Re: Shakespeare Mafia - Finis (Good wins!)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

bessie

Re: Shakespeare Mafia - Act I, Scene I

Postby bessie » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:34 pm UTC

I'm for an extension if everyone else agrees. As DJ mentioned, it's Election Day in the United States. I forgot that I needed to vote this morning (in real life), and I spent last night reading through some election materials and didn't have time to return to the game (yes I am serious about voting).

My current choice for the lynch is still DJ, for waiting until 7 hours before deadline before making his first post with any actual content.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:19 pm UTC

To be fair, with all going on,
I didnt realize deadline was so close upon.
Hallows Eve first, and now public calling
I made no attempt at actual stalling.

Am I tied with Zyth? If so, good.
To vote: moody I feel that I should.
Claims empty vessels make the loudest sound
Yet wants to silence all around.
Instead of discussing further and hearing merits well
To draw the curtain, bid an unneeded early farewell.

(Basically, if Zyth and I tie the vote, I vote Moody for trying to cause a lynch so soon and without much consensus instead of extending the deadline, which can do us no harm).

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:42 pm UTC

Apologies for the late extension. You have an extension until about 19 hours from now.

Votals:

freezeblade (1): Lunch Meat
Lunch Meat (1): amanita
Djehutynakht (3): SDK, bessie, moody
Zyth (3): Gopher of Pern, USN, Minestrone
moody7277 (1) : Djehutynakht
Gopher of Pern (1): Zyth
Image <-- Evil experiment

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

Now that the extension is official, I'll retract my strategic vote on Zyth

Unvote

Vote: moody

For the same reason I was voting them before, plus their breaking of the tie, which in my opinion should get them the tie of a noose around their neck.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:31 pm UTC

I am surprised with an uncouth fear;
A chilling sweat o'er-runs my trembling joints:
My heart suspects more than mine eye can see.

Moody? What did you vote to untie things? With nary a justification to be found? Explain if you could.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:08 am UTC

Her big blue eyes like dinner plates - so cute.
Cunning she is, she knows I can’t resist.

Here I come! Working on post now.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Re: Shakespeare Mafia - Prologue

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:09 am UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Hear me, townspeople, for I have information to share.
This is a crumb on my part. I have one last thing I need to tell the Town.

I have mod-confirmed information that tragic heroes have a restriction of blank verse.

Why am I saying this now? I did not want to start off the Day with discussion centering around blank verse or restrictions; nor did I want to tip my hand to scum about what kind of restriction they could fake in order to come off as Town. I would guess that there MIGHT be one scum who has to post in blank verse as a restriction just to hide in that group of innocents who do, but it's unlikely due to this information. It's important for Town to identify who else has been posting in blank verse; this might get us ahead. And yes, this is the last of the information I have kept to myself.

I'm looking at Gopher/SDK right now. The former because I found his reaction to SDK's claim to be consistent with that of scum and I do not like his Zyth vote; that is two instances of what I believe scum would latch onto in the thread. Easy pickings. That said, if Gopher flipped town, I'd probably lynch SDK just because I think their earlier interactions are SvT. I've noticed that SDK tends to question those who come at him; it reminds me of scum holding a knife to those who challenge him in a subtle way. I know this is vague; the specific instances I am speaking of are when USN said something along the lines of "we must lynch SDK before his betrayal arrives" and SDK told her to go hunt scum instead and that her approach to him did not feel like one of an innocent. Furthermore, he did something similar to Gopher (his loudest critic, IMO) here: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=110252&start=80 where he points out Gopher hasn't offered much for the Town and that a lot of his play revolves around SDK's early claim. I do not think that SDK and Gopher are aligned, but I want to lynch between them because enough fits to a scum profile individually but not in cohesion. I'm just trying to figure out which one I want.

Gopher or SDK today. You won't see me vote outside this pool and I would appreciate input from anyone and everyone who is reading this.

Dje, you seem discouraged over the lack of interest in SDK. Please ignore that; I am really open to hearing more about what you have to say about him.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:10 am UTC

SDK, you had Dje as scummy. Does his latest post with more content give you any impression of him?

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:39 am UTC

That information is somewhat useful. The only person I've noticed using blank verse is Freezeblade, correct me if I'm wrong. I can see how they'd be more likely to be town but we can't use this to blankly ignore scummy behavior as I can also imagine "godfathers" for that sort of heuristic, like Macbeth.

