Dimochka.

However, there would be no wandering through the woods that day.

Although the morning skies were clear, puddles still remained from last night's storm. And as the party set out they noticed, with horror, that some of these puddles were ruddy with blood.

Nobody knows how this blood survived being washed away by the storm. Maybe it was a sign. But as the Puritans travelled that Crimson trail they realized, with dread, that the path was leading them right back to the Salem Burial Ground, a point that had been the site of much horror the previous day.

Reaching the graveyard, they noticed one of the graves freshly dug for any new and recent deaths. And the trail of blood led straight to it.

Besides the dirt dug up and waiting to re-fill the hole, the Jury noticed a bucket. And next to the bucket a larger pool of water. Someone had been bailing out the flooded grave.

What was inside the grave was not surprising, although it was even more of a shock than expected.

In the grave, facedown, lay Dimochka. He was dead. He was pale, soaked, scratched, muddy and dead. A small pool of blood in the bottom of the grave, lingering with the last of a puddle, suggested he had bled out there.

His pale body however was not the most horrible feature. It was where it was located. For though Dimochka's body was in an unorganized, face-down sprawled out position of death and agony, it was laying on top of another, though properly and respectfully arranged, corpse.

The only exception was that this corpse was already several weeks or months into rotting.

"What is that corpse?" someone asks. "Where did it come from? Who is it?"

"Wait," another replies. "I recognize that man. He was sentenced to death for Witchcraft a little whiles back. We hung him and put him in a shallow grave in the ravine! Why... Dimochka was in fact his most ardent accuser on the Jury! Many thought Dimochka always had it in for the man, constantly feuding, and in fact it was his voice that finally got us to convict him. Remember?"

And then suddenly, as if by supernatural means, all of the Jurors suddenly realized what had happened.

Dimochka was the Vengeful Spirit, an Independent Serial Killer. For the truth really was... Dimochka was not actually Dimochka! He was the spirit of an innocent man, the corpse in the grave, convicted by this very Jury, executed out of fear, panic and general spite during the witchcraft trials! Through some supernatural mechanism he was able to come back and possess the body of his most fervent accuser! And not only that, but he was gifted with the power to hunt, and to kill once per night. For he hated the Town for convicting and hanging him, and he hated the Witches for showing up and by their deeds drive the hysteria that made them do it! His goal was to kill every last witch, jury member or judge in the courtroom and stand as the last soul standing, alive in a new body once more.

Unfortunately, Dimochka had failed. But he refused to go through the indignation of a second hanging, and upon fleeing, knowing that his victim's body, mortally wounded, was soon to expire, wanted to guarantee his real body a legitimate grave as a testament to his innocence. And it is this which truly put his spirit to rest.

"The poor man," someone said, as the others stood silently over the grave. "But do we leave him here because he was innocent or do we throw him out for the terror his spirit inflicted in revenge?"

"Well... we should probably ask the Clergyman about that," another replied. "He'd know best.... hey, where is Mpolo anyways? I know he was the one claiming to be the clergyman around here, although I'm not sure if it's true."

"Of course it's not true," another voice from the crowd of six responded. "He's not here because last night he was off doing wicked deeds! Can't you see?! He's been the one in charge of all of this evil here. I've never trust him or his false claims..."

"I accuse [b]Mpolo of being a Witch!"[/b] the voice declares.
Mpolo has been accused of witchcraft!

Suddenly, a boy came running in to the Burial Ground. "Come quick!" he cried. "They've found something upon yonder hill! A sure sign of witchcraft! Oh woe it is horrible! But see for yourselves sirs!"

The sight truly was terrible. Four large iron poles had been strung up at the very top of the hill, sunk deep into the ground by some form of magic. And it was the sight of beastly witchcraft. For there, tied in spread eagle fashion between the four poles, with a rope running between two to support up the head, were the charred remains of a man in a minister's garments.

Oh had the witches enjoyed torturing him once they found he was a man of religion! His clothes were tattered, and his shirts completely ripped open as devilish evil symbols were scarred into the chest. The hair was knotted and matted. There were cuts and bruises and marks they had not seen made by any natural process. His tongue had been stitched into the gaps between his teeth and gums to prevent his preaching again and it appeared that the torture had been the making of hours.

What was worse though, was that he was tied to metal poles. And worse than that, this ritual appeared to have taken place on top of a hill during a lightning storm.
Even for the Salem villagers, who did not know much in ways of sciences, the effects were obvious. A body burned at the hands and feet, with long, branching scars stretched out across the length of the body. What else had finished this demonic ceremony than had lightning struck a pole and caused a quick end to this man's prolonged demise.

