Two Rooms and a Boom Practice Game (Endgame!)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Two Rooms and a Boom Practice Game (Endgame!)

Postby ConMan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:24 am UTC

I'm going to try to mod a game of Two Rooms and a Boom, a non-elimination-based social deduction game. This will be a "Practice Game" in the sense that it will only run for three rounds (rather than the full 5) with a fairly vanilla set-up, and I'm partially running it to make test that the rules are all ok before attempting a "fuller" game with more rounds and crazier roles.

Basic Rules:
Spoiler:
1. There are two main factions – the Red and Blue teams. Players may be on one or the other team, or they may be aligned with neither.

2. One member of the Blue team is the President, and one member of the Red team is the Bomber. If the President is alive at the end of the game, all members of the Blue team win. If the Bomber successfully kills the President by being in the same room at the end of the game, all members of the Red team win. Players not on either team will have their own win conditions as described by their role and they may win independently of either team.

3. There are also two rooms, represented here by separate forum threads. Each player is randomly allocated a role and a starting room, and there is no connection between the two. Players in the same room have various means of communicating with each other (described below), but players in different rooms cannot communicate.

4. Each round, the players in each room will elect a Leader. At the end of the round, the Leader will nominate a specified number of people in that room as "hostages". The hostages will swap rooms, and the next round will begin.

5. The game ends after the last hostage exchange. At that point, roles are revealed and winners determined.

Forum Rules:
Spoiler:
6. Don’t talk about the game anywhere except in the current room that you are located, or in an appropriately labelled spoiler in the discussion thread.

7. To initiate an action, clearly state it in bold, on a new line. For example:
Offer card share with ConMan

8. You may publically reveal your card colour or role (aka "card"). To do so, post a message as follows:
Public colour reveal: I am Red or
Public reveal: I am the Bomber

9. You may privately communicate with another player (in the same room) at any time. To do so, post a message in the thread as follows:
Whisper ConMan
and send a PM to your target and the mod.

10. You may privately reveal your colour or role to another player (in the same room) at any time. To do so, post a message in the thread as follows:
Private colour reveal to ConMan or
Private reveal to ConMan
and send a PM to your target and the mod with your colour/role in bold.

11. You may propose a two-way private colour or role reveal (aka "card share") with another player (in the same room). To do so, post a message in the thread as follows:
Offer colour share with ConMan
Offer card share with ConMan

You may accept a share offer by posting in the thread as follows:
Accept card share with ConMan
and sending a PM to that player and the mod with your colour/role in bold. They must then reply to that PM as soon as possible with their own colour/role. If you have sent or received the first PM in a share, you cannot participate in another share until the second PM has been sent (this is in case the share triggers an effect that may change your ability or desire to participate in other shares).

12. Any share or reveal must be accurate - you cannot lie in bolded type.

13. If your current room has no Leader, you may immediately appoint another player (not yourself) by posting:
Appoint ConMan as Leader

14. If you are the Leader of the room, you may abdicate to another player by posting:
Abdicate Leader to ConMan
If your proposed replacement accepts, they immediately become Leader and they may not abdicate Leadership back to you in the same round.

15. Any player may propose a change of Leadership by posting:
Vote ConMan as Leader
If more than half the players in the room vote for the same player, that player immediately becomes Leader. You may vote for yourself.

16. You may withdraw an unaccepted share offer or a vote at any time by posting an appropriate bolded message in the thread.

17. When the timer for the current round ends, you may not post in the thread or send any PMs with one exception – the Leader of each room must PM the mod the list of hostages to be exchanged – the Leader may not nominate themselves as a hostage. New forum threads will be created for the two rooms and everyone will be notified of which one they are now in, at which point the new round begins. Note that the Leader stays the same between rounds.

18. If, by some chance, a room has no Leader at the end of the round, one will be randomly selected by the mod.

19. This game will be played like a Turbo. Round end times are final (no extensions), replacements will be made between rounds as necessary.

20. The rounds will be 3, 2 and 1 real-time days respectively, with the timer paused over weekends. The number of hostages to send each round will depend on the number of sign-ups and will be stated at the start of the game.

Roles:
Spoiler:
Some combination of the following roles will probably be used in this game (exact list will be specified at game start):

You are the President. Your card is Blue. You win if you are not in the same room as the Bomber at the end of the game.