As far as your suspicion of Gopher and SDK, I kind of agree that Gopher is scummy, SDK less so. SDK has been playing aggressively like always and it doesn't surprise me that they attacked their detractors, especially since they (SDK, not the detractors) made valid points. I agree that Gopher hasn't been contributing much to the town with his posts, but I think part of your suspicion of him comes from playstyle disagreement and I think moody is still scummier. I wouldn't be too upset with a Gopher lynch though. What do you think of moody by the way? What makes their similarly noncontributing behavior more excusable than Gopher's?

#HBC | Zyth

Re: Shakespeare Mafia - Prologue

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:46 am UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:
I have mod-confirmed information that tragic heroes have a restriction of blank verse.

The mod I asked, flavor is what it is
For this restrain, I have like you the same

I asked the mod early on about what being a tragic hero meant and it was purely for flavor.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:07 am UTC

Ineluctable modality of the visible: at least that if no more, thought through my eyes. Signatures of all things I am here to read, seaspawn and seawrack, the nearing tide, that rusty boot.

This quote in no way fulfills my posting restriction. It’s from my favorite novel and may or may not be relevant.

A few things I have not yet answered:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:@bessie
Why does giving reasons for your FOS and votes make someone more likely to be town? In fact, I'd say the opposite is more likely. Scum wants to stay out of the spotlight and if they simply put down votes for no reasons, I think that would cast some suspicion on them which they obviously would not want. Also, by saying it would limit my posting I meant that I would not be able to post as freely as I would like, but it definitely would not stop me from posting. It was not a contradiction.

I think that when you vote you should give reasons. If you’re town, you want to provide information. If you’re night killed for it, those reasons can help identify scum. I don’t feel as strongly about giving reasons for FOS but I think its suspicious if you don’t.

moody7277 wrote:bessie: How much do you believe there are lyncher mechanics in this game?

I do not believe there is a lyncher in this game. (If I understand this role correctly. A lyncher is an independent who wins if their target is lynched and the lyncher is still alive. The lyncher loses if they die in any way or if town or mafia wins. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I admit to being one of the more inexperienced players in this game.)

My thoughts about this:
Lunch Meat wrote:EBWOP,
I meant to add (but was distracted by my verse)
I lurked in this game so as not to make
It plain I conscious was of looking bad
In one but not the other.

I’m not sure I’m buying this. If you wanted to look bad in the other game but not look bad in this game, you could have lurked in other one and posted in this one. Please refer to my earlier post in which I said this about Madge:
bessie wrote:Madge are you even playing? She starts with a good opening post then nothing, even though she managed to make a post in a game that ended o’er a month past. Though this be madness, methinks there is method in it. Is the goal to sleep, perchance to dream? The undiscover’d country, from whose bourn no traveler returns, puzzles the will.

And finally to this:
Djehutynakht wrote:For Bessie, I do wonder about speculation with kings
Some points seem to me to focus on unusual things.
She points out his actions, but it seems not to be right
Restrictions are on words, not on making one a white knight.
What makes you thinks the way he treats people has to do wit his role?
In what way has that ever been a common Mafia goal?
(Saying "Yoloswag's actions seem Kingly" is a bit of a weird speculation. The only way I could see these actions pointing to his role is if they were required by such. And I've never seen a role requiring "sympathy for his fellow players’ confusion... supportive of each man... Perhaps this analysis isn't scummy... but it's weird).

I believe you are deliberately pretending to misunderstand me. I explained this thoroughly. I refer to this:
bessie wrote:As far as identifying YOLOSWAG as a king, I really don’t know if he is a king or not, and it’s not really that important. There’s a king/duke/ruler/general/etc in almost every play. Some good, some bad. And I don’t at all believe he is breadcrumbing that he is a king. Writing it up the way I did is really more about my character than about his. It is written in a way I think my character would think and speak. Oh, and about UniqueScreenname's remark that being a king makes him a target, I strongly disagree. If anything makes him a target, it is his double vote.

Are you fishing for my role?

Ninja'd by YOLOSWAG, Minestrone, and Zyth. I'll post this for now and come back to the rest later. By the way, Lunch Meat has a blank verse restriction.
Lunch Meat wrote:My deepest sorrows and apologies,
My absence I do heartily regret
I have 'till now been able to only skim
But swear I shall do better hereafter
A reread of the preceding pages I'll do,
And post my thoughts when that I have finish'd.