A defaced holy book had been placed over the man's face. Removing it, it was just as had been feared. The victim was Mpolo.

Mpolo was the Town Clergyman. As Clergyman, Mpolo's job was to clear the town of sin. He knew that, had he accomplished this, a pure and righteous Salem would be unable to sit as a hiding place for witches, and they would surely be driven from the town.

Unfortunately Mpolo had not yet completed his mission upon the time of his death.

With much more silence and somberness, the remaining six jurors released the body from its torturous binding and arranged its journey back into town. Half of their body, some good and some bad, were killed. And within each juror there fuelled a bright passion to succeed... in either Salem town, or destroying it.

As the sun rose and the water dried, they set back to the Courthouse to continue this task.

Day 4 has begun.
Day 4 is expected to end Tuesday, November 12 at 06:00:00 UTC (2 a.m. EST)

Please note:

1. Voting will be kept very strictly within the deadline even if someone is not online to call it. This was due to issues with murky deadlines with Yesterday's lynch.

2 This will (almost certainly) be the last day in which the Judge power will be in effect.

When to eliminate the Judge power is based on a combination both of when it becomes unfair to Witches to have their voting efforts impeded by a possible veto and when the Jury might need an additional voter. The Judge's identity will not be revealed, but the power will be dissolved and votes will be decided on simple majorities.

As of this moment, the Judge has approved all lynches to date, comprising of 1 town member, 1 Witch and 1 SK

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:56 am UTC

Actually, I stand corrected.

The Judge Power is hereby abolished.

Most Honorable Judge, please vote along with all other members of the town as would a normal individual. Thank You.

All votes will now hereby be decided by a majority.

4 votes is a hammer.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Ha, that would have been hilarious if mpolo was accused of being a witch after he was found dead.

OK, so conman is paranoid, more or less as I expected (and of course it's possible he knows his power does nothing).

I still think it's Misnomer. His accusation of dimochka was very half-hearted. Scum KNEW dimochka was not Tormod's scumbuddy, so saying "this is an established scumtell" is much safer than "I think he's scum". Because after dimochka comes up non-scum, Misnomer can absolve himself of blame for the mislynch.

Of course, it wasn't a mislynch because dimochka was SK, but that's besides the point.

If anyone claimed to be targeted by mpolo, they'd earn mega townie points. That said, don't claim that you WEREN'T targeted by mpolo, because if everyone does that then scum can fake claim that they were targeted.
-Adam

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Gee, I picked a good time to be suspicious of mpolo, didn't I? :roll:
Adam H wrote:OK, so conman is paranoid, more or less as I expected (and of course it's possible he knows his power does nothing).

... and have been saying since the first one came out so people didn't try to take it as any kind of gospel.

I still think it's Misnomer. His accusation of dimochka was very half-hearted. Scum KNEW dimochka was not Tormod's scumbuddy, so saying "this is an established scumtell" is much safer than "I think he's scum". Because after dimochka comes up non-scum, Misnomer can absolve himself of blame for the mislynch.

Of course, it wasn't a mislynch because dimochka was SK, but that's besides the point.

If anyone claimed to be targeted by mpolo, they'd earn mega townie points. That said, don't claim that you WEREN'T targeted by mpolo, because if everyone does that then scum can fake claim that they were targeted.

Perhaps. I know that mpolo claimed to have targeted me, but I didn't get any official notice of it.

Also, if we've had an SK all this time ... why was there only one kill per night? Did dimochka and scum successfully target the same person twice in a row? Was scum's kill suppressed until dimochka was dead? I am horribly confused.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:

Perhaps. I know that mpolo claimed to have targeted me, but I didn't get any official notice of it.

Also, if we've had an SK all this time ... why was there only one kill per night? Did dimochka and scum successfully target the same person twice in a row? Was scum's kill suppressed until dimochka was dead? I am horribly confused.

I'm guessing that anyone who was successfully "cleansed of sin" by mpolo would be told that, and I furthur suspect that no one could be "cleansed of sin" and be scum afterwards.

Yeah, 1 kill per night implies that roleblocks may have been successful.

Now is the time to claim, people. I'd bet a complete massclaim would end the game today or tonight or at the very least tomorrow.
-Adam

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:56 am UTC

I'm back from holiday and am happy to claim if more than one person thinks it's a good idea.

Still not quite recovered from the red-eye flight yesterday so I will gather my thoughts before making another post.

I'm scared on some level that Adam is being cunning scum.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:08 am UTC

I was relishing in the surprise of people of SK presence.