You are the Bomber. Your card is Red. You win if you are in the same room as the President at the end of the game.

You are Blue Team. Your card is Blue. You win if the President is not in the same room as the Bomber at the end of the game.

You are Red Team. Your card is Red. You win if the Bomber is in the same room as the President at the end of the game.

You are MI6. Your card is Grey. You win if you card share with both the President and the Bomber before the end of the game.

You are the Gambler. Your card is Grey. At the end of the game, before roles are revealed, you must guess whether the Blue or Red team won, and if you are correct then you win.

Post any thoughts or comments on the rules in this thread. I will open sign-ups in a reply to this post and keep them open for about a week.
Last edited by ConMan on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:10 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: Two Rooms and a Boom Practice Game (Sign-ups)

Postby ConMan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:26 am UTC

Sign-ups:

Replacements:
A.
B.
C.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:14 am UTC

Sign-ups:
1.Vytron

Replacements:
A.
B.
C.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:25 am UTC

Sign-ups:
1.Vytron
2.Madge

Replacements:
A.
B.
C.

Question: Are you allowed to read past posts in your new room? (i.e. you start in room A, and are then moved to room B as part of hostage exchanges; do you get to read the past posts from room B, or only the ones that are made after the hostage exchange?)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:47 am UTC

Madge wrote:Question: Are you allowed to read past posts in your new room? (i.e. you start in room A, and are then moved to room B as part of hostage exchanges; do you get to read the past posts from room B, or only the ones that are made after the hostage exchange?)

Good question, and the answer is no since I'm trying to emulate the physical game where you literally play across two rooms (and hence won't have any knowledge of what happened in the room you weren't in). I think I will have to start new threads for each room for each round, which is a little unwieldy, but the only other option is to muck about with direct post links and stuff to encourage people to only read posts for their current room and round. On BoardGameGeed they use the new round = new thread method. I will update the rules to clarify.
pollywog wrote:

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:14 am UTC

You could always deliberately double/triple/quad/etc post to put the thread to a new page, and then provide the link for e.g. p6 of the thread and tell people to go straight to that page and not read the rest (honour system).

(I don't know if different forum settings mean that people will have their threads "roll over" in page number at different points? That could be a problem.)

Alternatively: have all communication in thread in spoilers, but that's a pain in the butt.

Other alternatively: Ask all players in each room to edit their posts to be in spoilers at the turning of the day?
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:10 am UTC

Sign-ups:
1.Vytron
2.Madge
3.SPACKlick

Replacements:
A.
B.
C.

I would go with the separate threads method. I often use the search players posts for thread name function to work out what players have said in the past. It shows a preview including the content of spoilers of every post they've made in that thread which would risk spoiling on things said on days I wasn't in the room.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:20 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:I would go with the separate threads method. I often use the search players posts for thread name function to work out what players have said in the past. It shows a preview including the content of spoilers of every post they've made in that thread which would risk spoiling on things said on days I wasn't in the room.

An old timer's trick: load the thread, change "viewtopic.php" in the address bar to "search.php", then add "&author=<whoever>&ch=-1". The "ch=-1" is the important bit: spoilers break because search, by default only loads a certain number of characters from each post. "ch=-1" forces it to load every character, meaning spoilers work fine.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:41 pm UTC

RoadieRich wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:I would go with the separate threads method. I often use the search players posts for thread name function to work out what players have said in the past. It shows a preview including the content of spoilers of every post they've made in that thread which would risk spoiling on things said on days I wasn't in the room.

An old timer's trick: load the thread, change "viewtopic.php" in the address bar to "search.php", then add "&author=<whoever>&ch=-1". The "ch=-1" is the important bit: spoilers break because search, by default only loads a certain number of characters from each post. "ch=-1" forces it to load every character, meaning spoilers work fine.

Genius!

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:30 pm UTC

I'm also a supporter of multiple threads.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:01 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1.Vytron
2.Madge
3.SPACKlick
4. New User

Replacements:
A.
B.
C.