(I wasn't planning on using my blank verse post restriction, only the other ones, but y'all are making me look so bad, I have to try).

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:22 am UTC

TL;DR:
I read through the ones who have seemed the scummiest to me who I would be most inclined to consider voting today: freezeblade, moody, GoP, Madge, SDK.

The sky forebodes most foul and dark this eve
The gloomy rain and the obscuring clouds
Doth mirror the veil that shields our company
For accusations fly; yet who speaks true?
Would that the wise old owl would come and speak
And with his guidance shine on the right path

Below are those I will not vote this day
Their words ring true, a firm and honest look
I do perceive within their eyes; in their
sincerity I'll trust, at least for now
Unless another can persuade me that they lie:
UniqueScreenname, and Minestrone too
With bessie, amanita, and Yoloswag.
kalira to this company is new
And cannot answer for dimochka's faults,
Her too I'd leave to live another day.

For those accused by me or other folk,
I'll reread now before the day is done:
Freezeblade is where my current vote doth lie
Great many words he speaks, yet little's there
Has posted one reads post, and as I said
They seem unbold to me, and timorous
I'd like a response and more from him 'fore night.

The moody one gave a full list of reads,
One line apiece, which seems quite brief, 'tis true;
Yet this consists with play in other games.
His vote untying after that the mod
Had promised us more time's a graver fault.
'Tis unheroic, a sneaky trick. For shame!
I can conceive of no good reason why
A townie would do that. It's very bad.

The Gopher who doth hail us from Pern
Has many targets, yet it seems to me
They all are easy, those who draw attacks
And could be bandwagon'd: myself and Zyth,
And SDK, whose style perplexes most.
The Gopher 'minds me of nothing else so much
As a shark who lies in wait and senses blood.

Madge has a few posts with some content good
First claims "I like SDK but less so."
Yet answers not my questioning her why
I say if he is scum, she likely is as well

SDK has less posts than I would like
A dubious claim to boot, yet what he said
The day before today seemed very good
With penetrating asks and pointed talk
IGMEOY, but I do not
Think vote for him is warrented today.

unvote

vote moody

DJ and Zyth, though I could be convinced
To vote for them today, I'll not reread
Right now, for to my chores I'm called

My friends, I beg of you your thoughts, that on
The bright morn of tomorrow, we shall see
A path that's clear, and choose a target well.

Ninja:
bessie wrote:I’m not sure I’m buying this. If you wanted to look bad in the other game but not look bad in this game, you could have lurked in other one and posted in this one.

I just thought that would be too obvious. In my experience something so plainly scummy draws confusion more than votes; people are more likely to think it's just a mistake or a gambit. Clearly I'm not good at playing a jester though.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:41 am UTC

I have read through the posts of the Gopher of Pern
A threat I don't think him to be
He posted in blank verse at least once or twice
Though I'm not sure what that means for me

I did notice a defensive streak
In my dealings with SDK
It fits in with my theory he wants to live
If there's a darker side I cannot say

I'm more comfortable with the vote that I made
Than having to pick from those two
But if you decide to head that way
I daresay, do what you want to do

This blank verse business may make people ask
Why I am having to rhyme
A simple explanation there is
But I think it's for some other time

If most want me to claim why my speech is restrained
I will not put up a fight
But giving more information to scum
Is not something of which to make light

Ninja, but it doesn't change my mind
We differ somewhat on Madge
Her content is lacking, to say the least
As a detective she'd win no badge
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:08 am UTC

When we our betters see bearing our woes,
We scarcely think our miseries our foes

Yoloswag, your post confuses me. First you say the tragic heroes have a restriction of blank verse, and you mention it now so that it is easier to identify town, then you attack me, when I have been posting blank verse? (Not all the time, but then my restriction isn't as harsh as that.)

I gathered that everyone had a post restriction of some kind, and that their post restriction can give some insight into what type of character they may be. Tragic Heroes post in blank verse. Maybe villains post in rhyme? I'm not sure what other types of characters there could be. Supporting cast? But in any case, I sincerely doubt the type of character one is has any relation to whether they are scum or town.