Let's see... who's still alive:

-Conman
-Madge
-Suzaku
-Firesoul
-Misnomer
-Adam

Yep... Hammer is 4.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

If the judge dies will a new player become the judge (a powerless judge, obviously)?
-Adam

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Conman, Madge, and I are here... What about firesoul, Misnomer, and Suzaku?
-Adam

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I still think it's Misnomer. His accusation of dimochka was very half-hearted. Scum KNEW dimochka was not Tormod's scumbuddy, so saying "this is an established scumtell" is much safer than "I think he's scum". Because after dimochka comes up non-scum, Misnomer can absolve himself of blame for the mislynch.
I have no intention of trying to absolve myself - by accusing dimochka of exhibiting a classic scum tell I was accusing him of being scum. I thought that was fairly clear from my post and vote?

Well no, it's not really beside the point :? yes, it turned out to be an anti-town tell instead of specifically a scum tell, but it was still entirely valid - an anti-town character will inevitably review their own posts in a suspicious light, and thus attempt to correct them. This is what I spotted, and thus why I voted.

Speaking of tells, Madge's post pings me somewhat.
Madge wrote:I'm back from holiday and am happy to claim if more than one person thinks it's a good idea.
This is a very non-committal - unless I'm reading this wrongly, it strikes me that madge is avoiding stating an actual opinion on whether a claim would be good or not, simply stating that they're happy to go along with it if a decision is made by others for it to happen. Could be nothing, but could also be scum trying to stall without appearing outright suspicious.

I'm scared on some level that Adam is being cunning scum.
Again, this unnerves me - it seems to be a throwaway snipe, made for the purposes of subtly casting suspicion on Adam without outright accusing him. There's no launching pads for discussion, evidence presented or action taken. Alternatively madge and Adam could both be scum, with this acting as a means of insurance and a source of townie points should Adam later flip.

In any case, I await Madge's next post with eager interest.
IGMEOY: Madge

On the subject of a massclaim, I'm opposed on both meta and practical grounds. On meta grounds I despise massclaims taking place at anywhere before the endgame - I think they sap the fun out of the game, and indeed regularly design my closed setups to make such massclaims harmful (or at least confusing) for town. On practical grounds, scum teams usually have a scum roleblocker of some sort - and we do not yet have a dead scum roleblocker. I think if we claim now we risk jeopardising any advantage our remaining roles give us.

That said, if the consensus is for a massclaim, I will obviously take part.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:On the subject of a massclaim, I'm opposed on both meta and practical grounds. On meta grounds I despise massclaims taking place at anywhere before the endgame - I think they sap the fun out of the game, and indeed regularly design my closed setups to make such massclaims harmful (or at least confusing) for town. On practical grounds, scum teams usually have a scum roleblocker of some sort - and we do not yet have a dead scum roleblocker. I think if we claim now we risk jeopardising any advantage our remaining roles give us.

That said, if the consensus is for a massclaim, I will obviously take part.
A 13 player game down to 6 players is definitely the endgame. Claiming is best done before LYLO or MYLO (which we'll likely be at tomorrow).

I'm not advocating massclaiming, I'm advocating that anyone who plans on claiming something before the end of the game should do so now, because we won't believe you after today.
-Adam

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

Sorry, I though I had posted something, but it didn't go through.

On the subject of mass claiming, I honestly don't see how it could help us. Normally, it eliminates scum by forcing them to be put in either a 1 of 2 group or a 2 of 4 (or similar) group, right? In this, though, everyone has a power role, so scum will just make something up, and we can't necessarily gain any advantage. There may be subtle hints, but not much compared to all the scum knowing our roles.

Of those alive:
Suzaku and Adam H. (votelocked) have voted for moody7277 (town) over Tormod (scum)
Suzaku, Misnomer, and myself have voted for Tormod (scum). Conman and Adam H. were both vote-affected.
Misnomer and Suzaku have voted for Dimochka (SK).

Firstly, Suzaku has been on every lynch, and Madge and Conman have been on no lynches. Secondly, Madge has only voted once. Thirdly, Misnomer has been on every anti-town lynch. Finally, from my subjective position, both my and Madge's content has been lacking.

What can be concluded from that? I don't know, but if I had to rank everyone right now, it would be:

Town

Conman
Adam H
Suzaku
Misnomer
Madge

Scum

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Oops, forgot to add that if we started with 8/3/1 (which seems fair assuming all the town power roles), then we're at soft-MYLO.

Will we be told MYLO or LYLO?

Return to “Mafia”