Separate threads or everything in spoiler sounds okay to me.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:39 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1.Vytron
2.Madge
3.SPACKlick
4. New User
5. SirGabriel

Replacements:
A.
B.
C.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:42 pm UTC

Still hoping for more - with 6 I might have to go for one of the more interesting character sets to keep it vaguely balanced (it would probably be President+Bomber+4 Grays).
pollywog wrote:

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:31 am UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Vytron
2. Madge
3. SPACKlick
4. New User
5. SirGabriel
6. Elmach

Replacements:
A.
B.
C.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:58 pm UTC

Elmach wrote:Sign-ups:
1. Vytron
2. Madge
3. SPACKlick
4. New User
5. SirGabriel
6. Elmach
7. bessie

Replacements:
A.
B.
C.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:02 am UTC

Sign-ups are now closed. Replacement sign-ups are open.

Sign-ups:
1. Vytron
2. Madge
3. SPACKlick
4. New User
5. SirGabriel
6. Elmach
7. bessie

Replacements:
A.
B.
C.
pollywog wrote:

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: Two Rooms and a Boom Practice Game (Endgame!)

Postby ConMan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:10 pm UTC

While I'm pretty sure everything is clear now, for the purpose of doing things the official way:

Final hostages have been sent.

Room 1:
1. SPACKlick
2. New User (leader)
3. Madge
4. bessie (from room 2)

Room 2:
1. Vytron (leader)
2. SirGabriel
3. Elmach (from room 1)

Madge, you are the Gambler. Please indicate which team (Red, Blue, neither) that you believe has won.
pollywog wrote:

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:27 am UTC

I believe Blue has won

Much like the #CHAOSKASS of Survivor: Cagayan fame, I did my best to cause chaos but in the end did not get what I wanted, though I got some measure of success.

Good game, all. I had a ridiculous amount of fun.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:40 pm UTC

A final check:

Has the President card shared with the Doctor?

Yes!

Has the Engineer card shared with the Bomber?

Yes!

Were the President and the Bomber in the same room at the end?

No!

Therefore (drumroll) ... Blue Team has won! Congratulations SPACKlick, New User and SirGabriel!

Also ...

Madge wrote:I believe Blue has won

As the Gambler, and having correctly guessed the winner, Madge also wins! Congratulations!
pollywog wrote:

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:51 pm UTC

And now for the post-mortem. I copied most of the forum-based gameplay from a different forum, and as we all know those things don't always translate too well depending on both the platform and the culture, so let's see if we can make this work better on these fora.

Please let me know (and this includes any observers, too) what you thought, maybe using some of these questions to help you gather ideas:

1. Did the six thread method work for the rooms (besides the inconsistent naming pattern)? Will it be ok when the game runs for the full 5 rounds?
2. Did all those PMs for everything work, or would it be better to have private conversations in spoilers?
3. Assuming we got a game running with a bigger number of people, would you rather keep it fairly vanilla like this game or introduce some more complicated roles (you can check a spoiler I wrote in the Gojoe thread to see some examples)?
4. Does it make more sense to run this as a turbo than as a slower game?
5. Anything else that did or didn't work well?
pollywog wrote:

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:01 pm UTC

1) Yes, I may be the only one who found the first round naming confusing
2) I'd prefer spoilers
3) Higher numbers, I'd say run a couple of vanillas before introducing more complicated roles, although I love the spy.
4) I think the pace was pretty good this game
5) nothing I can think of

I got very lucky that Madge wasn't sent over from room 2. I knew I was boned on Day 1, which is why I kept quiet but getting the doctor as my lifeline was game changing.

Right adding PM's to the thread.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:28 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:1. Did the six thread method work for the rooms (besides the inconsistent naming pattern)? Will it be ok when the game runs for the full 5 rounds?
2. Did all those PMs for everything work, or would it be better to have private conversations in spoilers?
3. Assuming we got a game running with a bigger number of people, would you rather keep it fairly vanilla like this game or introduce some more complicated roles (you can check a spoiler I wrote in the Gojoe thread to see some examples)?

1. I think the way having the six threads was the best option we had but still not ideal. Players shouldn't be able to see anything about what's going on in the other room, but because of how this forum is set up, anyone can see the number of posts in each thread and the name of the most recent poster, potentially giving them a lot of information about who was talking to whom.
2. I don't see any reason not to put private conversations in spoilers, since it is required to post in thread that you are sending a private message.
3. I would prefer to include some more complicated roles.
4. Perhaps adding the complicated roles would change this, but in this relatively vanilla game, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of discussion needed, so I see no need to make it longer.
5. I didn't like this particular set-up. With seven players and the gambler as the only gray, it gives too much power to whichever team happens to be appointed leader of Room 1 first.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:10 pm UTC

Congratulations Blue Team and Madge!