Funny how LM thinks I'm targeting the easy ones. SDK is not an easy target by any means, and nothing has come from that. I've still got my eye on them, but there are others worthy of consideration. Zyth now, made themselves an easy target. They've barely contributed, posted votes without explanation, told us to count the scummy moves as null. I'm getting heavy pings from them, so I voted accordingly. LM I only had slight pings from you, but since then you have posted well, and your explanation makes sense.

As to other people, I agree moody hasn't contributed much, but it seems to be par for the course from them. Not getting much of a read. Dj, I haven't seen anything particularly scummy from them, so I am hesitant to vote for them, although looking through the reasons for the vote on them, bessie's seems ok, SDK's was ok, but they have since posted, and moody's was horrible.

I still like my vote on Zyth, so it's staying for now.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:12 am UTC

How does being a tragic hero guarantee you’re town? Unless my study and my books be false, the argument you held was wrong in you.

Macbeth – murderer of his king, of his friend, and of others
Hamlet – betrayer of Ophelia, causes her death
King Lear – his vanity destroyed the one who loved him the most
Othello – wife killer
Casius Martius Coriolanus – betrayer of Rome
Titus Andronicus – killer of his own son and daughter, among others, and doer of horrible things (really horrible things)
Julius Caesar – dictator of Rome
Mark Antony – adulterer

bessie wrote:If anyone does figure out someone's role, I would also caution against categorizing them as scum/town/independent based on your personal interpretation of that role. Is Sir John Falstaff or Marcus Brutus acting in the best interests of the town, or are they the villains? I could argue that if Juliet is indeed in the game, she is probably not town but is a survivor (by becoming Maria).

bessie wrote:The Maria line was a reference to the opening flavor post, and to illustrate my point about categorizing anyone based upon their role name. Juliet, Shakespeare’s heroine, is not necessarily town. A king is not necessarily town.

Ninja'd by Gopher of Pern. Hwyl fawr am nawr.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:07 am UTC

The totals of the votes wilt thou find here:

Zyth (2): Gopher of Pern, USN
moody7277 (3) : Djehutynakht, Minestrone, Lunch Meat
Gopher of Pern (1): Zyth

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:13 am UTC

Minestrone wrote:That information is somewhat useful. The only person I've noticed using blank verse is Freezeblade, correct me if I'm wrong. I can see how they'd be more likely to be town but we can't use this to blankly ignore scummy behavior as I can also imagine "godfathers" for that sort of heuristic, like Macbeth.
I strongly agree with this sentiment. If I was a mod, I would probably give at least 1 scum the same restriction just to throw off Town if they tried to break the game off outguessing restrictions and their alignments. I remember asking myself if was just as easy as identifying who's posting blank verse and I'm guaranteed that they're all Town then concluding that that is way too simple. I don't want "Oh, he's posting in blank verse, let's leave him be" to be a prevailing thought process right now.

Speaking of which, who has posted in blank verse? Gopher, Lunch Meat, freezeblade, anyone else? This is an open question for Town; I'd run back myself and look but I'm on my way out the door for work.

Since you asked, I would be completely fine with a moody lynch. My impression from him from reading over the thread is idle commentary and some townlists here and there; it kind of reminds me of an active lurking scum.

Aslo, I'm going to say that this: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=110252&start=160#p3680426 matches most of my thought process. I would be ecstatic if one of the players Lunch Meat put in her bad guy list got vigged should one exist and encourage a would-be vig to take a shot. I would also probably move amanita from Town to null, but I believe that slot will work itself out in time.

Current thoughts on our options are that Zyth is our worst potential lynch and one of the last players I would do away with right now. I understand why people are voting him, but I think they're having difficulty swallowing his minimalist approach to the game. I will say that if Zyth is scum it's unlikely for him to run the ball back the field, so I'm not too worried about him (lol :P). Dje I can understand; I want to see more of him and SDK interacting because I felt there was something fruitful there and his voting of SDK definitely interested me. moody I think is a great option and I have no qualms with. Ideally, we would have lynched Gopher or SDK today, but I just realized we're 5 hours from deadline and now is not the time to run off on my own and force something with such little reaction time.

