Ghost II Mafia - Grand Finale!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Ghost II Mafia - Grand Finale!

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:56 am UTC

Ghost II

This is a word game variant of mafia, where players have to guess a secret word or prevent a secret word from being guessed. Rules:

Spoiler:
I think of a secret word. This word is given to some players, but other players have to guess this secret word. Each player is given one of the following roles:
-Ghost: tries to guess the secret word. Knows who the other ghosts are.
-Villager: knows the secret word and tries to prevent the ghosts from guessing the secret word.
-Fool: thinks he's a villager, but receives a different word. If the ghosts guess the fool's word, the ghosts do not win. If there is more than 1 fool, they all receive the same fool's word. Sided with the villagers.

The secret word can be essentially anything, like water, earth, scared, tiger, Italy, kebab, you name it. The ghosts only receive the number of letters in the secret word.

Once players have received their role (in spoilered text), they have to give a short description of the secret word. Ghosts have to make something up. Ghosts can try to wait and read the other descriptions first before they think of a description of their own, or they can try to take a risk and give some general description right away, or they can try to pretend they are a fool. Villagers can try to give a very vague description, but not too vague since other villagers might think they are a ghost.

After each player has given a description of the secret word, players will discuss with each other who they think is a ghost. Like in mafia, players need to vote other players and can get one player lynched. A majority of votes will get someone lynched. If a villager or fool is lynched, a new round of discussion and voting starts immediately. Fools appear as villagers upon death. If a ghost is lynched, that player gets 24 hours to guess the secret word (they get only 1 guess). If the guess is correct, the ghosts win. Else, a new round of discussion and voting starts immediately. If all ghosts are lynched and they have not guessed the secret words, the villagers (and fools) win. If there is an equal number of villagers/fools and ghosts left, the ghosts win.

Moderator: Vytron
Original Game Credit: Lawrencelot
Size: 7+ (4-6 also possible)
Speed: max 3 days per game phase
Complexity: -
Setup: -

Players:

Replacements:

Sign Up in this thread. This is a trial to see how it goes skipping the Mod and Player threads and going directly to the action. Good luck and have fun!
Last edited by Vytron on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:53 pm UTC, edited 12 times in total.

Madge

Re: Ghost II Mafia - In Sign Ups

Postby Madge » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:27 am UTC

Thanks for making a thread, Vytron! I'm going to see if I can get you modkilled this time, too! ;)

Players:
1. Madge

Replacements:
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:07 am UTC

This is a cool concept. It certainly solves the problem of what to talk about on the first day.

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone

Replacements:

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:26 am UTC

Yay, now I can play too (although I love modding games)

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot

Replacements:

ajh

Postby ajh » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:32 am UTC

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh

Replacements:

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:53 am UTC

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh
5. mpolo

Replacements:
Image <-- Evil experiment

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:25 pm UTC

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh
5. mpolo
6. SDK

Replacements:

Just remember, townies, we can win this game just by playing mafia. Don't go too crazy with the word discussion!
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:40 pm UTC

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh
5. mpolo
6. SDK
7. JudeMorrigan

Replacements:

New User

Postby New User » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:15 pm UTC

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh
5. mpolo
6. SDK
7. JudeMorrigan
8. New User

Replacements:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:38 pm UTC

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh
5. mpolo
6. SDK
7. JudeMorrigan
8. New User
9. moody7277

Replacements:
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:31 pm UTC

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh
5. mpolo
6. SDK
7. JudeMorrigan
8. New User
9. moody7277
10. Gopher of Pern

Replacements:
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

maident

Postby maident » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:09 am UTC

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh
5. mpolo
6. SDK
7. JudeMorrigan
8. New User
9. moody7277
10. Gopher of Pern

Replacements:
1. maident

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:15 pm UTC

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh
5. mpolo
6. SDK
7. JudeMorrigan
8. New User
9. moody7277
10. Gopher of Pern

Replacements:
1. maident
2. WTC
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

candyfloss

Postby candyfloss » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:04 pm UTC

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh
5. mpolo
6. SDK
7. JudeMorrigan
8. New User
9. moody7277
10. Gopher of Pern
11. candyfloss

Replacements:
1. maident
2. WTC

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:45 pm UTC

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh
5. mpolo
6. SDK
7. JudeMorrigan
8. New User
9. moody7277
10. Gopher of Pern
11. candyfloss

Replacements:
1. maident
2. WTC
3. Reecer6

All I want to do is debut in this forum, how is everyone else so gosh darn fast???