I still have some questions on the game mechanics. New User asked me this question Round 2 Room 1 but I was at work and didn’t have an opportunity to reply before deadline.
New User wrote:@bessie I can see what you're getting at by saying that it wouldn't be possible to lie about receiving a whisper in real life. But if there is a worry that SPACKlick didn't get your whisper, why not just send the PM again?

This wasn’t about whether or not SPACKlick received my PM. This was about what you are allowed to lie about in this game, and what you are not allowed to lie about. In this particular example, can you lie about sending a whisper? I would assume that you can’t because you can’t lie in bold, but that you can lie about receiving a whisper, which is what I thought SPACKlick was doing (this would be a valid by the rules). I should have probably just questioned him directly in thread but I really never considered the possibility that he just missed it. Lying about whispers won’t be possible if we use spoilers instead of PMs, and I brought this up in Round 2 in case ConMan wanted to try it out in the practice game.

My next question on game mechanics is whether or not everyone followed what I thought were the rules and signaled everything they did in thread (I specifically asked in the Round 2 Room 1 thread if all actions had to be announced in thread). Round 3 Vytron revealed his card in bold to me in a whisper and he said that this was allowed because he did the same thing with Madge. I made him post in thread that he was going to private reveal or I wouldn’t believe him. (I bolded a question about this for ConMan as part of a whisper to Vytron but I never received a reply. I didn’t send it separately because it was directly related to that particular whisper, probably a mistake on my part.) In this example, if there is a bolded reveal in a whisper that wasn’t announced first in thread, does it still have to be truthful? And are there some rules as to what and when you are allowed to bold as a means of confirming it as truth?

I’ll answer ConMan’s questions later today; I’m out of time right now.

Pre post edit: Forgot about adding the PMs to the thread, I’ll do that today too.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:46 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Round 3 Vytron revealed his card in bold to me in a whisper and he said that this was allowed because he did the same thing with Madge. I made him post in thread that he was going to private reveal or I wouldn’t believe him. (I bolded a question about this for ConMan as part of a whisper to Vytron but I never received a reply. I didn’t send it separately because it was directly related to that particular whisper, probably a mistake on my part.) In this example, if there is a bolded reveal in a whisper that wasn’t announced first in thread, does it still have to be truthful? And are there some rules as to what and when you are allowed to bold as a means of confirming it as truth?

I had considered [whisper revealing] on day one, but I decided that that felt too much like cheating.
My second gambit on day 1 was ridiculous in retrospect: it only had a 9/49 chance of working, I think. (If blue was one of the two people I PM'd, and they were also leader, then we would be screwed)

ConMan wrote:1. Did the six thread method work for the rooms (besides the inconsistent naming pattern)? Will it be ok when the game runs for the full 5 rounds?

1. Yes, I think it [six threads] worked out well.
2. I personally prefer spoilers to PM's.
3. I like complicated setups.
4. All discussion (in my room at least) seemed to be done by the end of the round.
5. In retrospect, everything past the first round seemed to be pointless. However, it didn't seem like that in game until round 3. I personally think the game would be best placed with a 2 mod 4 number of people. (So there would be an odd number of people each room). Not sure if that is true or not.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:01 pm UTC

Yeah, I think needing everyone but the leader to be around to steal leadership was a bit of a problem for red.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:10 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:Yeah, I think needing everyone but the leader to be around to steal leadership was a bit of a problem for red.

I expected it would be a problem for us, as you can see from my whispers to New User that I have now posted (although I'm not sure how much sense it will make until New User posts his side of the discussion).

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:35 pm UTC

Just saw this in room2 day 3

bessie wrote:Day 2, SPACKlick immediately offered to card share with New User and made him Leader before anyone else posted. I hope he tells us later how he figured out the game from the nothing that was Day 1. There were no other reveals or shares. I tried and failed to engage New User in conversation so he and SPACKlick must have already decided on a strategy.

I didn't figure it out. I knew Elmach was the bomb and I needed to keep the bomb in sight. I knew you knew elmach was the bomb and I didn't want to let that information out. I figured Vytron was red or grey because he didn't approach me or Elmach who claimed blue or you who was in deep discussion with someone who claimed blue. So I sent Vytron away.