Vote: moody7277

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:29 am UTC

I've been trying to post in blank verse from the start of the game but I'm so terrible at it that I gave up and wrote them in minimal amounts :P Also I'm going to say that the reason I said freezeblade was my friend was because I saw his confirmation post was written in blank verse and I thought "oh he's a tragic hero too!" so that was the entirety of it. I confirmed with the mod early on about what being a tragic hero meant and he said it was purely flavor.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:50 am UTC

^

Very likely innocent.

We will probably need your vote to sink this lynch. I don't know if you will be online around deadline, but be mindful of that. I believe moody is -3 with no other player online. Also, if you see someone view this thread without voting him considering the situation we're in, let the Town know.

I'm assuming we go by majority lynch here.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:23 pm UTC

Look here I try, deadline will I be there?
View but no vote? I will look out for sure!

unvote
vote: moody7277

That's L-2.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:33 pm UTC

I will say that if Zyth is scum it's unlikely for him to run the ball back the field, so I'm not too worried about him

I don't understand what you're trying to say
Might as well post in verse if you'll speak this way

If I am correct, moody's ahead in votes
But we don't need to hammer, I'll have you note

Explain better please why Zyth looks so innocent
But I'll have you note I'm not pushing his lynch
As a lynchee I believe he'll do fine
And I hope in him scum we'll find
I fear though it's his normal action
Which could belong to any faction
If he's town maybe he'll see
Next time more careful he should be
(I don't understand why YLS trusts Zyth so much, or why he doesn't think he's dangerous. I'm fine with a moody Lynch, but to me moody always acts slightly scummy, so it's more like a coin toss than anything else. Hammers aren't necessary here.)
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

Buddying hard twixt the two of you.
Is a cause for concern, town or no.

How the hell do you get townie from that? The only reason for being so definite is if you know they are town, which would indicate that you are scum, or possibly mason. You are defending Zyth mightily hard. I would change my vote to you if I thought it was feasible, but you have topped my list of scum at the moment.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:07 pm UTC

I've given my reasons for Zyth being Town; that's only strengthened with his reasoning for the early-game buddying with freezeblade. I do not think he is sinister enough to try and buddy an innocent off a posting restriction.

I'm completely fine with you voting me, Gopher. You're still on my scumlist and you flipping the tables on me without explaining why my townread of Zyth is scum-motivated does nothing to move you out that pile.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:11 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Current thoughts on our options are that Zyth is our worst potential lynch and one of the last players I would do away with right now. I understand why people are voting him, but I think they're having difficulty swallowing his minimalist approach to the game. I will say that if Zyth is scum it's unlikely for him to run the ball back the field, so I'm not too worried about him (lol :P). Dje I can understand; I want to see more of him and SDK interacting because I felt there was something fruitful there and his voting of SDK definitely interested me. moody I think is a great option and I have no qualms with. Ideally, we would have lynched Gopher or SDK today, but I just realized we're 5 hours from deadline and now is not the time to run off on my own and force something with such little reaction time.

Your reasons? You think he has a minimalist approach? That does nothing to address our concerns. I dont understand your next line. So, no, you haven't outlined your reasons. Buddying is a bad thing, scum love to buddy.

Please, give me reasons. I dont see any.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:15 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote: Zyth now, made themselves an easy target. They've barely contributed, posted votes without explanation, told us to count the scummy moves as null. I'm getting heavy pings from them, so I voted accordingly.

1. untrue
2. playstyle differences
3. untrue
There, I addressed your concerns with me.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:19 pm UTC

The votals proceed apace:

Zyth (1): Gopher of Pern, USN
moody7277 (6) : Djehutynakht, Minestrone, Lunch Meat, YOLOSWAG, Zyth

I will actually be about an hour late calling the end of the day, if that affects anyone's planning.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:19 pm UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote: Zyth now, made themselves an easy target. They've barely contributed, posted votes without explanation, told us to count the scummy moves as null. I'm getting heavy pings from them, so I voted accordingly.

1. untrue
2. playstyle differences
3. untrue

#HBC | Zyth wrote:Friends thing with freezeblade was me being silly and jumping to conclusions. Won't say exactly what it is but I will say that I'd prefer not to reveal it right now. No, it was not me trying out some crazy gambit. Take it as null.