New User

Postby New User » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:51 pm UTC

I can only suggest that it's because we have the relevant threads on our watch lists. If you want to sign up as a proper player instead of as a replacement, I don't believe there is a maximum player limit for this game so you should be able to go ahead and add a number to the signup list.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:15 pm UTC

Oh! Then, I guess I'll join directly. Didn't notice the ellipse.

Players:
1. Madge
2. Minestrone
3. Lawrencelot
4. ajh
5. mpolo
6. SDK
7. JudeMorrigan
8. New User
9. moody7277
10. Gopher of Pern
11. candyfloss
12. Reecer6

Replacements:
1. maident
2. WTC

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:10 am UTC

Thanks everyone, the game has closed Sign Ups and it's starting!

Welcome to Ghost, a word game variant of mafia! Please read the rules below carefully.

Game explanation:
Spoiler:
I think of a secret word. This word is given to some players, but other players have to guess this secret word. Each player is given one of the following roles:
-Ghost: tries to guess the secret word. Knows who the other ghosts are.
-Villager: knows the secret word and tries to prevent the ghosts from guessing the secret word.
-Fool: thinks he's a villager, but receives a different word (of the same length). If the ghosts guess the fool's word, the ghosts do not win. If there is more than 1 fool, they all receive the same fool's word. Fools are sided with the villagers and appear as villagers upon death.
-Other: To mix things up, a new, secret role will be introduced to the game.

The secret word can be essentially anything, like water, earth, scared, tiger, Italy, kebab, you name it. It will be one word, without a space or hyphenation. The ghosts only receive the number of letters in the secret word.

Once players have received their role, they have to give a short description of the secret word. Ghosts have to make something up. The description cannot contain the secret word itself. Ghosts can try to wait and read the other descriptions first before they think of a description of their own, or they can try to take a risk and give some general description right away, or they can try to pretend they are a fool. Villagers can try to give a very vague description, but not too vague since other villagers might think they are a ghost.

After each player has given a description of the secret word, players will discuss with each other who they think is a ghost. Like in mafia, players need to vote other players and can get one player lynched. A majority of votes will get someone lynched. If a villager or fool is lynched, a new round of discussion and voting starts immediately. Fools appear as villagers upon death. If a ghost is lynched, that player gets 24 hours to guess the secret word (they get only 1 guess). If the guess is correct, the ghosts win. Else, a new round of discussion and voting starts immediately. If all ghosts are lynched and they have not guessed the secret words, the villagers (and fools) win. If there is an equal number of villagers/fools and ghosts left, the ghosts win.

Rules for the hint phase:
Spoiler:
-The hint phase starts when it is announced in the thread, and ends 6 days after. During the first 3 days, players will receive their role pm. As soon as you have received your role pm, you may give a hint about the secret word, but no later than 6 days after the start of the hint phase. If you have not given a hint by that time, you are out of the game.
-Only one post per player is allowed, and no other content than the hint about the secret word is allowed.
-Your hint may not contain more than 100 words, and preferably should contain only one or a few words.
-No cryptography is allowed in your hint. If you are unsure if your hint violates this rule, send me a message before you post your hint.
-Only the concept of the secret word may be described, not the way it is written. Saying the word is a noun/verb or saying it is an emotion/country/animal is fine, saying the third letter is a 'b' is not fine. If you are unsure if your hint violates this rule, send me a message.
-The secret word itself is not allowed in the description, unless you don't know the secret word (as a ghost or a fool).
-Once you have posted your hint, you may not change it in any way.

Rules for the discussion phase:
Spoiler:
-The discussion phase starts when all players have given a description of their word.
-During the discussion phase, players will discuss who they think is a ghost and will vote for other players (Example: Vote: Lawrencelot). Once a player has received a majority of votes, they will be lynched. If discussion takes too long (more than half a week), I will impose a deadline. At deadline, the player with the most votes is lynched. In case of a tie, the player who had the most votes before the tie is lynched.
-No communication about this game is allowed outside this thread. You may use the Gojoe's thread to comment on the game, in spoilers, but it's against the rules to read spoilers pertaining this game on that thread.
-No direct quotes from the mod are allowed.
-Rules for the hint phase still apply here, except that there is no word or post limit, and you may mention the secret word in casual conversation.
-When a villager or fool is lynched, they are out of the game and may not post in this thread until the game is finished. Their role will be revealed, but the fool will appear as a villager.
-When a ghost is lynched, that player has 24 hours to post their guess of the secret word. Only 1 guess is allowed. If they guess the secret word correctly, all ghosts win. If not, the ghost dies and may not post in this thread until the game is finished. The ghost's role will be revealed on death.
-The discussion phase does not end until either side has won the game (ghosts guess the secret word, at least half of the players are ghosts, or all ghosts are dead).