When day 2 started I knew I couldn't vote the leadership back so to make sure neither of you had it I appointed New User (I forgot I kept the leadership and I would have held onto it and just whispered NU if I'd remembered that). Being in a room with bomber and 1 red I knew if NU was the other red then I was already boned, If they were the gambler I might be able to talk them into a guaranteed blue win, if they were blue team we were set. So I threw a high risk strategy and it paid off in the best possible scenario. If it was Madge that came over instead of NU I'd have been instantly boned.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:02 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:Yeah, I think needing everyone but the leader to be around to steal leadership was a bit of a problem for red.

This is mostly an issue of the player count and the vanilla-ness of this particular set-up, but also of the short number of rounds. With 5 rounds, you have a little bit of an ability to mess with the make-up of the rooms. But I agree, to some extent this game was decided by the first hostage transfer.

I would definitely look to clarify what does and doesn't need to be telegraphed in-thread such as private reveals. On that note, I think I'll also put together a FAQ for any future games. Any questions that you think should be in it? (One of the first questions will be "What's the difference between a share and a pair of private reveals?")
pollywog wrote:

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:11 pm UTC

I just want to say that when I got the gambler role I was a bit sad, because I don't tend to like playing independents; but oh my GOODNESS I had so much fun. It was amazing to play a role that has no allegiance and can just screw with people, but can't get voted out like in real mafia. I know I had absolutely no impact on the outcome of the game, but man, so much fun!!!

I agree with everyone else's responses to ConMan's questions. I think short days are very natural in this game.

Don't have time to read spoilers yet, but I gotta know: NU, SirG - did you come up with a codeword? At one point I contemplated the idea of saying SirG told me stuff, but decided it was completely out of the question because NU and SirG probably have a codeword so I'd look like a real ass.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:24 pm UTC

1. Agree with SirGabriel.
2. Spoilers, unless lying is a valid strategy (see my previous post). But I don't think I would enjoy a game where lying about game mechanics is OK.
3. Fairly vanilla unless we get at least 2-3 more players.
4. Turbo, the pace was right for the game. My only concern would be if the final round was only 24 hours, because deadline always happened when I was at work.
5. I'll come back to this when I have a chance to read the spoilers. :)

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:25 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Don't have time to read spoilers yet, but I gotta know: NU, SirG - did you come up with a codeword?

As a matter of fact, we came up with two. Although I haven't got a clue what circumstances would have prompted us to actually use the fake one.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:28 pm UTC

bessie wrote:My only concern would be if the final round was only 24 hours, because deadline always happened when I was at work.

That is a good point. 24 hours would have been more than enough for the final round of this game, but that won't necessarily always be true.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:29 pm UTC

@Elmach: Why did you share with the Doctor? I was sent to the other room and managed to get the gambler in our side, so at that point it was a 4 vs. 3 games, but even then with the doctor knowing who was the bomb it was impossible to win.

I agree the second and third rounds were kind of pointless, though all my chattering with the gambler was what made the game the most fun, but I think this was because the game was decided when Elmach and Spack card shared. Of course I sent us in our way to destruction by setting Spack as room Leader, but that was only because I never expect Red!Elmach to declare publicly that they were Blue (confusing all reds) but then reveal in private that he was red (so I went to the other room still thinking he was blue!) causing a lot of confusion (Madge said the depictions of what happened on that room D1 made no sense) and taking us a lot of back-and-forth discussion to finally conclude that Elmach had to be the bomb, and bessie the engineer.

If it wasn't because of the fun provided by Madge I think the game would have been boring, so I agree with Sir I didn't like this particular set-up.

Answers:

1. Yes, it worked. If you don't like doing it like this I think the only other option is to make use of Quicktopics. There are Mafia threads over the internet that use Quicktopics for the Mafia chatting, plus, it allows everyone to see all the private discussions after the game is over. Cheating is impossible and the rest of alternatives sounded worse than what we had. Of course the problem is the game doesn't even happen here, it happens at Quicktopics...

2. I also prefer Spoilers. It also allows spectators to read what is going on in real time. As I was a spectator of games for several years I do think it's important to also make their experience appealing.

3. I don't think the number of people is important. I also don't think complexity is important. I'd try to make a setup that is fun to play regardless of that role you were given, as in this one there were some players that were sitting doing nothing after the first day.

4. Don't touch the pacing, when everything slowed down we advanced to the next day making it interesting again, so I think the game ran at an optimal speed.