We can add lying to the list.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:20 pm UTC

Perchance the votals might be incorrect.
Are there 1 or 2 votes for Zyth?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:21 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:

1. untrue
2. playstyle differences
3. untrue

#HBC | Zyth wrote:Friends thing with freezeblade was me being silly and jumping to conclusions. Won't say exactly what it is but I will say that I'd prefer not to reveal it right now. No, it was not me trying out some crazy gambit. Take it as null.

untrue again

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

I was sick yesterday and will spend my time elsewhere this morning, but a quick post before Day's end. Lord knows I only have so much time.

Someone asked if DJ's recent posts have changed anything for me. His long post I found uninspiring, though it's good to see him in the game. USN said that I've been a bit self-centered this game, but I think that's only due to my claim. DJ here again talks about that, not because he thinks I'm scum, but that I must be watched. Something in the way he said this bugged me slightly, that it wasn't a call for people to keep an eye on someone scummy, but to make sure that noone ever trusts me, if that makes sense. Set up for a later lynch (or even just making sure noone listens to me) is more the feeling I got from that, though I'd have to read it again to pinpoint why.

One thing that was more inspired was DJ's vote for moody, which I fully support. Jumping on the DJ wagon without reason (it was a new wagon based on old content, so there should have been something said), untying the vote count and ignoring my request all look pretty bad.

Unvote, Vote moody.

A symbolic gesture, but it is the best direction we have today.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:09 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Current thoughts on our options are that Zyth is our worst potential lynch and one of the last players I would do away with right now. I understand why people are voting him, but I think they're having difficulty swallowing his minimalist approach to the game. I will say that if Zyth is scum it's unlikely for him to run the ball back the field, so I'm not too worried about him (lol :P). Dje I can understand; I want to see more of him and SDK interacting because I felt there was something fruitful there and his voting of SDK definitely interested me. moody I think is a great option and I have no qualms with. Ideally, we would have lynched Gopher or SDK today, but I just realized we're 5 hours from deadline and now is not the time to run off on my own and force something with such little reaction time.

Your reasons? You think he has a minimalist approach? That does nothing to address our concerns. I dont understand your next line. So, no, you haven't outlined your reasons. Buddying is a bad thing, scum love to buddy.

Please, give me reasons. I dont see any.

With this I heartily agree.
Refusing to clarify is super shady.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:

1. untrue
2. playstyle differences
3. untrue

...is this for real?

Zyth just said he made that comment about freezeblade off of the tragic hero language. Him alluding to it in that post is consistent with such an action, not the other way around.

Vig, please shoot this man.

In other news, I am a little confused over SDK giving a few reasons to dislike Dj then voting with him...this is something I need to look over tomorrow when considering interactions between the two.

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:46 pm UTC

Until the deadline just two hours remain
The raven's cry doth herald coming death
Whose shall it be? We wait with bated breath

GoP, you say there are others worthy of consideration than SDK, but as far as I can tell the only one you've discussed is Zyth. You don't think moody or DJ is scummy. Who would you vote for if you couldn't vote for Zyth or SDK?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:13 pm UTC

FWIW, I was just following the standard "NL is bad" paradigm when breaking the tie, and I wasn't aware of the impending extension.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:34 pm UTC

Unvote
Vote: YOLO swag

Refusing to answer is becoming a drag

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:09 pm UTC

YOLOSWAG, the lynch doesn’t require a hammer, just a majority.

It looks like moody is going to be lynched. I’m not going to stand in the way of this lynch (and I couldn’t even if I wanted to) but I’m not switching my vote because to be honest moody always looks scummy to me and I’m often wrong about him. I would rather end the day with my vote on DJ, who I still think is scum. He posted heavily in the fluff stages of the day, and the frequency of his posts dropped off to almost nothing once the discussion turned serious (see also:freezeblade). He made a save-your-ass vote on me, which was OK. But in his next post he makes what I believe to be a deliberate misreading of an earlier post of mine which had already been explained by me to be incorrect. It seems to me that if I was lynched he wanted to be able to point to that reading of me as evidence of his scumhunting, and I wouldn't be there to inform everyone that he was ignoring a later post of mine. DJ was in favor of an extension, which is good for town, and I might move my vote off him if he was really in danger of being lynched because of this, but he’s not.