Role PMs (with water and earth as an example of the secret word and fool's word respectively):
Spoiler:
5x Villager
Villager role pm wrote:You are a villager. You try to lynch the ghosts and prevent them from guessing the secret word. The secret word is water. You win when all ghosts have been lynched and have not guessed the secret word.

2x Fool
Fool role pm wrote:You are a villager. You try to lynch the ghosts and prevent them from guessing the secret word. The secret word is earth. You win when all ghosts have been lynched and have not guessed the secret word.

Note: fool's word is of the same length as the secret word. Fool appears as villager on death.
4x Ghost
Ghost role pm wrote:You are a Ghost. You try to guess the secret word, or lynch all the villagers. The secret word is 5 letters long. Your partners are Player B and Player C, but you are not allowed to communicate with them privately. You win when you or one of your partners guesses the secret word after a lynch, or when at least half of all players are ghosts.

1x Other
Other role pm wrote:???

(this is a secret role)

Over the course of 3 real life days, I will send everyone their role pm. This means that players can get a role pm at different times! (the order in which I will send the pms are chosen randomly) This is to limit the information you can gather from the time someone posts their hint. As soon as you have received your role pm, you are allowed to give one description of the secret word. No other content is allowed, just 1 post with a description.

Please let me know if anything is unclear.

It is now pregame. Discussion and questions about the game are allowed. I won't start sending role pms until tomorrow.

Vytron

Re: Ghost II Mafia - PreGame

Postby Vytron » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:18 am UTC

Glad nothing is unclear :)

I will now start sending out role pms.

The game is now in the hint phase. No discussion is allowed.

The role pms will arrive at different times. The order in which I send the role pms to each player is randomized. All role pms will be sent before 72 hours from this post.

As soon as you have received your role pm, you may post your hint. You have to post your hint before 144 hours from this post.

Deadline clocks will be posted once all role PMs have been sent.

Reecer6

Re: Ghost II Mafia - Hint phase (no discussion allowed)

Postby Reecer6 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:10 am UTC

(WHOOPS I KIND OF MISSED A LINE THERE. AND THE TITLE OF THE THREAD. PRETEND THERE'S NO POST HERE)
(I WOULD UNDERSTAND IF YOU MODKILLED ME RIGHT HERE AND NOW)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:42 am UTC

*PRETENDS THERE'S NO POST THERE*

(probably a forum issue since in other forums one can actually delete such posts right after making them)

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:32 am UTC

Sheep.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

candyfloss

Postby candyfloss » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:12 am UTC

Sometimes difficult to resolve.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:44 pm UTC

It can slide.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm UTC

Blue.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:53 am UTC

Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:35 am UTC

gothic
Image <-- Evil experiment

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:56 pm UTC

A 2-year-old

ajh

Postby ajh » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:11 pm UTC

Tome

New User

Postby New User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:19 pm UTC

Pliant

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:07 pm UTC

Views

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:23 am UTC

Pessimistic.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:04 pm UTC

Deadline Clock (2 days and a half from when this was posted.)

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 pm UTC

Artful Science

Vytron

Re: Ghost II Mafia - Discussion phase (All hints are out!)

Postby Vytron » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

Everyone has posted their hint so:

The discussion phase starts now.

Feel free to vote to lynch people!

There's currently no set deadline.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:58 pm UTC

Vote: candyfloss

This is a thing we should be doing.

ajh

Postby ajh » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:53 pm UTC

Yeah, totally.
vote candyfloss

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:00 pm UTC

I believe Jude and Madge have the same word as I.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:29 pm UTC

12 players, 7 to lynch?

Okay.

Vote Minestrone.

candyfloss

Postby candyfloss » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:53 pm UTC

A lot of these hints seem tenuously linked to the word I was given at best. But that's to be expected, given only 5/12 of the people who posted actually have the correct word. And even fewer people (2/12) have my word if I'm a fool.

I'm torn between voting for a person who seems like they tried to make their hint as general as possible (mpolo, 'gothic' seems like it could apply to a wide variety of words) and someone whose hint is clearly wrong (ahj).

I'm leaning towards voting for people with general hints, as only 4/7 people who don't have the villager word are ghosts. Relatively precisely describing an incorrect word could be either a fool or a ghost tell, but choosing a hint that could describe a wide range of things is purely a ghost strategy.

vote: mpolo

I'm not terribly surprised that ahj is voting me, given I don't think he has my word, but I am surprised that moody is. Sup?

Return to “Mafia”