5. Yeah, I have to say that I'd like if the game was more mafia-like, though I have no idea how to achieve this. In a mafia game, up until the last moment it's always possible for all the sides to win (unless there's a jester that it's killed by the mod), and this causes there to be lots of discussion about how to proceed and analysis of past events. This game lacked that, because there were points at which everyone already have figured out the setup, and the game had already been decided. Perhaps it'd help the game to have actual scum that know the roles of their buddies without needing to share? (say, Team Red has A knowing about B, B about C, and C about A, but not the other way around?) Or having possible lynching/killing of players?

I guess I have a strong bias because of the place where this game happened, and if it wasn't on the mafia subforum I'd be thinking very differently, but as it is I'd rather this be a vanilla mafia game that has changes that makes it approach Two Rooms and a Boom (i.e. similar mechanics) instead of having Two Rooms and a Boom games approaching mafia mechanics.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:33 pm UTC

Oh yes, I think I'd be saying very different things if I got to be the gambler, president or bomb :mrgreen:

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:38 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:[...] causing a lot of confusion (Madge said the depictions of what happened on that room D1 made no sense) and taking us a lot of back-and-forth discussion to finally conclude that Elmach had to be the bomb, and bessie the engineer.

Actually, your description made perfect sense to me, as this post shows; it's only confusing if you assume everyone is telling the truth. But how did you conclude that Elmach was the bomber rather than bessie? I came to the opposite conclusion, on the assumption that the bomber would be more hesitant to share his identity.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:09 am UTC

We knew the bomber wouldn't claim red, so bessie had to be the engineer (because I was vanilla and blue wouldn't claim red).

The engineer would be the only card benefiting from claiming red, since that way the bomb and the vanilla can share with them and red manages to get full info.

Then again, we never knew why would the bomb share with the claimed doctor, but apparently that was just an extremely dangerous gambit? I guess it'd have been awesome if it worked out.

I guess a flaw for the game (when compared with mafia) is that people can figure out the color of people with just their behavior. Like you knew I was red because a blue would have shared with you. In mafia you never are certain of people's alignments, as everyone is town or are mafia claiming to be town.

Setting Spack as leader was a critical mistake if only because I didn't realize it's impossible to gain the trust of someone on the opposite color of your team: if you were really their color you would be sharing with them. So false claims like Elmach's would never really work.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:52 am UTC

I want to add that I was very glad that Spack laid the whole thing on the table to get me my win - I was genuinely pissed on d1 because SirG and NU were denying me information I considered useful to my win. I was worried people would be too much in "zero sum" mode to help me out, thinking that my winning alongside would detract from their own win. So that was nice. (Ditto to Vytron for being kind enough to send me into the large room at the end of d2 - gave me the chance to see Elmach's card so I could be certain of the outcome).

Oh and Vytron I was telling the cynical mafia boyfriend about what was happening, with you pretending to be blue (as far as I can tell) just for the fun of it, and he very emphatically said he liked you. So you have a fan, I suppose?

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:08 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Then again, we never knew why would the bomb share with the claimed doctor, but apparently that was just an extremely dangerous gambit? I guess it'd have been awesome if it worked out.

He said it in a way that made it seem like he was lying (imo), which in retrospect, was a very stupid idea because wine.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:23 am UTC

Just read the spoilers - glad you were thinking about my win NU. I feel loved now :D

I want to play another game of this!!! It was such fun.

spoiler: I only want to play if I can be the gambler again. so maybe not.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:40 am UTC

Madge wrote:Just read the spoilers - glad you were thinking about my win NU. I feel loved now :D

I want to play another game of this!!! It was such fun.

spoiler: I only want to play if I can be the gambler again. so maybe not.

I would make no guarantees. However, I would definitely try to specify a set of roles such that all players have a fair amount of investment in the game the whole way through.

As a side note, one possible weakness of the physical game is that there are a bunch of roles that are potentially boring, or annoying, for the person who has them, but that increase the overall amount of fun in the game because they let other players fake being those roles. Some examples include roles that cannot card/colour share, the "Clown" who must smile all the time, the "Blind" who has to keep their eyes closed, the "Angel" and "Devil" who must tell the truth/lie, etc. I might include some of these in a follow-up game (at least ones that make sense in the forum context), but I'd also try to find a way to make those people feel useful to their team's success.
pollywog wrote:

Return to “Mafia”