I think Zyth’s early posts and odd remarks to freezeblade make sense in light of their blank verse claim. I also think that the claim of playstyle differences is acceptable. I've never played mafia anywhere but here, but I’m sure not everyone plays the way “we” play so I am not going to hold playing differently against a new player on day 1. I do hope to see more content from Zyth on day 2, but Madge is pretty low on content too and she’s not new to this board. If Zyth is scum, we’ll figure it out and can lynch them on a later day.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:03 pm UTC

Tragic heros indeed post in blank verse
given this information, I was too.
And figured from start it was but flavor
to shade, shadow, and discourage mass claim
yet connect it with Zyth's post, I did not
Until the thought dawned on me at long last
and begun to collect a list, did I.
Of early posts posts where players may not know
that their restrictions may be yet tallied

Of Blank verse posters there are a few,
like Lunchmeat, but says he has others too
Zyths posts are in meter, but have no rhyme
Yoloswag posted in couplets early
yet switched to blank verse after a small time

There are these possible blank verse posters too:
Gopher of pern is in rythem no rhyme
yet his sylible count is quite varied
Madge before replacement could be as well
mixed sylible count, but notes "rythem hard"

Noted I have a second collection
USN rhymes couplets, mixes her beats
DJ seems to do this as well, and yet;
has at least one post with 10 sylibles
bessie earlier on rhymes her couplets
but has quoted shakespeare blank verse;
and claims her own restriction is quite hard
Amanita rhymes one couplet each post

Agree though with skeptisism, this list
for our "tragic heros," flavor may be
to send town on a chasing of the goose
and any from this list may just as well
have no restriction yet post for flavor
with or without a maclicious intent
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

Oh, as for my townread on Zyth.

Early he started off the game calling freezeblade his friend; it was pretty obvious that something role-related caused this comment. So there's 2 options there; he is either scum buddying freezeblade for whatever reason or he's town saying it off an assumption made because of his role pm. Zyth gains almost nothing from essentially softclaiming in a manner that links himself to freezeblade as scum; it's a player he doesn't even know (hence buddying being a bad strategy) so just saying, "hey! We both have a restriction so we must be town!" is a bad enough tactic that I doubt he would do it. What I think is way likelier is that Zyth read his role PM, made that assumption, and was excited to see that another innocent had such a restriction. I also think he shied away from posting not because of his alignment, but because he was having difficulty keeping up with all the poetry flying around. The sites we're accustomed to are generally less verbose and I promise the way this game started threw me for a bit of a loop though I think I'm adjusted somewhat now. I really, really, really doubt that Zyth came up with some kind of plan as scum to make some weird connection to his role in order to justify his early game assumptions.

Something that's bothering me is that some of the blank verse (me/Gopher/Zyth) pool have been quarreling; that's problematic if my information is to be taken at face value.

USN, Gopher, I am all for delving into other players' thought processes, but is my townread of Zyth really the scummiest thing y'all have observed this phase? That's a tough pill for me to swallow.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:24 pm UTC

A town read on Zyth is not bad at all
When asked for an explanation, you stalled
It took a vote to get you to talk
There's no good reason at all to balk

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:27 pm UTC

Just checking in to affirm that my vote's where I want it to be. Moody may or may not be telling the truth about their ignorance of the offered extension but I read him as scummy before that so my vote stays, not that I could change the outcome at this point anyway. I'm in the camp that the blank verse is mostly a distraction if we focus on it much besides slight townie points for those who used it. Speaking of distractions, I think the fight between Gopher and Yolo/Zyth was mostly pointless. Yolo and Zyth seem to know each other from a different site, so it doesn't surprise me that Yolo has a different read of Zyth based on their past experience. I read the whole "seems that we are friends" situation as breadcrumbing more than buddying, and now that we know what it breadcrumbed for it seems reasonable. On the other hand I can't blame Gopher for finding Zyth scummy actually scratch that, considering it's the first day of their first game here and they look scummy by our standards but not necessarily theirs, it seems like Gopher is trying to lynch the most scummy looking rather than the actual most likely to be scum. I also feel like Gopher has exhibited an unwillingness to examine other players. So though new developments might change this for me, I'm starting to favor a GoP lynch tomorrow.

Lunch Meat wrote:GoP, you say there are others worthy of consideration than SDK, but as far as I can tell the only one you've discussed is Zyth. You don't think moody or DJ is scummy. Who would you vote for if you couldn't vote for Zyth or SDK?

Let me be the first to second this question. I'd like to know GoP's third choice.

Return to “Mafia”